Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Tagichatn posted:

I'm still astonished that no one bothered me all game when I was doing basically nothing.

Were you maybe just too quiet in the discord to get any friendly advice pointing you down the road to self-annihilation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Donkringel posted:

At this point in the game who were you most actively plotting against?

I like that you had to add "most" to that question because it was PurpleXVI.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

FilthIncarnate posted:

a troll atop a moose.

and this is a big mage. i bet it won't cast much but: it's a big mage.

Agartha Leader: "Go and find me the strongest, most powerful mage in the province!"
Agartha Recruiter: "Right, go find the biggest, pinkest mage in the province!"
Agartha Leader:" No, the strongest, most powerful mage!"
Agartha Recruiter: "Yep, gotcha, big, pink. On it boss."

The troll on the moose is irrelevant to the quip but I included it because it's a troll on a moose.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Ramc posted:

that's real good advice

start closer to the thrones geez do I have to play this game for you?

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

PurpleXVI posted:

At this point I've talked with Ermor and have no idea what the apes are up to, so I'm just puttering around and planning to steal Ubar while everyone else is busy with Ermor. I figure there's still plenty of time to the big reckoning.

That's the majesty of the thrones. They allow for a number of Audacious Plans. I'm sure the players appreciate winning not requiring like 20 turns of managing godawful amounts of crap. As a spectator knowing the game could end within a few turns really adds to the suspense, and I appreciate LPs ending before they're abandoned or turned into various riffs on the same Titan/SC/Communion hellwar. And watching someone trying to take the requisite thrones, or prevent said occurrence, is considerably more entertaining than watching someone trying to plan and execute wiping out every single other nation.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
That was some good trick.

I appreciate the sacrifice you made in posting this because no player who reads this will ever leave you alone with your books and lightless lanterns again.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

FilthIncarnate posted:

look, i'll be real: i've been playing continuously for five years and right now i'm floating slightly above a 50% career win rate.

so honestly at this point i'd welcome the challenge.

TBQH I was curious about that because the only thing I wasn't a huge fan of in the LP was the degree to which less knowledgeable players were ridiculed. I mean this is SA but the tone felt a little schadenfreudey. But now I can see how frustrating it would be to work as hard as you did in this LP and build a really nice war machine only to fight people that don't even seem to be trying. It must drive you absolutely crazy. And there's no real satisfaction in beating them. It gives you a really poor ROI for your effort.

Are there not games with ranked play where you could assume you'll face reasonably competent opponents? Or is that too small a pool of players? I'm not sure who your peers are, over 50% win rate is insane, especially when playing against people aware of your track record. Although if I were in a game with you I would probably be very disinclined at this point to attack you unless I was part of a dogpile with some very large dogs involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Donkringel posted:

The most important part of being a dominions veteran is having 5 people come at you with rusty knives on turn 8 in order to make sure you don't eat them first. It is the crown of coronation for all big leaguers.

What's funny about Dominions is I think this is metaphor but you could also have 5 people literally coming at you with rusty knives to make sure you don't eat them first, so I can't be sure.

Thanks for the mature reply to 11th hour criticism of a great LP, FI. Great to see you and Ramc becoming ambassadors for the game. Good luck with that.