Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

A Fancy Hat posted:

"I recognize these barrels. Wait a minute, I recognize these girders, too! Don't you see what's going on?"

Wade looked alarmed. The sword from Lord of the Rings that glows blue when it senses orcs was glowing blue right now, which meant orcs must be nearby. But, sadly, nobody else seemed to get it.

"Well," said Feivel from An American Tail, "I don't recognize it. What is it?"

"No, of course you wouldn't. You never spent a minute of your life in an arcade, not like me. It's from Donkey Kong, the arcade game. We're in the game."

"Oh no, does this mean we need to save the Princess?"

"Not even close. Again, if you played the game, you'd know that we're saving PAULINE. Jeez, you're lucky you have me around to keep you safe!"

Feivel prayed to his Jewish gods and thanked them for sending this great man to help him. He looked up at the top of the tower made of red girders. It reminded him of New York City, where he lived in the first movie but not the second one. In that one, he was in the old west.

loving lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Ernst Cline's second book Armada (though almost certainly written before Ready Player One and he just pulled it out of a drawer) is straight up the Last Starfighter but jam packed with 80s references.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Mrs. Dash posted:

someone told me a character in Armada explicitly says "Wow this is exactly like the movie The Last Starfighter!"

Supposedly the plot of Ready Player Two is exactly like Sword Art Online (I don't watch anime so I don't know) and a YouTuber theorized that Spielberg came up with the plot for this book with Cline during production of the movie and Cline couldn't tell him "that's just Sword Art Online" so instead he had a bunch of characters reference it in the text.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

I never realized how much he looks like Quinton Reviews.

That's actually the YouTuber I was referencing in my previous post haha

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Fried Watermelon posted:

Does he talk about Japanese stuff or is it solely the western version of stuff

The plot of the book is a ripoff of the anime Sword Art Online and multiple characters name drop it.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It is wild that "they name drop sonic.exe" sounds like something Fancy Hat would've thrown in one of his posts but actually happens in the book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

lmao

"No words...they should have sent a poet," the poster said - of course referencing the 1997 science-fiction film Contact an adaptation of the book by Carl Sagan.