Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rugikiki
Jan 15, 2008

Illinois Nazis.
I hate Illinois Nazis!

Falling knives have no handles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

My reflex most of my life was to "catch" things with my feet, that is, to slow it down as if a hackey sack.

Didn't take too many accidents to unlearn this.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I just try to lay underneath it fast as I can

Still no success

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

BrianBoitano posted:

My reflex most of my life was to "catch" things with my feet, that is, to slow it down as if a hackey sack.

Didn't take too many accidents to unlearn this.

Yeah, that’s exactly the same reflex. Luckily no accidents yet but I’ve had some terrifyingly close shaves

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Ten minutes ago, i tried to hackey sack a dropped plastic pitcher of grape crystal light. thankfully, there was maybe a centimeter of beverage left in it or i would have kicked an 8-pound liquid container and hurt my foot, or painted my kitchen walls purple

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Maybe they'd look nice purple? Now you'll never know.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

my landlord might not like it, but then again...

maybe ill grease up my pitcher later and see what happens

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

J Kenji Lopez' Youtube channel is so good.

Sounds like a very low bar, but it's nice to be able to watch someone on YT that can actually articulate a thought without 10 jump cuts and also isn't trying to bedazzle everything for clout. Also it's just super informative.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Yeah he’s one of the youtube cooks I mind the least.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

My favorite thing about Kenji is that while he explains why he does things the way he does, he fully acknowledges that other people might have different ingredient availability, might have other preferred methods, and reinforces that it's OK. Too many of the YT cooks used to lean into the idea that their way was the only way, and if you didn't have XYZ ingredients then you may as well not try.

Chef John has always done this as well, I believe.

mystes
May 31, 2006

The pov video format that kenji does is really good about showing the actual process and amount of work involved in making a dish

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Shooting Blanks posted:

My favorite thing about Kenji is that while he explains why he does things the way he does, he fully acknowledges that other people might have different ingredient availability, might have other preferred methods, and reinforces that it's OK. Too many of the YT cooks used to lean into the idea that their way was the only way, and if you didn't have XYZ ingredients then you may as well not try.

Chef John has always done this as well, I believe.

That’s just you cookin’.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

After all, you are the Goons With Spoons of your crab Rangoons :kiddo:

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

BrianBoitano posted:

After all, you are the Goons With Spoons of your crab Rangoons :kiddo:

I heard that in his voice.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
I think one adittional thing that really helps making Kenji's videos good is that Youtube isn't really his main income source, I assume. That means he isn't really beholden to the algorithm the same ways most other youtubers are. He doesn't have to worry as much about making silly thumbnail faces, and clickbait titles, worry about the optimal video length and cramming in sponsor messages. He should be freer to make the videos he is interested in making for the moment.

mystes
May 31, 2006

DekeThornton posted:

I think one adittional thing that really helps making Kenji's videos good is that Youtube isn't really his main income source, I assume. That means he isn't really beholden to the algorithm the same ways most other youtubers are. He doesn't have to worry as much about making silly thumbnail faces, and clickbait titles, worry about the optimal video length and cramming in sponsor messages. He should be freer to make the videos he is interested in making for the moment.
I kind of thought that youtube and his books were now his main thing but I could be wrong

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
He's got a column with NYT Cooking, apparently. And a new podcast about recipe development.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
With 1,5 million subscribers his youtube income likely isn't trivial, but I had the impression he also does a bunch of food industry freelance consultant stuff, in additiion to writing for the NYT and other media things.

I could very well be wrong though.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
his wife was like level 7 or 8 at google, at that level total comp is getting close to a million bucks / year, if not over

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Yeah I could have sworn he described himself as some kind of "stay at home dad" at some point.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

He's also still part-owner of Wursthall, which probably brings in some extra scratch.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I haven't watched any Food Network since I cut the cable 4 years ago, but where I live I get like 9 PBS stations with my OTA antenna (plus I'm a PBS sponsor, so I can stream all of it anyway).

The single best cooking show on all of television is Patti's Mexican Table.
Come at me.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

The ranch gordo beans are really hit or miss. My dad gave us some caballero beans and they were pretty terrible. Weird, beany (not in a good way), sweet, just totally deteriorated before getting soft, and worst of all buggy. Had to spend extra time picking out the dried ones hit by weevils, then a lot of time picking out the ones I missed the first time after they soaked.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

Eeyo posted:

The ranch gordo beans are really hit or miss. My dad gave us some caballero beans and they were pretty terrible. Weird, beany (not in a good way), sweet, just totally deteriorated before getting soft, and worst of all buggy. Had to spend extra time picking out the dried ones hit by weevils, then a lot of time picking out the ones I missed the first time after they soaked.

And they were stored in the original packaging? I've had nothing but great experiences with RG, to include customer service.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Yeah I’m mostly annoyed by the bugginess. I think they just weren’t my taste, but I can definitely see the appeal. I’m just grumpy because I cooked them for some soup and didn’t like them at all.

My dad got them not too long ago (he’s in the bean club) and shipped them to me pretty much immediately after he got them in the original package. I’m not a bean pest expert so I don’t actually know what it was, as in whether it was field damage or storage damage.

Their bean sorting is hit or miss IME. In the past I’ve gotten immaculate beans, but also some extremely grubby and damaged beans. Like 50/50 or something, I tend to have to pick and clean them more than grocery store beans.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
I've gone through a bunch of their beans of different sorts and I've never found any bugs or rocks and I think I could fit all the bad/damaged beans in the palm of one hand.

Not disputing what happened to you, but it really hasn't been my experience.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

SubG posted:

I've gone through a bunch of their beans of different sorts and I've never found any bugs or rocks and I think I could fit all the bad/damaged beans in the palm of one hand.

Not disputing what happened to you, but it really hasn't been my experience.

I’m disputing it. Why are you lying to us?! WHY??! Are you a stooge for Big Bean?

Also, for those who eat a lot of peanut butter and tahini

https://www.instagram.com/p/C5zFWv5iyVB/?igsh=MWl4dW56ZzBkbnJvcw==
(Full disclosure: that’s me, I’m need of a shave)

therattle fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Apr 16, 2024

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
necessity truly is the mother of invention

more food problems need to be solved with power drills tbqh

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

The place I worked at once got tahini in five gallon buckets.

The bottom half foot of that poo poo was concrete, even the industrial-strength immersion blender was like, wtf you want me to do with this?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Brawnfire posted:

The place I worked at once got tahini in five gallon buckets.

The bottom half foot of that poo poo was concrete, even the industrial-strength immersion blender was like, wtf you want me to do with this?

One of those cement mixer drill attachments.

Leraika posted:

necessity truly is the mother of invention

more food problems need to be solved with power drills tbqh

AGREED. One can buy dedicated peanut butter/tahini drill attachments but they are surprisingly expensive. Cleaning attachments are also available.

The best method is actually to put the whole new jar into the food processor. With good scraping technique there is minimal waste. But it’s not as much fun and doesn’t work with crunchy peanut butter (unless you want to convert it to smooth)

therattle fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Apr 16, 2024

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
That musician La Roux hasn’t got any songs about flour-based sauces seems like a wasted opportunity.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

therattle posted:

I’m disputing it. Why are you lying to us?! WHY??! Are you a stooge for Big Bean?

Also, for those who eat a lot of peanut butter and tahini

https://www.instagram.com/p/C5zFWv5iyVB/?igsh=MWl4dW56ZzBkbnJvcw==
(Full disclosure: that’s me, I’m need of a shave)

Omg rattle you’re such a handsome man. :)

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

dino. posted:

Omg rattle you’re such a handsome man. :)

Thanks. I know. :haw:

That was me badly needing a shave (and making goofy expressions), although I quite like the beard - but not the longer hair (such as it is) that goes with it. But my wife doesn’t care for the shaved head and beard look, so I had to choose. I shaved back down to stubble.

therattle fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Apr 17, 2024

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Duz6CB9nofQ

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

I like how he wears turtlenecks both summer and winter.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Should see the How To Drink version of that, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mTocv3HV5w

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I can see how it would be Christmas-adjacent, what with the flavor of dried/cooked fruit and spices, it’s halfway to being a mulled wine

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Dr. Pepper is also good mixed as 1 of 3 parts in eggnog and bourbon.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Dr. Pepper is also good mixed as 1 of 3 parts in eggnog and bourbon.

That sentence just gets worse and worse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

My drink of choice is the Pibb's Cup.