Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Dark Souls 4 but the game case is a mimic that you have to defeat and when you do it just drops a digital store redemption code

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Dark Souls 4; the game case is normal, but the manual seems a little thick, and you notice it's drooling...

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
25 - Smouldering Lake Part 3

Two bosses in one video! It's the Old Demon King and Highlord Wolnir

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
Regarding Quelana: I'm pretty sure you were thinking about the Fair Lady there; Quelana is a different character, the one you meet at the base of Blighttown if you have a +10 Pyromancy Flame. She asks you to kill her sisters who were turned into spider creatures, but it's not quite clear if those sisters are really all that unhappy with their situation.

Also, it's a bit ambiguous whether demons in Dark Souls were all transformed into that shape; it applies for some in DS1 (such as the Fair Lady), but others seem to have been created by the Chaos Flame, and the transformed ones are never actually referred to as demons. The demons are also very much a sapient species with their own society and culture, and it's possible that they were only called 'demons' by their enemies, who waged war against them and managed to mostly eradicate that society.
Of course, all of that only applies to the demons in DS1 and 3; in DS2 the term seems to be used completely differently, in such an obvious way that it's probably intentional.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Carpator Diei posted:

Regarding Quelana: I'm pretty sure you were thinking about the Fair Lady there; Quelana is a different character, the one you meet at the base of Blighttown if you have a +10 Pyromancy Flame. She asks you to kill her sisters who were turned into spider creatures, but it's not quite clear if those sisters are really all that unhappy with their situation.

:negative: I had completely forgotten that Quelana was a character. Shows how long it's been since I played the first game.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

And he was perfectly comfortable giving me bad information, knowing that I'd never know the difference.

That's dirty pool, mister.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Wow that's a cool big skeleton.

I've been watching and enjoying this LP. It's nice to watch someone play a Souls game I haven't, and the gimmick of "with a loving gun" makes it a delight.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Wow that's a cool big skeleton.

I've been watching and enjoying this LP. It's nice to watch someone play a Souls game I haven't, and the gimmick of "with a loving gun" makes it a delight.

It's worth either playing yourself or watching someone else play a more melee-focused build (who is good at the game) because you can either have those moments of "hell yeah, THAT'S how you gently caress this poo poo up" or "holy crap, I didn't know you could do something like that when there's a thousand fire sprays and bonewheels around at all times"

DSIII is really good at spectacle, in ways that definitely seem polished up from the previous games. I think it's the weakest in having everything get tied together in a neat bow, but the grandiose present wrapped in shiny paper is something I really enjoyed. DS1 felt like a puzzle box that was tightly wound together, DSII felt like a dreamy reimagining of the parts that DS1 had packed together, and DSIII is like those individual parts inspected and illustrated in wonderful ways. I won't say anything more because it is spoilers, but I felt all of the late game bosses are a true culmination in building up a final boss that DS1 subverted with Gwyn, but DSIII just says "and here's the climax. Have fun! (You Will Die)"

e: Not saying Double Negative won't show it off or isn't showing it off well, but there's a big difference between the fireworks of full auto melting something and a melee build bringing all the skill and game-knowledge together to feel like a melee action movie nail-biter while the background and skybox just light the whole thing up in an epic setting. Definitely a post-LP thing to put on a to-watch list.

bawk fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jun 9, 2021

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

No I totally get it, and you are absolutely right. Once this LP is done, anyone who's seeing DS3 for the first time really owes it to themself to either play it or go watch it done in melee.

IGgy IGsen did a fantastic job with his LP, and he covered the base game and all the DLC.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
A closer look at Wolnir's model:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbSRmYYMtKc

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Big skeleton man has a lot of smaller skeletons!

Also, it's nearly two days late, but...

26 - Irithyll Part 1

We take on Irithyll of the Boreal Valley while wearing a pretty, pretty dress

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

I would have never known that the giant skeleton was covered in smaller skeletons, had you not posted that. How are you supposed to see that, beyond getting a view like in the video?

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010

Leave posted:

I would have never known that the giant skeleton was covered in smaller skeletons, had you not posted that. How are you supposed to see that, beyond getting a view like in the video?

Generally in dark souls you just assume that every skeleton has more skeletons inside of it.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

DoubleNegative posted:

26 - Irithyll Part 1

We take on Irithyll of the Boreal Valley while wearing a pretty, pretty dress
That reconstruction of DS3's early area concepts I linked to a while ago mentions an interesting theory about Irithyll: It was initially designed as a certain area from DS1, now in the middle of a desert and halfway sunken into the sands; and some aspects of that early design are still visible in the final area.
Did you notice that the snowpiles in the corners look kind of weird and un-snow-like? It's recoloured sand.

Leave posted:

In the elder days of Art,
Builders wrought with greatest care
Each minute and unseen part;
For the Gods see everywhere.

Iceblocks
Jan 5, 2013
Taco Defender
Point of order, Sirris' grandfather is the next part of her questline. The guy you fought on the bridge was a cameo from Dark Souls 2.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Iceblocks posted:

Point of order, Sirris' grandfather is the next part of her questline. The guy you fought on the bridge was a cameo from Dark Souls 2.

:negative: This is why I shouldn't try to talk authoritatively on things I saw once in a video several months ago. Speaking of which...

27 - Irithyll Part 2

Let's beat up Creighton again because he's a dingus who deserves it.

Carpator Diei posted:

That reconstruction of DS3's early area concepts I linked to a while ago mentions an interesting theory about Irithyll: It was initially designed as a certain area from DS1, now in the middle of a desert and halfway sunken into the sands; and some aspects of that early design are still visible in the final area.
Did you notice that the snowpiles in the corners look kind of weird and un-snow-like? It's recoloured sand.

This explains why the most prominent art of DS3 (like I've been putting after every video) shows Knight Man standing in a desert!

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jun 15, 2021

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
Concept art of Creighton (found here):

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E3vEFxHVUAAGg1H?format=png&name=900x900

Yeah, I'd say "sus" is the appropriate description.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Creighton trying so hard to be the Patches of DS2 was a weird decision, but it made him memorable.

Or was that the guy who gives you the white soapstone?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

DoubleNegative posted:

Creighton trying so hard to be the Patches of DS2 was a weird decision, but it made him memorable.

Or was that the guy who gives you the white soapstone?

both of them are trying to fill in for patches. Pates sort of a soft touch, and creightons just murderous.
Theyre still both assholes who are lying through their teeth to you.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jun 15, 2021

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

28 - Irithyll Part 3

This has been encoding since 7PM. It's now almost midnight. :negative:

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

29 - Irithyll Dungeon Part 1

Loud noises warning sporadically throughout the video. Some of the corpses have a very unfortunate habit of screaming when you loot them

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010
Had completely forgot how much of a boring slog the dungeon was. Most of it isn't even particularly dangerous (except for a specific dick move up ahead), since the jailers can often be fought 1-1, it just takes forever and is incredibly dull looking (although the later can be said of most of DS3 tbh, the locations themselves are pretty cool but the colours are just so drat muted most of the time).

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Ah yes, the worst part of DS3 IMO. It's all uphill after this.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
I'm pretty sure all the invasions in the dungeon were added by Cinders; for instance, Annalise and Eileen are Bloodborne references.
The Jailers don't even need to touch you with their branding irons to shrink your health bar; it happens when their lantern glows, even if you aren't close to them. If the branding iron hits you, you get a status effect that raises your equip load and prevents you from using the Estus Flask.

By the way, another DS3 boss video from Zullie, this time with a closer look at a certain ballsy tree:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Rd3K8jHYQQ

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Cinders has been a bit odd in its additions. It'll leave large areas of the game pretty much unchanged but then cram a whole bunch of changes into one area.

I don't mind the irithyll dungeon though tbh. It's boring to look at but it's laid out in a straightforward way and open enough that you don't get lost.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

30 - Irithyll Dungeon Part 2 (The Rat Video)

Turns out the hardest part about actually editing audio is just sitting down to do it.

Also this video is aptly subtitled. Rats everywhere. So many rats.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I would like to thank you for calling Smough "Smoff" because it always bothered me that we have three giants in the first game, two named Smough and Gough, and everyone called them "Ornstein and Smoh" when Gough introduces himself and pronounces it as "Goff" in the DLC

I felt like I was taking crazy pills when people would look at me funny for pronouncing the giants' names the same.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
Turning the lowest floor of the dungeon into a rathole is a weird choice, though I suppose the pseudo-stealth segment with the horde of Jailers in the original was not the most overwhelmingly fun experience. Especially when that one screaming corpse with the Dusk Crown Ring alerts all of them at once.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

thecluckmeme posted:

I would like to thank you for calling Smough "Smoff" because it always bothered me that we have three giants in the first game, two named Smough and Gough, and everyone called them "Ornstein and Smoh" when Gough introduces himself and pronounces it as "Goff" in the DLC

I felt like I was taking crazy pills when people would look at me funny for pronouncing the giants' names the same.

Only through tough and thorough thought can you pronounce Smough and Gough consistently.

/ough/ is like the least consistently pronounced morpheme in English so say them however you want, but his name in Japanese is スモウ which is pronounced "Sumo" (with a long o)

voiceless anal fricative fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Jul 2, 2021

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
you wait until someone else says it and then say it differently.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

31 - Profaned Capital

I'm not sure I appreciate the gargoyles from up on top of the Grand Archives showing up here randomly.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
The gargoyles are down there in the main game; the ones in the Grand Archives actually look a bit different (in that they have heads).

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

32 - Upper Irithyll (feat. LevelZeroBadger)

Leave couldn't be with me for this and the next two, so I brought in someone from the LP Discord. Also this is featuring That Part of Irithyll. It's as deliciously dickish as you might expect from Cinders.

Also the video isn't done processing yet. But I have to step out. So here it is "early."

Carpator Diei posted:

The gargoyles are down there in the main game; the ones in the Grand Archives actually look a bit different (in that they have heads).

I legit thought they were only on Grand Archives. The more you know!

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
But what does our spouse look like underneath that veil?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KVOFEZpfBQ

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

:cawg: Okay that got me good.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

33 - Anor Londo (feat. LevelZeroBadger)

The time has come for Aldrich, the Devourer of Gods to die. Fitting it would happen where the illusions of Ornstein and Smough were defeated so long ago.

LevelZeroBadger
Mar 27, 2020
LevelZeroBadger?
I know that name, it's me!

Thank you DoubleNegative, for letting me pop in on your commentary.
I hope the rest of you are as nearly amused with my input as DoNe was.

There were a few points where I was gonna spoil what was coming up (I had a good guess on top of my flashbacks), that I managed to keep under control.
But that section of the game was hell for my first playthrough.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

34 - Consumed King's Garden (feat. LevelZeroBadger)

Leave will be back for Thursday's update, but for now... enjoy some purestrain Cinders dickery!

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
That curse swamp seems a bit pointless. With only a few slugs left in the area, why would you ever stay on the white parts long enough to actually get cursed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

It was definitely a "because they could" change instead of a meaningful one. It's the sort of trap that only ever catches you out once.