Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

I might have to hate-read this.
I can believe how much mileage they're getting out of the rule of cool with how much other franchises depend on it (star wars, wh40k, etc.) but ready player one struck me as basically just, "wouldn't it be cool if [insert pop culture reference] had to team up with [insert pop culture reference] and fight [insert pop culture reference] and then there's also some [insert pop culture reference] going on?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Giggle Goose posted:

I do not understand this endless nostalgia worship in modern-American culture. The present is no picnic sure, but there is drat good new art out there in every medium that is and ever has been just about. Not just traditional films and TV shows, music, and writing, but also all the weird new subcultures created by the ubiquity of the internet. And that's just the poo poo coming out of the US! One of my friends has asked me to watch the movie with him about 5 times now and I just can't even understand the base appeal of the film (let alone the novel cause these loving passages y'all are posting are bat poo poo to the point I can't hardly tell which are the fakes and which are genuine excerpts). I'd say I'm too old to understand, but it sure seems like there are an awful lot of 30-40ish guys that are super into it. Are the younger crowd into this poo poo too?

Because with nostalgia you don't have to do anything financially risky like creating anything new. Just get the license of something from the demographic you want paying to watch it and call it a day.