Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

I'm glad my first dom5 game will be immortalized in this LP. I didn't really do much but that's better than I expected, especially as Agartha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

FilthIncarnate posted:

imo agartha's actually a very powerful nation, but they're definitely not intuitive. Perhaps this LP will give you some ideas for next time! :)

I've gotten some good advice already. While I did play hundreds of hours of dom4, I still never felt like I truly understood or was good at the game. I also forgot most of how to play since then too so I was basically learning as I went this game since there aren't a ton of guides for dom5. Getting easy e4 casters is definitely powerful though and I should've taken a better look at their national summons.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

PurpleXVI posted:

At this point I'm busy being boxed in to the north by Agartha and the west by TC. Agartha, so I expanded mostly east, and everywhere I expanded, Agartha was to the north of me. I never had the time to get a good, full view of Agartha but I consistently had an impression of them as the biggest, scariest nation in the game.

This is hilarious to me because I had no idea what I was doing this game and lost several expansion parties to indies. I ended up with a super long but thin territory.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

I'm still astonished that no one bothered me all game when I was doing basically nothing.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

quote:

meanwhile we finally have a border with agartha because he's invaded pan in a big way. maybe we'll finally see some fights
lol

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Bloodly posted:

I don't follow. I know nothing of Dominions. Explain Pan.

Early era Pan is actually extremely strong. Most of their units gets stealth so they can sneak around, even into enemy territory. Stealth is hugely powerful since you never know if they have huge armies ready to attack you from their border or even from inside your own provinces. Some of them can cause unrest and reduce income or dryads can try to seduce enemy commanders. If the seduction fails, they'll assassinate them and usually succeed if they're properly set up. They get cheap temples and labs in forests plus being able to build useful units without a fort. They have also have high nature mages that aren't restricted to their capital and nature is a powerful magic path.

I've barely played them thought so I'm sure a better player could elaborate further.

edit: they also get free naked ladies

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Yeah, I forget why I staled but I definitely missed a big win because I saw a bunch of my dudes with shiny new gear somehow. I also forget what I did with the death gems, I think I just empowered some oracles of the dead. Either way, thanks for the tips Filth although I have yet to play EA Agartha again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

KazigluBey posted:

I would also love to hear what this was.

I just wish games still went long enough to hit late-game BS, I've always wanted to see someone dicking around with Lords of Civilization or other similar poo poo.

Great LP anyway, will mirror the feedback that images could have been smaller, sometimes pages took forever to load.

Filth talked about it on discord:

quote:

lavazotz is
you're taking a d4 bless, order3/prod3/heat3/death3
dormant azi or the chaossnake or whatever
the d4 bless is:
undead command x4
turn1 you're recruiting a demonbred and t2 you're propheting him
your first research target is const4, for shrouds
all of this is for one purpose:
to let you weaponize misbred
you're recruiting a gigantic pile of them and you are immediately
immediately
killing someone
that demonbred prophet can lead a stealthy flying stack of up to 80 misbred
as soon as you get const4 you can make any demonbred a leader of that
that's the strat
in a nutshell
you're transitioning to infernal crossbreeding off the back of your first war
if this is vanilla you're empowering your pretender in blood for vampire summoning eventually
anyway there u go @Bussunda
the strategy hinges on: illwinter has not changed ea abysia since several dominions editions ago and basically you are perpetually resource-locked, as a nation
you spend most of the early game floating gigantic amounts of gold
in the lavazotz build that gold is getting poured into misbred
who only cost rec points and only like 5 resources each
the thing to remember about them is that: they're gonna die