Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

I have a fun story to tell about this hack: I was a beta tester for it! Mainly I proofread ESL errors but looks like I missed some, oops :v: Early on since I didn't know the hacker and whether they were chill or FFT1.3-like I didn't push much on things. After the hack was feature-complete I meant to go back and replay it before it was released to catch things I missed the first time, but, uh, I didn't, so now you get ESL stuff early on that goes away as the hack progresses.

Augus posted:

don't mind Link's hair, he's just going through a phase.
I'm pretty sure the glass on those museum displays is supposed to actually be transparent? that might be another emulator plug-in issue.

Can confirm that the museum displays are supposed to be transparent.

Fun fact: don camilo's youtube channel has the full soundtrack on it, so you can find out what all the midis are from! Don't actually look at the video, it has spoilers, but I'll repost the songs we've heard:

Intro cutscene: Turok 2 - The Hub
Main theme: Antonin Dvorak - Humoresque No. 1
Owl theme: He's Our Comrade Kim Jong Il
Sagnol indoors: Mission Impossible 64 - Embassy Function
Sagnol village: Lyric song of Sormovo

No, I don't know why the owl is kim jong-il

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Commander Keene posted:

My guess is English as a Second Language.

Yeah this. From Context Clues from the hack and on discord and the kinds of grammar mistakes in the beta I think their native language is French? I never actually asked though.

Geemer posted:

This time take everybody who posted in the thread home.

Country roads, take me home, to the pit, I belong,

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Hey want to see something hosed up?

The ladders in Sagnol used to blend in really well with the wall textures. I feel like getting the hacker to change them to be more visible is my greatest contribution to this hack, because hoo boy scouring the entire village looking for the ocarina was pretty miserable before! I remember saying "hmm not sure about this" about the switch "puzzle" but it never got changed, oh well. Pretend it's a reference to the end of the sewers in LttP with the two switches. I reported a number of "big chest animation on small chest" bugs but oops looks like I missed one. Also I don't remember Graveyard Kid being present in the beta, weird.

Our music selection for today is:

Sagnol tomb: Summoning - Long Lost to Where No Pathway Goes
Grotto theme: Arena - Song 11

Goku's List of Crimes So Far:
  • Stole Talon's medicine fund
  • Desecrated a tomb
Expect this list to expand as the game continues

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Quackles posted:

Y'all wanna know something awesome?! (may not actually be awesome)

Apparently a group is making a romhack of this romhack, called Mistress of Time. It stars Malon instead of Link, and is, I quote, "even edgier".

When I have release information, I'll post more here, but for now, have the ad post that was spammed in the Paper Mario Master Quest discord server:

I tried to investigate this but I guess it's being organized somewhere other than the hylian modding discord? What I did find, which may or may not have evolved into this since it has some overlap with the names mentioned, are:

a) Remaster of Time, a planned hack of Master of Time which I think is just improvements and not any major changes. Bug fixes, changed music, etc.
b) People talking about a hypothetical unnamed hack of Master of Time they want to make and what cool things they'd put into it. Not sure if any of this will ever be made or if it's just Idea Guys
c) A model swap hack that replaces Link with "thicc malon". You know, for the people who can't play zelda hacks unless they're getting a boner at the same time. But hey, they made sure it was fully playable on real N64 hardware! Wow! Mildly :nws: for N64-graphics upskirt

I miss when things were posted on forums, it's so much more readable than discord archives

FPzero posted:

I'll check tomorrow but I'm actually not sure if the bundled one I was using Glide64 or GlideN64. I can also try that other emulator a bit and see if it helps. Thanks!

I don't know much about emulators but for what it's worth I used Mupen64Plus I think? It has a fastforward function, since that's something you mentioned wanting for block pushing.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Someone get Mark Brown in here to talk about mental maps and how ingame maps are for babies or whatever :v:

Scrub Cliff: Inti Illimani - San Juanito
Temple of Agility: Oracle of Seasons - Snake's Remains
Battle theme: Impaled Nazarene - Armageddon Death Squad

C-Euro posted:

Yeah that music is definitely from one of the dungeons in the Oracle games. Without looking it up I wanna say 2nd dungeon in Oracle of Seasons?

Congratulations!

I'm not sure the hack changed bombs? I've been rewatching Nimpize and there were a lot of instances of bombs failing to destroy rocks right next to them there too. I think Ocarina just inherently has lovely bombs. I definitely remember thinking the cliffs seemed a little thin but feeling like bringing it up might just get "get good (deku) scrub". The FFT1.3 hacker has a lot to answer for (they're not the only instance of this but I remember them most)

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

I'm just exaggerating for Comedic Effect but this was about the lack of an ingame map for the temple. Mark Brown's not an rear end in a top hat but he can get pretty into what he considers to be the "best" kind of zelda dungeon and he loves to talk about the player needing to construct mental maps of dungeons.

Only loosely connected, but I had a good laugh at his latest video saying "[zelda dungeon] requires the player to fully understand how the dungeon is constructed and the logic of how actions in one room will affect others to solve it rather than using blind trial-and-error, a beautiful example of dungeon design" and people in the comment section saying "actually we just used trial-and-error to solve that dungeon lol"

I guess the conclusion here is that dungeon design is difficult and you will never please everyone

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Abello Field - Link's Awakening - Tal Tal Heights (mentioned in the video but hey)
Abello Town - Link to the Past - Dark World (same)
Abello indoors - Geogres Brassens - Hecatombe

I don't have much else to say here other than I also really like the animated bombchu sign.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Minigame theme: Katyusha
Slaughterhouse: Doom 2 - The Demon's Dead (as mentioned above)

Carpator Diei posted:

I really don't get what that zipper texture is supposed to be, though.

I think it's just there as visual flair. Some sort of wood carving or the like.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

romhacks were a mistake

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Misc. indoors (such as the borderhouses): Jo Yeong-wook - The Last Waltz

Here's a Sidi Wacho song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bM7Gf7eD9w

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Abello Castle: Mordechai Gebirtig - Arbetlose Marsch

I remember saying "maybe use a different word here" to the hacker about "nimrod" but didn't explain the bugs bunny thing so it stuck. Oh well.

According to TCRF the birds are an unused actor in OoT that flap their wings but don't move. Their model was reused in Majora for the moon field area.

The video ends just before the part I wanted to talk about. Next time.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Temple of Strength: Settlers 2

King Routelika was inspired by Abdelaziz Bouteflika, former president of Algeria, who was paralyzed after a stroke. No idea if he could astral project though.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Abello Lake: Breath of Fire 2 - Overworld (also in the intro cutscene as mentioned somewhere upthread)
Zora's Lair: Summoning - Grey Heavens
Diving Game: Malmsteen Yngwie - Classical Exercises

Fun beta test facts: I had a hell of a time with the diving game and decided "gently caress it I don't care if I get told to git gud this is ridiculous". Said something along the lines of "the horizontal kelp, the vertical kelp and the clams is too much. Maybe two out of three would be reasonable". Looks like the hacker's response was... to have a Zora tell you that killing the clams before diving is an option. I guess that's fair? FP cleared the diving game first try because he's good at video games (also the clams played nice) but if the clams attack you while diving it interrupts your dive, and while the rupees generate bubbles, so does Link, so it's hard to tell if there's a rupee under you or if it's just Link's bubbles.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Canyon: Victor Jara - Vientos Del Pueblo

God I love the slaughterhouse

Procrastine posted:

Goku's List of Crimes So Far:
  • Stole Talon's medicine fund
  • Desecrated a tomb
Expect this list to expand as the game continues

FPzero posted:

I think you can also add
-Stole from the town emergency supplies
-Stole a priceless artifact from a museum

:allears:
  • Burned a child alive

While I'm making lists, an iron knuckle count was mentioned, so for reference, here's the knuckle count from Nimpize:
3 at once in the Ice Cavern, with ice physics (I say "at once" but you could activate them one at a time)
1 used as a hookshot target in the sandy room in Spirit Temple
1 in the Shiekah Crypt as a child, so half sword damage
2 at once that jump-scared FP, in the same room as above
1 in the Farore's Wind wing of Spirit Temple, part of one of The Dumbest Puzzles
1 in Dragmire Shrine needed to destroy chairs (but make sure you break both chairs because they both have chests!)
1 in the lower area of the Water Temple, fought in a tiny arena bordered by a bottomless pit, with ice physics
1 in the lower east wing of Spirit Temple, fought through a grate while Goku stands on a tiny platform
The Spirit Temple Nabooru fight
2 in the spirit section of Ganon's castle (fought separately), one was needed to destroy a chair and also was spawned through some esoteric trigger
2 in different rooms in the escape from Ganon's Castle
Total Nimpize knuckle count: 16

Looking forward to finding out which hack has more knuckles!

Craig K posted:

mmm, delicious kokiri

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

*salutes*

Black Mage Knight posted:

*salutes*

So without going into any spoilers is it known if this hack has any custom scripted items or enemies and the like? Hell is it even possible in the current state of Ocarina hacking to implement custom/altered items and enemies or even just insert items/functions/enemies from Majora?

No custom C-items but there's some new passive items. The Missing Link has a custom C-item and boss but that's Kaze and it's still kinda janky imo.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Kalki's Forest: Medievil - The Crystal Caves

You left this video unlisted btw

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Patrick's Manor: Skies of Arcadia - Dungeon Cave

Craig K posted:

i'm not french, who are the two portraits in the first room we arrowed

Patrick and Isabelle Balkany. Looking into it, Patrick committed tax fraud in addition to corruption, just a swell guy all around.
edit: gently caress, beaten

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Leal posted:

I was expecting some sort of puzzle to be done with notfarore's wind. Isn't there a trick you can do in the spirit temple of OG OoT with farore's wind?

You might be thinking of Nimpize, which had a weird farore's wind puzzle in the spirit temple

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Forest grottos: Daggerfall - Song 16

This is all I can think of when I see the "I'm so thirsty" text:

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

A Christmas Journey into the Malon Mod

This is a Naruto character I think???

what

There's a weird recurring theme of Malon being purer than everyone else

Latin out of nowhere

There's just weird edgy stuff inserted into random NPC dialogue for no reason

ok????

Malon and Link are in love do you get it

Enemy hint text is just completely off the rails

Imagine this conversation like half a dozen times and you have most of the town dialogue

After the random Latin there's this weird obsession with Roman Legions

MAXIMUM OVEREDGE

gently caress you

Those drat vegan activists!!!

This random Goron tells us Malon's fanfiction backstory and how Ganondorf was an alpha man unlike Talon

This guard doesn't hit on Malon, because he is devoted to his wife

Here's a bunch of poems I guess the hacker liked? Also, again with the Latin

In conclusion: Malon Mod bad

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

The Ocarina devs knew the ice arrows were trash lol

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Goron Cave: "Reggae 1" what the gently caress does this mean

I remember bringing up the "Us" thing while proofreading and was just told it was intentional so :shrug:
I never asked about the slavery thing because frankly I was afraid to ask but I think (hope) it's meant to be a dark joke about Link caring more about collecting McGuffins than what's right. Kind of like the jiggy in Banjo-Tooie where you just murder someone

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

C-Euro posted:

What if this is the racist cousins cave and then you meet the one non-racist Goron elsewhere? "Ugh I'm sorry you had to deal with them, I don't know where they got those ideas"

We met him already, he was in town with Mido

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Please watch the video before reading this post. Thank you.

Moblin's Lair: Rage Against The Machine - Bombtrack

I told him to change the trumpets! He didn't change them!

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Carpator Diei posted:

...Maybe it's just stubbornness, but I refuse to believe that what you're doing in that section is unironically meant to be portrayed as a good thing. After all, there's even Gorons who explicitly state how awful the whole slavery situation is. This is probably supposed to be some Spec Ops: The Line-esque stuff where you're doing something atrocious to easily achieve your goals, casting a deep shadow over the moral integrity of the hero and so on and so forth. Problem is it doesn't work at all because there's no reason why you shouldn't have any other options here aside from the most morally abhorrent one.

I have to believe that this is an extremely dumb and poorly-handled "who is the real monster" thing. I can't deal with the idea that someone actually decided to play Rage over Link union-busting for the slaver Gorons and having this be a good thing. I've thought about asking the hacker what the deal is but how do you even begin that conversation? "Hi, I was wondering if you endorse slavery or just didn't think this through at all?"

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Fire Temple: Metroid Prime 3 - Bryyo

Ah, you say it's both-sides-ism, but what if the Moblins are simply eating the rich? Bet you feel ashamed of your words and deeds :smuggo:

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

C-Euro posted:

In what % of Zelda games is the second major dungeon fire-themed or set in a mountain? I feel like it's higher than you'd expect.

Let's see...
Ocarina of Time: Dodongo's Cavern
Majora's Mask: Snowhead Temple
Wind Waker: Dragon Roost Cavern is the first dungeon, the first visit to Forsaken Fortress doesn't count :colbert:
Minish Cap: Cave of Flames
Twilight Princess: Goron Mines
Phantom Hourglass: Like Wind Waker, I don't count the first visit to Temple of the Ocean King as a dungeon, so Temple of Fire is disqualified
Skyward Sword: Earth Temple
Link Between Worlds and Breath of the Wild have no defined dungeon order and so are excluded.
5/14 gives us only 36%, honestly lower than I would have thought.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Epicmissingno posted:

Not entirely true.You have to do Eastern Palace first every time, then the wind dungeon I forget the name of and Tower of Hera in either order, then you get access to the sand dungeon, I think? And only then does everything else open up. The point is, neither Tower of Hera nor the wind dungeon is fire-themed, so ALBW doesn't count...but it was excluded anyway, so whatever.

Tower of Hera IS a mountain dungeon, though, but since it could be either 2nd or 3rd and unlike LttP there's no "official" order, I'm disqualifying it from the list. Zelda dungeon order lists are very serious business, after all :colbert:

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

God it was so funny hearing Artix talk about the lit bomb trick earlier knowing what was coming

What are we at now, 14 knuckles?

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

DoubleNegative posted:

Wasn't there another divergence in one of the last rooms in the Temple of Strength? Before the redead/floor master/quicksand hell pit?

Do you mean the path that lead to the 5 knuckle room in video 26?

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Maybe it's just me, but I don't get why there's so many hacks of OOT out and about, and like, 3 for A Link to the Past. You'd think it'd be the other way around

I looked into LttP hacks at one point and found out that Hyrule Magic is a horrifying nightmare editor where it's very easy to irreversibly corrupt your ROM, which would explain why so few people bother.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

OK yes but

Um

But like

You see

But um

I like LTTP's gameplay better and would like more hacks of it and people making valid points destroys my dream

In case you didn't know, LttP hacking has its own site separate from RomHacking.net with a few hacks not on RH, though still not that many really. Secrets of the Past and Gerudo Exile are both good from what I remember, though you might want to break out the rewinds for parts of Gerudo Exile.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Lozan Path: Super Metroid - Brinstar
Ice Cavern: Final Fantasy 9 - Crystal World

I really like Lozan, very atmospheric. Sort of a "cold Ikana" I guess.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Geemer posted:

I'm gonna be so disappointed when there's no ice traps in Lozan. This hack is sorely lacking in them.

The ice trap is a powerful symbol, you don't want to overuse it

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Lozan Castle: The Shining - Dies Irae

C-Euro posted:

I'm 99% sure that the music when you first got to the Lozan Castle area is the theme from The Shining, which is a pretty rad choice tbh.

E: Yep https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_nsZ8yt1KA

Congratulations! Aaaaand you edited in confirmation while I was posting :v:

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Death TempleDeath TempleDeath Temple: Super Mario Land 2 - Wario's Castle (as mentioned, twice)

It's been a while since I've had a Beta Test Anecdote to talk about, here's one: the first beta build I played, the cave with a wolfos and heart piece had neither, it was just a mysterious empty cave. Spent a while fruitlessly trying to figure out what secrets it hid. Thinking about it, this anecdote isn't all that interesting, is it? Oh well.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

It returns!

Beta facts: the barred door in the entrance room was accidentally placed backwards, so you could go through without hitting the switch, but you would then be locked in and have to songwarp out. I didn't even know that was possible. I wonder if there's any way of using this mechanic intentionally to create puzzles? Not sure what you could do with it that isn't weird and miserable but hey

For as rude as that thin platform room is (where the edges are sloped, you may not have noticed), there's one small mercy: since there's a kill-all-enemies chest, if you kill everything, the enemies will stay dead. That's sort of considerate?

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

I would post what the source for the Lozan Jail music is, but the video I was using for reference has been made private at some point. Guess Patrick got his revenge against the hacker...

I can say that during beta, its music was Bram Stoker's Dracula (SNES) - Ruined Stables (it sounded better in the OoT soundfont, imo). Another fun Beta Fact about the jail is that one of the rooms (the one with the blue bubbles) was flagged incorrectly and let time pass to night! You'd hear the wolf howl and the music would stop, but leaving the jail would set time back to day again.

I like that block puzzle at the end, I felt really clever when I figured it out :)

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

The murder reenactment puzzle feels like a Silent Hill puzzle or something, I love it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Wait a second, is the "prototype weapon" around 13:20 meant to be a bombchu missile truck?