Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
im at level 52 in japan at chapter 10.

also the weapon brand that increases debuff chance is extremely powerful on characters with debuffs on their weapon. also helps that nut stomping skill big time to almost always get the def debuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

The nutstomp carries real hard

Socratic Moron posted:

We now have a Gator 6x4 to play with on the land :cool:

I was VERY impressed by it and the price turned out to be fantastic. And Rebekah looked super sexy driving it :D

We take delivery of it by Tuesday. Yay!

Socratic Moron posted:

I've been rather quiet lately due to the fact that I've been bummed out. On July 1st, the 6x4 Gator and a shitload of tools were stolen from the land. The tools didn't surprise me all that much because Hawaii has one of the highest theft rates in the country, the big island is the highest of all the islands, and the Puna district (the one we're in) has the highest theft rate on the big island.

Socratic Moron posted:

We need the collective brainpower of you all for this one. We're installing a gate.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
couldnt figure out why my guys were taking so much damage and its because i forgot to equip their armor after moving it over when switching locales

i went through almost all of chapter 12 like this lmao

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

i don't know how i'm ever going to finish this game, lmao. i'm STILL finding new aloha links, clearing substories, finding new stuff to do on dondoko island, trying to figure out sicko snap and crazy delivery, etc. i'm definitely starting to be over-leveled, so after i clear the substories i'll try to just do the main story until i finally get access to japan.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
fyi if you're like me and you are at the end of the game with millions of dollars and need to level up your bond, the devils and dolls strip club is probably the fastest way to do it

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

American McGay posted:

Lol I never actually went to the “cabaret” club in Hawaii. Don’t know what I expected but yeah, that makes sense.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
last game i would just spam meals

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

i don't know why i didn't see that kiryu's section would have its own personality completion list from a mile away but now that i have a full party with him, all the jobs, and a map full of dudes my level and above, this game has taken off yet again. desperate to get those bonds up so i can start relying on combo attacks again, lol.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

i still mostly feel like i'm just slowly spending down the money i got from dondoko, though, so i guess i better level up more so i can earn some fat stacks of cash. the only point exchange i've been able to get the good weapon from is shogi so far, lol. there's no cheat item this time but it turns out the first couple of opponents are actually easy enough and will cover what you don't get from puzzle shogi.

did they tilt mahjong in your favor in this one or did i just get a really lucky game? karaoke definitely got way easier even from gaiden and it isn't a skill thing, the hard songs usually take me a couple of tries and i haven't scored below like a 94. they seem to let you have 2 - 3 slip ups without really dinging you that much.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Bicyclops posted:

i still mostly feel like i'm just slowly spending down the money i got from dondoko, though, so i guess i better level up more so i can earn some fat stacks of cash. the only point exchange i've been able to get the good weapon from is shogi so far, lol. there's no cheat item this time but it turns out the first couple of opponents are actually easy enough and will cover what you don't get from puzzle shogi.

did they tilt mahjong in your favor in this one or did i just get a really lucky game? karaoke definitely got way easier even from gaiden and it isn't a skill thing, the hard songs usually take me a couple of tries and i haven't scored below like a 94. they seem to let you have 2 - 3 slip ups without really dinging you that much.

I had really bad luck with Mahjong in this one so think you were just lucky.

The Royal Cup in the chapter you're in is decent for money, unfortunately the best way to earn it by far is just to play another couple of chapters and then do random/dungeon battles (using the housekeeper move that steals money in big fights). It makes so much money as to make everything else basically irrelevant, which is kind of boring to be honest

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I had really bad luck with Mahjong in this one so think you were just lucky.

The Royal Cup in the chapter you're in is decent for money, unfortunately the best way to earn it by far is just to play another couple of chapters and then do random/dungeon battles (using the housekeeper move that steals money in big fights). It makes so much money as to make everything else basically irrelevant, which is kind of boring to be honest

i wish less of the game was about dungeon runs in both 7 and 8. they're fine to do a couple of times but i prefer the street combats because they're on the way to doing other stuff. oh well.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
the playlist is pretty much made for the dungeons. blast some karaoke tracks

ty sub-actuality for av & the kins for sig

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Bicyclops posted:

i wish less of the game was about dungeon runs in both 7 and 8. they're fine to do a couple of times but i prefer the street combats because they're on the way to doing other stuff. oh well.

They're a lot better in this than they were in 7 imo but I still can't help but feel like stuff like this, gathering crafting resources etc isn't really the route I would have taken for Yakuza lol

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
You really only need to run through both dungeons once fully to be properly/over leveled for most of the endgame. I’d say they’re much less of a requirement, especially now with the unique elite mobs that show up in the open world.

IF there were some sort of hyper endgame goal like the True Final Millennium Tower in 7 then yeah you’d probably end up spending about 30 hours in the same boring dungeons, but there’s nothing like that in the game.

----------------

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
The dungeons definitely seem like the place to go for xp, cash, every crafting material except for cough drop tins, and you can stock up on stuff like wizard hats. I appreciate the greatly simplified crafting (no more silver insects!) but I want to kill whoever decided you should only be able to exchange fragments/geodes one at a time.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

welcome posted:

The dungeons definitely seem like the place to go for xp, cash, every crafting material except for cough drop tins, and you can stock up on stuff like wizard hats. I appreciate the greatly simplified crafting (no more silver insects!) but I want to kill whoever decided you should only be able to exchange fragments/geodes one at a time.

Christ yeah that's unbelievable lol

Agreed that it's all much improved in this game and added stuff like the elite mobs in the world is exactly what they needed. Hunting for beetles was horrible

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
WAIT YOU CAN EXCHANGE FRAGMENTS AND GEODES?!?!

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

WAIT YOU CAN EXCHANGE FRAGMENTS AND GEODES?!?!

Yeah, there's a shop on a raft in Honolulu and a shop at the northeast edge of Yokohama (van in the park, same one that sold materials in 7). You can exchange 10 fragments for a geode/10 geodes for a crystal, one at a time.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
Huh, that would have been great to know 3000 hours ago.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
There's also a shop where you can buy poop that I found exactly once and immediately forgot the location of.

----------------

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

American McGay posted:

There's also a shop where you can buy poop that I found exactly once and immediately forgot the location of.

Your house.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

IGgy IGsen posted:

Huh, that would have been great to know 3000 hours ago.

yeah no poo poo, i just got to the finale chapter.

i was grinding hard for rainbow crystals.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

welcome posted:

on that note i wish it were easier to upgrade weapons several levels at a time. unless i'm just being stupid, so far the only way that i've found is to use materials until it's almost at the next level, and then use one more to put it over the top?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

on that note i wish it were easier to upgrade weapons several levels at a time. unless i'm just being stupid, so far the only way that i've found is to use materials until it's almost at the next level, and then use one more to put it over the top?

Try holding down the right button

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
i beat it, and i love the gamemasteranthony ending.

so glad i could keep up on this one and finish it within a month or 2 of release.

possibly my goty unless maybe dragons dogma 2 is spectacular.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

welcome posted:

Yeah, there's a shop on a raft in Honolulu and a shop at the northeast edge of Yokohama (van in the park, same one that sold materials in 7). You can exchange 10 fragments for a geode/10 geodes for a crystal, one at a time.

do you mean one type at a time? because otherwise

Arrhythmia posted:

Try holding down the right button

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pe1xARB_Qms

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I love the chapter 8 level spike because all of a sudden half my combats last like 20 minutes and everybody gets like 2 - 5 job levels, lol. there was one in Chinatown where the guys kept calling for help that I only survived by the skin of my teeth. I've cleared the map of bucket list and walk and talks, so I'm going to tag over the kamurocho and see how many of those I can clear before advancing the plot

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

also I feel like burning arrow was meant to deal like half the damage it does and they just said "gently caress it" and let it be overpowered, lol. it also deals double damage to an enormous amount of the bad dudes. I haven't gotten the point others have where the nutstomp is OP, but the dynamite ability, kunoichi scatter flowers or whatever it's called and ice bucket have all held their own. it also feels easier to get healing in this game, so I don't have to lean on magical song as much.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Bicyclops posted:

also I feel like burning arrow was meant to deal like half the damage it does and they just said "gently caress it" and let it be overpowered, lol. it also deals double damage to an enormous amount of the bad dudes. I haven't gotten the point others have where the nutstomp is OP, but the dynamite ability, kunoichi scatter flowers or whatever it's called and ice bucket have all held their own. it also feels easier to get healing in this game, so I don't have to lean on magical song as much.

Burning Arrow is absolutely absurd lol, it definitely is not meant to do that much damage. I think all my guys have it

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
yeah, and since it comes with samurai level 1, as long as you have the bond requirement to make a male character a samurai, do it ASAP.

you can never have too much AOE fire damage.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Finished the game... that was a good one. I found a lot of the writing frustrating but will need to sleep on it before putting my thoughts together. For all that, there were absolutely top tier character moments throughout

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I really liked this game, easily in the top... 5 RGG games off the top of my head. The gameplay fixes almost every issue I had with 7 and the combat is so much more lively, dynamic and "Yakuza" just with a few small additions, even though in the endgame it just becomes spamming your area attack essence moves (but I guess most JRPGs do this) and it's overall way too easy.

I don't know what the gently caress went on with the story though. It feels like it had at least two or three complete overhauls and the end result makes hardly any sense.

I just did not care about the Hawaii stuff or Bryce at all. That's one thing, Yakuza games having a not great final boss isn't anything new, but it's part of a bigger issue where I feel like Ichi is a side character in his own game. He had a lot of great character growth in 7 and in this one he's just the bumbling zany guy 24/7, and he doesn't really do anything all game apart from wandering around wondering where Akane/Lani is until something happens to him. The ending with Eiji is... weird, it definitely feels like some stuff was cut with him that might have made it feel a bit more earned. He basically disappears from the game after betraying the party and now he's suddenly in a rundown apartment in Japan? I don't mind Ichi giving him the whole speech about trust and friendship, that's Ichi, but why does it work? The guy was literally never friends with Ichi, he was manipulating him from before he met him. There's a lot of weird stuff like that, like Joongi just joining half an hour from the finale and Chitose just not being at the ending party for some reason, that feels like a mess. Can't wait to meet the fourth sibling, Solidus Arakawa in LAD9 as he tries to stop the Third Great Dissolution.

By and large I liked Kiryu's story, but it's not an ending. I don't think they should have killed him and I don't mind them leaving some open threads - like why he's been allowed to regain his name now, which is jarring after the final life link - but it doesn't close off anything at all.

He's weakened, sure, and I hope that means we're done with him as a protagonist, but honestly this is like the fifth time Kiryu has had his last stand and has been seen in recovery. Unfortunately I don't know if I trust RGG to now keep milking the Kiryu cow, and they've left him in a position where they could easily say in a few years that yeah, chemo wrecked his body but he's had the all clear from cancer and can start recovery, so he's level 1 and joining your party again lol. I really hope they don't.

Again though a lot of stuff in the Kiryu story makes no loving sense. His revelation that he probably got cancer from working in radioactive waste disposal was goofy, but when that became part of the plot I was waiting for a reveal that he was working in Ebina's facility and it just... never came. I guess you can infer it but it's still an assumption, why not make it clear? And a lot of the later life links and plot points in general make no sense because there's literally been a video from the vtuber about how Kiryu is alive. All of these people should have seen it. Are you telling me Haruka has somehow missed the viral video with live footage of her clearly alive dad? And it's not like you can play these life links before that happens in the story because the video is mentioned in one of them... then they forget about it again. Honestly I feel like since 7 it's been getting less and less credible to believe anyone thinks he's dead, the man stepped up at the famous Great Dissolution to beat everyone up. The game even jokes about it a lot in the dragon memories, but then when they need drama, the relevant character is a complete moron who apparently doesn't pay any attention. It was great that they remembered Sayama exists, but why on earth doesn't she know he's alive lol. I don't know if the Daidoji are a crumbling shadow of their former self or this omnipresent Illuminati, one scene were saying yeah they're weak now, the next they literally know if Kiryu has opened a closed door in a tiny bar corridor or not. It's all just weird and unfortunately it does kind of undermine the actual good parts of the story, the emotional core of Kiryu's journey towards accepting life.

They've kicked the can down the road on having Kiryu properly pass the torch to Ichi again after like three games of trust me bro I'll give you the torch tomorrow for real, I just have one thing left to do. IW just felt like the middle instalment in a trilogy and I wish I had more confidence in them to stick the landing.

Sorry for the long Games rant, I really like the game and the character moments scene by scene are genuinely fantastic so I found a lot of this stuff much more annoying than I would if it was just a typical mid plot lol. They've been on a run of great stories - 6, 7, Gaiden, Judgment - and this felt Yakuza 5 levels of sloppy which really fucks with the emotional beats and character moments that have always been the series' strong point. Especially after 7 it's disappointing.

Lunchmeat Larry fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Mar 11, 2024

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

lmfao all of the kiryu memory moments own, even if a lot of them are cheap jokes like RGG never figuring out what to do with that one corner of kamurocho, that there are tons of bars in campion that he never gets to visit, etc.. one of my favorites is the one where he thinks about how cake and coffee go together and immediately makes the bizarre leap to "it's kind of like how Date and helicopters are the perfect pairing.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Bicyclops posted:

lmfao all of the kiryu memory moments own, even if a lot of them are cheap jokes like RGG never figuring out what to do with that one corner of kamurocho, that there are tons of bars in campion that he never gets to visit, etc.. one of my favorites is the one where he thinks about how cake and coffee go together and immediately makes the bizarre leap to "it's kind of like how Date and helicopters are the perfect pairing.

There's one in Ijincho about Saejima and the ocean that genuinely made me burst out laughing

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
reminiscing that there's one building he's literally never been in was good

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
My biggest problem with the game was the terrible pacing. It felt like they knew that the story was a mess with how much the game actively pushed side content all game long. I think I literally spent 20 out of 80 hours just doing Dondoko and Sujimon. You got your full party late in 7 too but at least they were all there before the Battle Arena, here you get Han in freaking chapter 13 and have to play catch up. I cannot believe that three!! loving Walk and Talks can't be finished before the final chapter, or that they make you take a taxi back to Kamurocho so Kiryu can finally remember DAIGO, then go back to Ijincho so the Daidoji can take you to. . .Kamurocho.

Also disappointed about Kasuga taking a backseat to Kiryu's fourth farewell tour. Hopefully Kiryu takes Date-san's advice to heart and goes to live out the rest of his days at Morning Glory, hell maybe he'll get to stay there now that Tojo HQ has burned down. I won't hold my breath though.

Also weird that they're just not localizing poo poo now? None of text on signs or peoples phones had subtitles, and the very first substory is a lady who tells you to check out her podcast as part of a tutorial on the phone playlist - and the podcast is Japanese only. Thanks?

That said everything else about the game kicked rear end. I obviously didn't mind wasting hours on side stuff, combat is much improved even with just the MP regen let alone everything else that was added, and all the character interactions/links are great. I'm even kind of glad I had to change the time in the finale because otherwise I never would have seen the eyedrops chat. I guess I should finish Ishin now...

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
Also super glad they're still on top of their game with Kasuga's boss intros, actually LOLed at this one considering what went before it (finale spoiler do not click!!!)

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
The cinematic battle stuff is so loving good which makes the final bosses being 2 unworthy turds even more disappointing. The first Dwight and last Yamai fights ftw though.

----------------

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

There's one in Ijincho about Saejima and the ocean that genuinely made me burst out laughing

i also love that the one about tanimura basically just says "oh yeah, i never caught up with that guy and nobody seems to know how to get in touch with him? lots of regrets there."

while we're doing :words: complaints about the lore or w/e, i'm still in chapter 8 so not reading spoilers yet, but i can tell the story is a mess already. the cult leader guy in hawaii, apart from apparently being a bullet-stopping wizard who's lives in elf years and somehow speaks the worst english in the game is a bad villain that somehow stretches credibility more than kasuga casually riding a dolphin to his five star resort island or his crawfish having a romance. like it's not a great sign when the story involving the diaper fetish yakuza and a random old couple tugs at the heartstrings more than kasuga's search for his birth mother, lol. like the whole underground duplicate mall that makes perfect knock-offs is also completely unbelievable, but i'm onboard with that one because it just creates a great set piece of cool combats, kind of like all the various purgatory clones the series has had. nobody believes the Castle is real, but it's fine. the cult leader guy is just... some kind of brainwashing mindflayer dude who secretly owns the hawaiian government, but will probably disappear in favor of a different villain in like chapter 10? he just sucks tbh. total dud no matter what language he's speaking yamai is cool but he rarely seems to have a reason to be there other than to sort of fill a majima-shaped hole.

the only way i can see the kiryu thing ending properly is if he gets released from the daidoji and goes to live out his dying years with haruka somehow, and i don't get the feeling like that's where they're going with it. it also feels a little awkward sometimes, like that half of his kamurocho memories are in the other city for some reason, or that they put you right outside stardust to make kiryu think of the stardust bros, but then he can't even covertly go in to check on them. the constant encounters with people who should be dead (kashiwagi, the secret weapons guy, the shooreh pippi cult guy) where kiryu has to say "you must be mistaken, we've never met" ;) is getting old. i think at the end of the day if kiryu was going to be in 3 more games and be engaged in pretty active nostalgia in two of them, that the ending in 6 was a mistake, although to be honest i thought that it was even if that was when they were actually going to retire kiryu. this series doesn't need mysteries or ambiguous endings, it's loaded with substories of people finding closure and moving on with their lives, and the main plots are all about people having some kind of a catharsis by punching each other to exhaustion. just let the man go back to the orphanage and actually retire with his grandson. maybe they can even have ichiban visit him there in the middle of 9 for a second and consult him like the absent elder statesman that he should be.

the setting was great for a change of pace, a fresh new map, lots of side activities and increasing the "your protagonist is a food tour guide" thing, but it's downright nonsensical story-wise. it was bad enough that basically everyone from kamurocho has been slowly moving to Isezaki Ijincho so they could reuse characters on the new map, but now they're all suddenly in america, lmao. also that everyone in hawaii apparently speaks japanese would be a minor thing except that they make a big deal about how kasuga doesn't speak the language sometimes.