Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Every year we do a big NYE party, I make a bunch of appetizers, try to convert mixed drinks into jello shots, and often have a rare whole beef tenderloin to share.

I miss cooking for friends, and I am pondering doing a bunch of appetizers, sticking them in take out containers, and doorstepping them to locals. Obviously the hot buffalo chicken dip is out, but thinking some interesting deviled eggs, a charcuterie selection, vegies could be nice. Brandy old fashioned jello, tequila shooter jello, spiced egg nog jello.

What other hors d'oeuvres might travel well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
I would love a Russian cooking thread, although/because I know next to nothing about the food.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
I bought that Anne V. Russian book, but haven't made stuff from it, need to plan out a grocery trip. I get mocked for my love of paprika, I would love some hungarian tips!

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Hah, I like the vanilla reference. I keep big stocks of Penzeys smoked, half sharp, and normal. Eggs without a good dusting taste weird now.

On a random note, I really miss cooking for people beyond my two person household. I used to host games every weekend, and cook for 12-15 people. Now I cook once in a while for a local charity, but everything is takeout containers, in a fridge, and I never see the people eat. I didn't realize how much I enjoyed feeding friends. Just not the same when you are not across the table.

My friends going to get stuffed like fois gras geese when they can come over again.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
I have messed around with making injera bread from teff flour, but while I can handle the pan side of it, I am a bad sourdough parent, and forget if I have fed it, or go too long without feeding it, and WOW does it get ripe.

Injera when done nicely is stretchy, nutty, fairly waterproof (so you can use it as an eating implement with finger). Also gluten free, which the store bought stuff is not, because wheat flour is cheaper than teff... If you're a sourdough fan, check it out. Most recipes are like 'mix water and flour until the correct texture' however...

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
:words: Finding the gf teff is step 1 - guessing from spelling, you are UK. Here teff is often milled in same surroundings as wheat. Bob's Red Mill brand has dedicated gf milling.

I mixed about 3 cups teff flour with about 4 cups water, but what you are aiming for is a really thin pancake batter. Crepe maybe? (Been 15+ years celiac, so a hazy memory) add a 1/2 tsp salt. Last time, I gave it a little kicker of baking yeast. Some recipes skip this. Cover it loosely with saran wrap or Cheese cloth, and let it hang out on the counter for 5 days. I gave it a little stir, and a bit more flour and water, but I am a sour dough novice. Once it has soured, it may get a bit of a gross skin. You can decant to a different container, leave that.

At this point, you have hopefully a slightly bubbly brown slurry, that wants to separate. You can tuck it into the fridge. To make injera, take more teff and water, make a thin pancake batter, add a cup of starter, let it sit for an hour or two, room temperature. Should get bubbly. For a pan, get the flattest nonstick pan you can find, that you can lid. They make these electric tortilla griddles that are perfect, but I just use a glass lid and a big fry pan. Seeing it cook is helpful to know when it is done. It your pan is really good, you don't need any oil, otherwise a tiny bit of spray oil. Heat the pan medium hot. You will have to experiment, but you want to pour in a small amount of batter, and tilt the pan around to form as thin a layer as possible, then slam the lid down tight. You want to see the edges dry and small bubbles set all through it. As I understand, cool injera makers don't flip, it is single side cook only. I won't tell if you flip it. Experience will tell you when it sets up, and you can always add more liquid to thin the batter out. I would recommend watching YouTube for seeing how the pros use wrist action to spread the batter. When each one is done, it will need to steam off and cool a bit. Before that, it will stick to absolutely everything. Be prepared to eat some ugly ones, I would practice a fair bit before any shared dinner!

Arkhamina fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Feb 3, 2021

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
So I don't speak Spanish well, but after looking for (and finding) a great recipe for beef heart from this Youtube Chef from Peru, AbelCA https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLo4iFzYKSuI1FRbMJxQgNA I've been subscribing and watching a lot of his videos. One of the things he's used a couple times is this amazing looking corn - I know it's unlikely to be found up north, but has anyone seen this in the States, or know what it might be called? I could try to grow it, but 'really big knobby white corn' isn't an official cultivar. Doesn't look like anything I've seen in a seed catalog.

Also, shout out for his videos - if you know even basic kitchen spanish, most of it is pretty easy to sort out. Lots of interesting fish dishes, chicken including one where they used the semi-formed eggs from it's guts!?

Mysterious Corn Pic -

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Pozole roja is wonderful stuff. I made it for a big meal at the Ronald McDonald House once, and did the full spread of cut chilies, radishes, cilantro, cheese, etc. Had a Hispanic family staying there who were teaching other people to dress their pozole to taste. Made me happy... I had made a sign saying 'Pozole (Pork corn stew, a close cousin of Chili)' because Wisconsin, can't assume people will have seen it... Introduced an older lady there to enchiladas! Never had them...

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
I went to a new 'megamart' style asian grocery store yesterday that opened up recently. Tons of great new stuff, including tons of seafood. Going to be trying new things! That said, in the meat section, there were a bunch of skinned duck heads on trays. What do you use those for? I can't imagine duckface has much meat. Stock? Gelatin?

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
As a girl, I got kicked out by the troop leader of Jr. Girl Scouts after she had a big argument with my mom. The previous meeting had said woman telling all 5 girls in the troop around the table our biggest character flaws so we could work on them. Passed that on to my mom, and she was livid. Later I bought a boy scout handbook and messed around with knots and semaphore stuff, but with no one to show it off to, I lost interest. 12 year old me Absolutely wanted to go camping, do knots and flags and such. GS had us baking cakes and doing macrame.

Food chat: what's your favorite camping food? I tend to camp heavy, with cast iron dutch oven that I love to do either beef stew or sausage and beans in. Just got a lighter weight Stanley cookset. I got a book on making dehydrated camp meals, and want to try stews utilizing dried meat and veg. Any excuse to poke a fire while drinking box wine from a tin cup...

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Oh, I have to try making Arepas. There is a local restaurant that does them, but it's on the opposite side of town, and tends to have pretty long waits for food if you don't plan ahead.

One lazy/cheap hiking food I like is dressed up instant mashed potatoes. You can put all sorts of things in them, and they are basically done as soon as you add water. Hard cheese that doesn't need cold, sliced spam, instant onions, dehydrated mushrooms... Get your carb on.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Sounds like it would fit the thread title well. How was the milk-goo?

Powdered milk, gov'ment peanut butter, powdered sugar, raisins, and dry oatmeal was a 'nutrition bar' I recall with likely rose tinted glasses, when I was a kid. Would get them in our summer program for poor kids in the 80s, and they were the best! So long as you had little cartons of milk to wash them down...

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Just the two of us on weeknights (lot of nerds over on weekends!) And we eat together about half the time. If I am spent from work (I do city garbage customer service) I verbalize 'I'm crispy, mind if I go stare at the computer?' because sometimes my voice is fragged, my human saturation is max.

We try to do things after dinner at least once a week, like board or card games. Last night was a Choose Your Own Adventure co op game!

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
I both covet nice dishes and fear to use them. Corelle it is.... Maybe someday...

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
I just discovered Penzey's spices ground rosemary, and now I want to roast all of the veg. When I can't find fresh rosemary, I tend to find the dry stuff sharp and hard to moisten up.

I am currently drowning in (giant, not pickling size) cukes from my CSA - I have done the yoghurt cuke salad, taboulhi(sp) with quinoa, tons just sliced with salt, and cuke and cheese sandwiches.

Any other suggestions? It's just 2 people and we have 5 in the fridge right now ... In addition to zucchini and a fat bag of tomatoes on the counter. Bumper year for them...

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
If it takes a while, know you will get faster, and that audiobooks and cooking are great combos. Unless you're food processor or cranking an oven hood. (Ours sounds like a jet, I have to use noise canceling earphones)

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Fry hotdogs!

As a kid, I always wanted those ones with a vein of Cheese Food Product down the center, but my mom just slit the side of the weiner and put a thin strip if cheese in them.

Then again, she also conned us into drinking molasses milk instead of chocolate milk. (It's high in iron!) I tried again as an adult, and it's not horrible... But certainly not chocolate milk equal.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Oh. Man - there was a dish an ex's mom (born in Poland, Jewish) used to make with red cabbage, and a rice/meat mix, with a tart (vinegar?) Tomato sauce. I was only like 20 then and just starting to cook so I have no idea what made the sauce so amazing, but it was tangy and different from any other sauce I had had before.

She was great, unabashedly trying to fatten me up because she though I was too skinny to breed well. (I had it dated her son like... 3 months). Every dinner had soup from scratch, and she would pour heavy cream on top until it was surface tension full. She kept saying she thought I might be Jewish but not know it because I loved all her food. (No, you're just a great cook!). One of a few times where I wished I could dump the boy but keep the mommy :)

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib

SubG posted:

You're describing gołąbkis, if you want to look up recipes to try to chase the version you remember. They're a quintessentially Polish dish so pretty much any source for Polish recipes will have a recipe for gołąbkis, but they're one of those things where everybody's matka/babcia has their own special version. Or at least it was that way in mid-20th Century communities of Polish immigrants in the US.

Neat. Yeah, she was a great cook, but basically everything was in her head, and she measured with like... Coffee cups or whatever was handy. Recipe? Nope!

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Oh that looks awesome, thanks! Will definitely try it.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
We have the competitor 'Drinkmate' which let's you carbonate pretty much anything. I have discovered Monin flavor syrup - the coffee shop ones - which come in tons of fruit flavors as well as things like pistachio or hazelnut. Pistachio soda is actually pretty good. I am currently enjoying a Sangria syrup flavor soda with lunch. Monin's website has dozens on dozens of flavor choices.

Still have yet to carbonate cold brew, but that day will come.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
When I was a young'n I had a small 10 inch by maybe 1.5 ft cast iron hibachi grill I found at a yard sale. It was awesome for kebabs or food for one person. I divested of all my stuff before traveling for a year, though. I miss that little thing. Do such things still exist? I have never seen such a tiny grill elsewhere.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Doesn't need to be cast iron, but it was neat, and held heat really well. I have a smoker and a Webber grill, realistically I don't need one. Should probably try to get one of those Lodge grill pans for the gas stove.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Could it be for making candy? I used to have a marble board... Some stuff has to be worked cold.

Is there a technique for cutting things wearing gloves? I have weird shaped hands - wide palms, shorter fingers, so I have to use XL sized gloves, or they often rip. The longer finger tips keep getting cut while I prep stuff. My volunteer cooking gig requires gloves 100% of the time (immune compromised kids/families) and it's a struggle. Also no latex (for them, not me) - and I admittedly have not the world's best knife skills.

Been trying to use my mandolin as much as possible but I keep nicking the gloves.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
My work has a health nut who toaster ovens fish in his office 2-3 times a week for breakfast.... Also often has it for lunch, and is always drinking turmeric smoothies. Got a promotion this spring that moved me away from outside of his office, back to next to our vehicle bay doors. It's a loving improvement to sit 20 feet from where 40 garbage trucks park.
(I herd city garbage truck drivers)

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
I did the same with a beef pot roast at our farmers market. I legit wonder who keeps them in business. It was like 45$ for a medium sized roast. I could have walked half a block and got a steak at my favorite fancy steakhouse, instead, but I didn't want to look cheap.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
I felt bad because... I don't know. It felt like insulting the farmer. I do guilt really well.

Now I get my beef 1/4 cow at a time.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
I love making spritz cookies with the cookie gun thing. I have tried to find a GF version, but so far have failed abjectly. I make them now it's friend's kitchens where I don't have to feel paranoid about random flour getting around... Little trees, Snowflakes, etc.

Gf ones look melty

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Shopping at an 'assorted Eastern Europe' grocery store this weekend, I discovered a beef version of Prosciutto, which seems to hail from Bosnian cuisine (but this was made in New York).

Goveda Prsuta. The brand I found is called 'Brother and Sister' and weirdly, googling it seems to show the same product I bought, with beef clearly listed label, but the description text often mentions goat. I can't see to find a webpage for the company, just people who sell it.

It's amazing. Hard, so it's easy with a sharp knife to shave off thin slices. Intensely beefy, smokey. Salty but not insanely so. It was in the refrigerator section, but I am contemplating this as possible camping food as it is the dryest, hardest meat I have encountered.

Anyone else encountered this? It's amazing!

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Never heard of bresaola before, but it sounds similar. I do wonder if that is heavy smoked though?

This store is 45 minutes away, but I think I am going to have to work my way through some of the interesting foods...

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Hungry or bored, I offer myself an apple. If I am just bored, it's not that appealing.

Except in apple season, when I eat 2-3 apples a day...

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Seconding Dino: I am not a pro cook at all (my sister is!) we were 90's latch key kids with a weirdo rural upbringing that came with a lot of baggage, but a solid food education. I never had curry until I was 18, but I could bake bread without a recipe. I didn't know what cumin was, so I just... Left it out of recipes. Skilled but ignorant as hell? My mom worshipped Crock Pots so a good amount of our food was something wholesome but lacking any sort of texture beyond 'vegetable and meat containing slurry' (eat with biscuits).

The other sort of food deserts that exist are rural ones. You get damned good at stretching and adapting food if its a 40 minute drive. Doubly so in winter if the roads haven't been plowed and you might lose power.

Now I'm a 'dink' (dual income, no kids) and I spent all morning making jam out of weird farmers market fruit (Cornelian Cherries!) and canning green beans. I have no food scarcity, but 'putting food up' as I grew up with, is this super comforting action.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib

bloody ghost titty posted:

Anyone making more complex plans than just putting things up for the dark months? I’m fermenting a hot sauce that took intimacy off the table for a few days while we wiped down the surfaces, but besides that I have no real ideas.
There is a pretty good canning thread, but so far I've done 9 pints of green beans, 18 pints of pickled beets, 17 half pints of candied jalapenos, and like 15 half pints of assorted jams. Still want to do corn, tomatoes, and some broths.

Bit of a tangent, but there was a blog post I saw a bit back, which I'd like to try...someday. Food historian got the details on what a post WWII Ration book had for food you were allowed to buy in the UK after the war. She lived on just the things she was allowed to buy in that, plus whatever she could grow herself, or trade with people (from stuff she produced herself). I'd need to do a lot of digging to figure out just what was allowed, but would be interesting to try that for an experiment.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Ooh, thanks for the Super sizers Tim, and the YouTube lady. Will check that out. I watch a comedy amount of UK TV already. Just finishing Jeremy Clarkson's Farm show, which has been a hoot.

RE spring stuff: I absolutely failed at any garden prep this year. Got COVID and I was off my game for about a month. What I had wished I had done was plant some fruit and nut shrubs (hazelnut grows here!). I also want to try to start the soil prep process for growing grapes. We have soil that has so much clay I ought to be doing pottery.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Just throwing it out there: you don't have to pressure cook beans. An overnight soak and then a simmer in tasty seasoning, followed by a baking dish to me has a superior, non mushy texture.

My favorite baked beans recipe finishes with baked thin sliced salt pork that gets crispy rendering the salty goodness into the sauce. I only make it for big parties because 1 lb of dried beans makes a stupid amount of food.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
I have a habit of thinking about making something with beans, buying them, coming home, finding out I already had them....

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
One of my favorite salad amendments is to use the shredding blade of my food processor, shred up some beets, then make a spicy fridge pickle and toss a handful onto s bowl of leaves. I am lazy too, and make a standard red wine vinegarsalt brine and just add a tsp of one of the hot sauces in my fridge. Feta and beets and olives. Can do similar with carrots, too. Jam it all into a pint canning jar and give it a day or so to work it's magic.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib

The Midniter posted:

Costco, actually. The rotisserie chickens are a big loss leader.

Yup.
Go in for a chicken end up with a 1 gallon canister of Jelly Belly's. No regrets.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
There is a lentil salad a local Ethiopian restaurant makes that is just amazing. There is *Some* spice in there I can't otherwise identify. I feel like I know a lot of different spice tastes, but it's magical and different. Unfortunately googling it is worthless since there are about as many recipes as Ethiopian foodies. I don't feel comfortable trying to schmooze the recipe. They serve it as a starter with all their dishes. I may need to go get some doro wat this week, just to have it again.

Lentil talk too - I have enjoyed trying the many different types. Growing up we just had brown. Then I met red, and discovered dal. French green are plump and nutty, and black are even stronger tasting (mostly used in Indian foods? I think the green ones are my favorite as they hold up to cooking well without coming apart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Every couple of years I take a crack at making Injera at home. I can get some somewhat lopsided ones going, but I am so bad at tending sourdough starters. It's gf, and has a lovely nutty flavor. My homemade gf bread I sub in a half cup of teff flour to make it more... Rye-ish? Injera starter not maintained gets foul!

Watching YouTube videos of people making it in quantity I feel so incompetent!