Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

PurpleXVI posted:

I feel like the Ship Wreckers are the only consistently good mercs in the game, maybe also Durand's boys. All the rest largely just exist to die miserably to soften up some barbs or ping a throne.

Hector: Am I nothing to you?

FilthIncarnate posted:

Looks like I hosed up the screenshot but we got a nation-specific event, it gives us markata instead of infantry.

They're cuties. Not terribly useful, but cuties.

Cast body ethereal, luck and cheat fate on them, and it will take units with normal weapons something like 200 attacks to clear a square full of them. Useful for making walls on the battlefield, at the expense of losing your sanity to the micro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Torrannor posted:

Great LP so far, I like your style. Good to see that JBBM continues to buff the less good nations.

Important question: Is anything being done to help Ys be halfway competitive? Somewhat competitive? A little bit competitive? Please, I'm dying to know.

JBBM makes the free swans that Ys can spam with the swanherds sacred. Since you can scale up their amounts into absurdity, with the right bless you can pull some crazy poo poo with that.

I still don't think it makes Ys actually good, or even baseline competitive, but it is at least funny.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

my dad posted:

Usefulness of attack rear on thugs depends on the enemy mage corps and the disposability of the thug. There are some extremely powerful close range spells that almost never get cast.. unless someone is dumb enough to drop into the middle of a large pack of mages.

I'm contributing. :v:

And there are also a whole bunch of powerful spells that mages like to cast at close range that have a large AoE, which is oh so exploitable if enemy mages are not safely inside a cube of troops, so that your unit landing next to them triggers massive friendly fire. This is best exploited with like 20 cheap birds instead of an actual geared thug, though.

Tulip posted:

My very outdated understanding of the terms (as in, from Dom3) is that a Supercombatant is supposed to be an ur-threat, capable of killing basically infinity dudes if they don't hit either an SC or a very tailored hit squad, while a Thug is a disposable 1 man raiding party who may be able to clear out disproportionate crap in a battle but really is not going to hold up to more than either a medium army without mages or a small army with bad mage support.

I get why SCs are not that anymore - a bunch of stuff changed and notably its not really possible to build up the sort of omnidirectional superdefense with 100% resistance to nearly everything. What's the deal with thugs at this point?

There are cheap, easily available spells that counter almost any thug. Like having two blood mages casting bleed twice. Thugs can still be useful, especially if they are very mobile, but only if they are so cheap that being counterable by an investment of 120g and 4 blood slaves doesn't make the exchange really unfavorable.