Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Giggle Goose
Oct 18, 2009

A Fancy Hat posted:

Let's all be honest with ourselves, Ready Player One was the greatest book ever written AND the greatest film ever filmed. Ernest Cline (and to a much lesser extent, Steven Spielberg) created the most vibrant and original world ever made, one filled with deep characters. The book was overflowing with heart, humor, and a whole lot of amazing writing. So it's not shock that a sequel was going to come out. Is it as good as the original? Well, I'll let you be the judge. Please use this thread to share your thoughts on Ready Player Two and to share your favorite passages. Here's mine:

Wade pulled up in his custom Batmobile. It looked like the Batmobile from the 1989 film, but with a few extras. Wade had outfitted it with a flux capacitor for time travel, for starters. The steering wheel glistened with buttons, like the car from Speed Racer, the Mach 1.

"Wow, Wade, that's a really great car! How'd you get it?" Michael J Fox stood in front of the car, eyeing it up.

"Well, Mr. Fox, it's easy when you're the new CEO of whatever company created this virtual world. You get some perks." With that, Wade honked the horn. It made the noise of the siren from Ecto-1, the car in Ghostbusters, Ghostbusters 2, and The Real Ghostbusters cartoon.

"Cool!" said Michael J Fox. "I love that franchise!"

Suddenly, there was a huge explosion from the top of a building. Not just any building, it was Nakatomi Plaza. Not the real one, the digital copy. But Wade used his extensive knowledge of pop culture to recognize it. This was from the movie Die Hard, which meant only one thing - terrorists.

"Time to make the call. Mr. Fox, I'm sorry but I have to assemble my elite anti-terrorism squad."

Michael J Fox shook Wade's hand and logged out. Within moments, Wade's squad arrived. The first to arrive was, of course, Buzz Lightyear. Close by was Bishop from the movie Aliens. And then, perhaps the most powerful member of all, David the Gnome. David had a solemn look on his face. He was a haunted gnome, tired of all the killing but fully aware that he was saving countless lives by doing it. The final member showed up, fashionably late as always. Wade yelled at her.

"Hey, Strawberry Shortcake, this is an anti-terrorism mission! Not a picnic!"

I've never read the other book or seen the film and I know very little about either other than that I should probably avoid them. You wrote this yourself though, no way on god's green earth this is actual prose from a novel that sentient beings voluntarily spend money on and then admit to reading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giggle Goose
Oct 18, 2009
I wonder how Cline sees himself. Does he know that his writing is awful and that his success is a literary black swan event? Does he see himself as some kind of auteur?

Giggle Goose
Oct 18, 2009
I do not understand this endless nostalgia worship in modern-American culture. The present is no picnic sure, but there is drat good new art out there in every medium that is and ever has been just about. Not just traditional films and TV shows, music, and writing, but also all the weird new subcultures created by the ubiquity of the internet. And that's just the poo poo coming out of the US! One of my friends has asked me to watch the movie with him about 5 times now and I just can't even understand the base appeal of the film (let alone the novel cause these loving passages y'all are posting are bat poo poo to the point I can't hardly tell which are the fakes and which are genuine excerpts). I'd say I'm too old to understand, but it sure seems like there are an awful lot of 30-40ish guys that are super into it. Are the younger crowd into this poo poo too?

Giggle Goose
Oct 18, 2009

A Fancy Hat posted:

"Wait, so this is what it's like... to be Superman?"

"That's right," said Superman. "This is what it's like to be me. You seem to be handling it extremely well, Wade. Better than I did when I first developed my powers."

"Well, you don't play as many games as I have without learning a LITTLE something about superpowers!"

Wade delicately used his heat vision to finish toasting his grilled cheese sandwich. It smelled amazing and he couldn't wait to take a bite.

Suddenly, the wall exploded behind them and out burst Shadow the Hedgehog. But something was wrong - he had a metal helmet on his head that completely covered his face. He pointed his trademark gun at Wade and Superman.

"Oh no!" said Wade. "Looks like whoever's mind controlling everyone got to Shadow, too!"

"Well old chum, let's see if you're faster than a speeding bullet!"

Wade was, he instantly disarmed Shadow and removed the mind control helmet. Shadow then quickly explained that the mind control device had been placed on his head by Magneto, from the X-Men entertainment franchise. Magneto was working with a mysterious other made scientist, too.

"It's gotta be Lex Luthor!" said Superman.

"No. I'm using your powers now Superman, and I can see the energy aura around every single living thing. Have you ever done this?"

"No, to be honest you're using my powers far better than I ever did. Wade, you truly are a Superman for the modern era. By the way, have you ever heard of the author Ernest Cline? I believe I would like to meet him one day, he seems like a great mind, a Superman in his own right."

This one is too on the nose cause of the Ernest Cline insert but honestly ever since Stephen King stuck himself in his own novels in one of the greats acts of hubris of all time, anything seems possible.