Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie

Nobody Interesting posted:

Also the game got taken down becuase the rainbow: chat command was CTDing people.

Runescape might be the funniest game I play. I was wondering what was going on. Genuinely funny stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

I get extremely unlucky with hits on some runs and it takes way longer than it should as a result. On the other hand I also get VERY lucky sometimes (2:20 best time right now).

Also the game got taken down becuase the rainbow: chat command was CTDing people.

What's your load out? I'm using a fang and getting like, 1:50 to 2:10 right now? Are you doing any Woox walking? (even baby easy versions)

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

Studio posted:

What's your load out? I'm using a fang and getting like, 1:50 to 2:10 right now? Are you doing any Woox walking? (even baby easy versions)

Dragon crossbow with enchanted ruby dragon bolts (swapping to diamond when Vork's around 300hp). Elite void w/ salve amulet (ei) and blessed boots. Not woox walking right now because the crossbow is too slow for it.

I know the load out can improve - especially with a serpentine helm and blowpipe - but they're still just a little too expensive for me at the moment. Might see if I can get some more Zulrah kills and hopefully the bits for those things from there - right now I only have the one kill needed for elite void.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
for reasons completely inexplicable to me, i've gotten back into osrs again

the rocky pet, it still eludes me..,

also goddammit sailing won the poll. im not against it, but I thought shamanism and taming both would've been cooler.

...i'll take it if it means we can have more questlines about alcoholic zombie pirate unions though, and just more pirates in general

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I had been playing Melvor Idle which is like, the greatest advertisement for RuneScape ever. So I'm giving OSRS another shot. Made a new character to reaquaint myself with the game. You know I'm milling flour and milking cows for the Duke's birthday!

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

100 degrees Calcium posted:

I had been playing Melvor Idle which is like, the greatest advertisement for RuneScape ever. So I'm giving OSRS another shot. Made a new character to reaquaint myself with the game. You know I'm milling flour and milking cows for the Duke's birthday!

Shell out for a bond if you can, the new player experience as a member is quite different to f2p and might help you get a better idea of whether you want to keep going or not!

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Noted. I'm the kind of person who is inclined to subscribe pretty quick so I'll probably do so tonight.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

today i played runescape the way god intended: i plonked my character down somewhere where I only needed to click once every few minutes to stay logged in, and then proceeded to completely ignore my client while playing majora's mask

in related news, i've finally gotten 80 defense

inchworm
Jun 23, 2023
yea i spend a majority of my time on osrs doing other things while my character plods away at afk-friendly skills, im probably going to hit 99 woodcutting today

then stop because i dont see a point going past 99 in anything, completely ruining the 2nd half of the forestry update for me :)

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

first tried last summer and gave up, gave it a shot last night and yikes

:stare:

Nobody Interesting fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jul 24, 2023

MerrMan
Aug 3, 2003

first tried last summer and gave up, gave it a shot last night and yikes

:stare:

Not even close baby / never didn't have it / etc.

First Jad kill feels so good. Getting the Fire Cape is really great since you can throw it on with basically anything. Is it still a blowpipe jam?

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

I didn't use a blowpipe because I just don't quite have the capital for one or patience to get through more zulrah. I did have some people telling me it would have been waaay easier with the pipe though, so maybe for a second go I'll see about taking the gp hit.

Chunderstorm
May 9, 2010

legs crossed like a buddhist
smokin' buddha
angry tuna
picked osrs up and bought a bond to play for the foreseeable future. glad there's still a community here.

i am the creator of this graphic (and i am the goon on the left) and am delighted to see it is still in use

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

I didn't use a blowpipe because I just don't quite have the capital for one or patience to get through more zulrah. I did have some people telling me it would have been waaay easier with the pipe though, so maybe for a second go I'll see about taking the gp hit.

it's probably the best ~3 mil you can spend, just need to make sure you're making money when you use it.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

recently got back into runescape using my old account. excited for the necromancy update, but i'm mostly getting some stuff done so i can do desert treasure right now.

Baron of Bad News
Aug 4, 2009

Chunderstorm posted:

picked osrs up and bought a bond to play for the foreseeable future. glad there's still a community here.

i am the creator of this graphic (and i am the goon on the left) and am delighted to see it is still in use

Truly one of the best banner ads on this site.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

New quest is good and I ain't even a quarter of the way through.

It's really cool to see all these environmental clues that have been pottered around the game world for 20+ years be threaded together. Someone at Jagex had a LOT of fun writing this and I'm very happy for them.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
Neither game will ever escape Sliske

Baron of Bad News
Aug 4, 2009

Sliske Piss-kin.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

So after banging my head against the DT2 bosses to little avail, I decided that I needed better magic to out-dps the bastards. To that end, I'm not playing Monkey Madness 2 to unlock the "actually good magic exp" area.

Who the gently caress thought this quest was a good idea. I'd rather play Mourning's End Part II twice than deal with this poo poo. gently caress, I'd rather do RATCATCHERS again!!

edit: im now at the very end of the quest and i've recruited nieve to... stand around looking intimidating, i guess. her AI bugs out and she never actually fights the monkeys in the cavern. Great work, team. Gold star for effort.

Blaziken386 fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jul 27, 2023

MerrMan
Aug 3, 2003

Blaziken386 posted:

So after banging my head against the DT2 bosses to little avail, I decided that I needed better magic to out-dps the bastards. To that end, I'm not playing Monkey Madness 2 to unlock the "actually good magic exp" area.

Who the gently caress thought this quest was a good idea. I'd rather play Mourning's End Part II twice than deal with this poo poo. gently caress, I'd rather do RATCATCHERS again!!

edit: im now at the very end of the quest and i've recruited nieve to... stand around looking intimidating, i guess. her AI bugs out and she never actually fights the monkeys in the cavern. Great work, team. Gold star for effort.

MM2 is ... rough. I remember getting very lucky against Glough and it was still incredibly frustrating.

I finished the quest but still haven't really felt in a financial position to justify maniacal monkeys. I just burst Dust Devils and Nechs whenever the task comes up - it's always a nice bag of magic XP and tends to be slightly profitable.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

I liked monkey madness 2 a lot. Glough is a bit jank, but the maze and platform are both pretty good.

DT2 blows all the other quests out of the water though. Every path is really good, but Lassar is the coolest section in the game.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

MerrMan posted:

MM2 is ... rough. I remember getting very lucky against Glough and it was still incredibly frustrating.

I finished the quest but still haven't really felt in a financial position to justify maniacal monkeys. I just burst Dust Devils and Nechs whenever the task comes up - it's always a nice bag of magic XP and tends to be slightly profitable.

Saagonsa posted:

I liked monkey madness 2 a lot. Glough is a bit jank, but the maze and platform are both pretty good.
Glough was the easiest part of the quest for me because his AI was made in 2013 and you can safespot two of his three phases and the third one you can get him stuck in a loop where he does the low-damage teleport attack.

My problems were, in order:
-Kruk's maze is entirely trial and error, there's absolutely no indication a path is wrong BEFORE you fail it, and the checkpoints are few and far between
-The cave where you make the new greegree is also Way Too Goddamn Long. Yes I know this was a problem in MM1, but that doesn't make it better.
-You have to start the platform from the beginning if you gently caress up at all, and runescape is really not made for stealth sections. Also, the spots immediately next to some of the ladders aren't safespots, so sometimes you go down a floor at the wrong time and get spotted by a guard that you had no way of knowing about. This happened to me twice and it was infuriating.
-Nieve's AI was also made in 2013, and she will just stand there in the caves and watch you die. I understand her not attacking in the stronghold, because that's single combat, but she didn't even help during the final fight.

it's just an all around tedious and irritating quest, which is a shame, because in theory, Monkey Gear Solid should be on the same level of comedy as the Penguin questline. I should be able to distract guards by strategically placed bananas or something.

Pros of the quest:
-Unlocks the best magic/ranged training spot in the entire game
-You get a cosmetic monkey to wear on your back.

Saagonsa posted:

DT2 blows all the other quests out of the water though. Every path is really good, but Lassar is the coolest section in the game.
Oh yeah Lassar loving rules and I love it. The boss is an rear end in a top hat, but I'm getting close to killing her!!

Yes this was after the 100hp self heal, why do you ask :shepicide:

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Double post because this is completely unrelated:

you know what would be a cool perk of sailing that wouldn't drastically affect the game, but would still be a nice QoL?

being able to sail to any of the ports in the game yourself (with the exception of entrana, because of the weapons thing)

you can already basically do that with the charter ships and the various docks around the game, but you have to carry a handful of coins for them. being able to teleport to your ship and then sail anywhere you've been would be nice. It wouldn't add much, but it would be immersive!!!

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

Blaziken386 posted:

Double post because this is completely unrelated:

you know what would be a cool perk of sailing that wouldn't drastically affect the game, but would still be a nice QoL?

being able to sail to any of the ports in the game yourself (with the exception of entrana, because of the weapons thing)

you can already basically do that with the charter ships and the various docks around the game, but you have to carry a handful of coins for them. being able to teleport to your ship and then sail anywhere you've been would be nice. It wouldn't add much, but it would be immersive!!!

It's heavily implied in the last two updates that that is how it's gonna work. You won't be able to get close to Crandor because Elvarg will rain fire down on you, or Ape Atoll because of the monkey archers, so the implication really is that the waters are gonna be open for you, and that'd involve being able to go from port to port. Quests obviously stop the Elvarg and monkey stuff.

Teleporting your ship I guess wouldn't happen though? Charter ships make sense keeping around as the 'teleport' option if you can't actually teleport your own ship. Maybe there could be a 'fast travel' system though where it can take 'time' to get from A to B without actually having to manually navigate the ship, and perhaps things could happen while you're on the way, like the overview map in Fallout?

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

Blaziken386 posted:

-Kruk's maze is entirely trial and error, there's absolutely no indication a path is wrong BEFORE you fail it, and the checkpoints are few and far between

USE TILE MARKER AS YOU GO OH MY GOD!!

Seriously this will save your rear end if you do decide to use the place for bursting or something. Or god forbid MM3 makes us go through there.

Blaziken386 posted:

Oh yeah Lassar loving rules and I love it. The boss is an rear end in a top hat, but I'm getting close to killing her!!

Yes this was after the 100hp self heal, why do you ask :shepicide:

Lassar loving owns. I keep losing to this boss at exactly the same point too.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

neat bundle for fairly cheap

https://www.humblebundle.com/games/runescape-paths-to-adventure-the-return-bundle

gives 1 month of membership, 35 keys, 5 umbral chests, 6 protean packs, 900 runecoins and some skins for 12 bucks minimum

Johnny Joestar fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jul 29, 2023

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

USE TILE MARKER AS YOU GO OH MY GOD!!

Seriously this will save your rear end if you do decide to use the place for bursting or something. Or god forbid MM3 makes us go through there.

Lassar loving owns. I keep losing to this boss at exactly the same point too.
Yes tile markers were helpful

but you still have to guess on a 50/50 chance like 20 loving times in a row. Also, because agility sucks, you can sometimes just fail obstacles even when they're the right ones!! Do it again, stupid!!

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
The first Necromancer approaches you as you level up your Dungeoneering using a medium XP lamp.

"Adventurer... You have a great capability for learning... Unlike most mortals... Do you have stairs in your house?"

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Finished Desert Treasure 2. Desert Treasure 2 owns. My condolences to RS3 goons for not being able to play it.

anyways now i have no idea what to do next. no idea what i'll be doing until Sailing comes out

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

Got the Whisperer down, started on Duke. After the entire prep phase I got one shot.

Quest still owns.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i don't know why i find archeology so relaxing, but it's nice

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

:toot:

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Hey, I just started playing OSRS yesterday and joined the discord, should be the same name. Having a lot of fun so far but there is a lot to learn. Just following the quest guide on the wiki.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

Chunderstorm
May 9, 2010

legs crossed like a buddhist
smokin' buddha
angry tuna

goongrats!

Mercykiller
Oct 22, 2009
A wild Randomus appears, needing discord permissions.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

Sailing's happening

kaaj
Jun 23, 2013

don't stop, carry on.
I'm sure that's not even in the top 5 of the weirdest posts this week on OSRS subreddit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

kaaj posted:

I'm sure that's not even in the top 5 of the weirdest posts this week on OSRS subreddit.

within a week all the top content creators have videos up on the "NEW BEST MINING XP/HR AFK TRAINING METHOD" where they will advise their fanbase to cut off their own toes inbetween manscaped advertisements