Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

whoa, here she comes. watch out boys, she'll chew you up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

filthincarnate/turtle here alluded to this already, so I am playing EA Ermor (it's Rome) with this big guy, the chicken titan, as my pretender:

The Great Archon here is a fairly new pretender chassis, added in the last year or so, that as I understand it has to do with the legend of the Demiurge in Gnosticism, or something. I took him as an awake expander because
1) what the hell it's a giant man with a chicken head and snakes for legs,
2) he's got fairly good combat stats and equipment and can expand pretty reliably - that Scourge of Power hits twice every time it attacks!,
3) he's got the Inspirational Researcher trait at +2(!) that gives 2 whole extra research points to every researching mage in the same province, which is a pretty huge boost if you stack your researchers together, and
4) he's got an Alchemist bonus that gives 100% extra gold from the spells that convert Fire and Earth gems into gold. Just a lot going on with this guy that ensures he'll be useful in some fashion at every stage of the game.
but really it's a big chicken man. this is the most important part.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

There are definitely a lot of independents it can't handle on its own, since it doesn't have AOE attacks or fear aura like some better expanders (for instance, the Flying Brick with a huge fear aura) it struggles against groups of more than 30 or 40 guys, or ones that hit particularly hard. It's still quite effective, especially with a few bodyguards, which I'm pretty sure I used extensively in this game - Ermor gets very good heavy infantry units that work pretty well in this role. The bless I used certainly doesn't help at all with its own expansion, so you could focus more on that as well.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

That's some pig

quote:

Basically I don't like rainbow blesses, I know they're all the rage in some communities, but imo they generally indicate a scattershot, unfocused strategy, and are ineffective against someone who has an actual plan.

rainbow blesses are good, mostly because you can imprison your god for better scales and still get the bless benefits while they're sleeping, and a bunch of minor combat bonuses add up to a lot especially for a nation with a wide variety of sacreds. This is not an awake expander though so I understand your hesitation

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Kobal2 posted:

Huh, you're right, they gave the cap only holy guys healer 1.

The cap only healer guys were my main reason for taking the inspirational leader bless, I recruited as many as possible since you can get Ermor's actual mages from any fort and I had a shitload of them running around healing guys and ferrying my legions. Recruitable healers are really good

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Arcvasti posted:

Pfft, that's not a real swan bless.

THIS is a real swan bless. Yes, I have seen this in an actual game.

You may be surprised to learn that this bless did not work very well against actual opposition

FilthIncarnate posted:

ooooooooooh, the lonely ooooogreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

this was probably the high point of the game for me. These guys are pretty dangerous already, and the scaling change to their summoning spell that was around for a little while made it so you could summon something like 12 of them for 9 gems with a quickness bless, which allowed them to smack something twice a turn for enough damage to probably kill any human heavy infantry even through their shield. however the magic leader commander got sniped by 15 gold worth of slinger PD and all those ogres got stranded leaderless in my territory instead

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

As implied by the name Throne of Knowledge both mage recruits you can get from it are very good researchers, in addition to lore masters having potentially any magic path. It is one of the best level 2 thrones you can get, in my opinion

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

quote:

12:53 PM] weedzmin: how's joule going for you
[12:53 PM] weedzmin: this ubar army has been standing on your fort for a while now
[2:40 PM] filthincarnate: it's.......
[2:40 PM] filthincarnate: an ongoing diplomatic situation
[2:41 PM] filthincarnate:
how's joule going for you
eh idk, kailasa's a wonky beast
[2:41 PM] filthincarnate: how about you
[2:42 PM] weedzmin: I've had a scout on that fort for a while waiting for something to happen but they're just.... sitting there. I was curious
[2:42 PM] weedzmin: I'm gonna attempt to take TC and then probably get in a fight with abysia

shakespeare levels of dramatic irony

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

There are a few setups you can do to basically make some wizard unkillable vs a late game army but they mostly involve something with 25+ magic resist, loads of max health, and high elemental resists casting soul drain, which is very hard to cast and late research in exchange for a battlefield effect that does life-draining damage to something like half the units on the battlefield every round

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

PurpleXVI posted:

Agartha was great for giving me an excuse to not fight Ermor so that Ermor could, instead, bribe me with large amounts of gold to not get involved.

We did come to an arrangement, around the time that everyone else attacked me. I figured that was my best bet for turning a potentially 3 front war into 2 fronts, which was the only way I was going to be able to come out ahead after this pile-on.

From a few turns ago:
[5:51 PM] weedzmin: the ubar attack was definitely very halfhearted, I figure turtle talked them into it as a distraction
[5:51 PM] weedzmin: they've been having some sort of negotiations
[5:52 PM] PurpleXVI: I'll say it was extremely funny to watch Ubar lose so much poo poo.
[5:52 PM] weedzmin: always fun to log in and see that you've been attacked in 20 places, especially when you won most of them
[5:53 PM] PurpleXVI: Yeah, I imagine the first login must've been a butt-clencher.
[5:53 PM] PurpleXVI: And then "oh, OH."
[5:53 PM] weedzmin: mostly just confusion
[5:53 PM] weedzmin: as in, every unit involved in this is a seducer/corrupter, why aren't they doing that instead
[5:54 PM] PurpleXVI: 20 corruption attempts on a stack of your wizzads would have been pretty funny.
[5:57 PM] weedzmin: would've been a lot more effective at least
[6:05 PM] weedzmin: anyways i am going to move most of the stuff on the border fort elsewhere and would greatly appreciate it if you found something to do besides attack me
[6:05 PM] weedzmin: for instance, i have heard agartha is fighting with pangaea at the moment
[6:06 PM] PurpleXVI: Well, I will consider your request, on account of my great levels of virtue.
[6:07 PM] weedzmin: could your virtue perhaps be guaranteed with a purchase of gems, or items of some sort
[6:09 PM] PurpleXVI: See that's what I'm mentally juggling right now. On the one hand, you're under siege by like three other nations, which would seem to be a GREAT time to score that border throne, especially as thrones are apparently how you win the game or something.

On the OTHER hand, I really do love bribes and I feel like I need to sustain an appropriate brand.

Plus if you DO lose the war and I don't score any of your stuff, it'll put the Ubar/Monkey alliance ahead of me in terms of game-winning.

[6:11 PM] weedzmin: the monkeys are most likely ahead of me in most respects, I will know better after casting the eyes of god
[6:12 PM] weedzmin: if i do get completely owned you'll be the only one really in position to grab that particular throne anyway
[6:12 PM] weedzmin: I'm just asking for a 1 year buffer before that
[6:12 PM] PurpleXVI: That is a tempting argument.
[6:12 PM] PurpleXVI: So sell me on what your bribe is.
[6:13 PM] weedzmin: well I have at the moment one (1) skull of fire, and have just now found enough death sites to actually make more
[6:13 PM] weedzmin: as i understand it you cannot make these yourself but it will make your fireballs bigger etc
[6:13 PM] weedzmin: or i could just send some gems
[6:14 PM] PurpleXVI: Actually I'm in that sort of funny position where I'd appreciate gold even more than gems. Alternately, fire gems which I can turn into gold.
[6:14 PM] PurpleXVI: If I'm not gonna be attacking you, I need to think up some other dumb thing to spend my resources on.
[6:15 PM] weedzmin: well I do have the chicken titan pretender, whom I am told is exceptionally skilled at converting magic gems into gold
[6:16 PM] weedzmin: my game plan was to cast the eternal pyre in a few turns and turn a lot of that into extra gold
[6:17 PM] PurpleXVI: Hmmmm, so you're saying I should put off killing you now... for gold later... some sort of... investment?
[6:17 PM] PurpleXVI: Will it make number go up.
[6:17 PM] weedzmin: paid in installments, even
[6:17 PM] weedzmin: guaranteed returns
[6:18 PM] weedzmin: I don't know what that'll come out to because the alchemy math is complicated but with the alchemy bonus it should be at least 45 gold per gem
[6:19 PM] PurpleXVI: Hmmmm. I'm sure I will in no way end up regretting this. So, a one-year-NAP?
[6:19 PM] weedzmin: you could also send me some sum of gems and i could convert them immediately, if that's preferable
[6:19 PM] weedzmin: a one year NAP indeed
[6:20 PM] PurpleXVI: My fire gems are sadly spoken for, for nefarious purposes.
[6:22 PM] weedzmin: if that's what you want
[6:23 PM] weedzmin: should be able to cast the pyre next turn unless I get global cockblocked, which is certainly possible, and then I'll send half the income from that to you as gold
[6:28 PM] PurpleXVI: Have fun with one secure flank!

Normally alchemy doesn't give you enough gold to be worth it, but the bonus on my pretender gives him twice as much gold as if an average wizard had cast it, which quickly turns into a whole lot. More than enough to offset the gold loss from having a bunch of provinces and a major fort like Ulm taken. Spoilers for the next turn:

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Also for the record I had completely forgotten earth attack was in the game, because it's so hard to cast for most nations that I don't think I've ever seen it. The extra mages in attack parties were for protection from mind hunts/seeking arrows, which lone 10hp commanders are quite vulnerable to

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

PlasticAutomaton posted:

Why does anyone ever make deals with Purple at this point?

It's a very good deal if you're the person doing the bribing, though in this particular game me bribing purple to not take that border throne is the only reason it's available for Kailasa as the last part of their throne rush, so really it's impossible to say if this worked out or not

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

And thus the game ends with Kailasa having fought maybe one serious and competitive battle in the entire game, vs ulm on turn 20 or so. Revealing the true secret of dominions: actually fighting wars is for suckers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

I am usually in 5 or so games at a time and only actively trying to win one of those, since it frees me in the rest of them to just gently caress around and summon stupid monsters and get them killed in very predictable ways