Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I suppose the first megadungeon I played was The Final Fantasy Legend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
One of the earliest megadungeons in literature, by my reckoning, is Margaret St. Clair's Sign of the Labrys, which was listed in Appendix N. It's a post-apocalyptic novel where most of the population has been killed by fungal plagues. The survivors live in enormous underground bunkers that the US government made in anticipation of nuclear war.

The strangest thing about it is that it's a post-apocalypse without scarcity. The gummint also made huge stocks of preserved rations, disposable clothing, etc. so when people need something, they just walk into a warehouse and take it. The protagonist works in a warehouse pointlessly shifting boxes around, just to have something to do. (The only actually necessary work is bulldozing corpses into mass graves.) There's little violence--people avoid each other out of fear of the plague, and because humans have lost their instinct to be social animals.

Of course, there are lots of stories about impossibly huge subterranean monster lairs, from pulp fiction all the way back to mythology. But in this novel they actually talk about the environment having levels, and accessing new and undiscovered levels through hidden chutes and shafts. There are also some monsters created by mutations and experiments--mostly slime molds, which probably had some inspiration on D&D oozes. (The most interesting one feeds on CO2 in an endothermic reaction, and gives off some compound that causes hallucinations. So if you get close to it, you'll trip balls and stumble around until you freeze to death.)

Another influence from Appendix N that I could mention is Mount Voormithadreth from Clark Ashton Smith's Hyperborea stories. That one wasn't mentioned in Appendix N, though.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
It's a bit near the back of the AD&D Dungeon Master's Guide that lists some influences on D&D. It includes some authors you'd expect--Howard, Tolkien, Vance, Anderson--and some that are practically forgotten today. For example, Abraham Merritt received special mention on the shortlist of the most influential authors.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Dec 1, 2020

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Jon Joe posted:

I think these can make for really interesting encounter and level design, but they're really easy to do wrong. In 5e, the system for my megadungeon, traps are done -really- wrong. It's a tactical system wherein out of nowhere, in the middle of a player's turn, they can get screwed out of their strategy if they didn't spot a trap. This feels bad for the player and gives them no room to react.
It seems to me that Official D&D never properly identified what makes a "trap" a unique feature of the design and what it's supposed to do. Is it a part of an encounter? An encounter itself? A way to bake some danger into the Exploration phase? (And if traps are part of combat encounters, we have to figure out what makes them fundamentally different from monsters. Several monsters are living traps.)

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

aldantefax posted:

I think in D&D's panoply of editions traps were one of two things:

- major encounters in and of themselves that weren't combats (large room scale traps and puzzles)
- speed bumps in a combat encounter as some additional spice
There's a Flash game called Dungeon Robber (you've probably heard of it) that lets you play solo D&D using the tables in OD&D. One thing I noticed is that traps were kind of orthogonal to the rest of the gameplay loop.

If you're playing a fighter and you get a few levels and some good armor, tooling around the 1st or 2nd dungeon level starts to become a predictable grind more like a CRPG--you can survive several combat encounters and then start looking for the exit. Except for traps. Traps bypass the to-hit mechanic and just gently caress you up with a lot of damage.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

aldantefax posted:

I think though that when it comes down to "traps", they really are more "tricks" because the default assumption is that players will find a way to mitigate or circumvent it in order to make forward progress. It is rare that you see in adventure design a trap that not only prevents forward progress but also eliminates some or all of the players unless it's trying to make a point like the death beam at the start of Tomb of Horrors (and that had a very specific meeting by Gygax).
Related to this, I don't really understand the arms race of "trap monsters" like the ear seeker. Like, aren't torches and wandering monsters the limiting factor on carefully examining everything and prodding it with a 10' pole?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
If the PCs are actively seeking out things that aren't murderhoboing, it's a blessing.

It sounds like you need to put something they've just gotta have down in the dungeon.