Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

there's a system that uses a death trigger system, where normally youre not in any real danger but if you flag yourself with the death trigger you get additional power (i think in the original system its some extra die in your pool, its been years since i stole it) but in return you're opening your character up to something permanently bad happening to them like death of loved one, limb loss or personal death. lets the players set the stakes on encounters, ties the narrative to the crunch in a fun way. ive adapted the concept into lots of different rule sets (M&M 3E and numenera/cypher system mostly are what i play though) and the idea of typing that flag to an insert song seems really cool. everyone loves it when the hero does something badass in an anime and the OP starts playing!!!

im still sad about meikyuu kingdom btw :( wish i could play this though! your groups are lucky. i've approached this kind of maximalist design a few times as a GM, one as a full setting construction to be run system agnostic but considered with the vast flexibility of M&M 3E in mind and one as a sort of accompaniment to the outer space setting of Deadlands. It's very fun work, especially when a group gets to see more than just scratching the surface of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Judges are cool. I think everyone remembers the "aw drat, i cant use black magic on this encounter!!!!" bit of it but forgets that you would get bonus rewards from the encounters if you didn't get in any trouble. Having a judge reward individual players with something you consider minor to moderate, or the entire party with something you consider moderate to major for everyone collectively avoiding any penalties is good, because with your current yellow card system what this change ends up boiling down to is "can we afford to pay money (or risk turn loss or even ejection!) and give up on the potential for an unknown reward in order to manage this encounter in a way that is safer and more efficient for us?" and that is the sort of push and pull that is very rewarding to players, as the people interacting with the encounter, and with GMs as the ones (hopefully) having fun constructing the encounters.

a related aside, it also helps encourage GMs to curate and manually create some encounters rather than entirely relying on random generation for them. random generation is great if you have no specific ideas, but sometimes you DO have an idea or goal with an upcoming session or two so having that structure baked in can help guide a GM to making better, more interesting and more rewarding encounters that help serve whatever story they need to tell with such specific situations.

i think the black card is interesting in some sense, but i would probably not have it be a permanent fixture. yellow card on 1-4 and red on 5-6 for normal floors, black card structure as you described on perhaps perilous floors, or floors designed to test adventurers (maybe related to license upgrade trials?) and then judge absence like in the jagds for extremely hosed up situations.

Paper Lion fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Dec 16, 2020

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

ive been running ptolus for a dedicated group for the last year, and other than the banewarrens (which theyre only about 60% of the way through and are currently locked out of further progression in because someone else has the key and is waiting for the heat to die down) they havent actually done much dungeoneering at all. they took one attempt at it, got kind of owned but still won, went back to the surface and never really went back. which is funny because they got a lot of treasure from their one incursion into the dungeons, but theyre always like "we feel so poor" and when i reply "well you could delve. 2 of you are registered paying members of the delvers guild" they just fart around instead. in fairness, theyre pretty locked into many, many threads. ive been keeping every possible ticking clock in the setting running, along with a few i added myself. its funny to see them completely no sell the plot hook that would take them into the night of dissolution, but 1000% excited for the debut of a musical starring the grandchild of the citys mafia boss in 9 in game days from where they are now. how did you get your players to actively seek out things in your games? i feel like a lot of the time mine expect important stuff to just come to them, when the point of this setting is for them to be in this place where they can dictate terms. if they wanted to stop adventuring for a few years and open a pub, then sure. but they just sort of go "uhhhhhhhh" waiting for someone important to show up and tell them what to do. though in fairness, 3 of the 5 are pretty new to roleplaying.