Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
So since the book got made into a movie by Warner Pictures™, does the sequel concentrate on referencing IP owned by WarnerMedia™'s fine subsidiary brands, like Batman™, Bugs Bunny™, and The CW's Supernatural™?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Happy Landfill posted:

Whatever happened to Occlus after they got bought by facebook

lets just say they pre-ordered Oculus on the hype when they should have waited for reviews

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

runnypoops posted:

Do you think pac man would stop sucking u off after you came or would he just keepin on suckin?

do NOT allow pacman to suck your dick, as soon as he notices your balls he's gonna eat them

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Simone Magus posted:

I refuse to believe that Ernest Cline is cool enough to even know that Prince had a song called "Gett Off"

Prince is the enemy boss though. Cline is obviously working out his repressed hate that he totally didn't get Prince back in the 1980s. In the first book Rush was a big plot point, because that was Cline's jam. As you'd expect from the whitest guy to ever whrite.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

OMFG FURRY posted:

theres a difference between referencing an intellectual property ("he saw the latest transformers movie") and using its characters and writing them as your own ("optimus prime looked soulfully into megatrons eyes as he withdrew his dipstick")

Actually, here's a question: a whole lot of movies and books have a little disclaimer

quote:

This is a work of fiction. Any resemblance to actual events or locales or persons, living or dead, is entirely coincidental.

Is the bar for using a real person's name or likeness without their permission a lot higher? If that was the case, could Cline have hosed up by including Prince?

Prince was pretty litigious about copyright when he was alive, I dunno how much his estate is carrying that on now that he's kicked it. Also I guess Cline could have gotten permission from the estate.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Leroy Dennui posted:

I'm trying to find out who that scientist who hosed a lot during the early-to-mid 20th century was, but Google and Wikipedia are not helping me. I first read about him on these very forums, dammit

Richard Feynman? Who had a short essay in his book that is basically the proto-ancestor of modern PUA? (Though a little bit less revolting than PUA theory, since his only tactic is to go to bars and ask girls if wanna gently caress.)

Also Einstein was both married and had a whole bunch of affairs, he was not sitting alone whacking off.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Leroy Dennui posted:

Pretty sure it was Feynman who I was thinking of; it's a shame that he was pretty gross.

Eh *tilts hand back and forth* there's way worse examples.

The guy was about average misogynistic for the 60s and 70s. He was predatory to women sexually, but good to them as co-workers and fellow scientists. I feel like the most lasting damage was writing that story the way he did and presenting it as an example other nerds would follow.

The thing really is delivered like "I have learned a fact, and it is that some women will gently caress you if you treat them like poo poo!"

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Also as dumb as the Ready Player One masturbation screed is, it's also just a short rehash of the much longer (and equally embarrassing) essays on the subject in Cryptonomicon.

Because Ernest Cline has never had an original thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

god drat that's an evisceration