Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Slotducks posted:

Y'all haven't even posted the piss poor attempt at being inclusive to non-binary people

https://twitter.com/CommisarE/status/1331364890930384897

Wait. I've actually read Ready Player One. This isn't in there I'm pretty sure, because the character in that is obsessed with the possiiblity that his love interest might be a dude (and grossed out by it). Did a sequel actually come out?

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Slotducks posted:

Did you think this thread was a creative writing exercise?

I dunno really, I mostly just thought the title was a joke and we were going to post terrible quotes from the first book and that other one he did (which I've thankfully not read). I think this sequel is probably going to fall into the same category as that other book in not being nearly as fun to make fun of.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Well, from listening to the first 372 pages episode on the new book, I've now learned that in Ernest Cline's future world it's apparently now pretty popular to make your children live through a simulation of their mothers giving birth to them when they get old enough. What?

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

ErrEff posted:

Harry Knowles championed it and used his platform to make the deals happen after Cline's film Fanboys got made. Him and Cline are longtime friends since the early days of Knowles' Butt-Numb-A-Thon film festival.

IIRC one thing that's conspiciously missing from the book entirely is references to Nintendo properties of any kind.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Elderbean posted:

I'm glad we're still making GBS threads on this book years later. It's genuinely bad in so many ways. I'm too high to effort post about it but the worst parts have to be a tie between the rant about masturbation or the Japanese players telling Wade that he is an honarable samurai.

It's closer to a screed than a rant I'd say. But yeah it's embarassing as all gently caress and I hate it especially for how it repeats that fallacy that seems pretty common that if you're a geek you're good at science and vice versa and that obviously being scientists, Einstein and Marie Curie had to have been geeks who couldn't get laid and therefore depended upon masturbation. I loving hate it.

Anyway I bet alot of the owners of the properties and prodcuts mentioned in the book were okay with it, because by way of the book's popularity and success I bet it served as a pretty good advertisement for a lot of this poo poo. And there does seem to be a subset of "geek culture" where people strive to outwardly signal how much they are into the things they should be into as part of that dumb culture, and I bet this book did a lot of heavy lifting in, maybe not defining, but codifying what those things cold and should be.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Elderbean posted:

Hydrogen has one proton, right? Shouldn't you be knocking protons off multiple atoms?

People who loving love science don't know poo poo about science.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

The words basically mean the same thing now and both are basically worthless as far as actually providing a useful description of a group of people.

e: Also I'm pretty sure Ernest Cline is married. Gross people get laid all the time (as in it's not uncommon).

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Dec 1, 2020