Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Speleothing posted:

2500 gold in the treasury and you didn't even put one point of PD into the thrones

Real power move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

Araganzar posted:

That was some good trick.

I appreciate the sacrifice you made in posting this because no player who reads this will ever leave you alone with your books and lightless lanterns again.

The strongest meta is to run an LP in which you are absolutely incompetent

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Rad. Don't forget to get it on the archive.

FilthIncarnate
Aug 13, 2007

Weird owl has life all figured out

habituallyred posted:

Rad. Don't forget to get it on the archive.

idk how to do this

Nice piece of fish posted:

This was a great read.

i'm glad you enjoyed it :)

PurpleXVI posted:

Thanks for the LP! I think the only thing I could say is if you do another, downsize your screenshots a bit.

i started with them as thumbnails but jsoh complained

so this is what you get

Tulip posted:

that was very cool I liked the brusque lp style I know you said it's probably you're only time doing this but I'd be very happy if you did more

hmmm!

you know what?

i'll think about it

Araganzar posted:

That was some good trick.

I appreciate the sacrifice you made in posting this because no player who reads this will ever leave you alone with your books and lightless lanterns again.

look, i'll be real: i've been playing continuously for five years and right now i'm floating slightly above a 50% career win rate.

so honestly at this point i'd welcome the challenge.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

FilthIncarnate posted:

look, i'll be real: i've been playing continuously for five years and right now i'm floating slightly above a 50% career win rate.

I do feel like since we started the podcast thing players have been less inclined to let me get away with my most egregious bullshit at least.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Ramc posted:

I do feel like since we started the podcast thing players have been less inclined to let me get away with my most egregious bullshit at least.

A Dominions podcast?

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Speleothing posted:

A Dominions podcast?

The number one rated dominions podcast of all time, yes.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Ramc posted:

The number one rated dominions podcast of all time, yes.

Out of a field of one, correct?

And I'm only partially joshing you, technically correct is still the best kind of correct!

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

Great read! Really appreciated the diplo chatlogs, and I'd love to hear the perspectives from the other players.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Ramc posted:

What's the podcast?

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Omnicrom posted:

Out of a field of one, correct?

And I'm only partially joshing you, technically correct is still the best kind of correct!

I'm just 'talent'. I assume we are number one out of an intensely competitive field of dominions podcasting.

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

What's the podcast?

https://illwiki.com/dom5/ruby-discourse

GrayDorian
Dec 21, 2006

who is he
This was a very entertaining read

Purplebeard
Feb 27, 2014
This has been an entertaining and enlightening read. That throne rush was truly inspired.

SavageGentleman
Feb 28, 2010

When she finds love may it always stay true.
This I beg for the second wish I made too.

Fallen Rib
Thank you for this lp!

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
This link seems to have the details of getting a thread archived : https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=153724.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
OK, now I want to see more Dominions LPs. Anyone got recommendations?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Ramc's LP was a good one. It's on the LP Archive, but the thread is still available here:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3885426

There are also two Dominions 3 LPs on the LP archive.

I'd suggest this one for buildscharacter's contributions, it's a good read.

https://lparchive.org/Dominions-3-(by-Lilli-et-al)/

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
It's good to see a Dominions play through where the person we are following won!

This was a good read, thank you.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Gort posted:

There's a whole trilogy of Newbad LPs https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3891653&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1#post495826028

this is where Purple gets a lot of his forums side reputation btw

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Purplebeard posted:

This has been an entertaining and enlightening read. That throne rush was truly inspired.

Literally divinely inspired

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

FilthIncarnate posted:

TBQH I was curious about that because the only thing I wasn't a huge fan of in the LP was the degree to which less knowledgeable players were ridiculed. I mean this is SA but the tone felt a little schadenfreudey. But now I can see how frustrating it would be to work as hard as you did in this LP and build a really nice war machine only to fight people that don't even seem to be trying. It must drive you absolutely crazy. And there's no real satisfaction in beating them. It gives you a really poor ROI for your effort.

Are there not games with ranked play where you could assume you'll face reasonably competent opponents? Or is that too small a pool of players? I'm not sure who your peers are, over 50% win rate is insane, especially when playing against people aware of your track record. Although if I were in a game with you I would probably be very disinclined at this point to attack you unless I was part of a dogpile with some very large dogs involved.

Last Transmission
Aug 10, 2011

Well, Diplomacy IS the strongest magic path in this game.

FilthIncarnate
Aug 13, 2007

Araganzar posted:

TBQH I was curious about that because the only thing I wasn't a huge fan of in the LP was the degree to which less knowledgeable players were ridiculed. I mean this is SA but the tone felt a little schadenfreudey. But now I can see how frustrating it would be to work as hard as you did in this LP and build a really nice war machine only to fight people that don't even seem to be trying. It must drive you absolutely crazy. And there's no real satisfaction in beating them. It gives you a really poor ROI for your effort.

your concerns and criticisms are both legitimate and warranted; i've basically avoided doing a let's play for the past five years because: i don't really enjoy gloating, and that's sort of what this stuff feels like.

but i ended up doing this lp (and ramc and i started the podcast) because:

when i started playing like five years ago there were still a lot of really great active players in the SA scene: nuclearmonkee's cohort. as time has gone on life has taken them on different journeys (or whatever) etc etc and suddenly i qualify as a veteran; most of the new crop are totally fresh, and the Old Ways are forgotten.

i've won as consistently as i have for as long as i have mostly by: never gloating. this worked great vs people who were much better than me but jbrereton made the point to me that it's not great for the community if i keep murdering people while keeping the mechanisms opaque.

so this is done in the spirit of public service.

certainly the process of putting together a let's play is tedious and i don't particularly care for being the center of attention, but here we are.

Araganzar posted:

Are there not games with ranked play where you could assume you'll face reasonably competent opponents? Or is that too small a pool of players? I'm not sure who your peers are, over 50% win rate is insane, especially when playing against people aware of your track record.

for better or for worse, the Ruby Discord (i.e. the SA-adjacent dominions community) is probably still home to the best dominions players in the world. other prominent communities have weird meta that seems to have been grandfathered in from like, dominions 3, or something, i.e. a decade ago.

the 50% win rate is in part due to the fact that, idiosyncratically, i only ever play in one game at a time. since the average dominions game lasts for months, idk i could try to figure it out but i've almost certainly played fewer than 20 total. definitely not 30.

and as for people being aware of my track record: the internet moves very, very fast, and dominions moves very, very slow. win one game every four months and don't make a big deal out of it? nobody knows who you are. which is handy for the next game when you're someone's neighbor and you're arranging a four-way dogpile.

Last Transmission posted:

Well, Diplomacy IS the strongest magic path in this game.

it really is.

the thing about me is, honestly? i'm not super great at the nuts and bolts of the game. there are players i can think of (in particular jsoh) who are really, really good at scripting fights, and

idk, i'm just not one of them!

but i'm very careful and diplomatic, and that sometimes pays off

the bitcoin of weed posted:

And thus the game ends with Kailasa having fought maybe one serious and competitive battle in the entire game, vs ulm on turn 20 or so. Revealing the true secret of dominions: actually fighting wars is for suckers

i went back and looked, it was on turn 30. but yes your point is taken

Omnicrom posted:

Work smarter, not harder. Remember: The goal of the game is to win, not to fight wars.

i feel like this is a bitter pill for many dominions players, since they want to do the fun fighty stuff and run units into each other

but ironically it turns out to be much better if everyone else fights each other while you quietly pursue your goals

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

FilthIncarnate posted:

but ironically it turns out to be much better if everyone else fights each other while you quietly pursue your goals

I've won two and one third games, and I can agree with this, though it largely depends on your initial expansion. If you can secure access to three or better yet four thrones before initial vs-indies expansion settles down, you're usually in a good space to turtle for a bit. Otherwise, one early war to expand your throne contact and economic base, and then for the rest of it I was largely just teching up.

In one case assaulting people as they went AI for unrelated reasons and eating up more real estate than I had the right to.

On the other I just had superb throne contact and managed to get, like Filth, some good earth attack access that make me real hard to contend with.

And in the one-third(because we were a three-man disciple team) we ate up one other disciple trio early on before settling down to mass-produce tartarians and other end-phase war machines to secure our win once things got spicy.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

FilthIncarnate posted:

i feel like this is a bitter pill for many dominions players, since they want to do the fun fighty stuff and run units into each other

Which is a shame, because the whole point of the dominions series is to answer the question posed by the developers; who would win in a fight between Jesus and Odin?

rzal
Nov 8, 2007

sullat posted:

Which is a shame, because the whole point of the dominions series is to answer the question posed by the developers; who would win in a fight between Jesus and Odin?

This is funny because they created a game wherein, with their base stats, they would both lose to a surprisingly small number of the weakest units in the game. It feels like the thesis of the game is that if we all band together quickly enough we could easily dethrone and kill God before they ruin the world with swarms of vampires and demons and wishes for Armageddon.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

rzal posted:

This is funny because they created a game wherein, with their base stats, they would both lose to a surprisingly small number of the weakest units in the game. It feels like the thesis of the game is that if we all band together quickly enough we could easily dethrone and kill God before they ruin the world with swarms of vampires and demons and wishes for Armageddon.

Vauron
Aug 7, 2016

Take your stance
I will give you one fair chance
So let's make this dance a bloody masquerade
Just remember, the fact that the struck enemy is still there means that the 999 damage failed to kill it.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
My games suffer from me wanting my enemies to learn from our fights. :v: Also, I'm really spiteful about slimy diplomacy. I'm fine with general dominions backstabbery, that's just part of the game, but, I dunno how to describe it best, if you give me a petty mastermind vibe, I will kill you on sight and won't hesitate to throw games to make sure you lose.

e: Another reason why the OP is good at winning: He focuses on winning the game. It cannot be stressed enough how important this is.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang

The history of this picture, specifically what that grey and white pattern in the background is, is probably the funniest things to come out of the old SA Dominions threads.

Hermetian
Dec 9, 2007
Something I learned from playing the board game Diplomacy is how important it is to spend a lot of time talking to everybody. Even if you just backstabbed someone, keep talking to them. Making plans with everyone is how you avoid getting dogpiled.

Thanks filth/Turtle for showing the chats; it would have looked like a totally different game otherwise.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Diplomancy is very strong in these sorts of games and since FI is doing one game at a time he can really keep his story straight and devote resources to that part of the game. It was pretty cool to see in the chatlogs parts where FI has to remind people what game he's talking about when entering diplomacy.

my dad posted:

e: Another reason why the OP is good at winning: He focuses on winning the game. It cannot be stressed enough how important this is.

Looking at this from an outside perspective, my math is that, given the number of players per game, anybody who's got a >10% win rate is kicking rear end. Which means that when you think about playing, unless you're pretty confident, you're adjusting your expectations to a <10% chance of winning. Which means "10% or so chance of winning" is now competing with "trying out some outlandish new bullshit," and boy does dominions have options for outlandish bullshit. Makes a lot more sense to just see what nonsense you can pull and worry about winning as a happy side effect.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

I am usually in 5 or so games at a time and only actively trying to win one of those, since it frees me in the rest of them to just gently caress around and summon stupid monsters and get them killed in very predictable ways

FilthIncarnate
Aug 13, 2007

Tulip posted:

Which means "10% or so chance of winning" is now competing with "trying out some outlandish new bullshit," and boy does dominions have options for outlandish bullshit. Makes a lot more sense to just see what nonsense you can pull and worry about winning as a happy side effect.

unironically, in the games that i tend to win typically i'm trying to do both.

in addition to my "one-game policy" i also have a standing rule never to repeat myself, since if i did i would basically never get to see any of the like 60+ nations dominions has to offer.

anyway when i win it's because i'm usually trying to pull off some ridiculous stunt.

like i did in this game, tbqh; kailasa is a notoriously bad nation. before that i won with luck hinnom; before that, blood bandar log.

probably my favorite thing i ever did was Lavazotz, a strategy i had been cooking for literal years. it didn't make much of a splash in the meta but i did, after much effort, find a way to make ea abysia viable.

honestly i probably should've let's played that game, if i let's played any game, but v[''.]v hindsight is 20/20

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

you can't just say you spent years cooking up a successful strategy and just drop the name without giving like, at least a paragraph explaining/gloating

(also blood bandar log, impressive, have thought about that but never committed)

FilthIncarnate
Aug 13, 2007

Tulip posted:

you can't just say you spent years cooking up a successful strategy and just drop the name without giving like, at least a paragraph explaining/gloating

guess what.......i can

and moreover?

i will :twisted:

Tulip posted:

(also blood bandar log, impressive, have thought about that but never committed)

same deal as kailasa; take the maneater with at least b4 and sprint through the early game. you'll have to empower him in air once to summon your first dakini but that + expansion is what he's for, in much the same way that in this game he was for expansion + bless + ebdw/riches.

anyway arcvasti has a thing they wanted to post and the thread is only open so they can post it.

hurry up arcvasti!!!!!

bobthenameless
Jun 20, 2005

just wanted to pop in to say i quite enjoyed this LP, thanks for doing it, was always looking forward to the updates as they happened :) it got me checking out some other LPs, and

Gort posted:

the clown LP by gonadic io was a pretty fun one i also checked out in addition to some of the others already mentioned.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

the bitcoin of weed posted:

And thus the game ends with Kailasa having fought maybe one serious and competitive battle in the entire game, vs ulm on turn 20 or so.

I'd say that's down to a combination of game setup and other players who seemed weirdly oblivious of the game setup. The game was set up so you could win by taking thrones, and then barely any players actually took any thrones.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

FilthIncarnate posted:

probably my favorite thing i ever did was Lavazotz, a strategy i had been cooking for literal years. it didn't make much of a splash in the meta but i did, after much effort, find a way to make ea abysia viable.

I would also love to hear what this was.

I just wish games still went long enough to hit late-game BS, I've always wanted to see someone dicking around with Lords of Civilization or other similar poo poo.

Great LP anyway, will mirror the feedback that images could have been smaller, sometimes pages took forever to load.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Great LP, glad I was along for the ride.

Also about FI win status.

The most important part of being a dominions veteran is having 5 people come at you with rusty knives on turn 8 in order to make sure you don't eat them first. It is the crown of coronation for all big leaguers.