Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

FilthIncarnate posted:

[12:16 AM] filthincarnate: i refuse to dance before the audienc
[12:16 AM] filthincarnate: e
[12:16 AM] filthincarnate: they'll take what i give them

thanks for this, it's nice to have an LP that's just exactly what it is and what its author wants it to be

Plus I'll take any excuse to witness Dom5 without having to actually play it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

PurpleXVI posted:

Meanwhile I'm busy learning why you don't take D3 Abysia to afford your bless, because if you do, you can get an event that halves your cap pop meaning your resources for recruiting your beefy-rear end sacred dudes that you took most of the bless for in the first place are totally hosed. :v:

lmao, incredible

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth posted:

luck scales seem really good? i think this is the first LP I've seen em in and you keep getting good events? is there a reason everyone usually tanks them (i think)?

There've been others, notably gonadic io's (ongoing, sublime) clowns LP. But for why people like taking Misfortune aka negative Luck:

Events have a couple of factors that go into whether or not they fire, and let's keep an eye on the big ones: "how likely are you to get events in general" and "how likely are the events to be bad." Increasing luck scales in either direction increases how likely you are to get events and their quality. Meanwhile the Order/Turmoil scale changes how likely you are to get events, with Order making them less likely and Turmoil making them more. However, Order also increases your income by a lot (and conversely, Turmoil is pretty bad for income), so Order is quite popular because money can be exchanged for mages and expansion. Since you're decreasing the chance of any event happening, taking negative Luck is a good bit safer.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

somebody mind explaining what the deal is with lucky yomi, mechanically speaking?

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

How are u posted:

Yomi has a variety of Sacred summons that synergize well with Luck. Shikome are naked berserker demon women with 2 magical attacks whose big downside is being kind of a glass cannon. There are 2 types of Tengu to summon, which are basically a human samurai guy with a katana and wearing clothes, who can hurl a single lighting bolt each battle but then have to fly into melee combat to continue fighting. Again, these guys are pretty OK except they die in droves.

Luck helps you again with your cap only Dai Oni mega mages. Luck is a great buff to have on guys you'll probably use to do some raiding or maybe thug out for battles.

e: oh if you don't know what Luck does: a unit (not undead tho) buffed with Luck has a 75% chance to ignore a killing blow in battle. This buff is maximally useful on sacreds that don't have great defenses and subsequently will be receiving killing blows all the time.

Arcvasti posted:

Basically the deal with lucky yomi is: they get a very spammable decently killy sacred summon at conj4 or something, with the disadvantage that they're naked and die instantly.

OK cool. I partially misremembered what Luck bless did (I thought it was just like, most damage so I was like 'isn't that just good for everyone') and also failed to put together the fragile units part. I had Dai Oni on the mind.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

the gently caress does doing heat aura 3 cold aura 3 amount to

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

My very outdated understanding of the terms (as in, from Dom3) is that a Supercombatant is supposed to be an ur-threat, capable of killing basically infinity dudes if they don't hit either an SC or a very tailored hit squad, while a Thug is a disposable 1 man raiding party who may be able to clear out disproportionate crap in a battle but really is not going to hold up to more than either a medium army without mages or a small army with bad mage support.

I get why SCs are not that anymore - a bunch of stuff changed and notably its not really possible to build up the sort of omnidirectional superdefense with 100% resistance to nearly everything. What's the deal with thugs at this point?

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

FilthIncarnate posted:

is that helpful

yeah that was

you say 'makes u think' a lot but i'm very dumb so all my thoughts are bad, thank you for doing those thoughts for me

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

PlasticAutomaton posted:

Why does anyone ever make deals with Purple at this point?

Goon honor is very pedantic and legalistic, and AFAICT Purple hasn't actually done anything that violates the boundaries of that honor. If anything, they're a good player to make deals with because they're actually quite predictable.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

that was very cool I liked the brusque lp style I know you said it's probably you're only time doing this but I'd be very happy if you did more

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Gort posted:

OK, now I want to see more Dominions LPs. Anyone got recommendations?

There's a whole trilogy of Newbad LPs https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3891653&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1#post495826028

this is where Purple gets a lot of his forums side reputation btw

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Diplomancy is very strong in these sorts of games and since FI is doing one game at a time he can really keep his story straight and devote resources to that part of the game. It was pretty cool to see in the chatlogs parts where FI has to remind people what game he's talking about when entering diplomacy.

my dad posted:

e: Another reason why the OP is good at winning: He focuses on winning the game. It cannot be stressed enough how important this is.

Looking at this from an outside perspective, my math is that, given the number of players per game, anybody who's got a >10% win rate is kicking rear end. Which means that when you think about playing, unless you're pretty confident, you're adjusting your expectations to a <10% chance of winning. Which means "10% or so chance of winning" is now competing with "trying out some outlandish new bullshit," and boy does dominions have options for outlandish bullshit. Makes a lot more sense to just see what nonsense you can pull and worry about winning as a happy side effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

you can't just say you spent years cooking up a successful strategy and just drop the name without giving like, at least a paragraph explaining/gloating

(also blood bandar log, impressive, have thought about that but never committed)