Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Kobal2 posted:

Marverni has half-decent cap sacreds AND summonable ones that both have the downside of going into battle almost naked so the prot bless can justify itself beyond making King Pig more durable. Larger OTOH... well I guess it also helps the Great Boars commanders thugging it out, albeit at the cost of loving both the human sacreds and the littler piggies over.

Yeah, also on paper Sauro has both a) expensive but very good cap troops/mages that make scales attractive and b) bad magic path intensity outside of death (and nature 2) so a god that can sitesearch a decent starter income in all the paths they have only 1 on their native mages is a decent idea as it can then go back to the lab, forge a few boosters to start the mooks remote sitesearching in earnest and get a lot of different balls rolling at once. Maybe imprisoned is too late for that though, idk

Marverni Warriors of Carnutes have Pretty Good Prot for EA. And Larger is part of the standard boar swarm bless so that you don't bounce off size 3 units.

Imprisoned is 36 turns. That's halfway through the game. You're not getting your ball rolling until everyone else is mostly down the hill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Speleothing posted:

Imprisoned is 36 turns. That's halfway through the game. You're not getting your ball rolling until everyone else is mostly down the hill.

A lot of nations don't need their PG to expand, research or give them needed path variety, however, so once year 3 rolls around all they need is those fat paths to bring up some globals or cast some big rituals which they likely won't have researched until then anyway. And in those three years, having order 3, prod 3, growth 3, magic 1, luck 1 will, even if they're a province or two behind, have given them a rocking economy compared to everyone else, so if they've made it that far, they probably have the chunkiest armies and the most mages and might well have already taken out a less lucky competitor.

And if they rely on sacreds, you can easily cobble together a better FSR and some nice generic boosts(a lot of sacreds already become quite efficiently killy with just a +2 strength, +2 attack skill, blood surge, or something simple along those lines) without needing to invest in any incarnate stuff.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
The last time I played Marverni I went all in on boars but didn't take larger. My neighbour Caelum walked all over me because their stupid wings made them impossible to trample and my boars were left extremely confused.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

gonadic io posted:

The last time I played Marverni I went all in on boars but didn't take larger. My neighbour Caelum walked all over me because their stupid wings made them impossible to trample and my boars were left extremely confused.

standard goose buffetting tactics

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Speleothing posted:

And Larger is part of the standard boar swarm bless so that you don't bounce off size 3 units.

Yeah but it makes the boar swarm both less killy and more fragile against humans (and skellyspam/howl/swarm !)... Same deal on the warriors, going from 3 to a square to 2 to a square is a massive nerf. Generally I feel the Larger bless is only worth it if the sacreds you're fixing to leverage are already size 4-5.
If you're facing size 3+ units as Marverni just drop meteors on their heads or something. Or just, like, don't pick a fight with tall people nor people who have mastered the esoteric art of "riding on stuff" (which, granted, in the EA is over half the planet). Size 3 boar herds with any of regen/prot/restoration/reinvig bless & led by a priest are good 'nuff raiders which is all you really want out of them. Any big fight is going to be won on the back of communions anyway and at that point they're just sacks of HP, their trampling doesn't really matter (and the opponent will likely deploy elementals in any big fight anyway so it doubly doesn't matter).

quote:

Agreed. I'd probably rather take middling good scales and a middling good sleepy nerd over imprisoned super good scales super rainbow.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

the bitcoin of weed posted:

The cap only healer guys were my main reason for taking the inspirational leader bless, I recruited as many as possible since you can get Ermor's actual mages from any fort and I had a shitload of them running around healing guys and ferrying my legions. Recruitable healers are really good

Yup, and apparently those idiots have been healers all the way back to Dom 3 so I don't know how I never knew that. Shows you how much I like or respect EA Ermor I guess.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Kobal2 posted:

Agreed. I'd probably rather take middling good scales and a middling good sleepy nerd over imprisoned super good scales super rainbow.

:same:

The disdain towards rainbows is a lot more applicable to imprisoned rainbows than dormant ones: usually you run out of really good things to spend points on and wind up with 200 extra points of "well gee, I guess this would be nice to have maybe" that doesn't substantially help you. Trimming your build down to what you need and getting an extra 2 years of site searching, forging, big spells etc. is usually a very worthwhile trade in my experience.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Large pigs with Blood Vengeance is one thing I've seen mentioned. Which keeps the ability to trample cavalry and the like, but somewhat mitigates the added vulnerability due losing the extra boar per square. Just makes sure your own mages aren't tossing AoEs around.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Kobal2 posted:

I used to take Imprisoned Pretenders often, and would get excited about my great scales and late game mega bless. I also wondered why I did so poorly in most games!

Dormant is the way.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I dislike wasteful imprisoned rainbow pretenders, but I agree with Purple about imprisoned casters with a few strong paths.

That having been said, I like MA Ulm a lot because you can take a viable awake titan expander and still afford good scales. :v:

Kobal2 posted:

Yeah but it makes the boar swarm both less killy and more fragile against humans (and skellyspam/howl/swarm !)... Same deal on the warriors, going from 3 to a square to 2 to a square is a massive nerf. Generally I feel the Larger bless is only worth it if the sacreds you're fixing to leverage are already size 4-5.

Tramplers don't really become less killy by having fewer units per square, due to how trample works - and being larger causes them to do more damage and makes enemy defensive rolls harder. And having 1 boar per square means less friendly fire from meteors, and less damage suffered from evocations.

How are u posted:

I used to take Imprisoned Pretenders often, and would get excited about my great scales and late game mega bless. I also wondered why I did so poorly in most games!

Dormant is the way.

The choice depends on whether you think you can survive without a god. You can take an imprisoned pretender on, say, EA Ermor, because you have some very powerful tools for surviving a rush, and really solid expansion options among your troops.

e: DO NOT take an imprisoned god for the megabless.

my dad fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Dec 1, 2020

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Imprisoned strength bless is where it's at.

FilthIncarnate
Aug 13, 2007

Weird owl has life all figured out
part 2

imgur's back.

Ermor has noticed something.

hee hee hee

Ship wreckers rule. The leader's hero bonus is precision so. it's fine he still rules.

Our beautiful boys.

Anyway we successfully double-expanded last turn. We're going for a quintuple-expand this turn: 3 "brick wall" expansion parties, the flying brick, and the ship wreckers.

apparently you guys were arguing about dumb poo poo like why awake expanders are bad but i'll simply let this painstaking lp stand as a refutation of that instead of trying to argue with you, as i perform a quintuple expansion on t8 with noted early-game powerhouse kailasa.

as of this turn we have 12 provs, aiming for 17 next turn. fingers crossed :fingerscrossed:

diplochat:
talking to ermor
[6:05 PM] weedzmin: have you scouted anyone else out yet? I've only run into you and ulm
[6:05 PM] filthincarnate: oh yeah jeez loads of people
[6:06 PM] weedzmin: hit 15 provinces this turn and still no scouts
[6:06 PM] filthincarnate: question are you expanding to 7 this turn
[6:06 PM] weedzmin: I was considering it
[6:06 PM] filthincarnate: what're you expanding with :chinhands:
[6:06 PM] weedzmin: a bunch of hastati
[6:06 PM] weedzmin: i guess by now they're like 80% principes
[6:07 PM] weedzmin: I see a black candle in 21 is that yours or someone else
[6:07 PM] filthincarnate:
i guess by now they're like 80% principes
do they die to hellblessed sacreds
[6:07 PM] filthincarnate:
I see a black candle in 21 is that yours or someone else
that ain't me, i'm to your west
[6:07 PM] weedzmin: 100% principes as it turns out
[6:07 PM] weedzmin: and it probably depends what the sacreds are
[6:08 PM] filthincarnate: fair enough
[6:08 PM] filthincarnate: well i'll be neighborly :slight_smile: you can have 7 then
[6:08 PM] filthincarnate: we'll call that our border
[6:08 PM] weedzmin: a principe is a pretty decent regular infantry unit

[6:08 PM] filthincarnate: :wow:
[6:08 PM] filthincarnate: oh that's ajbbm thing
[6:09 PM] weedzmin: yeah it makes them exp upgrade. which is nice
[6:09 PM] filthincarnate: they're not anywhere near that good in vanilla
[6:09 PM] filthincarnate: ahhhh
[6:09 PM] filthincarnate: dumb!!!
[6:09 PM] weedzmin: since you can just only recruit hastati
[6:09 PM] weedzmin: the fire resist is also jbbm i'm p sure
[6:09 PM] weedzmin: anyway i'm not actually moving to 7 i'm going the other way
[6:09 PM] filthincarnate: oh okay cool :slight_smile:
[6:10 PM] filthincarnate: anyway did you want to know about other people
[6:10 PM] filthincarnate: to your northish is marverni
[6:10 PM] weedzmin: it would be nice, since i am just blindly throwing guys out
[6:10 PM] filthincarnate: he's got a big pig wiht a ridiculous hellbless
[6:11 PM] filthincarnate: pig just took 26
[6:11 PM] weedzmin: what kind of pig bless is ridiculous
[6:11 PM] filthincarnate: it's ceratinly overkill
[6:11 PM] filthincarnate: one sec
[6:12 PM] weedzmin: did they spend a lot of extra points to put air on it for giggles
[6:12 PM] filthincarnate:

[6:12 PM] filthincarnate: it has 36 prot when gone berserk
[6:13 PM] weedzmin: oh thats a lot of N
[6:13 PM] filthincarnate: however: zero fatigue mitigation
[6:13 PM] filthincarnate: yeah
[6:13 PM] weedzmin: N10 pig
[6:13 PM] weedzmin: or i guess E10 for hard skin
[6:14 PM] weedzmin: v funny
[6:14 PM] filthincarnate: like i said
[6:14 PM] weedzmin: have you seen whoever's east of shrimp lake
[6:14 PM] filthincarnate: overkill
[6:14 PM] filthincarnate:

[6:14 PM] filthincarnate: whoever they are they're west of agartha
[6:14 PM] weedzmin: that's bronze colossus levels of prot which is pretty funny to have on your large pig
[6:14 PM] filthincarnate: whom i suppose i could ask
[6:14 PM] filthincarnate: it is indeed very funny
[6:15 PM] filthincarnate: also probably wise
[6:15 PM] filthincarnate: given you're ea marv
[6:15 PM] filthincarnate: west of marv is sauro with a ridiculous rainbow bless on their oirpata
[6:15 PM] weedzmin: might actually be enough to take several gifts from heaven to the head, after tempering your flesh
[6:15 PM] filthincarnate: it's true!
[6:16 PM] filthincarnate: oh and he rushed personal regen, ofc
[6:16 PM] filthincarnate: anyway agartha's cap you can easily find on the map
[6:16 PM] filthincarnate: hint: it's the only cave
[6:16 PM] weedzmin: true
[6:16 PM] filthincarnate: and that's the known world afaik
[6:17 PM] weedzmin: hopefully i will someday find a markata province so i can see anything
[6:17 PM] filthincarnate: oh wow marv took totally whatsit, trash scales
[6:18 PM] filthincarnate: like all negative scales, even turmoil misf
[6:18 PM] weedzmin: gotta get that pig big
[8:58 PM] filthincarnate: east of lake fried shrimp is tc
[8:58 PM] filthincarnate: i hear they're v strong these days, in jbbm
[8:59 PM] weedzmin: ah yeah
[8:59 PM] weedzmin: with the water demons
[8:59 PM] filthincarnate: they're celestial beings actually :angel:
[8:59 PM] weedzmin: it would sure be unfortunate if shrimp lake filled up with water beings and then they instantly murdered me
[9:00 PM] filthincarnate: oh yeah they're amphibious huh!
[9:00 PM] filthincarnate: huh
[9:00 PM] filthincarnate: that's real far from me, i'm sure it will be fine
[9:01 PM] filthincarnate: -last words, of person found murdered, by clubbing

sounds like TC's lurking. I'm sure it will be fine, said turtle, ominously.

your random event:

FilthIncarnate fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Dec 1, 2020

FilthIncarnate
Aug 13, 2007

turn 9

Turn 9 brings with it a successful quintuple expansion.

But what's this?

We got bumped, and it went pretty badly for us!

Two groups of sacreds......

With their high def scores (in part due to being on lizardback) my guys don't land a hit.

Losing an expansion party hurts, alas. Should be fine, since it was one of three, but still. Pretty clear we can't defeat sauro with similar numbers of sacreds; we'd have to overwhelm them with numbers.

To that end i'm building a fort to the south.

Meanwhile:

Ships were wrecked.

Gorgeous.

Building another fort to the northeast here. We haven't run into any neighbors in this direction, which probably means we're eating someone else's lunch, due to our hyper-aggressive expansion. We'll continue to cautiously do that.

It's turn 9 and we have 16 provinces, and if we count unclaimed indie provs that are nonetheless totally surrounded by our provs there are like 3 or 4 more, plus the two water provs we're potentially getting from the ship wreckers. All told, we're moving very fast and claiming a lot of territory. I think that maybe we should step on the brakes for expansion a little atm; we'll tech up, get our research train going.

Here's Yaksha #1. Ideally the first of many.

Interesting news from the Sauro border: there were some wolf tribe guys here only last turn so it looks like Sauro is attritioning his sacreds heavily to just normal indie dorks. Good long-term news for us, because vs indie dorks we barely attrition anything at all.

We have another new neighbor. We say hi but they never respond. Perfectly piloted, Pan kills everything. We'll just hope he's not piloting perfectly.

Let's check in on Agartha.

Ah.

Not looking great, here.

That's the turn. We're pretty big; let's consolidate our stuff and start thinking about infrastructure. It's not worth throwing away any more expansion parties on bumps.

random event:

Edit:

Whoops, forgot diplochat.

marv's got misgivings
🦍➡💀 DrBonertron: turns out i'm next to yomi and i have terrible scales because that happens every single time i tank my scales
[3:09 PM] filthincarnate: oof
[3:09 PM] filthincarnate: ooooooooooooooooooof
[3:09 PM] filthincarnate: at least you have The Pig
[3:09 PM] filthincarnate: just don't leave friendly dom with him
[3:09 PM] 🦍➡💀 DrBonertron: its so stupid
[3:09 PM] 🦍➡💀 DrBonertron: that whole fuckin nation
[3:09 PM] filthincarnate: jbbm baby
[3:09 PM] filthincarnate: tc too i hear

FilthIncarnate fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Dec 2, 2020

FilthIncarnate
Aug 13, 2007

turn 10

A quiet turn.

Ermor put the ship wreckers through the wringer already. See those three lagging behind on the left? They're all limping.

Merrow suck. I think jbrere buffed them but they still suck.

Anyway we slaughter them.

We're making use of our yaksha to forge this bad boy.

random event:

Seems fine to me, personally.

Anyway that's the turn. Double-expanding this turn, ship wreckers uw and the Flying Brick will join some raiding parties to fight that elephant prov which stubbornly has refused to be in our dom.

No chatlogs this turn. We're living easy.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
I feel like the Ship Wreckers are the only consistently good mercs in the game, maybe also Durand's boys. All the rest largely just exist to die miserably to soften up some barbs or ping a throne.

Oh and the architect is good if you can hold on to him for enough turns to upgrade your poo poo.

Though, as an important question, if he starts on an upgrade that requires the Architect trait, can someone without the trait finish it?

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

PurpleXVI posted:

Though, as an important question, if he starts on an upgrade that requires the Architect trait, can someone without the trait finish it?

Nope!

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

On my honor as the Dawnspear.
Can't forget Gote, whose role is to cast twiceborn and then commit suicide so he can break you into blood.

The air mage with the mass of sylphs can do decently good work too.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

PurpleXVI posted:

Oh and the architect is good if you can hold on to him for enough turns to upgrade your poo poo.

All his troops are sappers, too, making them great for sieging down a place.

FilthIncarnate
Aug 13, 2007

t11

We successfully double-expand.

Ship wreckers rule.

Here are some fun indies.

Soldier version.

Nonsoldier version, actually better due to having a net.

A deadly mage......just kidding he sucks.

Their deadly nets.....these are actually good but the ship wreckers kill them losslessly anyway.

The Flying Brick and crew knock out some indies.

Apparently our dom spread to this prov right before the fight because everyone is autoblessed. Nice i suppose.

The mighty elephant.....

Elephants are size 6 tramplers, they're actually good under the right circumstances. Their main problem is they are too expensive for what they are, so massing enough to be good is ruinously expensive.

Anyway turns out The Flying Brick was overkill because the yavanas just slaughter everything losslessly.

Random event.

Second event. This one generated a lab in a province we're already building a fort in. Luck scales are vindicated once again.

Our magic item. Pretty sweet.

Third event. All these trash gems will ideally one day be useful.

I let the ship wreckers' contract lapse but nobody jumped on it so I guess we'll rehire them in a more strategic location.

Via scouts, we're getting a picture of Marverni. They're pretty cramped. This is in part due to us eating their lunch, via hyper-aggressive expansion in their direction.

Emboldened by how easily our yavanas mulched the elephants, I'm sending some to take on a bunch of barbs, with the Flying Brick as backup. Also I started another fort in the northeast? Unless I did it last turn. This was months ago and my notes are contradictory. Whatever, you get it.

Edit: oh and we're trying over and over to recruit an astral random yaksha but we keep getting other randoms. makes u think

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

FilthIncarnate posted:

[12:16 AM] filthincarnate: i refuse to dance before the audienc
[12:16 AM] filthincarnate: e
[12:16 AM] filthincarnate: they'll take what i give them

thanks for this, it's nice to have an LP that's just exactly what it is and what its author wants it to be

Plus I'll take any excuse to witness Dom5 without having to actually play it.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Tulip posted:

Plus I'll take any excuse to witness Dom5 without having to actually play it.

:emptyquote:

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Luck scales are always vindicated, I don't get people who choose misf scales.

FilthIncarnate
Aug 13, 2007

t12

We've got a couple of prophet announcements from other nations. My notes say: "Agartha's prophet is boring".

Yomi's on the other hand is significant, due to JBBM, and if I cared enough I could look into what it means/how it works but we don't share a border, I don't care.

We took an indie prov.

Barbs are a notorious early game terror but yavanas just slaughter them. Look at that k/d ratio: 15 yavanas kill 45 barbs in melee and only lose one of their buddies.

Squaring up.

Barbs have bad morale and yavanas have awe, that's what those little yellow flashes are, see? So the barbs just get absolutely murdered.

Our first fort is almost done, and it got a lab already from a random event. I'm walking an expansion party over so the h1 commander can build a temple next turn.

Expansion is wrapping up looks like. Sauro is pretty big, I'd put them at 17+ provs.

Everyone else is settling into fortmaking also.

Random event:

$$$$$$$

Luck $cales vindicated once again.

That's the turn. We're sending out a yaksha to sitesearch and starting fort #3, we've got 20 provs and we're sitting pretty on them for now.

Also we don't have an astral random yaksha yet. We'll keep rolling the dice.

FilthIncarnate
Aug 13, 2007

t13

Infrastructure week.

Some people might get gods. Meanwhile The Flying Brick has taken, like, at least 10 provs all by his lonesome. makes u think

An interesting event.

In other news:

We now border Ulm on two sides, due to wraparound. Whoops.

In merc news:

We bought the wet ones. These guys suck, honestly, but maybe they'll get us an underwater province or two.

Quiet turn. Making forts, making mages, researching.

diplomacy with ulm:

M] filthincarnate:
Same maybe we can beat up one of our common neighbors
turns out we've got a lot of those
[8:52 PM] filthincarnate: any ideas which one you might want to beat up?
[8:52 PM] VendoViper: Uh I mean, ermor bumped me so gently caress him?
[8:52 PM] VendoViper: I don’t have any good ideas, and need to do some backfill
[8:52 PM] VendoViper: But also are you like low key huge?
[8:52 PM] filthincarnate: no i'm just a weird shape
[8:53 PM] filthincarnate: you're probably bigger
[8:53 PM] VendoViper: Nice
[8:53 PM] filthincarnate: i got squeezed east/west but expanded a lot north/south

**editor's note: the above is a transparent lie, on my part**

From my notes:

anyway ulm and i might murder someone, who is a question. marv is tempting but the pig is a headache and idk that i want to border jbbm yomi, esp since arcvasti lusts for turtledeath, or might. maybe ermor? we'll see.

FilthIncarnate
Aug 13, 2007

t14

Some interesting developments this turn.

First:

Found a magic site. Pretty nice.

Next:

I hosed up the screenshot of the battle report but our rented dorks got us a province.

Another thrilling battle.

One of the indies. This would be a pretty good unit, if it had seas to swim around in, which it does not.

Overwhelmed with sheer numbers.

Their commander is a famous hero now, with legendary attack skill. His base attack skill is 10 so this is him megabuffed.

Random event:

Here it is. Thugs are bad so we'll probably never use it but one never knows I suppose.

In other news:

We finally got an astral random yaksha. We're giving him the dwarven hammer and having him make one of these:

He will make one of these per turn for the rest of his life (or until we get a less valuable e/s mage to do it).

This item's a JBBM exclusive. Thanks jbrere

That's the turn, we're scouting and sneaking and clearing that last barb prov.

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.

FilthIncarnate posted:

Yomi's on the other hand is significant, due to JBBM, and if I cared enough I could look into what it means/how it works but we don't share a border, I don't care.

Propheting a Demon General in JBBM gives me the Mason ability, so I can upgrade palisades into real fortresses. Which is pretty nice. JBBM Yomi's starting army is disgustingly strong and Yomi has no sacreds to speak of, so I didn't lose out on much by waiting this long for a prophet.

FilthIncarnate posted:

...idk that i want to border jbbm yomi, esp since arcvasti lusts for turtledeath, or might...

No comment on any alleged turtledeath lust I might have harboured.

Chifley
Nov 4, 2009

OOrochi posted:

Can't forget Gote, whose role is to cast twiceborn and then commit suicide so he can break you into blood.

You do not need to suicide him.

Any merc you twiceborn will immediately cease to be a mercenary and join you permanently (though their units remain under their command and cannot be shuffled around).

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

Huh, cool. The things you learn

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Arcvasti posted:

Propheting a Demon General in JBBM gives me the Mason ability, so I can upgrade palisades into real fortresses. Which is pretty nice. JBBM Yomi's starting army is disgustingly strong and Yomi has no sacreds to speak of, so I didn't lose out on much by waiting this long for a prophet.

I always found it was a tough choice, on the one hand having proper fortresses is nice, on the other hand, some of the other choices let you get more/better freespawn out of your prophet.

FilthIncarnate
Aug 13, 2007

t15

Some stuff going on, let's take a look.

First:

I spied on an Ubar battle for you guys.

Ubar camelguys get little falcon friends.

These guys are recruit-anywhere, pretty good.

Falcon friends are free so it doesn't matter if they die every battle.

Falcons and arrows, pretty good combination.

Anyway, in other news:

cleared that last barb prov.

Our guys are pretty good; awe rocks vs low-morale guys.

Random events:

These winds will be playful no more.

Looks like I hosed up the screenshot but we got a nation-specific event, it gives us markata instead of infantry.

They're cuties. Not terribly useful, but cuties.

Finally, we got a free lab in a place I don't care about. Only 4k pop.....the pop-eating Flying Brick can retire here.

A relaxing turn. We're trying to get infrastructure online, we want to research a lot. We've been gimped by the weirdly low-income provs we keep taking but hopefully everyone else has the same issue.

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

Dang, pretty crazy for you and Ulm to touch on both ends after only expansion.

FilthIncarnate
Aug 13, 2007

t16

Lots to talk about today.

Let's get the random events out of the way first:

Luck $cale$

What's a sea-goat

In other news, our infrastructure investments are finally paying off. We have our first fort online and we're gonna make so many of these guys:

Yogis are great. They're dirt-cheap, sacred (which also means they have halved upkeep costs), they can research and communion. They're the backbone of our mage corp and we will make an enormous amount.

These guys meanwhile are our recruit-anywhere sacred. We're going to make a bazillion of these and pump them out of every fort. They're our bread and butter.

But let's take a step back from the hustle and bustle of the turn-to-turn and try to think of things strategically. Pretty soon expansion is gonna be over for everyone and early wars will begin.

Here's poor Agartha. They're tiny.

My notes say:

so this is interesting diplomatically. basically everyone seems pretty well stacked against each other, we're big
but not so big that we couldn't definitely get destroyed by a dogpile.
agartha's hosed and would definitely need an immediate war victory to become viable long-term, but we don't have that problem.
maybe we'll just tech up and see what's what from there eh?

Let's talk gamewinning.

Path to victory: we need 7 thrones to win the game (any seven). Right now we border two. Note the indie throne in our northeast and the one in our southwest.

Sauro's got access to a third in this lake up here.

And there are two more water thrones up here, which we could have access to via conquering either Marv or Ulm.
So that gives us five, we could find a way to snake the next two. Looks like north/south expansion is our immediate goal.

Oh hey looks like Ermor took out a cool prov. We'll reach out.

talking to ermor
3:08 PM] filthincarnate: can i see your pg's epic battle with the statues
[3:08 PM] filthincarnate: that poo poo must have been cool
[3:09 PM] weedzmin: less so than i was expecting. the flail gladiators did most of the work
[3:09 PM] filthincarnate: oh those dudes hit like trucks yeah
[3:09 PM] filthincarnate: they're i think nuclearmonkee's favorite unit
[3:10 PM] weedzmin: they did come in handy there
[3:10 PM] weedzmin: it did take my pg to kill the golem since the astral shield stunned everyone else
[3:11 PM] filthincarnate: c'mon
[3:11 PM] filthincarnate: one screenshot
[3:11 PM] filthincarnate: for the fans
[3:11 PM] weedzmin: it was the only kill he got since i brought enough chaff for the statues
[3:11 PM] weedzmin: that was actually the second attempt i killed half of them before he got owned the last time
[3:12 PM] filthincarnate: mmmm
[3:12 PM] filthincarnate: anything special in the prov?
[3:12 PM] filthincarnate:
for the fans
you're gonna make me divulge a secret here.............
[3:13 PM] filthincarnate: i may or may not be planning to sslp this game
[3:13 PM] weedzmin: blammo

[3:13 PM] filthincarnate: hell yeah
[3:14 PM] weedzmin: it just has barbarian indies
[3:14 PM] filthincarnate: can we get one of the statues too
[3:14 PM] filthincarnate: arrayed at the beginning of the battle, to intimidate you
[3:15 PM] weedzmin:

[3:15 PM] weedzmin: there weren't many left
[3:15 PM] filthincarnate: that's perfect thanks
[3:15 PM] weedzmin:

[3:16 PM] filthincarnate: a rightclick'd statue would also be nice for context but i can probably whatever that in post
[3:16 PM] weedzmin: sadly i only got to keep the marble armor off this guy

[3:16 PM] weedzmin: would have liked the shield
[3:17 PM] filthincarnate: it
[3:17 PM] filthincarnate: 's a quiet game so far, eh
[3:17 PM] weedzmin: well it's still early
[3:17 PM] weedzmin: i guess nobody got rushed
[3:18 PM] filthincarnate: agartha has like 5 provs tho
[3:18 PM] filthincarnate: dead man walking
[3:18 PM] filthincarnate: shame i don't border them, got shut out by sauro and pan
[3:18 PM] weedzmin: i just found scout provinces a few turns back and am pointing them towards my neighbors to see who looks weakest
[3:18 PM] filthincarnate: :wow:
[3:18 PM] filthincarnate: is it me :cry:
[3:18 PM] filthincarnate: the feeble monkey people of kailasa.....they beg for mercy......
[3:18 PM] filthincarnate: let me know if you have someone you want to jump on
[3:19 PM] weedzmin: it's probably gonna be ulm since they're the closest to my cap
[3:20 PM] weedzmin: on account of the fuckin statue province
[3:21 PM] weedzmin: but i have yet to fully survey their military capacity
[3:23 PM] filthincarnate: mmm
[3:23 PM] filthincarnate: they have no bless
[3:23 PM] filthincarnate: i could murder them
[3:23 PM] filthincarnate: if you were into it
[3:23 PM] filthincarnate: i'd feel slightly bad because we've been friendly
[3:23 PM] filthincarnate: but
[3:23 PM] filthincarnate: if you jumped on them i would not rise in their defense
[3:24 PM] weedzmin: good enough for me
[3:24 PM] filthincarnate: and also i would take the rest of their poo poo
[3:24 PM] filthincarnate: you want the cap?
[3:24 PM] filthincarnate: be advised that he's got stealthy raiders or whatever
[3:24 PM] weedzmin: I haven't scouted enough of them to see what I'd want
[3:24 PM] weedzmin: gotta draw up the battle plans
[3:25 PM] weedzmin: and such
[3:25 PM] weedzmin: but yeah i probably want their cap and as much of the rest as I can get
[3:25 PM] filthincarnate: i'm not greedy, we'd split it fifty fifty
[3:26 PM] filthincarnate: maybe a generous eye could be cast toward your monkey neighbor since he's selflessly forgoing the cap
[3:26 PM] weedzmin: perhaps
[3:35 PM] filthincarnate: tell you what i know you're still drawing up battle plans
[3:35 PM] filthincarnate: do you just want me to tell you where his stuff is etc
[3:36 PM] weedzmin: i guess you could
[3:37 PM] weedzmin: i mostly just want to be able to see the extent of ulm's borders and what guys he's got
[3:37 PM] filthincarnate: my expansion is weird so i have a long, skinny nation

talking to ramc
3:27 PM] filthincarnate: i'm weaving a tangled web here
[3:28 PM] filthincarnate: ulm wants to invade someone so i was thinking marv, but ermor wants to invade ulm
[3:28 PM] filthincarnate: and i just want an easy war
[3:28 PM] filthincarnate: :grimacing:
[3:28 PM] filthincarnate: i'll feel bad if i betray ulm
[3:28 PM] filthincarnate: which
[3:28 PM] filthincarnate: doesn't mean i won't
[3:28 PM] Ramc: what is best for the fans i wonder
[3:29 PM] filthincarnate: i'll post this convo
[3:29 PM] filthincarnate:
"what is best for the fans i wonder"
undoubtedly
[3:29 PM] filthincarnate: for me to win

talking to ermor
M] filthincarnate: anyway i'm still building infra etc but i could go at some point, lmk
[3:43 PM] weedzmin: i am also, but the last basic palisade is done in 3 turns
[3:43 PM] weedzmin: so i'll probably go in then
[3:44 PM] filthincarnate: hmm okay
[3:44 PM] filthincarnate: i'll send stuff in theater

:negative:

i'm betraying ulm............

Next time: anatomy of a betrayal......

Bonus picture:

Just jsohin' around with the guys ;)

FilthIncarnate
Aug 13, 2007

OOrochi posted:

Dang, pretty crazy for you and Ulm to touch on both ends after only expansion.

FilthIncarnate posted:

[8:52 PM] VendoViper: But also are you like low key huge?
[8:52 PM] filthincarnate: no i'm just a weird shape
[8:53 PM] filthincarnate: you're probably bigger
[8:53 PM] VendoViper: Nice

**editor's note: the above is a transparent lie, on my part**

FilthIncarnate
Aug 13, 2007

t17

A quiet turn. But we did some stuff.

I pinged the throne on the Ermor border, let's take a look.

Pretty standard stuff, doesn't look too tough. But what's this?

Hill Wizard Steve.........

anyway what else

random event

random event.

We won't recruit too many of these but here's our first Yakshini. She's fine but she competes with the Yakshas for cap-rec-points. We still want a couple tho.

Anyway that's the turn. We're moving to betray Ulm and murder him but

huh

what's this?

Sure seems like Ubar's extremely tiny and weak.

Hmmmmm :abrathink:

FilthIncarnate
Aug 13, 2007

talking to ulm:
AM] filthincarnate: dude
[11:44 AM] filthincarnate: i just realized
[11:44 AM] filthincarnate: have you seen how tiny and weak ubar is????
[11:50 AM] filthincarnate: like i'm pretty sure he has straight-up nothing but camels
[12:07 PM] VendoViper: maybe we should eat him before we get overrun by ethereal fire resistant genie
[12:07 PM] filthincarnate: sounds like a plan
[12:07 PM] filthincarnate: i think ermor has the same idea

talking to ermor:
] filthincarnate: do you border ubar, to your south
[12:02 PM] weedzmin: i have like a 1.5 province border with ubar
[12:02 PM] filthincarnate: yeah he has like five provs total or something
[12:02 PM] filthincarnate: i don't think anyone has more than that
[12:03 PM] filthincarnate: he's got 120 camels in his cap and i think literally nothing else
[12:03 PM] filthincarnate: he also has a cap only site that makes a shitload of gold
[12:04 PM] filthincarnate: and he just started his second fort, on my border, which i could pop and it would be funny i think
[12:04 PM] filthincarnate: could be an easy war
[12:05 PM] weedzmin: the camel expansion meme
[12:05 PM] weedzmin: yeah better to nip ubar in the bud early i guess
[12:05 PM] weedzmin: i do have magic weapon cavalry in case they do have some genies hiding
[12:05 PM] filthincarnate: great
[12:05 PM] filthincarnate: easy money

FilthIncarnate
Aug 13, 2007

My Notes Say:

so we're going to all dogpile ubar. ermor and ulm don't seem to be talking to each other, instead letting me act
as go-between, which suits me fine, because i want to kill both of them long-term, and will relish the opportunity to play
one against the other :)

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Meanwhile I'm busy learning why you don't take D3 Abysia to afford your bless, because if you do, you can get an event that halves your cap pop meaning your resources for recruiting your beefy-rear end sacred dudes that you took most of the bless for in the first place are totally hosed. :v:

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

PurpleXVI posted:

Meanwhile I'm busy learning why you don't take D3 Abysia to afford your bless, because if you do, you can get an event that halves your cap pop meaning your resources for recruiting your beefy-rear end sacred dudes that you took most of the bless for in the first place are totally hosed. :v:

lmao, incredible

Ramc
May 4, 2008

PurpleXVI posted:

the rare event version of Black Death

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019
Taking Death in general has always felt somewhat nuts to me. A hellbless might win you an early war or two but soon enough your sacreds will be getting mulched by whatever magic the next guy over has been cooking ; and you can't sit pretty on your conquests or focus on zooming up research either since they're slowly depleting from under you (both naturally and through poo poo events) while the scale boys you could not kill fast enough are all busy growing.

Taking death on a blood hunting nation with old fire mages ? That's an extra special kind of crazy though (even if diseased old coots are more manageable in 5 than they were in 3).

Kobal2 fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Dec 8, 2020