Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020

ThinkTank posted:

As always I am absolutely spot on every single time.

Hey, we all make good calls and bad ones. And this one isn't over. Ovechkin could blow his knee out during the first period of the next game and it all comes to an end (not that I'm wishing for anything of the like). He's been healthy throughout his career, but there's no telling what lies in store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Twin Cinema posted:

It will also be interesting to see where people consider them in an all-time sense. Crosby has a really good shot at being considered the best player after the top-4 of Gretzky, Orr, Howe, and Lemieux. Ovechkin is a little harder to place. He'll probably be in the top-20, but I am unsure how much higher he can get.

I posted this two years ago, and Crosby is now 17th, and Ovechkin is 4 points behind at 18th. It'll be interesting to see where they end up on the all-time list. If they keep producing at the rate they are now, they will be 15th and 16th at the end of this season. From there, another good season could put them 10th and 11th. It all depends on how long they keep playing, and how much they keep producing. I am not sure where they will end up.

Also, I believe Crosby is close to becoming the 10th person in history to hit 500 goals and 1000 assists. This will probably happen next season.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Twin Cinema posted:

I posted this two years ago, and Crosby is now 17th, and Ovechkin is 4 points behind at 18th. It'll be interesting to see where they end up on the all-time list. If they keep producing at the rate they are now, they will be 15th and 16th at the end of this season. From there, another good season could put them 10th and 11th. It all depends on how long they keep playing, and how much they keep producing. I am not sure where they will end up.

Also, I believe Crosby is close to becoming the 10th person in history to hit 500 goals and 1000 assists. This will probably happen next season.

Crosby would have had a shot at 2000 points if he stayed healthy.

I think McDavid might actually get there.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
It's hard to say. I think for non-goalies, if McDavid wins a couple of cups, the tiers will be for me, more or less off the top of my head:

Wayne
Bobby
Mario
Connor

Howe
Sid
Beliveau
Rocket
Jagr
Esposito
Lidstrom
Lafleur
Messier
Bossy

Ovechkin
Lindros
Sakic
Bourque

his qualifications are kinda strange compared to the top guys. As I posted in the other thread, he was never really scary to go up against in the playoffs like the rest of the guys in the first two tiers. He's definitely incredibly valuable in getting to the playoffs due to his consistency and durability, but if I'm choosing players, yeah, there's a ton of guys that I pick over him. And even in his era, I'd much rather play against him than prime Datsyuk or Kane or Toews or Karlsson or Sid or Malkin, etc.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
The other great "what-if" for me with respect to the goal scoring record is what Mike Bossy/Mario Lemieux would have done if he hadn't retired at 30/been injured. He's at 573g in 752 games, for an insane .762G/GP. Mario's at .754 and Ovechkin's at .613. Interestingly, Auston's at .626. Bure's at .623.

Bossy in particular's later years would have come still in the peak of the live-puck era until the first lockout, when he would have been 38/39.

If Bossy went:

30: 50
31: 50
32: 45
33: 40
34: 35
35: 30
36: 30
37: 30
38: 25

and retired, he would have been at 908g, which would have been conceivable, even if guys took worst care of themselves back then.

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

The other great "what-if" for me with respect to the goal scoring record is what Mike Bossy/Mario Lemieux would have done if he hadn't retired at 30/been injured. He's at 573g in 752 games, for an insane .762G/GP. Mario's at .754 and Ovechkin's at .613. Interestingly, Auston's at .626. Bure's at .623.

Bossy in particular's later years would have come still in the peak of the live-puck era until the first lockout, when he would have been 38/39.

If Bossy went:

and retired, he would have been at 908g, which would have been conceivable, even if guys took worst care of themselves back then.

^^ Fascinating. Never saw it laid out that way before.

Sucks that Bossy's chronic back problems shortened his career and it also sucks that we lost him at age 65 earlier this year.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

If Bossy went:

Mario wouldn't have broken Gretzky's point record but his numbers would have been pretty insane with a full career and no health problems. I think injuries almost assuredly robbed both Crosby and Mario of 2000+ career point totals. My guess is without injuries Mario would have been up around 2500 points and Crosby would be currently around 1700 or so and with a good shot to finish at 2000,

McDavid I think assuming no hard drop off/injuries is all but guaranteed to hit 2000 points. He's the greatest offensive talent since Lemieux and he's going to average 100+ points a year probably until he's 35-36 or so.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Crosby will play until he gets 1723 career points and then immediately retire. That is his way

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
This Ovi guy seems to be going places

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020
Ovi is #1 all-time!

In career shots on goal, that is. He overtook Ray Bourque yesterday.

https://www.washingtonhockeynow.com/2022/12/22/washington-capitals-alex-ovechkin-another-all-time-record-shots

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020
And now the "Great Eight" is tied for #2 all-time in goals scored, equaling Gordie Howe's 801.

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/35312022/capitals-alex-ovechkin-passes-gordie-howe-2nd-all-goals

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

He's #2 plain now

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

He'll never do it

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020

Good soup! posted:

He'll never do it

You know something that the rest of us don't know?

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

After a 42-goal season, Ovechkin is now at 822 career goals. He tied for the most goals by a player in his age-37 season. Only he, Shanahan (42), and Bucyk (40), have scored over 40.

The age-38 seasons and beyond become trickier to predict. Bucyk and Howe are the only two guys were still able to put up multiple 30-goal seasons. Howe is the only player with an over 40-goal season at age-40.

Ovechkin has already shown that he defies any sort of projection, and he just continually scores and scores and scores, so it'll be interesting to see if a regression ever comes. Barring injury, I think he passes Gretzky in the 25-26 season.

Twin Cinema posted:

Crosby and Ovechkin hit 15th and 16th. With 81 points, Crosby can become 10th overall all-time. If he does this, he probably hits 1000 assists.

I think at their age, it'll be almost impossible for either player to hit 2000 points. Although, if they play into their 40s, like Jagr, I guess anything is possible.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I think it's inevitable he passes Gretzky now. Even if his game heavily declines one of these years he's probably still gonna be good for 20-30 goals a year for a little while yet. Like he could be skating like Jason Allison and still sock in 20-30 a year just by virtue of his shot/pp time alone. He'll play as long as it takes to do it.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Yeah, I realize I didn't word my last post correctly. Obviously, he will regress. I just meant, if he regresses even worse than expected. Barring injury, I can see him putting another two 30+ goal seasons, which would put him incredibly close to passing Gretzky. But, even if becomes a 20-25 goal guy, I can see him hanging on to pass Gretzky's record. Hopefully we don't get a Pete Rose situation where it becomes sad.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
Pete Rose didn’t have access to the same kind of primo gear that Ovie does. he definitely breaks it, possible in the next two years. he’ll continue to roid out of his mind to get it. it’s too important of a sportswash for Vladimir

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
Would Ovechkin be more accomplished having won another Cup or having this record?

I think No Cup but having the record would have been disappointing.

But now that he already has a Cup, having the record in place of another Cup is better. A lot of guys win Stanley Cups. Only one can claim most goals all time.

On another note, I wish the Capitals were better so he could load up on ENG. Remember, he missed out on about 75 goals from lockout/Covid-cancelled games. He's earned a few gimmes.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
It seems he'll break Wayne's NHL record but I don't think he'll get the professional record. 900 sound about right

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Mr. Kite posted:

Would Ovechkin be more accomplished having won another Cup or having this record?

But now that he already has a Cup, having the record in place of another Cup is better. A lot of guys win Stanley Cups. Only one can claim most goals all time.

On another note, I wish the Capitals were better so he could load up on ENG. Remember, he missed out on about 75 goals from lockout/Covid-cancelled games. He's earned a few gimmes.

I think I agree with that

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Mr. Kite posted:

i think definitely having another Cup. he’s arguably the greatest goal scorer of all time, but at the end of the day a ton of people would pick Bossy/Lemieux as better goal scorers since they dominated so much more in the postseason. he’s definitely got the best longevity of anyone so far.

having the record now doesn’t do a ton for his legacy now. he’s got kind of a weird one. definitely in the pantheon of great players but never The Guy at any point in his career. very healthy, very good at the most important thing in hockey, but not in the same tier as Wayne/Mario/Orr or Howe/Sid/Messier/Lidstrom/Bossy.

if Connor wins one, he’ll be behind Connor, too. but if he had 2 Cups you could make the case a lot stronger that he’s up there in that second group.

legacy wise he’s most similar to Jagr, except Jagr was never the best player on a Cup team, but Jagr was more dominant at his peak, definitely the best player in the league for a few years. also insane longevity.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jun 18, 2023

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

If he does pass Gretzky, they should unretire 99 league wide. Because league wide retirements are dumb, except maybe for Jackie Robinson.

Emetic Hustler
May 5, 2009

Sash! posted:

If he does pass Gretzky, they should unretire 99 league wide. Because league wide retirements are dumb, except maybe for Jackie Robinson.

Why? No one is going to touch Grezky's totals.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

https://thehockeynews.com/nhl/washington-capitals/takes/washington-capitals-alex-ovechkin-responds-scoring-woes

quote:

Ovechkin, who is in the throes of his pursuit of Wayne Gretzky's all-time scoring record, has struck only twice this season, with neither of those goals (a power-play tap-in and long-range empty-netter) coming at even strength. He was also held without a shot in back-to-back games for the first time in his career, and his shooting percentage is just 4.7 percent this season as several attempts have been blocked or shanked wide.

Has he finally hit the wall?

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
no one will ever touch Teemu's record, has anyone come close? like I guess you can include the ECHL :lol:

but gently caress him for that one year on the evil ducks team; but god bless him for that hilarious Colorado Combo he did with Kariya

speaking of Kariya; no one is gonna break his record of getting his soul removed via Scott Stevens, then coming back in and scoring an OT with the hottest of brains at the time probably

or Pronger dying on the ice then playing the next game cause its the playoffs!!! lol, pronger physics , pronger health.

Kale
May 14, 2010

I'm starting to think perhaps not.

take me you ANIMAL
Nov 28, 2002

Congrats big boy

The entire team is hot garbage right now. At least they put Backstrom on LTIR until he decides to retire so they can hopefully bring someone in with that 9ish million.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Twin Cinema posted:

Yeah, I realize I didn't word my last post correctly. Obviously, he will regress. I just meant, if he regresses even worse than expected. Barring injury, I can see him putting another two 30+ goal seasons, which would put him incredibly close to passing Gretzky. But, even if becomes a 20-25 goal guy, I can see him hanging on to pass Gretzky's record. Hopefully we don't get a Pete Rose situation where it becomes sad.

Last summer, my thought of Ovie regressing was him only putting up another two 30-goal seasons. Not completely bottoming out.

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
This season could be his first time with less than 20 goals. And the only time he had less than 30 was COVID shortened season

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

He's got up to 30 now, which is a big loving turnaround.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Twin Cinema posted:

Last summer, my thought of Ovie regressing was him only putting up another two 30-goal seasons. Not completely bottoming out.

Duck Rodgers posted:

This season could be his first time with less than 20 goals. And the only time he had less than 30 was COVID shortened season

Lol

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
Yeah he really turned things around in the last 2 months

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

So, now with this season in the books for the Caps and Pens, we can look at how Crosby and Ovie are currently situated.

Ovie
Goals: 853 (2nd -- 41 behind Gretzky)

Crosby
Goals: 592 (21st -- 9 behind Kurri)
Assists: 1002 (14th -- 14 behind Sakic)

Even if Crosby has a similar season, it'll mean he only moves up to 9th in points, because Sakic is the only one in the 1600 range. But he could leap into the top-10 for assists.

It'll be interesting to see how their careers end up. Both being as productive as they are at their respective ages is helping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

For some reason, I love imagining Gretzky saying "Ovechkin!" with the same voice, expression, and gesture that Seinfield says "Newman!"