Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
:munch:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Expansion, too, is a scale.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I dislike wasteful imprisoned rainbow pretenders, but I agree with Purple about imprisoned casters with a few strong paths.

That having been said, I like MA Ulm a lot because you can take a viable awake titan expander and still afford good scales. :v:

Kobal2 posted:

Yeah but it makes the boar swarm both less killy and more fragile against humans (and skellyspam/howl/swarm !)... Same deal on the warriors, going from 3 to a square to 2 to a square is a massive nerf. Generally I feel the Larger bless is only worth it if the sacreds you're fixing to leverage are already size 4-5.

Tramplers don't really become less killy by having fewer units per square, due to how trample works - and being larger causes them to do more damage and makes enemy defensive rolls harder. And having 1 boar per square means less friendly fire from meteors, and less damage suffered from evocations.

How are u posted:

I used to take Imprisoned Pretenders often, and would get excited about my great scales and late game mega bless. I also wondered why I did so poorly in most games!

Dormant is the way.

The choice depends on whether you think you can survive without a god. You can take an imprisoned pretender on, say, EA Ermor, because you have some very powerful tools for surviving a rush, and really solid expansion options among your troops.

e: DO NOT take an imprisoned god for the megabless.

my dad fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Dec 1, 2020

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I won a game with turmoil 3, death 3, and misfortune 3, and did well with these scales in another game. Just accept that poo poo's gonna happen. It doesn't matter if you lose a bunch of money and population if you storm and take someone's cap on turn 12.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
The big blood blesses tend to have a rather thematic tendency to screw you over in the right circumstances.

Like having a fight with a blood vengeance Marverni and casting wailing winds, and then watching their sacred boars and sacred mages mutually annihilate each other with gifts from heaven, trample damage from retreating, and blood vengeance doubling all instances of friendly fire.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Mostly nothing in neutral scales, cold aura 6 in cold 3 scales, heat aura 6 in heat 3 scales. Almost nobody ever takes neutral scales.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Merrow druids are also available in some provinces as indie mages, and MA Ulm with any sort of underwater presence would kill for them.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink it.

RIP, TC.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Magic phase battles, movement phase battles, storming phase battles, and even phase battles are separate, and if you rout in an earlier one, you are capable of fighting in the following one if you end up in the right/wrong place. So if you plan to do a surround, make sure to either do it in the same or earlier phase as the main attack, or have enough of a surrounding force that they can handle whatever routs from the main fight.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
iirc, shortly before the events of this game, Dr Bonertron's Marverni got demolished in another game (despite being pretty solidly played) by a few cast of phantasmal army and a troll king thug with an enlarging amulet, which might explain why he's being overly cautious here.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Usefulness of attack rear on thugs depends on the enemy mage corps and the disposability of the thug. There are some extremely powerful close range spells that almost never get cast.. unless someone is dumb enough to drop into the middle of a large pack of mages.

I'm contributing. :v:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Unironically the most important lesson of good thug use is knowing when not to use them.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Neophyte posted:

Can you make a thug on game start for expansion needs, so you don't need a bunch of troops or an awake pretender?

Yomi, for example, can do this with Dai Oni, though the sort of bless they'd need for this kinda encourages you to also have an awake pretender.

The goon JonJoe and I like to use something we call a "sergeant". A tanky commander leading a small squad of elite bodyguards from the front. The idea is to let your commander contribute to the fight instead of staying behind your troops (doesn't matter when you have 50 troops and 1 commander, but matters A LOT when you can only recruit something like 4 troops and 1 commander), but making sure the commander is more durable than your troops, so you don't get commander sniped in a situation where you'd otherwise win the battle if you just lost one of your units instead.

The prime example would be MA Ulm's Black Lords. If you forge them a blacksteel sword (no research required, only 2 gems between Ulm's blacksteel discount and the master smith's forge bonus) to replace their lovely default weapon, they'll have +4 defense compared to base stats and a decent amount of magical weapon damage. Alone, they can't kill indies fast enough before getting overwhelmed, but when leading a squad Black Knights from the front, they can easily survive first contact with the enemy, and fully contribute to the fight alonside the rest of your troops. And once you're done using them that way, you can just use them as regular army commanders instead of doubling down on their half-thug role.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
A game I've won was won in large part due to effective thug use. I had a number of very tough, cheap thug chasis (it was a natgen game that game me a sacred version of Jomon's crab generals, and my blessing was Larger) that could outlast and rout armadas of several hundred quickluck sacred summons with the help of a 10 gem lycanthrope amulet, a 5 gem hat, and a sacrificial 60 gold astral mage to cast body ethereal. Oh, and a global enchantment called Gift of Health that boosts your max HP by 10% per candle in your dominion. (Gift of Health is very good) The trick that let me actually do this is that I had scales and a shitton of castles so I could first mass magic duel enemy armies with my cheap astral mages, leaving only the sacreds, priests, and the non-astral mages alive (which is to say, the ones who couldn't just one-shot my thug from a mile away) in the army.

The thugs in the game above could have been easily killed by many, many, many, many, many things... None of which were present in the battles. Not because my enemy was incompetent (though some mistakes were made) but because I used other tools to provide an environment where these counters can't appear. Some of the thugs still died, mind you, but even with 50% of them succeeding, it was very, very much a trade in my favor, with sacreds fleeing into my provinces and dying. Even when the thug dies, there's a solid chance of an enemy cap only slow to recruit holy 3 picking up the cursed lycanthrope amulet and becoming completely useless (happened twice). And in the end, the thugs' job wasn't to completely defeat my enemy, it was to buy me time to research Will of the Fates, which would let me fight the enemy effectively with my actual armies.

I don't share the OP's dislike of thugs and supercombatants, but I've seen them wastefully and atrociously poorly used enough by this point to understand where it's coming from. It's better to just pretend they don't exist than to waste resources on an attempt to make a bad one work.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Xerophyte posted:

I haven't played in dom5 with the thrones and stuff. Is the wiki article on turn order accurate, and throne claiming happens before even ritual battles? Because that makes it seem like this would be hard to stop, unless some other nation is either psychic or gets lucky with their current submitted orders.

The claiming happens at the start, but the actual check if all the thrones are claimed is at the end of the turn (if a throne violently changes ownership, it's automatically unclaimed), so you have exactly 1 turn to react. Unless the enemy can cast an instant fortress spell, in which case you're hosed.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I have purpled purple more times than purple has purpled me. "Well, technically" goes both ways. :v:

He's generally fairly friendly and easy to reasonable diplo with. Just... have a bribe ready.

my dad fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Feb 12, 2021

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Ramc's LP was a good one. It's on the LP Archive, but the thread is still available here:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3885426

There are also two Dominions 3 LPs on the LP archive.

I'd suggest this one for buildscharacter's contributions, it's a good read.

https://lparchive.org/Dominions-3-(by-Lilli-et-al)/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
My games suffer from me wanting my enemies to learn from our fights. :v: Also, I'm really spiteful about slimy diplomacy. I'm fine with general dominions backstabbery, that's just part of the game, but, I dunno how to describe it best, if you give me a petty mastermind vibe, I will kill you on sight and won't hesitate to throw games to make sure you lose.

e: Another reason why the OP is good at winning: He focuses on winning the game. It cannot be stressed enough how important this is.