Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Why do I get the feeling that this ending happened entirely because he didn't have a good idea for a final temple?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DimiPZC
Jul 29, 2020

The very bestest!
I was expecting... I don't know, an actual ending? What the gently caress was this garbage?

I would have been fine with there being a bad ending where you gently caress up everything; Nite seems like they're playing you for a fool the entire game and I fully expected them to be the main antagonist or something. Instead your choices are "gently caress off and go home" or "get hanged nerd" and we never get any conclusion. What a lazy way to end this.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Definitely an ending that was a lot funnier in the maker's head. This is the sort of thing where if you had any serious feedback from anyone, you'd very quickly realize how bad of an idea it was. But it also makes sense, the entire hack has that sort of blasé nihilism where nothing matters and seeing something to the end makes you a fool. It really misses the appeal of Zelda.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Like I was expecting a betrayal. The faerie's name is basically "night". I was expecting you go through the final dungeon and at the end Nite goes "Hah you idiot you fell right into my trap. I mean my name is Nite, what is wrong with you man?" and you fight 4 ganons.

Not... this. Though I do appreciate the callback to the 800 rupees.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

You know a game has confidence in its writing when it feels the need to explicitly tell you which endings are supposed to be good and bad and you'd never know otherwise.

This was certainly something, I'll give it that. This hack seemed like it had some genuinely good level design and puzzle sensibilities in places, but... well, ending like this (either one) is certainly a way to ensure players are left with a bad impression of the hack, so even disregarding the fact it's dumb edgy bullshit it's still a terrible idea.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

wow that loving sucked

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Dunno if there is any plan to do the Malon version, but in looking up some background info on these endings I found a video that also contains the Malon one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_e7gbtfQ4iw

It also sucks!

E: Oh reading the comments, its NOT the Malon version, they just changed the skin. That ending is the "demo" version of the mod

Leal fucked around with this message at 19:05 on May 30, 2021

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Commander Keene posted:

Oh god, the "original hero" in the lorebooks in the library is just Young Goku, isn't it? They put in a child section and time-traveling.

That'd be a neat change for the "DX" version, wouldn't it? You do the last temple, get the medallion, and then the Zora ambush happens - so Goku uses the medallions to jump back in time and try to fix things from there. (With a younger, less-evil Nite? I doubt they can make the text on the fairy button change mid-game.) The fighting scroll would help make up for the sword downgrade.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Could a fairy be hacked as a boss? Not directly, but by making the game dump enemies on you until you kill a specific one, and you only know because the fairy's monster description is gloating a bit too much when you examine that one.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
That ending sucked but was also funny in the moment. It's too bad though, because the gameplay of this hack honestly looked pretty cool at times, and I even enjoyed some of the edgy storytelling and dialogue, but the super-nihilistic ending (both of them even!) misses the point of Zelda entirely. Oh well.

E: Also that was like all of the game's plot between the end of the Water Temple and...this. I didn't even know that the Zoras were supposed to be bad guys until basically the end of the game.

And what about the Spiritual Stones? Were those just optional?

Someone buy this hack author an account, I have so many questions lol

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 20:31 on May 30, 2021

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
It just seems unfinished to me. Why give you these items that you're never going to get any use out of? Why is there no Light Medallion? It's like the hacker ran out of steam and just threw this in there so they could release it.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Definitely feels like the hacker lost steam and said "gently caress doing another dungeon, I'm just going to call it here with something that makes me laugh". It'd be neat if doing the tower and getting the stone let Goku break out of the trap and get to the last medallion plus actually turn night back on. That'd probably just end with monsters overrunning all of civilization to kill humans, Zoras, Moblins, etc. alike though.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
:catstare:

gently caress all of that. This hack looked to be going interesting places and then it just deflated and listlessly floated around the room making wet fart noises. Rip in piss master of time. Rip. In. Piss.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

That'd probably just end with monsters overrunning all of civilization to kill humans, Zoras, Moblins, etc. alike though.

Do they deserve any other fate?

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG
I want The Pit and sandwiches back, this was just a disappointment.

Are there even 100 skulltulas, or did the hacker not bother with that either?

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

C-Euro posted:

Do they deserve any other fate?

No, and that would be a really good nihilist ending as opposed to the one we got which just plain does not stand on its own. I doubt people would hate the ending we got as much if it weren't all the ending there was.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

No, and that would be a really good nihilist ending as opposed to the one we got which just plain does not stand on its own. I doubt people would hate the ending we got as much if it weren't all the ending there was.
It wouldn't even work that well in that role: we already have the ending of Goku just leaving. It's just a lame cop-out ending that disrespects both the player and the mod itself.

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape
Yeah this ending unfortunately is bad enough to sour me on the whole of the hack. Like it is not just that it is a super edgy anti climax but it is also just so smug about it. It doubles down on the "some hero you only know how to do as you are told" stuff and then also feels like the author coming in to say directly to the player "you thought you would be getting more game but you fell for my trick!"

If this was much better thought out and not as smug then it would have been a consequence of not doing something important before trying to rush to finish the game. Like you should have been able to figure out the Zora's plot and avoid getting trapped, and then do the final dungeon and restore the night in a way that also ends the Zora's whole plan. That way you can get the whole "Oh actually bringing back the night was a bad idea why did you do that" joke but are able to make it have a bit of satisfaction by having it also screw over the (just established) true villains.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I also love the (probably unintentional) detail of the game playing the cheery "Medallion Get!" music over a shot of Link being lynched. It really feels like someone who has a long history with Zelda designed the game and then let their dirtbag kid do all of the writing.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Like I said, this hack is very, VERY dumb.

You should go try The Missing Link next as a palette cleanser FP.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
So the edgy teenage fanfic romhack gets an edgy teenage fanfic ending, huh?

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

So why was Nite even upset when Goku just noped out of this shithole? The door is open, the Zora are free to do whatever their dumb plan was and Goku isn't around too stop them.

The only thing that changes is a sham trial and a lynching.
They don't even need the medallions for anything.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Captain Fargle posted:

Like I said, this hack is very, VERY dumb.

You should go try The Missing Link next as a palette cleanser FP.

I have no interest in playing anything by Kaze Emanuar, sadly.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
It is definitely a shame that the game ended this way.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I actually saw this ending coming, minus the lynching, after the Zora were so cool about revealing the milk secrets after you saved all of time, but I really expected a dungeon and for you to save all of time first

What a shame

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
This game got an edgy fanfic ending. What it needed was a stupid fanfic ending, like having the king wake up in the trial, but now with laser vision thanks to astral projecting. It could even have a moral dilemna for satisfying multiple endings: do you let the zora get away with their fiendish plot, or do you step back and let the land be ruled by an old man with laser eyes?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

NewMars posted:

This game got an edgy fanfic ending. What it needed was a stupid fanfic ending, like having the king wake up in the trial, but now with laser vision thanks to astral projecting. It could even have a moral dilemna for satisfying multiple endings: do you let the zora get away with their fiendish plot, or do you step back and let the land be ruled by an old man with laser eyes?

What moral dilemma is that? Of course you let the land be ruled by an old man with laser eyes.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
The king suddenly Beamos'ing everyone in the courtroom aside from Goku would have been something, yes.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

FPzero posted:

I have no interest in playing anything by Kaze Emanuar, sadly.

I know very little about the modding scene. Did the author turn out to be a shithead?

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape
Rewatching the video and god it is kinda sad how much y'all made jokes that actually came true.

Also Nite's whole attempt at going "Oh you are such a psycho you just murder everyone" poo poo somehow makes everything even more eyeroll inducing.

EDIT: God I just realized that the whole "King can astral project and is trying to help you" thing was there for only a single scene to be like "lol i had a stroke" and was tossed away entirely after that exact single scene.

Black Mage Knight fucked around with this message at 01:23 on May 31, 2021

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Captain Fargle posted:

I know very little about the modding scene. Did the author turn out to be a shithead?

Something like that from what I recall. He was permabanned on SMW Central years ago, and I believe his discord has been described as a free speech zone type of place, which you all know what that means.

DimiPZC
Jul 29, 2020

The very bestest!
drat, that's a shame. Last Impact is like my favorite romhack of all time :(

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Yeah, the ending is... not great. Somehow what bothers me isn't the missing medallion, it's the spiritual stones not doing anything.

I'm not sure what exactly the status of DX is. I believe there are two main devs actively working on it, plus a pdf from a third guy about his ideas, but a lot of this was months ago and on discord so it's kind of annoying to look up.

As far as the pdf goes, we have:

A more readable pause map!

Ocarina randomizer quality of life improvements, like boots and ocarina on d-pad and faster block pushing

Warp song for the lake, the cave that used to teach Ocean Vibes instead has a teleporter to the ocean

Boss fights, being:
Patrick's pet King Dodongo, but poison-themed instead of fire
Bongo Bongo, but in a volcano
Ice Volvagia
Phantom Ganon outside of top of the temple (think the desert mirror room from Twilight Princess)
Milk Morpha

Additional Lore about the desert and Lozan

And of course, changing the ending. Link is jailed near the Divine Dungeon instead of in Abello Castle and has a stealth segment. At the end of the dungeon you fight The Master of Time, who's Dark Link but with Fierce Deity Link's model and increased damage/health. Afterwards, it turns out Lady Sagnol (does anyone still remember her from the start of the game) is alive and she restores time, then tells you the extremely fanfiction-y origin story of the Master of Time, who was actually a Dark Interloper from Twilight Princess' backstory. Link rides off into the night.

FruitPunchSamurai
Oct 20, 2010

I can understand the backlash on this hack after the horrible ending, but I still stand by it as one of the best hacks of Ocarina of Time. The gameplay and level design are for the most part genuinely good in spite of everything else about it. To say that the whole romhack is garbage because of the ending is underselling it. A lot of work clearly went into this hack, and it's a shame it was basically left unfinished. The hacker seems to have had a grander vision, but they were probably just loving done with it by the time they got to this point.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Black Mage Knight posted:

Also Nite's whole attempt at going "Oh you are such a psycho you just murder everyone" poo poo somehow makes everything even more eyeroll inducing.

This is one of the things that really bothers me; doing the "Link is a crazy guy who destroys poo poo and never talks" thing is like Pokemon fangames doing "hey, I was just walking my growlithe, why did you attack me" and stuff like that; it's been done a trillion times, and by someone better at it than you. It's also kinda like Nuts and Bolts making GBS threads on the first to BK games at the beginning.

FruitPunchSamurai posted:

I can understand the backlash on this hack after the horrible ending, but I still stand by it as one of the best hacks of Ocarina of Time. The gameplay and level design are for the most part genuinely good in spite of everything else about it. To say that the whole romhack is garbage because of the ending is underselling it. A lot of work clearly went into this hack, and it's a shame it was basically left unfinished. The hacker seems to have had a grander vision, but they were probably just loving done with it by the time they got to this point.

The thing is that you can really destroy a brilliant work with a big enough gently caress up. When your game's endings are "cockblocked and murdered by zoras and your own fairy," "cockblocked by a spaceship that exists for the sole purpose of cockblocking you," and "take a cold shower and head home to do something else instead," you are (to me) saying that you didn't care enough to finish your project, but instead of leaving it as an "I'm sorry, I can't finish this," you tried to pass off some cheap nihilism as an actual ending, before also reminding people that you played Silent Hill. You made really nice, fine wine with confusingly edgy packaging, got sick of maintaining the wine cellar and distillery a year early, and passed it out as finished anyway. That lack of care without warning just ruins the finished product.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Yeah, as the viewer/player you had something weird enough with things I recognize, with new ideas I both loved and respected, that you threw it all away out of burnout

I would have rather seen this with a long delay instead of the end result. I would like to see a DX version of this because it was 85% the way there, minus the final dungeon and hard to make cutscenes

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Thinking about if the creator just got bored at the end, I'm not sure on that. Don't know at what point the demo for this hack was made, but even then the ending was you getting tricked by the owl and killed. But with that ending Kaepora says "Maybe this will break the curse" or something similar. At least THAT gives some justification as to why they killed Link, but in this ending it just seems like they did it just cuz.

Is there a walk through walls cheat for OoT? I'm really curious to see what is around King Zora and if he has any dialogue if you talk to him.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

FruitPunchSamurai posted:

"The gameplay is (mostly) good" and "this hack is bad because the story is mediocre at best with endings that are actively insulting to the player" are not mutually exclusive things.

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016

Procrastine posted:

I'm not sure what exactly the status of DX is. I believe there are two main devs actively working on it, plus a pdf from a third guy about his ideas, but a lot of this was months ago and on discord so it's kind of annoying to look up.

As far as the pdf goes, we have:

All of that sounds really cool.

It would be amazing if it was finished/what the hack was from the start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
We should thank FP for this LP by getting him to a thousand subs. I'm number 999, who is gonna get him over the edge?