Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poorlywrittennovel
Oct 9, 2012

Captain Fargle posted:

For those curious it's not actually the Bomb Bag that lets you play Bombchu Bowling in OoT. The activation trigger for it opening is tied to getting the Goron Ruby

I think it got glossed over or the game never highlighted it, but finishing the Temple of Agility put the Kokiri Emerald in the inventory, so presumably that trigger is still here and the hack author just made it clearer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

That's a sign I've been playing and watching too many randomizers playthroughs, because in OoT Rando, the blowing trigger is tied to bomb bag. Or the trigger to get the actual randomized prizes is, I forget exactly. But in rando it's not tied to Goron Ruby, so that knowledge got mixed into here.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Abello Field - Link's Awakening - Tal Tal Heights (mentioned in the video but hey)
Abello Town - Link to the Past - Dark World (same)
Abello indoors - Geogres Brassens - Hecatombe

I don't have much else to say here other than I also really like the animated bombchu sign.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

I really wanna say that I think the Dark World theme is totally based off of a Smash Bros mix, because around 10:46 it swells up and there's a flourish I'm reasonably certain wasn't in the SNES chiptune. Granted, my memory sucks and it's entirely possible whoever composed the OoT soundfont version added that flourish, but it still sounded familiar to me and I think it's from a Smash mix.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I love the Dark World theme. It's my ringtone and I have no regrets about not answering it so I can listen to it.

It also adds a small level of anxiety to Randomizer runs

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeyUb2uvOv8

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

There is so much wrong with this town, and we haven't even scratched the surface of it all...

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
I honestly expected worse from the town; it had some interesting layouts, moderately funny dialogue and not all that much edginess (at least up to this point).
I really don't get what that zipper texture is supposed to be, though.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

It feels so weird to be hearing The Demon’s Dead from Doom 2 in a Zelda game. Hell, seeing that slaughterhouse was weird as poo poo.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Minigame theme: Katyusha
Slaughterhouse: Doom 2 - The Demon's Dead (as mentioned above)

Carpator Diei posted:

I really don't get what that zipper texture is supposed to be, though.

I think it's just there as visual flair. Some sort of wood carving or the like.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

romhacks were a mistake

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
This town rules, lol

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
Watch the Strength dungeon not give out bombs, but gauntlets.

Instead of blowing up rocks, you're throwing them.

Also more bomb flower shenanigans.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Just wanna say that I'm watching ep 5 and your cat is a true star.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

By order of the king, all citizens are now required to have Shield Hair

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

holy poo poo

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Misc. indoors (such as the borderhouses): Jo Yeong-wook - The Last Waltz

Here's a Sidi Wacho song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bM7Gf7eD9w

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

this hack kicks rear end

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
Edge time :black101:
Though the idea of teaming up with the Moblins against the Gorons isn't bad in itself; if done well, it might make for an interesting inversion of a standard Zelda formula and provide an opportunity to portray an entirely new culture instead of making just another Goron cave. 'If done well' being the key words here.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Are we going to get this hack on that "Does this game let you violate the Geneva Conventions?" gimmick Twitter account?

E: https://twitter.com/ViolateGeneva

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Dec 4, 2020

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

The new graphics plugin oversharpens and filters textures until they look like rear end, but at least it's easier to tell what's going on with the geometry. I wouldn't be surprised if the hacker used the same plugin to develop.

Mido might be out of jail, but his soul is forever trapped in a prison of his own guilt.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I mean, it's not like they didn't look like rear end in the first place.
There's a lot that could be said about all the techniques Nintendo used to work around how lovely and blurry N64 textures generally are and make their games look visually legible and appealing anyway, and how much of that is absent from this hack.
Master of Time has a habit of flooding the player's screen with repetitive, heavily tiled textures that wrap all the way around objects and make the different faces of polygons and different objects all blend together. And there's no shading whatsoever which makes interiors look especially bad. It makes for a game that's just kinda exhausting to look at.

Augus fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Dec 4, 2020

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

FPzero posted:

holy poo poo

gently caress, I just realized that the music on the file select screen is from Doom. It’s the e1m5 track, Suspense.

It could just be the author’s whims in trying to hit a particular mood and it just happened that those worked best for what they had in mind, but I can’t help but wonder if there’s gonna be some edgy nonsense that’ll show up down the line, especially considering the slaughterhouse.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Augus posted:

I mean, it's not like they didn't look like rear end in the first place.
There's a lot that could be said about all the techniques Nintendo used to work around how lovely and blurry N64 textures generally are and make their games look visually legible and appealing anyway, and how much of that is absent from this hack.
Master of Time has a habit of flooding the player's screen with repetitive, heavily tiled textures that wrap all the way around objects and make the different faces of polygons and different objects all blend together. And there's no shading whatsoever which makes interiors look especially bad. It makes for a game that's just kinda exhausting to look at.

The hack very clearly shows a complete lack of understanding about not just N64 texturing but retro low-res textures in general and what makes them work. No understanding of the extreme need for high contrast colours to provide visual clarity. Even less understanding of how to use that contrast to create the illusion of depth. No attempts whatsoever to compensate for the lack of dynamic lighting on retro hardware through shading. No attempts to soften the way low res textures tile. Most egregious of all is the total disregard for the idea of conservation of detail. It fails at each and every aspect of texture design and the result, as you can plainly tell, is a kind of visual slurry that puts a constant strain on the player and their ability to actually perceive what it is you're putting in front of them.

Captain Fargle fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Dec 5, 2020

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG
So happy to see the sandwich/Pit crew return.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

XavierGenisi posted:

gently caress, I just realized that the music on the file select screen is from Doom. It’s the e1m5 track, Suspense.

It could just be the author’s whims in trying to hit a particular mood and it just happened that those worked best for what they had in mind

Yeah. To be fair I always thought of the LttP Dark World theme as quite a happy tune.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I'll be honest, while the textures are not as good as the original game I don't find them that bad to experience while playing? :shrug: I think they're merely okay so far, where Ocarina was pretty good/great.

One handrail, that's all I'm asking.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
The textures are ugly and occasionally clash or blend together, but it is rarely unreadable. It's just visually ugly and has lots of hard angles that don't help
I wish we could get more fairy dialogue, I know we're all trained to ignore Navi, but I want to hear the edgy French take on everything in the game world

Those blocks of time at the end though :perfect:

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

We're going to be recording/streaming again tonight at 9PM EST, roughly three and a half hours from now. Once more, it'll be on my Twitch channel. We'll be ahead of the LP's episodes by a little bit, starting from what will eventually be episode 13.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

FPzero posted:

I'll be honest, while the textures are not as good as the original game I don't find them that bad to experience while playing? :shrug: I think they're merely okay so far, where Ocarina was pretty good/great.

I mean it's not the worst thing in the world but I just generally find the hack really hard to look at, especially in the houses and some of the dungeons.
it is a romhack though so it's not like I'd expect professional-quality texture work

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

The Door Frame posted:

The textures are ugly and occasionally clash or blend together, but it is rarely unreadable. It's just visually ugly and has lots of hard angles that don't help
I wish we could get more fairy dialogue, I know we're all trained to ignore Navi, but I want to hear the edgy French take on everything in the game world

Those blocks of time at the end though :perfect:

That was pure intimidation for the savvy first timer.

Given this is a post nimpize world, LET ME IIIIIIIIN

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Abello Castle: Mordechai Gebirtig - Arbetlose Marsch

I remember saying "maybe use a different word here" to the hacker about "nimrod" but didn't explain the bugs bunny thing so it stuck. Oh well.

According to TCRF the birds are an unused actor in OoT that flap their wings but don't move. Their model was reused in Majora for the moon field area.

The video ends just before the part I wanted to talk about. Next time.

Miacis
Oct 9, 2012

Get off my lawn!!
The goofy writing certainly doesn't disappoint. Even with the French peering through, there's such a goofy bluntness to it all.

XavierGenisi posted:

It could just be the author’s whims in trying to hit a particular mood and it just happened that those worked best for what they had in mind, but I can’t help but wonder if there’s gonna be some edgy nonsense that’ll show up down the line, especially considering the slaughterhouse.
Based on some of the other tracks, I think he's deliberately going for oddball musical sources that happen to be fit the mood and sound unconspicuous.

Like, the indoors Abello song, Georges Brassens - Hécatombe, is essentially an anarchist song about a bunch of housewifes wackily beating up a bunch of cops at a village market. But it's also set to a pleasant guitar tune, so it's pretty inconspicuous.

... Then again, considering how all the guards in this game have been aggressive, incompetent or both, it's still pretty fitting.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Did Doom really have that much music worth porting over? I haven't played in years, but I don't remember anything that stood out. In fact, if I remember correctly, a lot of it sounded pretty similar

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I shouldn't have laughed but it was just so out there.

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape
In your average game the whole reason behind a character going "I am partially dead and am helping you as a spirit" is something special or magical or just something that would tie into the plot and be something you have to solve. Here it is just "I am old and got a bad heart but check what I can do now!"

One can only hope this games quirky sense of humor will continue because man it is a surprising high point of this hack so far.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Black Mage Knight posted:

In your average game the whole reason behind a character going "I am partially dead and am helping you as a spirit" is something special or magical or just something that would tie into the plot and be something you have to solve. Here it is just "I am old and got a bad heart but check what I can do now!"

One can only hope this games quirky sense of humor will continue because man it is a surprising high point of this hack so far.

I have good news and bad news.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I watched these two most recent updates back-to-back and I'm losing my mind.

Also I'm pretty sure that I saw a ladder on the side of the entrance to the Lanza(?) gatehouse. The one with the boulder over the door and the torch that seemingly did nothing once lit.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Captain Fargle posted:

I have good news and bad news.

Hey all, I just want to reinforce that this is a blind LP, and so while this is minor overall, alluding to the tonal beats of the plot isn't a great thing to do. It's way more fun to discover everything for ourselves, so please don't allude to anything we haven't seen yet.

I've gone ahead and added a mention of it being a Blind LP to the OP, since it was previously only implied.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Black Mage Knight posted:

If the explanation I heard in another playthrough is correct, apparently the Rauru model isn't set up to function as an actual NPC; the dev couldn't find a way to make him talk outside cutscenes.

"I learned astral projection to compensate for my locked-in syndrome" is still a hell of a cognitive jump from that, though.