Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

the bitcoin of weed posted:

filthincarnate/turtle here alluded to this already, so I am playing EA Ermor (it's Rome) with this big guy, the chicken titan, as my pretender:

He seems pretty good as an expander for the EA (19 prot is plenty against Joe Spearman), but I'd be wary of sending him off without a token hat. Also quiet lol at these scales for EA Ermor. Winter's going to be fun for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

PurpleXVI posted:

Does the hard skin even still do anything once you've got that much prot from the Earth magic? I remember it has some diminishing returns going on.

Marverni has half-decent cap sacreds AND summonable ones that both have the downside of going into battle almost naked so the prot bless can justify itself beyond making King Pig more durable. Larger OTOH... well I guess it also helps the Great Boars commanders thugging it out, albeit at the cost of loving both the human sacreds and the littler piggies over.

Straight White Shark posted:

I think Sauro's rainbow actually looks fine. There are plenty of nations where rainbows aren't really going to be viable but sacred cav is usually a good vehicle for them and it's a pretty well designed bless without a lot of dead weight.

Yeah, also on paper Sauro has both a) expensive but very good cap troops/mages that make scales attractive and b) bad magic path intensity outside of death (and nature 2) so a god that can sitesearch a decent starter income in all the paths they have only 1 on their native mages is a decent idea as it can then go back to the lab, forge a few boosters to start the mooks remote sitesearching in earnest and get a lot of different balls rolling at once. Maybe imprisoned is too late for that though, idk

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

sullat posted:

EA Ermor has healers, IIRC. Get those old mages whipped back into shape by summer.

Huh, you're right, they gave the cap only holy guys healer 1.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Speleothing posted:

And Larger is part of the standard boar swarm bless so that you don't bounce off size 3 units.

Yeah but it makes the boar swarm both less killy and more fragile against humans (and skellyspam/howl/swarm !)... Same deal on the warriors, going from 3 to a square to 2 to a square is a massive nerf. Generally I feel the Larger bless is only worth it if the sacreds you're fixing to leverage are already size 4-5.
If you're facing size 3+ units as Marverni just drop meteors on their heads or something. Or just, like, don't pick a fight with tall people nor people who have mastered the esoteric art of "riding on stuff" (which, granted, in the EA is over half the planet). Size 3 boar herds with any of regen/prot/restoration/reinvig bless & led by a priest are good 'nuff raiders which is all you really want out of them. Any big fight is going to be won on the back of communions anyway and at that point they're just sacks of HP, their trampling doesn't really matter (and the opponent will likely deploy elementals in any big fight anyway so it doubly doesn't matter).

quote:

Imprisoned is 36 turns. That's halfway through the game. You're not getting your ball rolling until everyone else is mostly down the hill.

Agreed. I'd probably rather take middling good scales and a middling good sleepy nerd over imprisoned super good scales super rainbow.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

the bitcoin of weed posted:

The cap only healer guys were my main reason for taking the inspirational leader bless, I recruited as many as possible since you can get Ermor's actual mages from any fort and I had a shitload of them running around healing guys and ferrying my legions. Recruitable healers are really good

Yup, and apparently those idiots have been healers all the way back to Dom 3 so I don't know how I never knew that. Shows you how much I like or respect EA Ermor I guess.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019
Taking Death in general has always felt somewhat nuts to me. A hellbless might win you an early war or two but soon enough your sacreds will be getting mulched by whatever magic the next guy over has been cooking ; and you can't sit pretty on your conquests or focus on zooming up research either since they're slowly depleting from under you (both naturally and through poo poo events) while the scale boys you could not kill fast enough are all busy growing.

Taking death on a blood hunting nation with old fire mages ? That's an extra special kind of crazy though (even if diseased old coots are more manageable in 5 than they were in 3).

Kobal2 fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Dec 8, 2020

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

PurpleXVI posted:

Actually what I'm finding to be the WORST thing about taking a Death bless is the damage it does to supply scores in your dominion. I had so much trouble with starving troops this time around, it suuuuuuucked.

Oh yeah, that too (although I suppose indie N mages are not exactly hard to find when all you need out of them is booze). And at least that one also applies to whoever wants to get all up in your poo poo.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Lord Koth posted:

I mean, Abysia is one of the nations that has the "G/D scales have half effect," trait

Wait, what ? Man, gently caress this game. There's always twelve more things I didn't know :).

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

Until someone casts evocation spells and they die in droves.

Or prison of fire, which they will never ever escape and puts their defense to 0. If they *do* manage to explode roll to escape they'll nuke themselves.
Prison of fire is an insanely good spell, the only issue with it being the finicky range.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

FilthIncarnate posted:

when i won with ea abysia, i won with full death scales. the plan is: outrun your toxic dominion by immediately slaughtering two neighbors and taking their rich, bountiful lands.

growth/death only matters if you plan to sit around stewing in your own dom.

Fair enough - that kind of dom management is the kind of thing I suck at and/or just doesn't "click" in my mind. I'm hard wired to want lots of pretty white candles everywhere. Plus aren't EA Aby's off-cap mages all sacred anyway ? How do you outrun your dom if you're forced to plop down temples everywhere ?

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth posted:

luck scales seem really good? i think this is the first LP I've seen em in and you keep getting good events? is there a reason everyone usually tanks them (i think)?

The collegial wisdom is that in Dom 5 the event pool has been diluted too much in three ways : first because there are more do-nothing events than there used to ; second because a lot of events that used to be gated by luck/misf are now just plain random or tied to other scales (for example, order >1 and turmoil >1 both bring common events that cause token pop loss, which take the place of more esoteric ones) ; third because luck scales don't actually have a very big mathematical effect on the distribution of good/bad events (only 15% more at luck 3 IIRC ? Maybe 30%. So luck3 to turmoil 3 is a big swing, but base luck to luck 3 ? Eeeeh).

Back in the day you took luck or even turmoil/luck to guarantee the occasional huge gold windfall but now you can semi-regularly get middling gold windfalls even with some misfortune. Same for gem events. Misf 3 is still pretty lousy though - for one thing it guarantees you will never ever get your nation's heroes which may or may not matter depending on the nation, and for another you'll be attacked by barbarians/vine men/knights all the time. Misf 2 however is pretty free scales generally speaking, in vanilla Dom5 that is.

This however may or may not be a JBBM game - SA user jbrereton tried to rectify this whole sitch in his popular mod by making each point of luck/misf impact events by 20% per point so it's back to being *really* good and impactful for some nations, Kailasa being one of them : they don't really need order or production because you're hardly ever going to recruit your lovely monkey troops, but you do crave gems to make actual good troops with (any gem being half a pearl), and raw gold to sink into moar castles for moar mages.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

PurpleXVI posted:

I confess when I last played Yomi I didn't focus much on a bless, worked pretty well for me until two nations came for me at once(after surviving the FIRST time two nations came for me at once and I beat one so hard he gave up on the game) with some ownage on their minds.

I have no notion how, or more importantly why to play Yomi in Dom5.
The changes they made to the nation make it feel like you're running with concrete shoes and a lead prince Albert.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Tuna-Fish posted:

I still don't think it makes Ys actually good, or even baseline competitive, but it is at least funny.

Exploding swans :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

tell us why the throne is good in this context!!

Big research boost and then the research mooks are communion slaves.

(also recruitable crystal matrix/slave matrix/S booster hammering wizzards, monkeys easily providing the hammers)