Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FilthIncarnate
Aug 13, 2007

Weird owl has life all figured out
can you guys do some theorycrafting or something until the page turns over

edit: nevermind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

I believe we are on the next page actually, have a wet fart to push it across the mark.

E: I like to play EA Niflheim with a good hellbless like all blood vitae and all the undying I can stack and pile up sacreds for 20 turns before breaking out in a massive blitzkrieg.

SIGSEGV fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Feb 9, 2021

FilthIncarnate
Aug 13, 2007

SIGSEGV posted:

I believe we are on the next page actually, have a wet fart to push it across the mark.

gross dude

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

And if you hadn't posted so fast it would have been an even more terrible snipe.

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

He's a mean one, Mr. Roy.

FilthIncarnate posted:

I think EA Pan with the Drakon is quite good for early expansion. Peak Theorycrafting (which incidentally is one of the pretender names I have most enjoyed from Dominions LPs).

SIGSEGV posted:

E: I like to play EA Niflheim with a good hellbless like all blood vitae and all the undying I can stack and pile up sacreds for 20 turns before breaking out in a massive blitzkrieg.

Ah, Elves with a hellbless. I see you subscribe to the Jonjoe school of Dominions strategy.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

FilthIncarnate posted:

They won't kill armies by their lonesome, but a solo Agarthan Ancient Lord equipped with a 2h Sword of Sharpness, Black Steel Helmet, and Black Steel Full Plate (all trinkets) can take down 8 enemy humanoids before going down. All in one hit each. Sun Tzu's Art of War has some vague, but interesting things to say with regards to this. It's a pretty short read, I highly recommend it.

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

He's a mean one, Mr. Roy.

Speleothing posted:

They won't kill armies by their lonesome, but a solo Agarthan Ancient Lord equipped with a 2h Sword of Sharpness, Black Steel Helmet, and Black Steel Full Plate (all trinkets) can take down 8 enemy humanoids before going down. All in one hit each. Sun Tzu's Art of War has some vague, but interesting things to say with regards to this. It's a pretty short read, I highly recommend it.

Hmmm... is it "Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt"? Or perhaps "Can you imagine what I would do if I could do all I can?"

FWIW, my Dominion's maxim of choice from the Art of War is definitely "Convince your enemy that he will gain very little by attacking you; this will diminish his enthusiasm."

FilthIncarnate
Aug 13, 2007

t50

Turn 50, or: The Empire Strikes Back

so ermor is being smart. he's begun to attack out of his stronghold

he's expecting earth attack spam so each little crew has like four or five commanders in it. it's smart!

and he's got a stack here threatening our throne fort. we'll have to deal with this.

on the thronekilling front:

you'll recall we cast seven earth attacks last turn. let's see how they went.

two battles here, at the one we've been gradually softening up. both found and killed a target. this throne has eaten five attacks so far, idk if that's everything so we'll send another next turn just to be sure.

as for the other throne, to the west

we sent five earth attacks here but the turn file only shows four assassination battles. why?

because we hunted them to extinction, that's why.

so this turn we have seven yaksha in the earth rune artillery prov, plus the flying brick who can just cast earth attack whenever he wants because he's that powerful. eight total earth attack casters for this turn, and the two more we're walking over this turn will give us ten total earth attackers to play around with on the next turn.

i realize i never really gave a visual representation so here is a very rough estimate of the earth-rune-boosted earth attack range. a radius of six provs

summoned another siddha btw.

oh and i just had a brainwave. you know what i think?

i bet ermor wants to take this, because he thinks it's way more essential to my plans than it actually is. haha, that's interesting. i hope i'm right

earth attacks are my primary resource right now. here's how i'll distribute them this turn. 4 to the west, 3 to the east, the red x marks the throne we've already finished earth attacking, the 1 up north is just to make sure we've cleaned that province out.

talking to ramc:
[12:55 PM] filthincarnate: ermor is striking back
[12:55 PM] filthincarnate: btw
[12:55 PM] filthincarnate: or trying to
[12:55 PM] filthincarnate: i imagine they've been in the lab with arcvasti
[12:55 PM] filthincarnate: take a look
[12:55 PM] Ramc: will look in a bit. lunch about to end :\
[12:58 PM] filthincarnate: ofc
[12:58 PM] filthincarnate: i think ermor is trying to probe my earth attack capability
[1:47 PM] filthincarnate: i'm not going to take the bait, and will instead focus on winning the game
[1:49 PM] Ramc: wize
[1:49 PM] filthincarnate: i have 8 earth attacks this turn
[1:49 PM] filthincarnate: will have 11 the next
[1:49 PM] Ramc: brutal poo poo
[1:49 PM] filthincarnate: indeed.
[1:50 PM] filthincarnate: gonna let ermor flail unless he tries to go for something important, at which point i will totally behead him
[1:50 PM] Ramc: remember not to have any of your throne-with-no-commanders cappers set to attack or do something that gets them killed by retreating goons
[1:50 PM] Ramc: obvious but
[1:50 PM] filthincarnate: ya they'll be siddhas with a water breathing ring set to cast spells and they'll have cast rituals of returning
[1:50 PM] filthincarnate: ermor's got an army set to threaten my throne on our border but actually
[1:50 PM] filthincarnate: i think he will go for my conj discount site?
[1:51 PM] filthincarnate: because i expect he thinks it is more important to me than it actually is
1:52 PM] filthincarnate: anyway i think i am going to do something weird
[1:52 PM] filthincarnate: and dispatch my stack in ulm to the northeast as fast as possible
[1:52 PM] filthincarnate: in an attempt to use it to take the throne on the ermor/abysia border
1:52 PM] Ramc: covering more bases?
[1:53 PM] Ramc: makes sense
[1:53 PM] filthincarnate: no i just want to loving get the throne
[1:53 PM] Ramc: hell yea
[1:53 PM] filthincarnate: i'll split my cap stack in two
[1:53 PM] filthincarnate: one to defend my throne i already have and the other to go south and take the firesnake throne using the Secret Plan
[1:54 PM] filthincarnate: i've totally cleared off one, maybe two of the uw thrones (sending a last earth attack to be sure) and have moved on to the last two
[1:54 PM] filthincarnate: so once that's done all i have to do is take the two Above Ground Thrones
1:54 PM] filthincarnate: anyway as always i am interested in your thoughts
[1:54 PM] filthincarnate: this has become Slightly Tense
[1:55 PM] filthincarnate: because someone is actually thinking vs me rn
[1:55 PM] filthincarnate: so

talking to abysia:
[10:57 PM] filthincarnate: yo abysia
[10:57 PM] filthincarnate: does ermor have an army parked on that throne on your border or has he moved it out
[10:58 PM] filthincarnate: moving some guys to take adjacent provs and wondering if i'm in reach of a counterattack
[10:58 PM] filthincarnate: he keeps patrolling out my scouts i think due to eyes of god
[5:32 AM] PurpleXVI: He had an army there until last turn, seems to be moved out now.
[9:41 PM] filthincarnate: kk ty
[9:41 PM] filthincarnate: how's the anticipated agarthawar

talking to ramc:
[6:56 PM] filthincarnate: i'd like your advice generally but specifically:
[6:56 PM] filthincarnate: i sort of want tot ake the ulm stack
[6:56 PM] filthincarnate: and run it northeast
[6:56 PM] filthincarnate: as fast as possible
[6:56 PM] Ramc: let me finish dishes and settle in a bit and seeee
[6:56 PM] Ramc: what is the end prov number for reference
[6:57 PM] Ramc: the goal
[7:05 PM] filthincarnate: uhhh
[7:06 PM] filthincarnate: the idea is
[7:06 PM] filthincarnate: move the stack in 109
[7:06 PM] filthincarnate: to 136 this turn
[7:07 PM] Ramc: sauro has ether warriors in his cap stak
[7:07 PM] filthincarnate: :wow:
[7:07 PM] Ramc: the sign of an empire out of ideas
[7:07 PM] filthincarnate: brutal
[7:08 PM] Ramc: so, waywoods is the goal?
[7:08 PM] Ramc: this looks pretty doable yea
[7:09 PM] Ramc: i dont think anything visible can slow you there
[7:10 PM] filthincarnate: that's the idea
[7:10 PM] filthincarnate: i want to get to that throne in the northeast there
[7:10 PM] filthincarnate: on the ermor/abysia border
[7:10 PM] Ramc: if he attacks at your loremaster throne are you good?
[7:10 PM] Ramc: he got a stack there
[7:10 PM] filthincarnate: well
[7:10 PM] filthincarnate: i'm moving an iron walls caster there this turn
[7:10 PM] Ramc: good
[7:10 PM] filthincarnate: and i've got a smattering of sacreds all over
[7:10 PM] filthincarnate: but i think he might instead attack the palisades northeast of that throne
[7:11 PM] filthincarnate: because he knows it has a conj discount site
[7:11 PM] Ramc: ahaa
[7:12 PM] filthincarnate: and he thinks i'm relying on it more than ia m
[10:19 PM] filthincarnate: man these turns are getting intricate
[10:19 PM] filthincarnate: i'm gonna summon one more devata and one more siddha, just in case
[10:19 PM] filthincarnate: you can take a look if you like
[10:20 PM] Ramc: wise
[10:23 PM] filthincarnate: i had to alchemize all my fire gems tho
[10:23 PM] filthincarnate: eating into my Trash Gem Stash
[10:23 PM] filthincarnate: but
[10:23 PM] Ramc: better to have it all in place, in case of emergency
[10:24 PM] filthincarnate: yeah eventually i'll just alchemize everything into astral and earth

our mercs won last turn because of course they did. after talking to ramc and abysia i'm moving stack #1 out of ulm's former capital and over here, to the northeast. i believe this takes ermor by surprise; he has no way of knowing that if i manage to take his throne on the abysian border, it puts me in reach of winning the game.

we're not anticipating having to butcher an army so we're changing tactics to survivability ones.

no need for a communion anymore. the yogis are casting body ethereal and serving as magic duel insurance. yakshas are casting other stuff too

this spell is real good. there are even better versions at alt9 but idk if the game will last long enough for us to get there. in the meantime this makes our bricks even brickier

i don't love this spell as much, it's probably overkill, but it's fine. we'll murder anything that gets in our way

remember this guy? i was gonna have him do something else but we're going for the kill faster than i expected so he's gonna have to come with instead.

this is a good spell. he's casting it rn, so he can join the army

and when he gets there he can cast mass flight sans communion

our waterladies in stack #2 killed ermor's pd again, in another lake. they're our main troops in this theater so i'm moving them defensively.

and i'm making a new stack (stack #4). it's a crew of cap-only yavanas with some astral random yakshas. i'm moving it south.

why?

you'll see why

because our days with this conj discount site might be numbered i'm summoning another siddha and another devata out of it this turn. if the fort is besieged everyone can easily escape via teleport so nbd

we're sending the other half of our cap-only yavanas stack to rendezvous with the ladies of stack #2, so that they might together represent a bulwark against ermorian aggression

ramc points out that sauro has a cap full of summoned trash, which: good.

marv's got pigs

making more broth. anyway that's the turn. nobody suspects (i think) how close we are to winning so let's just be quick and quiet and maybe we pull this off

oh remember this guy? i gave him a water bracelet to scry ermor's throne

our scouts there keep dying so this will let us see what we're heading into

random event:

good to see patriotism amongst the tritons

talking to lanka:
[10:06 PM] filthincarnate: comrade lanka
[10:06 PM] filthincarnate: how goes the war effort, looks like you made landfall
[10:06 PM] filthincarnate: you continuing on the 189?
[10:06 PM] filthincarnate: on to*
[6:15 AM] Tekk: Yes all going as planned
[6:15 AM] Tekk: However massive Yomi siege of a Sauro fort on my borders
[6:16 AM] Tekk: Will probably end up coming my way after
[11:29 AM] filthincarnate: mmm

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.
For the record, I was not in cahoots with Ermor at all, besides that first warning about the impending earthpocalypse, fifteen turns too late.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Also for the record I had completely forgotten earth attack was in the game, because it's so hard to cast for most nations that I don't think I've ever seen it. The extra mages in attack parties were for protection from mind hunts/seeking arrows, which lone 10hp commanders are quite vulnerable to

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

TravelLog posted:

Hmmm... is it "Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt"? Or perhaps "Can you imagine what I would do if I could do all I can?"

FWIW, my Dominion's maxim of choice from the Art of War is definitely "Convince your enemy that he will gain very little by attacking you; this will diminish his enthusiasm."

I'm not an expert of the Art Of War, but I'm pretty sure there are some bits about logistics and not wasting resources on suicide mission boondoggles. For example, each of those "trinkets" assigned to the Ancient Lord who will maybe kill 10 regular infantry could buy one or two of the Earth Attacks that are Turtle's key to winning the whole game.

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Feb 9, 2021

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

quote:

cast rituals of returning
If this were clowns I wold worry this is foreshadowing. What are the chances it takes the indies longer than your script to rout?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
At this point I've talked with Ermor and have no idea what the apes are up to, so I'm just puttering around and planning to steal Ubar while everyone else is busy with Ermor. I figure there's still plenty of time to the big reckoning.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

PurpleXVI posted:

At this point I've talked with Ermor and have no idea what the apes are up to, so I'm just puttering around and planning to steal Ubar while everyone else is busy with Ermor. I figure there's still plenty of time to the big reckoning.

That's the majesty of the thrones. They allow for a number of Audacious Plans. I'm sure the players appreciate winning not requiring like 20 turns of managing godawful amounts of crap. As a spectator knowing the game could end within a few turns really adds to the suspense, and I appreciate LPs ending before they're abandoned or turned into various riffs on the same Titan/SC/Communion hellwar. And watching someone trying to take the requisite thrones, or prevent said occurrence, is considerably more entertaining than watching someone trying to plan and execute wiping out every single other nation.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Xenoborg posted:

If this were clowns I wold worry this is foreshadowing. What are the chances it takes the indies longer than your script to rout?

I believe in this case it would be the Ritual of Returning spell which pre-primes a one-shot 'return if injured' effect.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Ramc posted:

I believe in this case it would be the Ritual of Returning spell which pre-primes a one-shot 'return if injured' effect.

Oops you're right. I was thinking of the Returning in battle spell.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

I think having two thrones in water provinces actually worked out to Kailasa's favor immensely since they're one of the few land nations that can easily go underwater.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Technowolf posted:

I think having two thrones in water provinces actually worked out to Kailasa's favor immensely since they're one of the few land nations that can easily go underwater.

I think it is more like 4 thrones.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Technowolf posted:

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Question about consigleire Ramc.

Are screenshots being shared or just logging into the game to take a look at what is going on?

FilthIncarnate
Aug 13, 2007

Donkringel posted:

Question about consigleire Ramc.

Are screenshots being shared or just logging into the game to take a look at what is going on?

i gave ramc the password so he could hop in and look at things yeah.

when ramc and i share screenshots i tend to either note it or post them in context.

FilthIncarnate
Aug 13, 2007

t51

first things first:

we fired eight earth attacks last turn.

four here

all of which landed

three here

all of which landed, again

one here

which did not.

so we've got two thrones that are totally clear and two that have each eaten either three or four earth attacks, here notated in this helpful diagram. seems like it's five or so earth attacks, on average, to clear a throne

meanwhile last turn ermor attempted to pin down stack #1 in ulm's old capital, clearing ourt fort pd using an advance screen with no mages in an attempt to conceal his main stack's script.

whatever is in this stack is presumably the counterpunch.

for the record: this is excellent play. finally, after fifty turns of basically uncontested conning/bamboozling/backstabbing/outwitting, we've found a foeman worthy of our steel. i bet ermor's battle plan will really be something special.

unfortunately for him we're not sticking around long enough to find out what it is. stack #1 is long gone already, on its way to seizing ermor's undefended throne. and we've used mercenary groups as advance screens to conceal our main stack's scripting.

but what's this new wrinkle?

it appears lanka has already besieged the fort! but it looks like the stack is only a few leaderless undead.

we reach out.

talking to lanka:
1:01 PM] filthincarnate: comrade lanka
[1:01 PM] filthincarnate: what's the story with your three ganas on the fort in 162
[1:20 PM] Tekk: They were just left there to keep him sieged - they are of no consequence if you need to kill them
[1:26 PM] filthincarnate: okay ty, i brought a siegecracking stack :slight_smile:
[1:26 PM] filthincarnate: i'll leave the rest of the pond for you
[1:40 PM] filthincarnate: oh btw what are you leading your undead with
[1:40 PM] filthincarnate: mound kings?
[1:41 PM] filthincarnate: oh and do you mind if i take 189 with some mercs
[1:42 PM] filthincarnate: it's the swamp to the northwest of the throne fort
[1:42 PM] filthincarnate: "flatglades
[1:42 PM] filthincarnate: "
[1:48 PM] Tekk: Yes mound kings
1:50 PM] Tekk: Was going to take 189 to kill the temple
[1:50 PM] Tekk: But can avoid
[1:50 PM] Tekk: I'm only committing chaff to this fight atm
[2:00 PM] filthincarnate: ya
[2:00 PM] filthincarnate: on second thought
[2:00 PM] filthincarnate: take 189
[2:00 PM] filthincarnate: enjoy
[2:00 PM] filthincarnate: i'll use my mercs to grab the fort this turn in advance of my stack

great. we're golden.

meanwhile:

ermor has attacked and besieged the fort protecting our loremaster throne. let's watch this fight.

ermor's guys communion up but the communion master has no gems. interesting

standard cavalry flank stuff, etc

looks like this stack has nine commanders. something interesting about nine?

it's less than ten.

nine boosted-to-e5 yakshas + the flying brick? that's ten earth attacks.

let's totally bowl him the gently caress over

if ermor is uncareful his stack will be made leaderless. but we'll presume he'll be cautious and script for a real fight. our defense forces move in, backed by a cautious battlemagic cocktail.

proposed earth attack distribution. 9 on our besieged throne, one on the eastern uw throne, none on the western throne with the sad face.

after talking to lanka, i'm proceeding with our plan to take this throne. if all goes well, the fort will be ours in just three turns.

meanwhile this stack of sacreds and yakshas marches south. if all goes well, it will take that circled indie throne to the southwest in just three turns.

i'm concerned about supply issues for the big stack so we're ferrying in another enormous cauldron of broth. see that loooong arrow? that's the siddha, using his teleport-walk. fun! :)

elsewhere:

it looks like pan has joined with marv to fight sauro.

and it looks like lanka bumped ubar. whoops

first ubar cleared out the pd around a fort

then lanka attacked the same fort and got murdered by ubar's dudes.

let's watch.

lanka's army. a tidy crew of zombies and zombie monkeys.

lanka's undead leader. mound kings are great; they can lead huge stacks, they're cheap, and note their gigantic mapmove. their only flaw? low hp.

ubar's crew. ghuls in front of camels.

lanka's crew is just some undead while ubar's is a small but serious army backed by real mage support, so lanka gets slaughtered.

anyway that happened here, northwest of the ermor throne we're rushing.

researchwise we get alt8 next turn, if all goes according to plan

that's the turn. should our plans bear fruit, we're three or four turns from victory.

the home stretch.

we're sending our event fire brand to ubar as a gift. i hope his thugs enjoy it

random events:

this is the uw flavor of this event; the above-ground version involves someone getting turned into a newt.

thumbs up emoji

laughing with tears in eyes emoji

thinking face emoji

grimace face emoji

talking to ramc:
1:26 PM] filthincarnate: okay ramc
[1:26 PM] filthincarnate: question
[1:26 PM] filthincarnate: how do you script a force that will ideally be attacking a leaderless stack
[1:26 PM] filthincarnate: i.e. trying to kill the fleeing unscripted army
[2:04 PM] filthincarnate: ermor's at least using good tactical stuff
[2:04 PM] filthincarnate: being smart
[2:04 PM] filthincarnate: shame it's too late i think
[2:05 PM] filthincarnate: i've decided to move cautiously
[2:05 PM] filthincarnate: if all goes well i'm 3 turns from victory
[2:45 PM] filthincarnate: mmkay i've changed my mind. i want to kill ermor's army.
[2:46 PM] filthincarnate: the stack besieging my throne rn has 9 commanders. i'm hitting it with 8 earth attacks, and then i want to murder the troops
[2:47 PM] filthincarnate: marble warriors/fog warriors/mass flight/arrow fend/divine blessing/celestial music
[2:47 PM] filthincarnate: need to communion up for fog warriors but i feel it's worth it
[3:04 PM] Ramc: mass flight would be key to making sure there are no survivors, yes
[3:12 PM] filthincarnate: boom.
[3:12 PM] filthincarnate: i was going to do something a little simpler but
[3:12 PM] filthincarnate: let's be thorough
[3:13 PM] Ramc: no time to get stingy yea
[3:13 PM] Ramc: caeser_its_a_figure_of_speech_gif
[3:13 PM] filthincarnate: if my last coin buys me a throne yes
[3:14 PM] filthincarnate:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=op6JM1-o8Cc

^the video ramc and i are referencing

okay nevermind i've rethought some stuff. i'm having my two unoccupied siddhas cast this, as a contingency. the plan is for all four members of the uw thronerush team to eventually cast it.

boom

meanwhile i've rejuggled the earth attack distribution. we're only aiming to kill 8 of ermor's 9 commanders.

we've decided that we want to kill ermor's army, rather than just push it off. if some part of my intricate and delicate throne-rush strategy goes awry, we want his ability to mess things up further to be limited.

to this end i've scripted a much more aggressive fight than we originally planned, including a relatively ambitious communion. you'll see it next turn maybe

the point of the communion would be to boost up a siddha enough to cast a spell we've recently researched

fog warriors/marble warriors/mass flight/celestial music/divine blessing/arrow fend is quite a cocktail, especially if one has quality troops, which we do.

anyway. that's actually the turn.

FilthIncarnate fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Feb 10, 2021

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.
Mounds Kings also have pierce resistance so their hp stretches farther then you might think, since arrows(seeking or otherwise) are a pretty common way for commanders to die ignominiously. Plus they have pretty high defense so they're above average versus earthquake. They're good bony boys.

SavageGentleman
Feb 28, 2010

When she finds love may it always stay true.
This I beg for the second wish I made too.

Fallen Rib
Looking forward to the decapitating earth strikes next turn!

curtadams
Mar 24, 2019

FilthIncarnate posted:

fog warriors/marble warriors/mass flight/celestial music/divine blessing/arrow fend is quite a cocktail, especially if one has quality troops, which we do.

That should be *plenty* to take that stack out, even without the earth attacks. The communion isn't likely to get much off before all those attackers slam down on it. Maybe a couple earth attacks to file down the communion a bit would be worthwhile but eight is showing your hand to anybody paying attention.

That said, seeing a large stack routed after total decapitation would have been hilarious in spite of being diplomatically and perhaps positionally inadvisable. Would have made for a great chat script too! I can just imagine how flabbergasted I'd be looking at that combat report.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Love the fact that if anyone waltzes a single pinging scout UW to check on those aqua thrones they will immediately rout.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Arcvasti posted:

Mounds Kings also have pierce resistance so their hp stretches farther then you might think, since arrows(seeking or otherwise) are a pretty common way for commanders to die ignominiously. Plus they have pretty high defense so they're above average versus earthquake. They're good bony boys.

I wonder what the general distribution on pierce/blunt/slashing damage among units is. I want to feel like piercing is the most common, since it's almost every ranged weapon and almost every polearm, with slashing second and blunt at a distant third because you don't really see hammers and clubs all that often.

FilthIncarnate
Aug 13, 2007

Ramc posted:

Love the fact that if anyone waltzes a single pinging scout UW to check on those aqua thrones they will immediately rout.

i cannot emphasize enough how delicate this strategy is, yes

and how completely it hinges on everyone else being so involved in hellwars etc that they don't even bother to knock over the extremely conquerable indie thrones in their territory.

like both sauro and lanka are fielding amphibious armies of undead that would easily just knock these thrones over, even without us having softened them up.

like this thing we are doing? if it works, it will only be because nobody imagined we could do it

FilthIncarnate
Aug 13, 2007

FilthIncarnate posted:

like this thing we are doing? if it works, it will only be because nobody imagined we could do it

it probably helps that the strategy is in fact only possible because of the rune of earth, which has lengthened the earth attack range from 4 to 6.

without it we'd probably have to research to astral travel etc to try to dump an amphibious army on an underwater throne by teleport.

this is a unique arrangement of circumstances, we're just fortunate enough to be in a position to try and take advantage

Hermetian
Dec 9, 2007

FilthIncarnate posted:

i cannot emphasize enough how delicate this strategy is, yes

At this point in the game, what was your Plan B?

Chifley
Nov 4, 2009

FilthIncarnate posted:

it probably helps that the strategy is in fact only possible because of the rune of earth, which has lengthened the earth attack range from 4 to 6.

without it we'd probably have to research to astral travel etc to try to dump an amphibious army on an underwater throne by teleport.

this is a unique arrangement of circumstances, we're just fortunate enough to be in a position to try and take advantage

I don't believe the Rune of Earth is strictly necessary. The rune saves you a few turns of movement - probably 5-6, it looks like - and eliminates much of the logistical work.

2 of the U/W thrones are already within 4 provinces of the rune, and the other 2 are each within 4 tiles of an extant laboratory (or you could just build them).

FilthIncarnate
Aug 13, 2007

Chifley posted:

I don't believe the Rune of Earth is strictly necessary. The rune saves you a few turns of movement - probably 5-6, it looks like - and eliminates much of the logistical work.

2 of the U/W thrones are already within 4 provinces of the rune, and the other 2 are each within 4 tiles of an extant laboratory (or you could just build them).

sure. it does raise the issue of: moving the stack of yakshas around to people's borders to spam earth attacks at indie thrones.

it just takes an already-delicate plan and adds a lot more moving parts.

Hermetian posted:

At this point in the game, what was your Plan B?

i would have to kill ermor and then probably sauro. because ermor has an actual plan for the game instead of just making random decisions and getting into endless hellwars, they're by far my most dangerous enemy; with them dead i would be in a pretty commanding position.

FilthIncarnate
Aug 13, 2007

how many more posts until new page

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
Should be six more, after counting this one.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
This is a really fun thread and I love dominions LP!

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

On my honor as the Dawnspear.
Looking forward to seeing the results of your decapitation strike.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

FilthIncarnate posted:

i would have to kill ermor and then probably sauro. because ermor has an actual plan for the game instead of just making random decisions and getting into endless hellwars, they're by far my most dangerous enemy; with them dead i would be in a pretty commanding position.

Taking out the people who might actually have a plan is very important.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

I don't understand Dominions like at all, I'm just uere for the Monkey Magic

Edit: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J-SUoHmpRdM

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Ramc posted:

Taking out the people who might actually have a plan is very important.

hmmm.... that sounds like it might constitute... a plan....

:commissar:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

On my honor as the Dawnspear.

Akratic Method posted:

hmmm.... that sounds like it might constitute... a plan....

:commissar:

I mean, in most games Ramc probably is one of those dangerous people with a plan.