Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Large pigs with Blood Vengeance is one thing I've seen mentioned. Which keeps the ability to trample cavalry and the like, but somewhat mitigates the added vulnerability due losing the extra boar per square. Just makes sure your own mages aren't tossing AoEs around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Kobal2 posted:

Taking Death in general has always felt somewhat nuts to me. A hellbless might win you an early war or two but soon enough your sacreds will be getting mulched by whatever magic the next guy over has been cooking ; and you can't sit pretty on your conquests or focus on zooming up research either since they're slowly depleting from under you (both naturally and through poo poo events) while the scale boys you could not kill fast enough are all busy growing.

Taking death on a blood hunting nation with old fire mages ? That's an extra special kind of crazy though (even if diseased old coots are more manageable in 5 than they were in 3).

I mean, Abysia is one of the nations that has the "G/D scales have half effect," trait, so in theory it's an okay scale to dump due to being a VERY slow decline. Plus Warlocks are cheap enough that, combined with Blood already having multiple tools to deal with age/afflictions, that part isn't terrible either. The blood hunting aspect is a larger issue, but again the "half effect" trait both helps and hurts for Abysia.

In practice it's a much more dicey for a couple of reasons, but in theory it can look alright.

Out of idle curiosity, was the half-pop event an Abysia-unique one, one purely Death scale related, or a Death/Misfortune event?

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

jsoh posted:

its only the supply and income parts i think, still kills same pop

No, it has half the effect on income and pop growth/kill - where normal nations scale between +/- 6% income, and +/- 0.6% growth, Abysia is +/- 3% income, and +/- 0.3% growth. You can pull up pretender god creation with the nation and fiddle with the scale to see.

Additionally, it's unmentioned in the nation description but Abysia's G/D scales also completely remove the supply effect.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

PurpleXVI posted:

The cap-only sacreds and cap-only mages greatly benefit from being Larger, but it also makes them eat more, which goes poorly with a Death dominion, as I learned the hard way. :v:

Nah, this one was entirely on you. :v:

Unlike most nations, Growth/Death scales for Abysia have absolutely NO effect on supplies outside the natural slow reduction from the (very) slow population loss.