Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

This hack :allears:

For the castle gate in Ocarina, I think you had to talk to the guard, then fail sneaking outside of the castle, then talk to the guard again to get the chance to bribe him.

Also there was a window on top of the Bombchu Bowling Alley that looked super-breakable when you passed by it, maybe that's how you get the Honeycomb piece?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I really, really want to play this now.

Leamonde
Aug 2, 2012
I admit being a little sad that the castle guard music isn't there, but I think a possible reason the music is different is that there's no need to sneak around this time.

Quackles posted:

I really, really want to play this now.

:same:

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

This hack is really quite good. Doesn't even need a 'for a ROMhack' qualifier, the feel is extremely right for mashing up B-K and Ocarina on counts big and small which is pretty exceptional.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Glad to see that Grunty is channeling some Cia energy in wanting Link.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Does she want to drain his prettiness?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

This hack is really quite good. Doesn't even need a 'for a ROMhack' qualifier, the feel is extremely right for mashing up B-K and Ocarina on counts big and small which is pretty exceptional.

The modder(s) really have nailed the B-K writing style, and the music is impressively on point.

Not sold on how obtuse the notes and jiggies have been, but I suppose it's a reasonable assumption that anyone playing this would be pretty B-K obsessed.

quiznossubs92
Nov 8, 2010
So I ended up taking the weekend and trying out this hack. I think I'm around 80% done.

There's quite a bit of content, and as others have said the music and writing both really shine. That being said, there are definitely annoyances. It's not especially hard to die on some obstacles, which is absolutely brutal with the resetting note score. Luckily, falling into most bottomless pits doesn't actually kill you, it takes you back to the beginning of a level. Depending on where you were in the level, this can be moderately annoying as levels are usually pretty large. As far as obtuse notes/jiggies go, I've managed to find everything so far, but it's definitely a hunt.

Level design has been pretty good overall too, with one notable exception, though it may just not be my cup of tea.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

I'm one of the few people who actually prefer the first game's note mechanics and am sad they got changed for the sequel and the remake. Maybe it's just nostalgia but for me it definitely made it more of a satisfying achievement to really excel at a world and get that hundo.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

This game is amazing, but there are a few pain points later on.

• Tricky platforming challenges like this
• Heavy (perhaps too heavy) use of whipcrack vines and clouds of bees (which interrupt Banjo's moves and can only be killed with the Wonderwing)
• A few bottomless pits in some particularly obnoxious sections - which can make you lose an entire level's notes.

May I recommend busting out the save states? Just in case. (I did.)

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Assuming the mod is finished, I think you can make a reasonable guess about the worlds.

B-K and B-T both had a total of 100 jiggies, 10 jiggies per world.

Ocarina's main dungeons were:

Deku Tree
Dodongo Cavern
Jabu-Jabu's Belly
Forest Temple
Fire Temple
Water Temple
Shadow Temple
Spirit Temple
Ganondorf's Castle

That's 9 dungeons, and we've already seen that Hyrule Castle/Town is a world in this mod.

So those might be the worlds in this game, particularly if you assume that the overworld in this mod doesn't have jiggies like the overworld in B-K did (no sign of witch switches). Given that Kokiri Forest was part of the Deku Tree in this game's setup, I'd also assume we might see things like the Goron city being part of the Dodongo Cavern world and Zora's Domain being part of the Jabu-Jabu world.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Sure but that skips over:

Gerudo Valley/Fortress
Kakariko Village/Graveyard/Bottom of Well
Death Mountain Trail/Goron City
Zora's River/Domain/Fountain/Ice Cavern
Lake Hylia/Fishing Pond
Lon Lon Ranch

I'm expecting no Adult Link temple content (since without Ganondorf getting into the Sacred Realm they won't be a factor) and also no Ganon's Castle for the same reason.

I'm prepared to be proved wrong, though!

I'm also very interested to see if there are any boss battles or if it's a pure collectathon.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

No Grip Grab until Gruntilda's Mask, sadly.

(I have no idea if that will ever be a thing, but I hope so.)

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Quantum Toast posted:

No Grip Grab until Gruntilda's Mask, sadly.

(I have no idea if that will ever be a thing, but I hope so.)

It already is, alas, it was basically a tech demo for this game and only had clock town, if I recall.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Are evil Jiggies unique to this game?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

White Coke posted:

Are evil Jiggies unique to this game?

I believe that's a reskinned version of another enemy, specifically Flotsam (the animated life ring) from Rusty Bucket Bay.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Quackles posted:

I believe that's a reskinned version of another enemy, specifically Flotsam (the animated life ring) from Rusty Bucket Bay.

I did wonder about that death sound of theirs.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
This mod is pretty neat, I'm enjoying watching it.

Since you brought up Tooie's levels in the Hyrule Castle video I was thinking about that a while back, and I think Kazooie aged much better due to the levels being much smaller and thus just feeling like there were secrets everywhere. Most of the levels had a central feature (pirate ship, giant tree, mansion) with stuff surrounding it which also made the levels fairly easy to find your way around in.

Tooie's levels on the other hand are huge and a lot of it is just wasted space, there's a lot of emptiness where you're just walking to get to a thing in the distance, and since there isn't a central focus in most worlds (besides Witchyworld) it's hard to remember where things are. At least for me, I couldn't tell you where the hell anything is in the dinosaur world even after playing it multiple times.

And yeah, Tooie had a lot of bullshit like "open three train stations and then use Mumbo to transport a sick dinosaur two worlds over" which took a ton of time and was just tedious. Not being able to finish worlds in one trip hurt too which you mentioned, since every level except one (well two, but you choose which one of the two) in Kazooie can be fully completed on your first trip.

Melaneus
Aug 24, 2007

Here to make your dreams and nightmares come true.

Twelve by Pies posted:

And yeah, Tooie had a lot of bullshit like "open three train stations and then use Mumbo to transport a sick dinosaur two worlds over" which took a ton of time and was just tedious. Not being able to finish worlds in one trip hurt too which you mentioned, since every level except one (well two, but you choose which one of the two) in Kazooie can be fully completed on your first trip.

I remember spending a long time in Tooie searching for a way to get up to a ledge with an item in one world, scouring the entire map for a way to get there, only to finally give in and check a walkthrough. I was not happy to find out you get there via a different world entirely. Maybe there was a clue referencing the other world to look in? I can't remember that, only the anger remains.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

That jump. :stare:

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

That Ganondorf scene... :love:

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Oh man, I beat the game on version 1.2. It's good to know that 1.3 is out.

Btw, looking at the patch notes, it seems 1.3 also fixes a few other unfortunate pain points later on, so I do recommend getting it.

But yeah, I'm looking forward to once you find Mumbo in Castle Town. :allears:

Leamonde
Aug 2, 2012

Capfalcon posted:

That Ganondorf scene... :love:

That sent me :allears:

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Quackles posted:

But yeah, I'm looking forward to once you find Mumbo in Castle Town. :allears:

I have a guess as to the transformation: Richard, that lady's dog

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Oh Lord, that platforming. :gonk:

Also, I had a thought: farting eggs into the locks so they hit the actual keyhole, instead of just shooting at the doors.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Dec 10, 2020

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

sebzilla posted:

I have a guess as to the transformation: Richard, that lady's dog

My guess was a bombchu.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Leamonde
Aug 2, 2012

quote:

"We're no strangers to love..."
This game is better than I could have ever imagined :allears:

quote:

Note Gatekeeping
That's pretty rough though

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat
Did you ever climb around the rooftops once you were able to get onto the boxes? That might be where the last notes were if you didn't.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I'm guessing there was nothing off to the left of Hyrule Castle, where in OoT there's a hole with a Sheikah Stone.

Those note counts are kind of rough though, the original Banjo you had a bit of wiggle room for the first couple of doors, it was just the later ones where you needed to get close to all the notes in the levels.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

The last 5 notes are in the Temple of Time 2nd level. There's a hint about how to get there in the dungeons.

Also I admit I loved the Rickroll :allears: If you sit around there long enough, it segues into Robo's theme from Chrono Trigger.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Quackles posted:

The last 5 notes are in the Temple of Time 2nd level. There's a hint about how to get there in the dungeons.

Also I admit I loved the Rickroll :allears: If you sit around there long enough, it segues into Robo's theme from Chrono Trigger.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who heard that similarity before.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Yeah, that was possibly the best use of rickroll I've seen in a game mod. :golfclap:

To be fair it would probably have been a lot worse a couple of years ago when rickroll was absolutely everywhere. These days it's more a nice bit of nostalgia than anything.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Between this, the Master of Time LP that FPZero is doing, and Matt/Michael's OOT Randomizer from Achievement Hunter, it is just a pure shot of serotonin to my brain. I love this content, I am smiling the whole way through. Thank you for doing this, it loving rules

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
Was there anything else in the great fairy fountain or just the honeycombs? You were very quick to get in and out of there without actually having a look around.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Seems to me that Nat is allergic to looking around. Instead, opting to pick the most difficult way to go and being utterly convinced it's the intended path.

And before you say C-up doesn't work: you need to be standing perfectly still and Banjo takes a sec to actually stand still once you let go of the stick. And you can absolutely look around with C-up while transformed.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
It looked like there was something shiny is that little drainage area in the NW corner of Hyrule Field. There's nothing there in the original OoT so I understand not thinking to check it out :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Geemer posted:

Seems to me that Nat is allergic to looking around. Instead, opting to pick the most difficult way to go and being utterly convinced it's the intended path.

There seem to be a lot of Romhacks made for people who know how to break the base game over their knees so that the seemingly impossible route is the intended, and only, one.