Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

aldantefax posted:

I'm not sure who has played Dragon's Crown, but in that game, you find the bones of dead adventurers while you're out doing the needful and can either revive them to have them as AI buddies when you're back out in the field, or you can bury them for a low chance at getting some kind of reward.

Eye of the Beholder 1 and 2 (and maybe 3?) have this, and it definitely contributes to the sense that those dungeons are lethal yet people have gone into them before you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

aldantefax posted:

Here's a mockup of the gameplay loop from the above. I used all free open source icons from https://game-icons.net/ just for demonstration purposes. I set a Google Drawing dimensions to 8.5 x 11 inches for the page dimensions. I'm sure I could put this into a slightly more streamlined fashion.

That reminds me of the game structure diagram from Blades in the Dark.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

aldantefax posted:

More games need this kind of thing for real. That took maybe 15 to 30 minutes to lay out after having a think about it, and I think I'm probably going to do more things like this as well for new games I run even if it's for a well-established system (if it doesn't have one already that I can copy and paste and show to the players).

Yeah, absolutely. "Where are you, structurally" is a good thing to be able to visualize. Maybe even have a token to lay on the diagram to keep things focused.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
There's this rising trend of module vinyls, where the world and mechanics data is on the record sleeve, and the music is foundational to the setting. Seems to have started with Death Robot Jungle.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

aldantefax posted:

Do you have sources on other examples aside from this? First I've heard of it, but I know audio tie-ins for games happened pretty early on (I remember the AD&D 2e Glantri box set for Mystara had a CD that came with it).

There's this from the developers and publishers. DRJ is setting-agnostic. EF also recently funded Putrescence Regnant for MÖRK BORG on Kickstarter; another KS project that was funded is Ancient Undead Spider Wizard, using some kind of rules lite dungeon crawling system.

Full disclosure: I backed the latter two and ordered the first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

aldantefax posted:

Since I'm returning back to active duty on my job, I think it might be good to talk about building sustainable systems as well to continue development. There's a couple of good small books out there about preparation from the GM perspective in running a campaign that I recommend:

- Never Unprepared: The Complete Game Master's Guide to Session Prep
- Odyssey: The Complete Game Master's Guide to Campaign Management

These are just good in general for GMs similar to Robin's Laws of Good Gamemastering and Return of the Lazy Dungeonmaster, but through these books it comes down to "how much energy do you have to spend on your creative pursuits"; and, "taking advantage of when you have peaks of energy".

FYI, there's a sale on these two along with Focal Point: The Complete Game Master’s Guide to Running Extraordinary Sessions. When I followed that to DTRPG I found that there's an even bigger bundle with more of their stuff.

That's for digital versions - their website says something about them working on new physical fulfillment options, but I can't seem to find that yet.