Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
death pwns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Kobal2 posted:

Taking Death in general has always felt somewhat nuts to me. A hellbless might win you an early war or two but soon enough your sacreds will be getting mulched by whatever magic the next guy over has been cooking ; and you can't sit pretty on your conquests or focus on zooming up research either since they're slowly depleting from under you (both naturally and through poo poo events) while the scale boys you could not kill fast enough are all busy growing.

Taking death on a blood hunting nation with old fire mages ? That's an extra special kind of crazy though (even if diseased old coots are more manageable in 5 than they were in 3).

Actually what I'm finding to be the WORST thing about taking a Death bless is the damage it does to supply scores in your dominion. I had so much trouble with starving troops this time around, it suuuuuuucked.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

PurpleXVI posted:

Actually what I'm finding to be the WORST thing about taking a Death bless is the damage it does to supply scores in your dominion. I had so much trouble with starving troops this time around, it suuuuuuucked.

Oh yeah, that too (although I suppose indie N mages are not exactly hard to find when all you need out of them is booze). And at least that one also applies to whoever wants to get all up in your poo poo.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

PurpleXVI posted:

simply play death 3 eriu and mass highland cattle from the JBBM to feed your troops and also destroy your enemies:

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Kobal2 posted:

Taking Death in general has always felt somewhat nuts to me. A hellbless might win you an early war or two but soon enough your sacreds will be getting mulched by whatever magic the next guy over has been cooking ; and you can't sit pretty on your conquests or focus on zooming up research either since they're slowly depleting from under you (both naturally and through poo poo events) while the scale boys you could not kill fast enough are all busy growing.

Taking death on a blood hunting nation with old fire mages ? That's an extra special kind of crazy though (even if diseased old coots are more manageable in 5 than they were in 3).

I mean, Abysia is one of the nations that has the "G/D scales have half effect," trait, so in theory it's an okay scale to dump due to being a VERY slow decline. Plus Warlocks are cheap enough that, combined with Blood already having multiple tools to deal with age/afflictions, that part isn't terrible either. The blood hunting aspect is a larger issue, but again the "half effect" trait both helps and hurts for Abysia.

In practice it's a much more dicey for a couple of reasons, but in theory it can look alright.

Out of idle curiosity, was the half-pop event an Abysia-unique one, one purely Death scale related, or a Death/Misfortune event?

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I'll only ever take a single point of Death scale, and that only because there are at least 3 Thrones that have +1 Growth.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Lord Koth posted:

I mean, Abysia is one of the nations that has the "G/D scales have half effect," trait

Wait, what ? Man, gently caress this game. There's always twelve more things I didn't know :).

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

I really enjoy that everyone in these games (and the community in general, at least in the SA discord for it) is very nice and chill and then will absolutely backstab you but will be kinda nice about it so you're like "Aw it's okay you were my ally for 87 turns then backstabbed me."

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?

Lord Koth posted:

Out of idle curiosity, was the half-pop event an Abysia-unique one, one purely Death scale related, or a Death/Misfortune event?

It was a generic event, pure Death, I don't gently caress with misfortune any longer after loving Newbad 2.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Well now you know to not gently caress with either Death or Misfortune. Also I've learned to not gently caress with Drain either, and Magic sometimes brings Horrors. And Heat burns down magic labs.

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

On my honor as the Dawnspear.
Fully neutral scales is obviously the way to go.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Death and luck is good you get lots of gems.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Death and Luck is great for the popkill dominions, because it's not like you can get anything else out of there.

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.

OOrochi posted:

Fully neutral scales is obviously the way to go.

Horseshoe Scale Theory

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Kobal2 posted:

Wait, what ? Man, gently caress this game. There's always twelve more things I didn't know :).

its only the supply and income parts i think, still kills same pop

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I won a game with turmoil 3, death 3, and misfortune 3, and did well with these scales in another game. Just accept that poo poo's gonna happen. It doesn't matter if you lose a bunch of money and population if you storm and take someone's cap on turn 12.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

PurpleXVI posted:

I feel like the Ship Wreckers are the only consistently good mercs in the game, maybe also Durand's boys. All the rest largely just exist to die miserably to soften up some barbs or ping a throne.

Hector: Am I nothing to you?

FilthIncarnate posted:

Looks like I hosed up the screenshot but we got a nation-specific event, it gives us markata instead of infantry.

They're cuties. Not terribly useful, but cuties.

Cast body ethereal, luck and cheat fate on them, and it will take units with normal weapons something like 200 attacks to clear a square full of them. Useful for making walls on the battlefield, at the expense of losing your sanity to the micro.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

my dad posted:

I won a game with turmoil 3, death 3, and misfortune 3, and did well with these scales in another game. Just accept that poo poo's gonna happen. It doesn't matter if you lose a bunch of money and population if you storm and take someone's cap on turn 12.

If you've got a nation with a shitload of fortune tellers, that can also negate a lot of the sting of misfortune.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

Tuna-Fish posted:

Cast body ethereal, luck and cheat fate on them, and it will take units with normal weapons something like 200 attacks to clear a square full of them. Useful for making walls on the battlefield, at the expense of losing your sanity to the micro.

Until someone casts evocation spells and they die in droves.

GokuGoesSSj69 fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Dec 9, 2020

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

Until someone casts evocation spells and they die in droves.

Or prison of fire, which they will never ever escape and puts their defense to 0. If they *do* manage to explode roll to escape they'll nuke themselves.
Prison of fire is an insanely good spell, the only issue with it being the finicky range.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

jsoh posted:

its only the supply and income parts i think, still kills same pop

No, it has half the effect on income and pop growth/kill - where normal nations scale between +/- 6% income, and +/- 0.6% growth, Abysia is +/- 3% income, and +/- 0.3% growth. You can pull up pretender god creation with the nation and fiddle with the scale to see.

Additionally, it's unmentioned in the nation description but Abysia's G/D scales also completely remove the supply effect.

FilthIncarnate
Aug 13, 2007

Weird owl has life all figured out

Kobal2 posted:

when i won with ea abysia, i won with full death scales. the plan is: outrun your toxic dominion by immediately slaughtering two neighbors and taking their rich, bountiful lands.

growth/death only matters if you plan to sit around stewing in your own dom.

FilthIncarnate
Aug 13, 2007

t18

Game turned.

Magic site.

Random event.

Random event.

Our new Yakshini is forging this before she does other things.

Infrastructure is expensive so we have to skip a turn of cap recruitment, lame.

Ubar's making a fort here. Might be funny to pop it.

That's the turn. We could jump into Ubar feet first but we'll wait a turn for Ulm.

FilthIncarnate
Aug 13, 2007

t19

My notes say:

okay, you nerds want bloodshed? here you go.

talking to ulm
talking to ulm:
[1:06 PM] filthincarnate: mmkay, you ready to go?
[1:13 PM] VendoViper: Let’s do it
[1:17 PM] filthincarnate: boom
[1:17 PM] filthincarnate: his cap is full of camels and ghuls
[1:17 PM] filthincarnate: that's all he's got i think
[1:18 PM] filthincarnate: i'll hit 21 this
[1:18 PM] filthincarnate: turn
[1:21 PM] filthincarnate: fwiw if you can beat me to the cap you're welcome to it
[1:21 PM] filthincarnate: imo
[1:21 PM] filthincarnate: i'd rather you get it than ermor anyway
[1:21 PM] VendoViper: There will be other caps to take
[1:21 PM] filthincarnate: agreed

my notes say:

i like to let other guys take caps usually, since that's where the most intense fighting tends to be. gotta maximize the return on your investment :)
also if we invade ulm and he has ubar's cap i'll try to take it from him then, which should be easier

talking to ermor:

] filthincarnate: you still grouping forces for ubar?
[1:11 PM] filthincarnate: i think ulm and i are ready to go
[1:25 PM] weedzmin: i have enough forces grouped to attack
[1:26 PM] filthincarnate: boom
[1:26 PM] filthincarnate: let's go then
[1:26 PM] filthincarnate: ulm and i are coming over the border
[1:27 PM] filthincarnate: his fort finished so i guess i'll be chewing on that for a minute
[1:27 PM] filthincarnate: cap is full of camels and ghuls, which i think he just started recruiting
[1:27 PM] filthincarnate: makes sense, they're massable
[1:27 PM] filthincarnate: only cost gold really
[1:28 PM] filthincarnate: probably a race between you/ulm for the cap
[1:28 PM] weedzmin: keep in mind djinn have glamour so there's probably a decent amount you just cant see
[1:28 PM] filthincarnate: i hear you but
[1:29 PM] filthincarnate: my sense is that many camels are gonna suck up a lot of gold
[1:29 PM] filthincarnate: like a lot
[1:29 PM] filthincarnate: and he has like 5 or 6 provs
[1:29 PM] filthincarnate: so
[1:29 PM] filthincarnate: there's probably not that much
[1:29 PM] weedzmin: yeah those fuckin genies are expensive
[1:29 PM] filthincarnate: ya
[1:29 PM] filthincarnate: that's the secret to fighting elves
[1:30 PM] filthincarnate: they could have theoretically infinite invisible poo poo
[1:30 PM] filthincarnate: but inreality their poo poo is very expensive so there's probably only so much of it

Here we are.

Random event.

These are elephant mercs. Got these fellas cheap. Elephants are good, if you pay like 60 gold to rent five of them.

They're wonky to use but can kill a lot very efficiently.

This is the target, Ubar. As I said it's full of mostly ghuls and camels.

We invade.

That's the turn. We've got both yogi factories online and are beginning our first war. Here we go.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

FilthIncarnate posted:

when i won with ea abysia, i won with full death scales. the plan is: outrun your toxic dominion by immediately slaughtering two neighbors and taking their rich, bountiful lands.

growth/death only matters if you plan to sit around stewing in your own dom.

Fair enough - that kind of dom management is the kind of thing I suck at and/or just doesn't "click" in my mind. I'm hard wired to want lots of pretty white candles everywhere. Plus aren't EA Aby's off-cap mages all sacred anyway ? How do you outrun your dom if you're forced to plop down temples everywhere ?

FilthIncarnate
Aug 13, 2007

Kobal2 posted:

Fair enough - that kind of dom management is the kind of thing I suck at and/or just doesn't "click" in my mind. I'm hard wired to want lots of pretty white candles everywhere. Plus aren't EA Aby's off-cap mages all sacred anyway ? How do you outrun your dom if you're forced to plop down temples everywhere ?

you're moving very, very fast.

like, faster than you are currently imagining it is possible to move, as ea abysia.

FilthIncarnate
Aug 13, 2007

t20

Here we are.

magic site. cool cool

last turn we moved into Ubar's territory, trying to pop some fort pd. How'd it go?

Begun.....this clone war....has

The brick wall marches to war.

Ubar's PD commander.

huh. weird bless.

Anyway, in other news:

I tried something with the elephant mercs that didn't work. Basically I wanted them to try to clear a lightly-defended indie throne, but they were thwarted by Hill Wizard Steve

Can you see the problem?

Size 6 means it can't be trampled.

We killed most of the dudes guarding it tho, softened it up a lot. Not bad for an 80 gold base-price merc.

anyway what else is up

random event, score.

luck scales vindicated once again.

anyway back to the war.

Here is the diplomatic situation, on our end. We're yellow, in case you've forgotten. Ubar is black and ulm is blue, as you can see they've invaded and Ubar has moved his stack defensively.

It seems like Ubar's stack is camels, but one never knows, due to Glamour. We'll have to see it fight to be sure.

Here is my instinct. I want to see what Ubar plans to do with his stack, and also not risk my guys, so we'll leave the starting army and the starting commander on the fort here with a token force, and we'll "fade back" (as ramc would say) to the safety of our fort with our stack of sacreds.

Ramc took a screenshot of Ubar's scales. Looks like he took a garbage bless to afford these. Poor fella.

Second, cooler random event.

That's the turn. We're playing very cautiously; this is a high-stakes engagement. Recruiting a guru, yogi, and yaksha.

diplowise, we have an interesting development. It seems our friend ermor has been boxed out of invading ubar by surprise guest tien chi.

talking to tien chi:

] filthincarnate: comrade tien chi
[11:54 PM] filthincarnate: greetings
[11:55 PM] filthincarnate: we, the humble monkeys of kailasa, greet you
[11:55 PM] filthincarnate: did you coincidentally invade ubar on the same turn that me and ulm invaded ubar, from the opposite side
[11:56 PM] filthincarnate: because, if so: hilarious
[6:20 AM] beardbeard: yews
[6:20 AM] beardbeard: theyre in my way
[6:20 AM] beardbeard: may our paths meet in the middle
[2:16 PM] filthincarnate: :pray:

talking to ulm:

AM] VendoViper: I think im currently scripted to attack the throne with the full stack
[12:41 AM] VendoViper: i had a mind to just sneak onto it
[12:41 AM] VendoViper: but I cleverly only attacked with 1 of my stealthy bois
[12:41 AM] VendoViper: so that army looks a lot smaller to him than it is
[12:41 AM] VendoViper: if the camels move north i dont want to hit it
[12:41 AM] VendoViper: should i just sneak you think?
[12:41 AM] VendoViper: I guess no rush
[2:16 PM] filthincarnate: i think sneak
[2:16 PM] filthincarnate: basically this is a knife fight
[2:17 PM] filthincarnate: wait does he own the throne or no
[2:17 PM] filthincarnate: because of his domeffect i can't tell
[2:17 PM] VendoViper: He does and has a fort
[2:17 PM] filthincarnate:
basically this is a knife fight
i.e. it's a high-stakes, close-quarter engagement
[2:17 PM] filthincarnate: mmmm
[2:17 PM] filthincarnate: okay that's good to know
[2:17 PM] filthincarnate: i want to see what his camels do
[2:17 PM] filthincarnate: yeah
[2:17 PM] filthincarnate: tien chi has also invaded btw
[2:18 PM] filthincarnate: ermor says he's boxed out but it's still a three-way dogpile, i didn't ask tc he's invading totally independently
[2:18 PM] filthincarnate: once he loses his stack he's dead
[2:18 PM] filthincarnate: so
[2:18 PM] VendoViper: Well I don’t want to deal with the pile of genies later
[2:18 PM] filthincarnate: the question is how do we get that stack to die without suffering too pad of losses
[2:18 PM] VendoViper: So I’m glad we are splattering him now
[2:18 PM] filthincarnate: it's the right move
[2:19 PM] filthincarnate: i've got another stack of sacreds moving north also
[2:19 PM] filthincarnate: so we're gonna be just fine
[2:19 PM] VendoViper: I can have as big an army in position again in 3 turns
[2:20 PM] filthincarnate: yeah it's a matter of time
[2:20 PM] VendoViper: I think if I can get into contact with my steel maidens they will blend camels just fine
[2:20 PM] filthincarnate: i would sneak onto the throne maybe
[2:20 PM] filthincarnate: i want to see their scripting
[2:20 PM] filthincarnate: but my intuition is they'll do the same thing they have been
[2:20 PM] filthincarnate: which is:
[2:20 PM] filthincarnate: fire arrows
[2:20 PM] filthincarnate: while their falcons fly at you
[2:20 PM] filthincarnate: and then try to clean up with swords
[2:21 PM] VendoViper: Hold and attack
[2:21 PM] filthincarnate: oh poo poo dude ubar uh
[2:21 PM] filthincarnate: has not taken its turn
[2:21 PM] filthincarnate: it's got 2 hours left
[2:21 PM] filthincarnate: they might stale
[2:21 PM] VendoViper: That’s also why I am thinking attack
[2:21 PM] filthincarnate: if they stale we should move as aggressively as possible yes
[2:22 PM] VendoViper: I’ve got a bunch of skeletons up front
[2:22 PM] VendoViper: They should waste a fair portion of the arrows

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.
Ubar has very few sacreds so it's quite reasonable for them to go for such a tiny bless, imo.

To be precise, they can't recruit any sacreds at all until their god wakes up, and after that they can only get 1/turn for 130 gold each. These sacreds admittedly kick rear end, but they're really limited, and your non-sacred cap genies are also real good.

It also looks to me like they took the Literally Satan Titan, who is cool and badass.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

At this point I'm busy being boxed in to the north by Agartha and the west by TC. Agartha, so I expanded mostly east, and everywhere I expanded, Agartha was to the north of me. I never had the time to get a good, full view of Agartha but I consistently had an impression of them as the biggest, scariest nation in the game.

FilthIncarnate
Aug 13, 2007

t21

All right, things will get interesting for a while now.

so I don't have a screenshot of the battle result but guess what: Ubar tried to seduce our prophet, A Plate Glass Window. Seduction attempts always fail vs pretenders and prophets so instead a fight ensued. Who won? You'll have to read this to find out.....a rare moment of suspense, in this LP, due to me loving up a screenshot.

A portentous scene. This assassination attempt happened at night so my guy, who can't see in the dark, suffers from darkness debuffs.

-3 to attack and defense, see. We're still pretty good at fighting tho.

Brick don't fail me now.

Here's our powerful foe.

He's invisible, ethereal, and glamoured also, so just all around a nasty piece of work. Our weapon is but simple iron, no magic.

Fortunately he has no good spells researched so he spams sparks at us for a while then flies into melee.

Our first successful strike pops his invis but he still has glamour. Here's our attack sprite btw, idk if i've shown it off before.

After struggling mightily for like ten rounds we finally pop his glamour. He still has ethereal but we, at last, have a chance.

But suddenly our foe lands a single punch

Brutal. That punch of his took over half our hp (8 damage), and left us with a permanent injury. Things look bleak........

just kidding bitch we rock. If not for our fortitude bless that punch would have absolutely killed us outright tho.

For murdering a shaytan in single combat our prophet has become world-renowned.

hell yeah

Our hero ability is a permanent 14 hp bonus, minus the 5 hp from the never-healing punchwound we've got a permanent net buff of 9 hp. totally worth it.

a legendarily tough plate glass window, the prophet of the flying brick.

remember that dragonskin armor we got last turn? i think our guy has earned a suit.

a mighty warrior indeed.

Anyway it's a good thing we moved away, it's clear that Ubar's plan was to try to decapitate our stack with an assassin and then leap on us in melee with camels. We fought off the assassin and carefully walked away.

Our starting commander perished tho, rest in peace, friend.

Random event:

uhhh

good?

good, i guess.....

random event:

luck scales vindicated once again.

Meanwhile ulm shares this screenshot:

they've had more success than us and are beginning to knock down ubar's throne fort.

ah, we found tc's invasion crew. maybe we can spy on a battle.

so, tactically:

either Ubar's camels try to rush us, which is dumb, or try to make it to the throne prov west of his cap, which is smart. if he lunges me this turn he'll get brick'd, and if he runs off this turn then we'll move to take his poo poo.

preparing for cameldeath, if necessary.

that's the turn for now. we're recruiting another gukya general now that we know assassins are in the mix; redundancy is key here.

in that spirit, we're gonna kit out our commanders a little to fight shaytans. we got lucky the first time but who knows if we will again.

the gloves of the gladiator grant four magical attacks each round. combined with the enchanted salt, which functions like an anti-djinn brand in your misc slot, we should be good to go.

chat time:

talking to ramc
[10:43 PM] filthincarnate: okay so
[10:44 PM] filthincarnate: tien chi is invading ubar
[10:44 PM] filthincarnate: they were gonna do ermor but apprently have decided the ongoing ubar dogpile seems fun
[10:44 PM] filthincarnate: so they're doing that instead
[10:44 PM] filthincarnate: their bless is:
[10:44 PM] filthincarnate: quickness/str +4
[10:44 PM] filthincarnate: i.....think i can beat it?
[10:44 PM] filthincarnate: if i get up the thing
[10:44 PM] filthincarnate: celestial music
[10:44 PM] filthincarnate: i think i just outright beat him
[10:45 PM] filthincarnate: fortitude/blood surge/quickness vs quickness/str +4 i think i win????
[10:45 PM] Ramc: TC will probably be chain summoning the demons of heavenly rivers eventually
[10:45 PM] filthincarnate: he's summoning them now
[10:45 PM] Ramc: per the new meme strats
[10:45 PM] filthincarnate: yeah
[10:45 PM] Ramc: well there u go
[10:45 PM] filthincarnate: i see them
[10:45 PM] filthincarnate: but my point is i think i can like
[10:45 PM] filthincarnate: drown him in sacreds?
[10:45 PM] Ramc: but yeah i think you have the edge
[10:45 PM] filthincarnate: potentially
[10:45 PM] filthincarnate: yes
[10:45 PM] filthincarnate: !!!!
[10:45 PM] filthincarnate: it's exciting!
[10:45 PM] filthincarnate: potentially
[10:46 PM] filthincarnate: i do however currently have a major shortage of s2 mages
[10:46 PM] filthincarnate: as in:
[10:46 PM] filthincarnate: i have literally none
[10:46 PM] filthincarnate: jbbm changes make gurus have randoms
[10:46 PM] filthincarnate: lame
[10:46 PM] filthincarnate: lame!!!
[10:46 PM] filthincarnate: so i have to loving random some s2 gurus
[10:46 PM] filthincarnate: i guess
[10:46 PM] Ramc: random harder
[10:46 PM] filthincarnate: doing my best :sweat:
[10:47 PM] filthincarnate: there's also the question of bless coverage, on tc
[10:47 PM] filthincarnate: i recall that being a major issue for them
[10:47 PM] filthincarnate: i think my solution will be:
[10:47 PM] Ramc: you get the h1d1 guys i guessss
[10:47 PM] filthincarnate: yakshas holding communion matrices
[10:48 PM] filthincarnate: i do???
[10:48 PM] filthincarnate: what guys
[10:48 PM] filthincarnate: gukya generals are just h1
[10:48 PM] filthincarnate:
yakshas holding communion matrices
yakshas are whatsit, h1
[10:48 PM] filthincarnate: so if i give them a yogi communion
[10:48 PM] filthincarnate: they can divine bless i think
[10:48 PM] Ramc: er, TC gets
[10:49 PM] filthincarnate: yeah it's a real problem for them generally they have to transition to bishop fish eventually
[10:49 PM] filthincarnate: granted i have the same problem but
[10:49 PM] filthincarnate: i'm working on it

editorial: all of this stuff is part of why having dominions friends etc is important. like you talk about stuff with them and they'll suggest things you never thought about, or you'll get an idea from the conversation,
etc. it's really helpful, long-term! :)

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Huh, this war on Ubar is part of the stuff I didn't witness or even realize was going on in the early game as I was just busy getting settled in, eventually running up against TC to my west.

FilthIncarnate
Aug 13, 2007

t22

talking with ulm:
VendoViper:

] filthincarnate: good
[7:29 PM] filthincarnate: and looks like his camels are out of position!
[7:29 PM] VendoViper:

[7:29 PM] filthincarnate: boom!!!!
[7:29 PM] filthincarnate: the commander has mapmove 12 so
[7:30 PM] VendoViper: he might raid me, but ill get this fort at least
[7:30 PM] filthincarnate: a fort in his cap circle
[7:30 PM] filthincarnate: yeah
[7:30 PM] filthincarnate: i guess he might attack with the cap stack
[7:30 PM] filthincarnate: i'm moving my guys out to tie up him again

the random events are boring, i'm not taking screenshots of them. just some gems.

Anyway. turn 22.

We hit conj5, this is good. It offers us some useful defensive stuff:

this is a panic button. it consumes a lot of gems but we can make an army of an armored version of our sacreds. ideally we won't have to use it, but one never knows.

this is howl. it's good. you'll see it in action, i'm sure.

so instead of attacking me or moving to defend his throne, Ubar moved his camels north, a truly bizarre move. just goes to show that you never really know what people will do.

he killed one whole pd taking our prov. rest in peace, friend

arena battle coming up. we shan't be participating; we have nothing that might win that we're willing to risk.

anyway, since ubar's walked his camels away, we're going to go siege his fort again

now, my sense is that ubar will probably not bring his camels back and have them patrol, but just in case he does, we're scripted to fight him.

my notes say:

our army scripted to fight camels is: 5 squads of mixed gukyas/yakshas set far forward on attack cav, some mercs in a line
mercs would go first but they walk slow so no.

commanders in back with bodyguards and starting army monkey infantry, which should be plenty to fight off falcons.

meanwhile the commanders of this stack?

they're kitted for battle. gloves? check. armor? check. salt? you better believe it.

now you may be asking what's up with ubar's camel stack

this is what's up. he's leading with his prophet, i guess a starting commander. this dude only has mapmove 12, as opposed to the 24 of the camels, so the stack is nowhere near as mobile as it normally would be. i'm not complaining, it's good for us.

said prophet is wearing these boots, which are: not good.

oh and we found a magic site:

a water site that makes fire gems, go figure.

anyway that's the turn. we're recruiting gurus instead of yogis from our peripheral forts because we have extra money so why not, and also: we need to random some more s2s.

------

later on i had a thought, i took it to ulm:

] filthincarnate: hmm
[7:50 PM] filthincarnate: you know what he's doing
[7:51 PM] filthincarnate: he's probably going to try to take your retreat prov
[7:51 PM] filthincarnate: with the camels
[7:51 PM] filthincarnate: and kill you with the cap stack
[7:51 PM] filthincarnate: if i had to guess
[7:53 PM] VendoViper: hrm
[7:53 PM] VendoViper: Ghuls sound like undead
[7:53 PM] VendoViper: turns out they arent
[7:53 PM] VendoViper: you cant banish deamons
[7:54 PM] VendoViper:

[7:54 PM] VendoViper: :/ so it gets ethereal when its wounded
[7:54 PM] VendoViper: but iron vunrability 3
[7:55 PM] VendoViper: what do you think, hold the siege with a single scout and fall back to eat the camels
[7:56 PM] VendoViper: if storming happens last....
[7:56 PM] VendoViper: im certain i can kill whatever is in this fort
[7:57 PM] filthincarnate:
you cant banish deamons
uhhh
[7:57 PM] filthincarnate: yes you can dude
[7:57 PM] filthincarnate: in jbbm
[7:57 PM] filthincarnate: jbrere put it back in
[7:57 PM] VendoViper: oh neat I could move my prophet in
[7:58 PM] filthincarnate: boom
[7:58 PM] filthincarnate: okay jbrere confirms you can banish demons
[7:59 PM] VendoViper: gently caress it, i sieged it down, my fort
[7:59 PM] filthincarnate:
what do you think, hold the siege with a single scout and fall back to eat the camels
this is my intuition
[7:59 PM] filthincarnate: :wow:
[7:59 PM] filthincarnate: best of luck my friend

FilthIncarnate
Aug 13, 2007

t23

lot going on this turn

Ubar didn't bother putting pd on the fort we were sieging earlier so we took it without a fight.

tien chi's stack reveals itself

let's take a look.

here's their army, a mix of tramplers, sacreds, and line troops.

these guys are all the rage now. or were i guess. jbrere changed their summoning to make it scaling and you could make a lot, i think he changed that tho.

these guys are blenders, a classic cap-only sacred

accompanying mage. note that he flies

tc line troop.

a trampler. at size 4 he could trample our size 3 sacreds. might be a problem, might not.

for a nation with so many sacreds, tc does not have many strong priests, so this prophet is load-bearing.

the bless. i think we can kill this, tbqh.

anyway what else is on

ubar vs ulm unfolded as we predicted.

ubar's side

ulm's boys

these guys are pretty good, two axes.

these ladies are fine too, two attacks.

here's the ghul, i'll try to get the woundedshape too

the ghuls are inconsistently scripted and rush forward in small chunks to die.

the sulfur haze and fire evocations kill what few ulmites that die, doing decent work.

here's the transformed ghul. he's ethereal now, bigger, and has the same 50% regen. he'd be good vs something that did not immediately blender him with iron weapons but, alas

it's a quick fight.

anyway what else is on

agartha's doing some expansion. let's take a look

agartha's bless. huh

the army's some mindblasters with some blockers.

the agarthan sacred. these guys suuuuuuuuck

these guys are fine i guess. against a real army they die immediately.

he propheted an earth reader, i guess, and didn't rename it.

the star of the show. these guys are pretty good.

see all those grayed-out barbarians? they've been mind blasted.

agartha's expensive elephants get shredded immediately but the mindblasters paralyze enough barbarians that their blockers can kill them. you don't need to be a good fighter to kill a paralyzed guy.

we'll keep an eye on agartha, but he's using the bad troops so seems like he's not necessarily worth worrying about.

random event

okay arena battle let's go

round one

this guy's an immortal tien chi hero but he's currently feebleminded, i forgot this was the arena that gives you a slave collar. dying for glory

sauro's champ

turns out a crippled old man immediately dies to a cavalrywoman spearing him.

ermor sent a generic commander, it goes how you expect

she gets some dumb item whatever

anyway we'll ofc be storming ubar's fort this turn.

things look grim for ubar, i expect these camels to go back to his cap to try and defend but one never knows for sure. we'll move in with mercenaries, they can take the pd and if we're wrong about the movement of the camel stack we don't care if mercs die.

that's the turn. our upkeep continues to grow and we haven't had a huge income bump from this war yet so i'm in the market for more violence.

talking to marverni:
M] 🦍➡💀 DrBonertron: i might have to fight pan
[12:56 PM] filthincarnate: :wow:
[12:56 PM] filthincarnate: re the bless
[12:56 PM] filthincarnate: why pan is he being belligerent
[12:56 PM] 🦍➡💀 DrBonertron: well to be fair i wound up in his cap circle accidentally
[12:56 PM] filthincarnate: ah

talking to ermor about invading ulm, via treachery and deceit:
M] filthincarnate: anyway i'd be fine going for ulm whenever tbqh
[1:41 PM] filthincarnate: he's massing i guess skeletons
[1:42 PM] filthincarnate: and his guys
[1:42 PM] filthincarnate: he took some losses taking ubar's fort but not too many
[1:42 PM] filthincarnate: i'm storming a fort of ubar's this turn but other than that i'm available
[1:42 PM] filthincarnate: it's your party lmk when to arrive
[1:44 PM] weedzmin: moving guys this turn to attack next turn
[1:46 PM] filthincarnate: okay i'll clean up ubar's remnants and move in also, i might be a turn late but it should be fine

******editor's note: this^ is a lie mostly, i'm sandbagging on purpose*****

[1:46 PM] weedzmin: yeah i think i have a decent numbers advantange and good research it should be easy enough
[1:46 PM] filthincarnate: ooh what battlemagic are you fielding
[1:46 PM] filthincarnate: cool guy stuff
[1:46 PM] filthincarnate: ?
[1:46 PM] weedzmin: skeletons
[1:46 PM] filthincarnate: :wow:
[1:47 PM] filthincarnate: i hear those are pretty good
[1:47 PM] weedzmin: the archon +2 inspirational researcher is gonna do a lot for me after i get a decent book tower built up
*****editor's note: that doesn't sound good to me......might want to arrange for ermor's death after ulm's******

FilthIncarnate fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Dec 21, 2020

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Looks like this is going suspiciously well for you, where's all the dramatic tension?

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

luck scales seem really good? i think this is the first LP I've seen em in and you keep getting good events? is there a reason everyone usually tanks them (i think)?

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth posted:

luck scales seem really good? i think this is the first LP I've seen em in and you keep getting good events? is there a reason everyone usually tanks them (i think)?

There've been others, notably gonadic io's (ongoing, sublime) clowns LP. But for why people like taking Misfortune aka negative Luck:

Events have a couple of factors that go into whether or not they fire, and let's keep an eye on the big ones: "how likely are you to get events in general" and "how likely are the events to be bad." Increasing luck scales in either direction increases how likely you are to get events and their quality. Meanwhile the Order/Turmoil scale changes how likely you are to get events, with Order making them less likely and Turmoil making them more. However, Order also increases your income by a lot (and conversely, Turmoil is pretty bad for income), so Order is quite popular because money can be exchanged for mages and expansion. Since you're decreasing the chance of any event happening, taking negative Luck is a good bit safer.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

In vanilla Dom5 luck scales are pretty weak and experienced players frequently take misfortune because the penalty is not huge. The most popular mod in the SA community increase the effects of luck/misfortune considerably so luck is fairly popular around here. Some people still don't like them because they're unreliable, though; you might get a big windfall, you might get jack poo poo.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

The collegial wisdom is that in Dom 5 the event pool has been diluted too much in three ways : first because there are more do-nothing events than there used to ; second because a lot of events that used to be gated by luck/misf are now just plain random or tied to other scales (for example, order >1 and turmoil >1 both bring common events that cause token pop loss, which take the place of more esoteric ones) ; third because luck scales don't actually have a very big mathematical effect on the distribution of good/bad events (only 15% more at luck 3 IIRC ? Maybe 30%. So luck3 to turmoil 3 is a big swing, but base luck to luck 3 ? Eeeeh).

Back in the day you took luck or even turmoil/luck to guarantee the occasional huge gold windfall but now you can semi-regularly get middling gold windfalls even with some misfortune. Same for gem events. Misf 3 is still pretty lousy though - for one thing it guarantees you will never ever get your nation's heroes which may or may not matter depending on the nation, and for another you'll be attacked by barbarians/vine men/knights all the time. Misf 2 however is pretty free scales generally speaking, in vanilla Dom5 that is.

This however may or may not be a JBBM game - SA user jbrereton tried to rectify this whole sitch in his popular mod by making each point of luck/misf impact events by 20% per point so it's back to being *really* good and impactful for some nations, Kailasa being one of them : they don't really need order or production because you're hardly ever going to recruit your lovely monkey troops, but you do crave gems to make actual good troops with (any gem being half a pearl), and raw gold to sink into moar castles for moar mages.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Part of it is also that some of the worst misfortune events only trigger at misf 3 and with stuff like hefty death scales, so you can usually go misf 1 or 2 with high Order and not really feel any too bad consequences. Usually. It gets even more ameliorated if you have a lot of casters with fortuneteller on them, so any fort is likely to be clogged with dudes sneaking out and dismantling barbarian invasions and troglodyte attacks so you never really feel the worst of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

interesting, thanks y'all