Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.
This was a weird game to be in. Curious to see how it looked from a turtle's eyes.

Also wow, getting the national hero on turn 3. And casual +1 air gem per turn forever in the capital too. An auspicious beginning for an inauspicious nation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.
On one hand, wow that is a lot of points in one pig, and hard skin isn't the greatest bless for any of your non-pretender units.

On the other hand, imagine sending a pile of vanheres or big fuckoff giants towards marverni, only for their blows to bounce harmlessly off of adamantine-hard pig flesh as they are slowly crushed to death beneath it's trotters.

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.

FilthIncarnate posted:

Yomi's on the other hand is significant, due to JBBM, and if I cared enough I could look into what it means/how it works but we don't share a border, I don't care.

Propheting a Demon General in JBBM gives me the Mason ability, so I can upgrade palisades into real fortresses. Which is pretty nice. JBBM Yomi's starting army is disgustingly strong and Yomi has no sacreds to speak of, so I didn't lose out on much by waiting this long for a prophet.

FilthIncarnate posted:

...idk that i want to border jbbm yomi, esp since arcvasti lusts for turtledeath, or might...

No comment on any alleged turtledeath lust I might have harboured.

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.

OOrochi posted:

Fully neutral scales is obviously the way to go.

Horseshoe Scale Theory

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.
Ubar has very few sacreds so it's quite reasonable for them to go for such a tiny bless, imo.

To be precise, they can't recruit any sacreds at all until their god wakes up, and after that they can only get 1/turn for 130 gold each. These sacreds admittedly kick rear end, but they're really limited, and your non-sacred cap genies are also real good.

It also looks to me like they took the Literally Satan Titan, who is cool and badass.

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.

Tulip posted:

somebody mind explaining what the deal is with lucky yomi, mechanically speaking?

Basically the deal with lucky yomi is: they get a very spammable decently killy sacred summon at conj4 or something, with the disadvantage that they're naked and die instantly.

My reasoning with luck is that those sacred summons would then not die instantly, and be able to kick major rear end.

This was the pretender I took. Besides providing the luck bless, this dude also gives me alt2 by turn 3 so I can solo expand with dai oni in relatively safety, and then lets me sprint for conj4 for shikome spam as quickly as possible. Inspiring researcher is especially nice on jbbm yomi because you get foreign recruit mages, and also foreign recruit researcher priests a la Ma Man.

By this point in the game, the strategy was working pretty well. I got a decent expansion, although I did mess up and send a dai oni to an easily avoidable death in a vine man province. And as you can see, I'd made a big pile of demons, sacred demons and some random flagellants from an event and rammed it straight into Lanka's cap, relatively quickly.

As later events will demonstrate, this strategy has a few drawbacks that need to be finessed, but I still think it's good overall. Especially if you're smarter then I was in this game, and remember to also summon tengu and bishop fish in addition to mashing the shikome button repeatedly.

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.

Tulip posted:

OK cool. I partially misremembered what Luck bless did (I thought it was just like, most damage so I was like 'isn't that just good for everyone') and also failed to put together the fragile units part. I had Dai Oni on the mind.

The luck bless is totally useless for dai oni, for what it's worth. It only triggers when their ghost shape would die, and their ghost shape is undead and so luck does nothing.

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.

Kobal2 posted:

Exploding swans :getin:

Pfft, that's not a real swan bless.

THIS is a real swan bless. Yes, I have seen this in an actual game.

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.

PurpleXVI posted:

I know Arcvasti's working on/off on a mod that rebalances water nations while also giving them amphibious options, which goes some way towards solving the issue by letting water nations participate on land.

To be precise, the mod turns underwater nations into coastal nations, and gives them inland recruitables. It also makes some stuff like aboleths straight-up amphibious.

It's a pain to do though so I currently only have support for ea UW nations minus therodos and ys. I'll get around to finishing it eventually.

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.

FilthIncarnate posted:

fixing ys would probably start with making it a coastal nation instead of uw and giving merrow druids a workable magic path. after that we can talk about repricing morvach.

Putting Ys as a coastal nation actually totally bypasses the need to give merrow druids a workable magic path, because then you start off with their kernou druids who have the perfectly serviceable E1S1 crosspath. They're still overpriced for their paths, but they're a lot more usable then merrow druids.

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.
I'm pretty sure I did actually have horde of skeletons by this point, I just didn't have as many casters as sauromatia. It's also entirely possible that I forgot to rescript my guys from the ench3 version, not that it would have helped at this point. I was pretty much dead at this point, having lost most of my territory, troops and also my god, so I wasn't particularly motivated to script powerfully.

EDIT:

Yeah I definitely have it online and scripted. Just didn't do much with the magepower I had on hand.

Arcvasti fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jan 22, 2021

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.
My situation is actually a bit better then it looks there. I still have some provinces outside my cap, they're just cut off by Sauromatia.

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.
That was just one of Sauro's heroes, not their Pretender. You can tell because it doesn't have "X is trying to become a Pretender God and etc etc" at the end. You rube!!!

I'm not really a fan of SCs either, I cobbled that one together out of a dai oni who got trapped in the fort and a bunch of const2 gear, because it was what I had available. He had two purposes: maybe kill the bull, since his 27 defense would let him prance out of the way of trample pretty well, and burn some gems. The fool also routed into enemy territory and died, instead of back into the fort for another round with the bull, but with less chaff harassing his defense down. I'm still mad at him for that.

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.

curtadams posted:

Aren't all combats resolved before routing? I think I had a case where some of my besieging units got routed by a relief effort the turn I assaulted the fortress, and they ended up routing into the fort even though the fort hadn't been taken yet when they routed.

I'm honestly not sure, although that would definitely explain the "rout into the fort the turn after I took it" thing. I also reserve the right to get mad at my pixel peons for any reason, including failing to do the literally impossible.

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.

Donkringel posted:

Is there ever a reason not to put a flying thug in the far back, buff, then attack rear? Assuming you aren't hitting any counter thug mages or cav you're separating the main army from the commanders and then your thug has much less to deal with.

In general flying into the midst of the enemy mage corps is suicidal. So many brave thugs lost to a dozen point blank star fires...

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.

my dad posted:

Usefulness of attack rear on thugs depends on the enemy mage corps and the disposability of the thug. There are some extremely powerful close range spells that almost never get cast.. unless someone is dumb enough to drop into the middle of a large pack of mages.

I learned this in my first game, where I sent a golem with winged boots and like four artifacts to attack Sauromatia, where they promptly got killed to death by Star Fires.

It also comes up a lot with the Birinj/Bronze Colossus diving into a big pile of Shatter/Star Fires casters.

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.

my dad posted:

Yomi, for example, can do this with Dai Oni, though the sort of bless they'd need for this kinda encourages you to also have an awake pretender.

I actually did that in this game, with decent success(only one failed expansion) and no bless at all(luck doesn't work on dai oni). The key is getting alt2 immediately so your dai oni can stoneskin. With my great sage pretender that was a breeze. I'm not really sure that it's actually worth it since dai oni are so pricey, but it's definitely possible, especially in JBBM where your starting army is insanely good.

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.
Don't forget that Pan also gets acceptable blood magic, the best god pantheon bar none, every single one of their troops is amazing(even the minotaur has a niche in certain match-ups) and basically everything has high mobility, mr and hp.

This last bit is a big deal: Some nations have to potter around with frail, slow and cowardly old mages, instead of a beefcake stapled to a pretty pony who can pole vault over earthquakes and gallop faster then the wind to drop magic on folks.

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.
It's also worth noting that in the mod this is using, JBBM, EA Pan is brutally but fairly nerfed.

Non-complete list of nerfs, just off the top of my head:
-Fort/Lab discount removed
-Blood spell costs largely doubled
-Swarm/Creeping Doom are a lot less strong, which makes dryad assassins somewhat worse and removes some classic nature battlemagic
-Dryads are now 3 rec points instead of 2
-Centaurs all lose a bunch of hp and are more expensive rec-point wise
-Satyr Revellers are more expensive
-Some of the strong greek pantheon pretenders like the bronze colossus or the drakon are nerfed or even outright removed

It's still probably a good nation, but it has fallen a long ways.

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.
For the record, I was not in cahoots with Ermor at all, besides that first warning about the impending earthpocalypse, fifteen turns too late.

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.
Mounds Kings also have pierce resistance so their hp stretches farther then you might think, since arrows(seeking or otherwise) are a pretty common way for commanders to die ignominiously. Plus they have pretty high defense so they're above average versus earthquake. They're good bony boys.

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.

PlasticAutomaton posted:

Why does anyone ever make deals with Purple at this point?

Purple's reputation for treachery is greatly exaggerated. You can definitely make productive deals with them, like turtle did with the big lantern deal. In general Purple will actually interact with people diplomatically, instead of, say, instantly invading anyone who tries to talk to them.

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.

SIGSEGV posted:

There are Earth and Nature options to make it happen.

The nature one is terrain restricted, but one of those terrains is underwater which conveniently works here.

JBBM gives MA Caelum a national ice fort making spell in water, which is really strong. Although they will melt eventually if you put them in the wrong place. Emphasis on eventually though, ice forts take a long time to melt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.
It's technically still possible for you to lose, if someone takes one of the thrones after killing a wizard tower caster in the magic phase. Incredibly unlikely, but possible in theory.