Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Raisins are great, top-tier dried fruit.

I think my dried fruit tier list is something like:

The good kind of dates
Unsulfured, unsweetened mango
Raisins
Unsulfured apricots
Figs
Prunes

Anything that’s sweetened/sulfured

I have had bad raisins though. Got a bunch from Aldi and I’m pretty sure I had a rat turd in it or something. Or possibly a glob of dirt. My mouth tasted like poo poo after I unknowingly bit into that.

A good dried fig is incredible, up there with dates. Most figs are dry and trash though. Last bag I got from Costco was buggy and I didn’t bother eating them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Sulphured mango is really good, hardly counts as dried fruit, and blows me away that it's shelf stable.

This fucker right here from Costco feels like cheating

When it was out of stock, my snacking habits unfortunately got healthier for a couple months.

Philippine brand is good too, but can't beat Costco prices.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

If you have a dehydrator then apple slices freshly dried are absolutely amazing, but they lose all flavour within a day, so you gotta eat them quick.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I destroy those bags of chili dried mango at trader Joe's

Then they destroy me

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
There is a new international food store in town, heavy emphasis on eastern European and places like Turkey, Arabic foods. So many dates! I am tempted to buy some, but I don't know the varieties. People have a favorite date? I saw a recipe recently of stuffed dates in a video, that looked neat. (Tasting History, Roman snack food!)

Also discovered a type of smoked beef prosciutto, from Bosnia I believe, that is magical. Having fun buying random things to try. All the random pickles.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Arkhamina posted:

There is a new international food store in town, heavy emphasis on eastern European and places like Turkey, Arabic foods. So many dates! I am tempted to buy some, but I don't know the varieties. People have a favorite date? I saw a recipe recently of stuffed dates in a video, that looked neat. (Tasting History, Roman snack food!)

Also discovered a type of smoked beef prosciutto, from Bosnia I believe, that is magical. Having fun buying random things to try. All the random pickles.

Medjool. For too long I didn’t eat dates as my early experience with them was that they were grainy, then I tried another one (a good one) and I was blown away. They are like toffee fruit. So delicious. Good fried mango and soft apricots are great too. In France last summer they had the most incredible prunes. Such a deep, complex, rich flavour.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Medjool are fabulous, but the little waxy ones have their place, too.

Speaking of dried mango, I love Amchur, which is Indian dried sour mango. I usually get it as powder, but you can get whole slices, too.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
What do you do with powdered mango?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Arkhamina posted:

It's used in a bunch of indian dishes

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Arkhamina posted:

Snort it, obviously

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
wonder if it'd be good as a flavoring in butter mochi like matcha is

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Arkhamina posted:

Chana Masala usually has a sour taste, and some places in India use amchor to get that flavor.

It's great in sauces to add a fruity, sour note, and I love to sprinkle it on pork chops.

Leraika posted:

wonder if it'd be good as a flavoring in butter mochi like matcha is

Good idea, let's find out! Tell me how it goes.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Squashy Nipples posted:

Chana Masala usually has a sour taste, and some places in India use amchor to get that flavor.

It's great in sauces to add a fruity, sour note, and I love to sprinkle it on pork chops.

Good idea, let's find out! Tell me how it goes.

no problem, I'll just have to figure out where to get some powdered mango

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Arkhamina posted:

There is a new international food store in town, heavy emphasis on eastern European and places like Turkey, Arabic foods.

I used to live right next to a place like that. Really miss their olive bar and like 10 different types of feta :shobon:

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I made chilli oil a while ago by adding dried chillies to oil. Very complicated! I’ve topped it up once already. It’s running low. Any reason I can’t just add more oil?

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Arkhamina posted:

What kinda do they have? A few years ago I bought some dates from Oasis dates. They grow a bunch of varieties in the california desert.

I got Halawi, zahidi, and black abbaba.

I think the Halawi were my favorite? They were a bit more chewy, but not dry. Also smaller.

The black abbaba were good too, I do remember them having a little bit different of a flavor. I remember the Halawi and zahidi having pretty similar flavor to medjool, but different texture and size.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

anyone have a good online date source? I could go for a few more boxes of specialty dates. They’re great but I feel bad since they use soooooo much water to grow

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I think people like hinge or feelid or grindr right now

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Eeyo posted:

anyone have a good online date source? I could go for a few more boxes of specialty dates. They’re great but I feel bad since they use soooooo much water to grow

Dates? I thought dates used barely any, which is why they were traditionally grown in arid environments.

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

therattle posted:

Dates? I thought dates used barely any, which is why they were traditionally grown in arid environments.

A book I read recently quoted around 270 gallons per pound of dates produced. Not sure how that compares to other crops, though. Apparently they grow well where there's little rain but access to aquifers, where the Palms pull most of the water.

As an aside, the book was Endangered Eating by Sarah Lohman, and it's a look at some American foods in the Ark of Taste. I thought it was a really interesting look at how food in the US has changed, and how our culture has changed with it, if you're into that kind of thing.

mystes
May 31, 2006

In california I think they just use shitloads of water to grow dates in arid areas. I assume that's somehow different from the actual conditions they normally grow in.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Tree nuts use way more water than that

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Yeah they’re like oasis plants I think. They need the water from the oasis to be healthy.

I just eat them as a treat occasionally which is fine, it’s not like they’re insanely bad. But like I would absolutely eat dates every day if I could get away with it, they’re so good. And that’s probably not healthy for me or wherever they’re grown.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

Arkhamina posted:

It's great as a finisher for a bunch of different curries.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

therattle posted:

I made chilli oil a while ago by adding dried chillies to oil. Very complicated! I’ve topped it up once already. It’s running low. Any reason I can’t just add more oil?

None, but it will start to lose its potency after a while. I find the first top up is usually OK, but the second starts to get a lot weaker, and I’ve never found it worth it doing it a third time

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Scientastic posted:

None, but it will start to lose its potency after a while. I find the first top up is usually OK, but the second starts to get a lot weaker, and I’ve never found it worth it doing it a third time

Thanks. That’s exactly what I thought, although the second batch seemed even stronger than the first. Maybe it is the amount of time the oil was exposed to the chilies.

therattle fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Mar 27, 2024

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
Welp, we had some stuff going on while making dinner last night, and I forgot about a long ferment and overproofed the bread...by about twelve hours.

I'm baking it on principle while starting a new poolish, but my whole house smells like Subway and now I guess I get it. Just like Starbucks burns the roast a little for consistency, if you overdo it every time, it becomes a new standard (and scalable with minimal training).

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I'm getting a camera up my rear end tomorrow, so I'm on the gatorade/jello/broth diet.

I bought a bunch of different pre-made broths in rectangular containers, figured I could do a taste test, since I never drink broth straight up.
So far, the best tasting is definitely the Better Than Bouillon veggie base that I already had in my fridge. Yummy.

https://www.amazon.com/Better-Than-Bouillon-Seasoned-Vegetable/dp/B0B59D5VH8/

Maybe I just don't like beef broth straight up?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Squashy Nipples posted:

I'm getting a camera up my rear end tomorrow

These TikTok crazes continue to make me feel very old and out of touch

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Squashy Nipples posted:

I'm getting a camera up my rear end tomorrow, so I'm on the gatorade/jello/broth diet.

I bought a bunch of different pre-made broths in rectangular containers, figured I could do a taste test, since I never drink broth straight up.
So far, the best tasting is definitely the Better Than Bouillon veggie base that I already had in my fridge. Yummy.

https://www.amazon.com/Better-Than-Bouillon-Seasoned-Vegetable/dp/B0B59D5VH8/

Maybe I just don't like beef broth straight up?

Yeah I like that stuff. These days I use the No chicken variety (vegetarian chicken flavored). I think it tends to blend in a bit better flavor wise, if maybe a bit more boring than the veggie stock variety.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Scientastic posted:

These TikTok crazes continue to make me feel very old and out of touch

Thread (and Scientastic) continues to deliver.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

bloody ghost titty posted:

Welp, we had some stuff going on while making dinner last night, and I forgot about a long ferment and overproofed the bread...by about twelve hours.

I'm baking it on principle while starting a new poolish, but my whole house smells like Subway and now I guess I get it. Just like Starbucks burns the roast a little for consistency, if you overdo it every time, it becomes a new standard (and scalable with minimal training).

Punching it back and re-proofing it should work, right?

How did it come out?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Nettle Soup posted:

Never the same as the start. Fermentation consumes simple sugars and creates alcohol & CO2. If overpoofed, attempting to punch down and proof again might have too little sugar, so it can't get the same proof level as the first time. Depends on the starting point, some doughs have enough for two full rounds so it'll work out.

Yeast is also a living organism so is subject to change over time / as the generations grow

Totally Reasonable
Jan 8, 2008

aaag mirrors

mystes posted:

In california I think they just use shitloads of water to grow dates in arid areas. I assume that's somehow different from the actual conditions they normally grow in.

You're thinking of almonds. Shithead almond growers eat a huge fraction of the agricultural water in california, and their produce is the second-worst nut after walnuts.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Man, first people hate on raisins, now walnuts?

The worst nut is the Brazil nut, hands down. Musty, greasy nut.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

Nettle Soup posted:

How did it come out?

Per BB, once it's over proofed you're not totally coming back, unless you use it as a big rear end poolish to start another fermentation. Because the yeasties were tired, I didn't get a ton of rise in the oven, and it came out sour as all heck, but it's a very pleasant dipping/toasting bread. Just real dense.

Our starter is more aromatic than sour, it was a welcome gift from my partner's best friend's mother who got it when she moved here 50+ years ago from an Amish community. The starter was at least a (human) generation old from Central KY when she got it, which explains why it smells *a ton* like mashing grain, what with all the distilleries down there. In short, it's nearly immortal, and can do no wrong, only be failed.

We call him Frank, after the time my partner fed it, screwed the cap back on, and inadvertantly created a pressurized environment for the semi-liquid slurry. She had to open it in the shower, and then take a shower. Frank Reynolds strikes again.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Per BB, once it's over proofed you're not totally coming back, unless you use it as a big rear end poolish to start another fermentation. Because the yeasties were tired, I didn't get a ton of rise in the oven, and it came out sour as all heck, but it's a very pleasant dipping/toasting bread. Just real dense.

Our starter is more aromatic than sour, it was a welcome gift from my partner's best friend's mother who got it when she moved here 50+ years ago from an Amish community. The starter was at least a (human) generation old from Central KY when she got it, which explains why it smells *a ton* like mashing grain, what with all the distilleries down there. In short, it's nearly immortal, and can do no wrong, only be failed.

We call him Frank, after the time my partner fed it, screwed the cap back on, and inadvertantly created a pressurized environment for the semi-liquid slurry. She had to open it in the shower, and then take a shower. Frank Reynolds strikes again.

like the namesake, that starter got real weird with it and that's just plain good fun for him

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Is "gusher / bottle bomb" a fermentation rite of passage on par with "your mandolin requires at least one blood sacrifice"?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Arkhamina posted:

Man, first people hate on raisins, now walnuts?

The worst nut is the Brazil nut, hands down. Musty, greasy nut.

Who hates on walnuts? I like all nuts. Not equally, but definitely all of them. If peanuts weren’t so common and cheap they’d be much more highly regarded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

therattle posted:

I like all nuts. Not equally, but definitely all of them. If peanuts weren’t so common and cheap they’d be much more highly regarded.

Smart man. I love peanuts, I cook with four different kinds of peanuts in my shop. Delicious, and yet the cheapest nut by far.

Most expensive nut are the Colossal Roasted Salted Cashews.
I think cashews are over-rated, I'd rather have pecans.

therattle posted:

Who hates on walnuts?

White people from Michigan?

Despite the existence of national chains, chocolate, fudge, and ice cream have extremely regional tastes. Walnuts are very popular here in New England, we like Maple Walnut Ice Cream, we like nuts in fudge, and they are very popular as an ice cream topping both dry and wet. "Dry Nuts" just means plain walnut pieces, "Wet Nuts" is walnut pieces in a sugar syrup; you don't even have to say "walnut" here. They are just ice cream nuts.

Which isn't to say that everyone likes them, some folks have strong opinions on fudge with/without walnuts.

Anyway, my franchise is based out of Michigan, so I sell Mackinac Island style-fudge, and mid-western style ice cream, which means Blue Moon and Superman (I always know where someone is from if they get excited to see those two). But apparently, people from the mid west absolutely HATE walnuts and ice cream?

They trimmed back the ice cream flavors during the pandemic, and the first flavor to get the axe? Maple Walnut.

And then they started dinging me on my reviews for "Selling unapproved ice cream toppings".
This was true, it wasn't an approved ice cream topping, I just got sick of my customers asking for dry nuts so I repurposed a fudge ingredient. Clearly, I'm a monster.

When I pushed back, and told them how consistent my customer demand was, they didn't believe me. The official response was literally "Who likes walnuts on ice cream?"