Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
In the seasons that haven't been eliminated/shortened by lockout/Covid, Ovechkin has averaged 48 goals. If those seasons would have happened as intended (04/05, 12/13, 19/20, 20/21), Ovechkin would have gone into this season with 816 goals. If we assume he would have scored less in his rookie year, lets round down to 800. Add the 36 for this season, that's 836.

He should have been well on his way to passing Wayne and on to 1000 goals. I figure all those ENs make up for all the games he missed through no fault of his own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
Would Ovechkin be more accomplished having won another Cup or having this record?

I think No Cup but having the record would have been disappointing.

But now that he already has a Cup, having the record in place of another Cup is better. A lot of guys win Stanley Cups. Only one can claim most goals all time.

On another note, I wish the Capitals were better so he could load up on ENG. Remember, he missed out on about 75 goals from lockout/Covid-cancelled games. He's earned a few gimmes.