Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

trying to jack off posted:

at most i remember this https://boingboing.net/2010/08/10/yakuza-3-review.html but i think theres a reason there arent pictures lol

The reason is that this article was made up, I’m afraid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Dongicus posted:

7 is pretty incredible so far. closest feels i've got to when i played 0 for the first time

Yeah this is definitely one of the best Yakuza games. I can't tell if I place it above 0 or not yet

Because stuff like this reminds me how good 0 was

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

started yakuza 5 a few days ago, the taxi missions own

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

The best song in Y0 is Friday Night

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

judgement is a good song as well

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Neurotic Roleplay posted:

judgement is a good song as well

I like that the OST includes both Kiryu and Nishki versions.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I kinda want to move onto Kiwami but I should probably do some more sidequests and stuff first

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Neurotic Roleplay posted:

started yakuza 5 a few days ago, the taxi missions own

5 rules, it's probably my favorite after 0. it has some of the best substories in the series.

i just started 7 a couple of days ago, it's great so far. it's cool seeing all these features they added in yakuza 6 and judgment in the form of a jrpg. it all seems very intentional, the 'hanging out in a bar and making friends' minigame from yakuza 6 and kiwami 2 comes back as a core team building mechanic with your party and it all makes perfect sense, like it was all scaffolding for yakuza 7.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
i'm not even done with the first majima section of Y0 but I feel like i have been playing for 100 hours

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

5 is such an insane game, when I beat the main story my save file was just a few minutes over 90 hours and I still only had 30% completion.

It’s definitely one of the best in the series, I think I prefer 0 and 6 but 5 is still an absolute blast. The Haruka section where the fights are replaced with rhythm game dance battles was maybe the most fun I’ve had with the series so far

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Hell yes

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I went bowling and all my equipment turned into sushi or beer. I was wearing a Draft Beer as armor/shirt. Turns out this is a bug when the game doesn't save properly so resaving fixed it instantly. Was freaked out tho.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Anybody know where I can get Majima's tattoos? I'm moving to Japan soon and I want to fit in

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

I went bowling and all my equipment turned into sushi or beer. I was wearing a Draft Beer as armor/shirt. Turns out this is a bug when the game doesn't save properly so resaving fixed it instantly. Was freaked out tho.
This is amazing

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

I wanna be your left hand man

Nostradingus posted:

Anybody know where I can get Majima's tattoos? I'm moving to Japan soon and I want to fit in

This has probably been posted genuinely.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

started yakuza 3 and i'm enjoying it a lot so far. it seems a lot more laid back than kiwami 2 and i like that the stakes seem like kiryu's trying not to lose his home and family. thats a good twist on the formula

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Yakuza 3 is unfairly maligned a lot. It’s not the series high point or anything but I liked the vibe and I remember being super excited to get it on PS3 when it originally came over here against all odds. There was a time when whether or not we’d get the next entry in the series translated was a huge question mark.

The enemies that block too much are a little annoying but it’s still got everything you love about the series and some really good plot beats. I think I prefer it to 4’s ultra convoluted plot and single location.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah 3 is great. I loved Okinawa and it has some of the best emotional beats in the series with Kiryu’s relationship with the kids and the Ryudo family. I always wished the series would go back to Okinawa, but I guess the Nagasaki setting in 6 was pretty close

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Lmfao

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

man nurse posted:

Yakuza 3 is unfairly maligned a lot. It’s not the series high point or anything but I liked the vibe and I remember being super excited to get it on PS3 when it originally came over here against all odds. There was a time when whether or not we’d get the next entry in the series translated was a huge question mark.

The enemies that block too much are a little annoying but it’s still got everything you love about the series and some really good plot beats. I think I prefer it to 4’s ultra convoluted plot and single location.

yeah three is great. the okinawa orphanage stuff really works well. like the combat feels primitive compared to modern yakuza games, but playing it right after the ps2 games is pretty amazing, like its wild to not have a fixed camera any longer. and 3 feels miles ahead of 4, which just kinda feels scattershot compared to the cohesion of 3 and even 5 to a certain extent.

Brass Hand
Feb 27, 2020
In started off liking Like a Dragon simply because it is more Yakuza but now I love it because there are some good gags at every turn and it’s all a bit daft.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I grew kinda tired of Ichiban's "lovable idiot" routine about halfway through but he absolutely pulls it together in the end. His performance in the final chapter is so good.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

lol

Brass Hand
Feb 27, 2020

American McGay posted:

I grew kinda tired of Ichiban's "lovable idiot" routine about halfway through but he absolutely pulls it together in the end. His performance in the final chapter is so good.

Yeah I’m in chapter 7 now and too many situations have been diffused by a “you’re a good egg, Ichiban! You won’t take no for an answer will you haha!”

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

I loving Love Yakuza

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Just finished Yakuza 7. It's incredible. I was right in comparing it to 0, GOTY.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

The Yakuza games ftw

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Hmm 7 might be the best one. I still really love 4 and 5 but wow

Twin Infinitives
Sep 15, 2017

groot shit
Just finished Yakuza Kiwami! My first Yakuza, and I really enjoyed it. Think I'm gonna move onto 0 next, then Kiwami 2, considering the engine change.
I can't believe they just leave that puppy in the middle of the loving street. Lmfao.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
If Kiwami was your first experience with Yakuza then you've got nowhere to go but up. You're in for a treat.

CountryMatters
Apr 8, 2009

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
Just finished Yakuza 7 and loved it. Anyone tried the spinoff "Judgement"? Would that be worth picking up? I've played 0/kiwami1/kiwami2/6 so I am looking to further shores to get more of my fix

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Judgement is pretty solid, yeah.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Twin Infinitives posted:

Just finished Yakuza Kiwami! My first Yakuza, and I really enjoyed it. Think I'm gonna move onto 0 next, then Kiwami 2, considering the engine change.
I can't believe they just leave that puppy in the middle of the loving street. Lmfao.

Why would you start with that game and not zero? Shits gonna be wild going back in time to a much better game.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

CountryMatters posted:

Just finished Yakuza 7 and loved it. Anyone tried the spinoff "Judgement"? Would that be worth picking up? I've played 0/kiwami1/kiwami2/6 so I am looking to further shores to get more of my fix

It's up there with 0 and Kiwami 2

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah it’s really good. Good main story and characters, a lot of great side quests, has the 6/Kiwami 2 combat engine but with multiple styles, and the Phoenix Wright stuff meshes with Yakuza a lot better than you’d expect. I’d like to see a sequel some day

Brass Hand
Feb 27, 2020
It really bugs me that Kaito introduces himself on FaceTime calls with Yagami. If you can get past this then Judgment is pretty good.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

CountryMatters posted:

judgment is probably my favorite of the ones i've played [and finished i haven't finished 7 yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Does Judgement have the song Judgement in it?