Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Leperflesh posted:

Is the idea that each of Navigation, Trials, and Combat represent discrete instances of the What should I Do Next loop, or are they supposed to be separate?

Don't take this as speaking for Aldantefax, but one way you can view it is as an external cycle.
Navigation -> Trials -> Navigation (repeat)
or Navigation -> Trails -> Combat -> Navigation (repeat)

The what should I do next cycle can be applied within Navigation or Trials.
Or combat, sort of, although the procedure for combat is usually more specifically detailed.

In other words, the
Inform
Discuss
Determine Intention, Stakes
Roll (or GM decides that the result is obvious based on Intention, so no roll)
Determine Outcome
loop is the smallest gameplay loop and is iterated consistently over the course of a game.

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Dec 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Halloween Jack posted:

Related to this, I don't really understand the arms race of "trap monsters" like the ear seeker. Like, aren't torches and wandering monsters the limiting factor on carefully examining everything and prodding it with a 10' pole?

I actually viewed a video yesterday where Tim Kask, an old TSR employee, basically confirmed that they introduced monsters as specific GM counterplay to whatever was becoming first order optimal plays for the players. (Specifically, this is why the bulette eats horses!?) Which seems weird and counterproductive to me as well, when you've got time pressure built into the system.