Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

White Coke posted:

There seem to be a lot of Romhacks made for people who know how to break the base game over their knees so that the seemingly impossible route is the intended, and only, one.

This one isn't really like that, though. Some jumps are a bit tight, but I wouldn't call it Romhack Hard™.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Geemer posted:

This one isn't really like that, though. Some jumps are a bit tight, but I wouldn't call it Romhack Hard™.

Yet.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I love that the sneakers theme is the race theme.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Bulletstorm did have a gun that shot drills, which you had to aim but could shoot people in the butt with them.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I think I saw a climbable surface on the side of the windmill? The side where the two enemies are hanging out.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Huh, I might have missed that Mumbo token on that side of the windmill.

Looking forward to Death Mountain!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Judging by the notes not being able to carry over, I'm wondering if Death Mountain is actually another part of the overworld and Kakariko Village just has two exits.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
God the ending of that video was satisfying :allears: I'm a little surprised that there are no more new moves in the game though. Obviously I'm not expecting them to code in new animations but I would have thought that there would be more songs to use. We'll see how the Sun's Song works in practice!

Mathwyn
Oct 31, 2012

Ante up.

Only up to Episode 6, but I can't believe no one has taken you to task for your repeated mispronounciation of Hyrule and Skulltula. :colbert:

But more seriously, this is amazing so far, keep it up. :allears:

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Mathwyn posted:

Only up to Episode 6, but I can't believe no one has taken you to task for your repeated mispronounciation of Hyrule and Skulltula. :colbert:

They're English, they mispronounce everything.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

While I know Skulltula is a play on "tarantula" and so the last part is supposed to be pronounced "choola" I will never pronounce Skulltula like that, ever. I also will never pronounce Rayquaza with two long a sounds, which is how you're supposed to pronounce that.

But yeah, congrats on your first world full cleared! I'm still eager to see what's in the chest in Link's house, but that probably won't be for a while. I'm also happy they went with different music on Death Mountain than the Hyrule Field theme that plays in the original game, though they used the regular Dark World theme instead of the Death Mountain/Skull Woods theme. Though that's probably because either he figured the regular DW theme is a big longer and less repetitive to hear for long periods of time, or because the actual theme will get used inside the volcano.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

White Coke posted:

They're English, they mispronounce correctly pronounce everything.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

White Coke posted:

They're English, they mispronounce everything.
What else do you expect from the goofballs who came up with the Great Vowel Shift and can't even pronounce Shakespeare correctly?

Mathwyn
Oct 31, 2012

Ante up.

Look I'm Australian and as big a fan of the queen's english as anyone :britain:, but Hyrule as Hi-rule (Hi as in Hit) is where I draw the line, mate. :colbert:

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011

Mathwyn posted:

Look I'm Australian and as big a fan of the queen's english as anyone :britain:, but Hyrule as Hi-rule (Hi as in Hit) is where I draw the line, mate. :colbert:

Don't act so hy and mighty.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Pretty rich coming from a country that doesn't know how to say pasta.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Which accent has the correct pronunciation? They can’t all be right.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Now with super cool new editing.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Please tell me that you stop jumping into lava pits after this episode. Next time you want to see if something is a bottomless put, maybe try dumping an egg into it?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

C-Euro posted:

Please tell me that you stop jumping into lava pits after this episode. Next time you want to see if something is a bottomless put, maybe try dumping an egg into it?

You know the answer to this question.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Natural 20 posted:

You know the answer to this question.

gently caress

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

If you're playing this on a PC emulator, you might be able to use the netplay function (which runs the game on both computers and shares the input) instead of streaming to Tea. That would avoid video compression problems if it works.

This suggestion, of course, probably comes far too late to be useful.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

And you're still only at 6 jiggies... man, this is getting interesting.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

A lot of these level designs are starting to look really dickish, but then I suspect that's part of the genre (and also typical romhack escalation fare). I'm simultaneously very impressed with the quality and thoroughness of this hack, and very glad I'm not the one playing it. I'm glad at least you guys seem to be enjoying it, because from this end of things it looks miserable.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Putting so much stuff behind a transformation is pretty lousy though, the original game it's like one or two jiggies and maybe a Jinjo or honeycomb at best. But two Jinjos and at least four jigges is pretty ridiculous.

I'm still wondering how you're supposed to get the note on that pointy rock in the middle of the lava.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Explopyro posted:

A lot of these level designs are starting to look really dickish, but then I suspect that's part of the genre (and also typical romhack escalation fare). I'm simultaneously very impressed with the quality and thoroughness of this hack, and very glad I'm not the one playing it. I'm glad at least you guys seem to be enjoying it, because from this end of things it looks miserable.

Agreed. The hack is really impressive and I'm enjoying the LP a lot, but holy gently caress does the game itself look unfun to play.

I think what really stands out is how big these worlds are, to accurately capture the look of Ocarina. B-K was actually fairly compact in design, and even seemingly wide-open areas were usually heavily broken up into discrete areas. This hack has a lot more empty space.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Twelve by Pies posted:

I'm still wondering how you're supposed to get the note on that pointy rock in the middle of the lava.

I think that's from the ladder they discovered in episode 11 but are too shapeshifted to check out.

E: my mistake, read "note" as "jiggy"

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Dec 24, 2020

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

Wow there are a lot of dick moves on part of the designers, the bad camera really hides a lot of stuff.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

A bunch of huts with Dark World music playing, with giant gates sealing it off from the rest of the level?

Sounds like the Village of Outcasts to me.

I'm surprised you got everything in one go, there was a lot of stuff hidden in some real rough locations. I'm also disappointed that the inside of the volcano isn't part of the level, but then I guess the level's already big enough as it is.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Nice job finding all the notes and jiggies in Death Mountain!

A few tips:

• Conserve your golden feathers! You're going to have to do that trick you did with the bees again later on.

• Fun fact: If you update to version 1.3, that steep slope you had to slide down twice becomes climbable with Talon Trot. A number of other pain points are fixed.

Cythereal posted:

Agreed. The hack is really impressive and I'm enjoying the LP a lot, but holy gently caress does the game itself look unfun to play.

It's not unfun, but you have to like exploring and poking your nose everywhere. At the start, each individual world took me about 1 1/2 hours to clear. By the end of the game, that figure had become closer to 2 or 2 1/2 hours.

There were a few obnoxious bits towards the end, notably situations where you can be in trouble if you run out of golden feathers or eggs or Mumbo tokens. I used save states and GS codes to get past a good number of those...

Quackles fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Dec 24, 2020

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

logger posted:

Wow there are a lot of dick moves on part of the designers, the bad camera really hides a lot of stuff.

For what it's worth I think most of what's hidden is actually fine at the moment. The camera's a little difficult to handle sometimes but I'm broadly fine with it and expect that out of a 3D collectathon.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

For a romhack that absolutely does have romhack elements, they're done in a way that compared to the average romhack is nearly user-friendly. It helps a lot that the presentation is very good and incredibly spot-on, which is not at all what I'm accustomed to seeing from other romhacks, but also the challenges are generally focused on being observant and doing tight platforming rather than being pixel and frame-perfect or knowing all the arcane glitches. Even if I'd have to use savestates still, I've yet to see anything that's unplayable without tool assistance the way romhacks made for romhackers can be.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Wow, congrats on getting the ice slide thing and the bees at the top of that Talon Trot ramp in one try! In the latter case, I kept getting interrupted before I could go into Wonderwing and the bees killed me. (The 1.3 patch removes them.)

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Did you know those bees do not let up, the baby dodongo can't outrun them AND they just straight up merc you while you're desperately trying to get Brentilda to heal you? Patching to version 1.3 is really a big up in quality of life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I love Dragon Roost Island, but I can accept it's overrepresented. Wind Waker only gets three tracks in Smash and Dragon Roost is one of them, and they also used Dragon Roost for Hyrule Warriors. Though to be fair, yeah, Dragon Roost is one of the only songs I can immediately remember from Wind Waker, the others being Outset, Molgera, and the Great Sea.

For some reason Ocarina of Time has the most memorable soundtrack for me. I don't know if it's just that I've played it more than the others or if it really is just stronger tunes. I feel like some of the later Zeldas went for slightly more atmospheric music when the technology to do that kind of music was more advanced, and that might be why it's less memorable.