Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

A few years ago I did a Let's Read thread of the original. If you want to see basically the entire first book with goons making fun of it, it's in there.

I already beat the game of reading the sequel. I promise it is worse than these excerpts suggest and includes some incredibly disturbing poo poo like the virtual ghost of John Hughes and his family hugging the protagonists on a planet where every John Hughes movie plays simultaneously every day and the ending being AI clone transhumanist bullshit. Cline put a few quick patches over the modern criticism of the original book (like the transphobia, homophobia, and racism) and doubled down on the reference overdosing and extremely weird sex and relationship stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

smoobles posted:

I saw a funny twitter thread with highlights of RP2, but the piss baby publishers didn't like it and did takedowns of all the images of book passages. I didn't know book publishers could even do that.

The ones they were taking down is in that legal gray area of "How much transcription is too much?" Fortunately, my threads fall under the radar. It's definitely had a Streisand Effect though (a reference to famous singer Barba Streisand, who won an award for A Star is Born, and gained accidental internet fame after her attempts to take down pictures of her house for a beach erosion survey led to the pictures being widely published instead. Fortunately, all OASIS users signed a user agreement with the GSS to allow us to do this to them whenever they want.)

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Randarkman posted:

Well, from listening to the first 372 pages episode on the new book, I've now learned that in Ernest Cline's future world it's apparently now pretty popular to make your children live through a simulation of their mothers giving birth to them when they get old enough. What?

Oh yeah. It gets worse. Have fun.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

So how about that Prince boss battle where a Spin Doctors joke gets a dude killed

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

If I posted real excerpts from the book, nobody would believe they were real.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

quote:

After Purple Rain Prince and his two attack doves finished their bombing run, Cloud Suit Prince descended. This incarnation wore a sky-blue suit covered in white clouds. And he apparently had the ability to turn his suit invisible and phase-shift, rendering him immune to our attacks.

Cloud Suit Prince seemed especially pissed-off at me, and focused all his vocal attacks on my avatar. It took me a few minutes to figure out why: it was his Cloud Guitar that I was holding, and he wanted it back.

Cloud Suit Prince was singing a song from 1984 called “I Would Die 4 U.” But he altered the lyrics of its chorus slightly, so what I heard was, “You will. Die for. Me. Yeah! That is how it’s gonna be!” Each rapid-fire chord he strummed on his Mad Cat fired another sonic blast down at me, like a gunfighter fanning the barrel of his six-shooter.

Aech referred to the next Prince in the attack conga line as Gett Off Prince. This one was dressed in a tight-fitting yellow lace suit with two circles cut out in the rear to expose his bare rear end cheeks. Thankfully he didn’t fire any sonic attacks from them. Those came from his yellow guitar, which looked identical to mine, aside from the color.

I thought I was hallucinating when the next Prince descended on us. Aech referred to him as “Gemini.” Shoto called him “Partyman.” My image-recognition software’s best guess was “Batdance Prince.” To me, he looked like the villain Two-Face, except that he was Batman on the left half and the green-haired Joker on his right half. He hurled joke bombs from one hand and batarangs from the other, then swooped back up and away, to dodge our counterattacks.

quote:

“Hey,” I said. “Wouldn’t we get there faster…in a Ferrari?”

I pointed to the woods behind Jake Ryan’s house. There, visible through the trees, was a secluded house on stilts. I recognized it as Cameron Frye’s residence. And from here, we could see the separate glass-walled garage at the back of the house.

“Forget it,” Art3mis said. “Cameron’s dad has a state-of-the-art security system. You can only steal that car in the daytime, with the keys and with Cameron’s help. If you try to steal it now, you’ll end up in the Shermer jail, with the kid from Reach the Rock. It’s easy enough to escape, but we’d waste thirty minutes.” She smiled. “We could steal the same Ferrari from Alec Baldwin, in a church parking lot just a few blocks from here,” she said, pointing off to the south. Then she glanced at her watch. “But the Briggs-Bainbridge wedding doesn’t start for another hour. Sorry, but I’m afraid Mr. Ryan’s Rolls-Royce is our best option at the moment.”

“Fine,” I muttered. “We’ll take this brown poo poo box.”

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Wall Balls posted:

ernest cline does not know how revolvers work

Ernest Cline doesn't know how most things work except a word processor.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Elderbean posted:

Hydrogen has one proton, right? Shouldn't you be knocking protons off multiple atoms?

I cannot emphasize enough that this part in RP1 is Wade literally stopping the plot from progressing to recite this entire passage from Halliday's journal, while also describing how he spent like a week with an OASIS-compatible sexbot and virtual brothels (the same kind of job his mom had when she died of a speedball overdose) before feeling dirty and getting rid of it. He did this because the girl he had a crush on stopped talking to him when he tried to learn her real name. He later hacks IOI and gets her personal file to find out her name, address, and appearance and she forgives him almost instantly when he tells her this because he's saving the virtual world from being monetized.

RP2 actually ramps up the weird sex and relationship poo poo.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

quote:

The clacking of typewriter keys ceased, and we heard someone get up, followed by approaching footsteps. Then the door opened, and there he was, standing right in front of us, in the simulated flesh: John Wilden Hughes Jr.

He looked different from how he’d looked when I’d caught a glimpse of him a few hours earlier, as he was collecting his morning paper with the other middle-aged men of Shermer. His hair was longer and spikier. His glasses were bigger and rounder and had different frames. He had the same rounded features and the same sad, wise eyes. But he no longer wore the stern, impassive expression he’d had back when he was Mr. Johnson. Now that he was Mr. Hughes, he was full of energy and emotion—along with epic amounts of nicotine and caffeine, judging by all of the empty coffee cups on his desk, and the overflowing ashtray beside his enormous green IBM Selectric typewriter.

Behind his desk, carefully displayed on some shelves, were dozens of pairs of shoes—his famous sneaker collection, which continued to grow throughout his life.

“Art3mis!” he bellowed in an extremely deep voice, smiling wide in recognition as soon as he saw her. “I’ve been expecting you!”

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The really sad part is this paragraph has multiple things that occur in the book for real.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Elderbean posted:

Are any goons brave enough to read this for the rest of us?

I do have plans to do a thread after my Twilight one is done. It’s going to focus on finding a way to enjoy and analyze media better than Cline does, so I’m watching a lot of movies and playing a lot of retro games!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

yoloer420 posted:

Is this actually from the book? If it is I'll read it.

The ending is actually much, much dumber.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

me your dad posted:

So was this first movie good? It looked like a bad William Gibson story about kids being bad asses in "cyber world".

It fixes the worst parts of the book by removing the weird sex stuff, some of Wade's more psycho stalker behavior, and the homophobic and transphobic stuff, and the spectacle actually comes across properly with Spielberg making it a movie.

It still sucks.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Groovelord Neato posted:

It is wild that "they name drop sonic.exe" sounds like something Fancy Hat would've thrown in one of his posts but actually happens in the book.

It's legitimately impossible to tell which posts in this thread are trolling and which are real text if you haven't read it. It's that loving bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Cline is a really weird dude and he wrote RP2 after retrospective criticism of the original started hitting hard, so a lot of the book's content is a direct response to ongoing criticism of his old writing. But because he's a weird turbonerd with sexual issues, he doubles down on some bad poo poo while trying to make the book more "inclusive." Thus you get scenes like Wade spying on a player in real life to see who they are, finding out she's a trans girl, and declaring that he used to hate gay and trans people until he used brain recordings to have every kind of sex and realized that love is love.