Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

BTW, non-transparent water + museum panes is probably some sort of graphics glitch. What graphical plugin and emulator are you using?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

White Coke posted:

Started watching Nimpize Adventure because I can't understand anything you people are saying.

please keep a log and update us on your experiences.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Quackles posted:

BTW, non-transparent water + museum panes is probably some sort of graphics glitch. What graphical plugin and emulator are you using?

I've fixed it for now by switching back to the bundled Jabo's graphics plugin using Project 64 v2.3. Unfortunately, the Pause screen displays a black background behind the inventory, but I'll just have to accept it if it means having proper transparency again. I'd been using the bundled Glide64 plugin during the first session.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

FPzero posted:

I've fixed it for now by switching back to the bundled Jabo's graphics plugin using Project 64 v2.3. Unfortunately, the Pause screen displays a black background behind the inventory, but I'll just have to accept it if it means having proper transparency again. I'd been using the bundled Glide64 plugin during the first session.

I would recommend GLideN64, which is the best N64 graphics plugin to date. (And is basically required to run Paper Mario properly. I've been giving this advice a lot).

GLideN64 is not related to Glide64, despite the similarity in names.

If you're interested, go to that link, then to the bin/Zilmar-specs folder, and take GLideN64.dll and toss it in PJ64's Plugins/GFX folder.

PS: I recommend M64P as an alternate emulator if you have time to try it out. Save files are cross-compatible, pre-bundled with GLideN64, and uses the super-stable Mupen core.

Also, M64P won't nag you for money - it turns out if you donate for a 'notification key' on the PJ64 dev's website, it sets you up on a monthly subscription with not much notice of the fact. :capitalism:

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

FPzero posted:

Inject the rom into the cursed GameCube. Let Luak rise again! :unsmigghh:

Damanation
Apr 16, 2018

Congratulations!

With the description of that new rom hack, it seems like they may be leaning into the edginess really hard to make it comical?

At least I hope that is the case. I hope they have Malon straight face every over the top edge thing they reveal.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Quackles posted:

I would recommend GLideN64, which is the best N64 graphics plugin to date. (And is basically required to run Paper Mario properly. I've been giving this advice a lot).

GLideN64 is not related to Glide64, despite the similarity in names.

If you're interested, go to that link, then to the bin/Zilmar-specs folder, and take GLideN64.dll and toss it in PJ64's Plugins/GFX folder.

PS: I recommend M64P as an alternate emulator if you have time to try it out. Save files are cross-compatible, pre-bundled with GLideN64, and uses the super-stable Mupen core.

Also, M64P won't nag you for money - it turns out if you donate for a 'notification key' on the PJ64 dev's website, it sets you up on a monthly subscription with not much notice of the fact. :capitalism:

I'll check tomorrow but I'm actually not sure if the bundled one I was using Glide64 or GlideN64. I can also try that other emulator a bit and see if it helps. Thanks!

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Quackles posted:

Y'all wanna know something awesome?! (may not actually be awesome)

Apparently a group is making a romhack of this romhack, called Mistress of Time. It stars Malon instead of Link, and is, I quote, "even edgier".

When I have release information, I'll post more here, but for now, have the ad post that was spammed in the Paper Mario Master Quest discord server:

I tried to investigate this but I guess it's being organized somewhere other than the hylian modding discord? What I did find, which may or may not have evolved into this since it has some overlap with the names mentioned, are:

a) Remaster of Time, a planned hack of Master of Time which I think is just improvements and not any major changes. Bug fixes, changed music, etc.
b) People talking about a hypothetical unnamed hack of Master of Time they want to make and what cool things they'd put into it. Not sure if any of this will ever be made or if it's just Idea Guys
c) A model swap hack that replaces Link with "thicc malon". You know, for the people who can't play zelda hacks unless they're getting a boner at the same time. But hey, they made sure it was fully playable on real N64 hardware! Wow! Mildly :nws: for N64-graphics upskirt

I miss when things were posted on forums, it's so much more readable than discord archives

FPzero posted:

I'll check tomorrow but I'm actually not sure if the bundled one I was using Glide64 or GlideN64. I can also try that other emulator a bit and see if it helps. Thanks!

I don't know much about emulators but for what it's worth I used Mupen64Plus I think? It has a fastforward function, since that's something you mentioned wanting for block pushing.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Was Nimpize the one that had the ending reveal it was all a dream Link was having in Termina?

As I understood it (and it was actually in the opening cutscene too, but that's easy to forget after a few hours of ice traps and the Pit) it was Tatl trying to tell the story of OoT to Link. Why she'd be doing that, I don't know.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Geemer posted:

Inject the rom into the cursed GameCube. Let Luak rise again! :unsmigghh:

As much as I would love to see Luak in all of his disproportioned glory again, its hard getting injections to work.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Quackles posted:

Apparently a group is making a romhack of this romhack, called Mistress of Time. It stars Malon instead of Link, and is, I quote, "even edgier".

Legend of Zelda: Reborn. :pkmnwhy:

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

azren posted:

Legend of Zelda: Reborn. :pkmnwhy:

Now that smiley brings back memories of a true train wreck.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Our first dungeon, and we're already shooting for the gold medal in 3D Platforming.

-----------------

Tonight, starting at 9PM EST (roughly 8 hours from now) we will be recording the next session of Master of Time on my Twitch channel. We're ahead of the videos by a little bit, so be aware of that if you join in. The start of the stream will signal the beginning of Episode 7, to give you an idea of how ahead we'll be compared to the LP episodes.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

What's with this talk about snacks that aren't sandwiches???

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Yeah that music is definitely from one of the dungeons in the Oracle games. Without looking it up I wanna say 2nd dungeon in Oracle of Seasons?

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Someone get Mark Brown in here to talk about mental maps and how ingame maps are for babies or whatever :v:

Scrub Cliff: Inti Illimani - San Juanito
Temple of Agility: Oracle of Seasons - Snake's Remains
Battle theme: Impaled Nazarene - Armageddon Death Squad

C-Euro posted:

Yeah that music is definitely from one of the dungeons in the Oracle games. Without looking it up I wanna say 2nd dungeon in Oracle of Seasons?

Congratulations!

I'm not sure the hack changed bombs? I've been rewatching Nimpize and there were a lot of instances of bombs failing to destroy rocks right next to them there too. I think Ocarina just inherently has lovely bombs. I definitely remember thinking the cliffs seemed a little thin but feeling like bringing it up might just get "get good (deku) scrub". The FFT1.3 hacker has a lot to answer for (they're not the only instance of this but I remember them most)

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Sally posted:

please keep a log and update us on your experiences.

I'll do the best I can, but I didn't have an N64 growing up so I don't know how insightful I'll be.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

It's the Linkathlon.

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!

Procrastine posted:

Someone get Mark Brown in here to talk about mental maps and how ingame maps are for babies or whatever :v:

Sorry for being ignorant, but...who's Mark Brown?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
The Game Maker's Toolkit guy. He has some...opinions, we'll say, about Zelda and Zelda Dungeons.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Legitimately thought you were talking about the guy who wrote the Arthur books and was deeply confused

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Artix posted:

The Game Maker's Toolkit guy. He has some...opinions, we'll say, about Zelda and Zelda Dungeons.

Does he actually have a point or is he just an rear end in a top hat?

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

He's definitely not an rear end in a top hat. He did a series examining dungeon design in the whole Zelda series and his preferences for a good dungeon were ones that require the player to keep a mental map of areas, that aren't completely linear experiences, and generally had some kind of central hub room for the player to be acquainted with and work out from and return to as you unlock more mechanisms in the dungeon, or find the central item. Earlier games in the series had more of this, then around the time Wind Waker came out the dungeon design was made a bit more linearly, which he doesn't prefer, leading to videos where he highlighted the best of the dungeons that he could but often came away feeling a bit disappointed by some dungeons. Naturally, people take this to mean he hates the games they love, even though that's definitely not the case.

In this case, I assume the tie-in is how this dungeon in Master of Time, the Temple of Agility, has a central room that we keep returning to, even if it's a linear experience.

Edit: Also, one hour until we start recording!

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

I'm just exaggerating for Comedic Effect but this was about the lack of an ingame map for the temple. Mark Brown's not an rear end in a top hat but he can get pretty into what he considers to be the "best" kind of zelda dungeon and he loves to talk about the player needing to construct mental maps of dungeons.

Only loosely connected, but I had a good laugh at his latest video saying "[zelda dungeon] requires the player to fully understand how the dungeon is constructed and the logic of how actions in one room will affect others to solve it rather than using blind trial-and-error, a beautiful example of dungeon design" and people in the comment section saying "actually we just used trial-and-error to solve that dungeon lol"

I guess the conclusion here is that dungeon design is difficult and you will never please everyone

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Procrastine posted:

Congratulations!

lol what is wrong with me that I can recall that.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

they’re not really even controversial opinions about the dungeons? like, “stone tower temple is great, WW and TP dungeons were too straightforward and easy, the Sandship is great but Fi needs to shut up, the Water Temple was a fun dungeon once they fixed the constant pausing in the 3DS version; BOTW dungeons were too short”. not really burning the world down here

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I was just curious because I have never watched any of this stuff.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Starting in a few minutes: https://www.twitch.tv/FPzero All done for the evening, thanks for watching!

FPzero fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Nov 29, 2020

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Legitimately thought you were talking about the guy who wrote the Arthur books and was deeply confused

I think that's Marc Brown.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

For a moment I thought it was the DaVinci Code guy lol

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Procrastine posted:

Early on since I didn't know the hacker and whether they were chill or FFT1.3-like I didn't push much on things.

Procrastine posted:

I definitely remember thinking the cliffs seemed a little thin but feeling like bringing it up might just get "get good (deku) scrub". The FFT1.3 hacker has a lot to answer for (they're not the only instance of this but I remember them most)
This is not a dig against you, but playtesting romhacks sounds kind of miserable.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I never claimed to be good at shooting galleries.

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
Ooooh, that bomb juggling is so dumb looking.

Watch the game not give you the bomb bag for a long time so it can keep repeating that kind of 'puzzle.'

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
With some jankiness and precision-platforming removed, that dungeon would probably be quite good.

By the way, another Ocarina of Time romhack was released recently, though it's of a somewhat different sort.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I called fire arrows several seconds before they showed up.

But honestly, I have to echo Carpator's comment - this dungeon could be pretty good. Could also use some visual cleanup.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Quackles posted:

I called fire arrows several seconds before they showed up.

But honestly, I have to echo Carpator's comment - this dungeon could be pretty good. Could also use some visual cleanup.

The visual issues don't change. drat near every area needs a complete texture overhaul.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
So far most of the visuals have given me a PS1 Tomb Raider vibe, which isn't what I expect from Zelda.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

To be fair, lots of platforming and climbing and bomb juggling is pretty appropriate for a temple of agility. And I'm fairly sure that's intentional.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

We get to town, and town has problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

For those curious it's not actually the Bomb Bag that lets you play Bombchu Bowling in OoT. The activation trigger for it opening is tied to getting the Goron Ruby