Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

The "no fall damage" trick is ground pounding then falling off in the post-ground-pound-backflip, not just doing a backflip (these all have official names but I'll be hosed if I can remember them) and it is not patched out in this hack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Looks like you got teleported to Mario Circuit 2 from the original Super Mario Kart at the end there. That brings back some memories from when I had an SNES, 150cc was stupid hard without a friend to defend against the frenzied AI.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Bird Cliff loving sucks and Mark Kurko should feel bad about adding it to his hack.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I think the idea with Bird Cliff is that you're supposed to only dodge the birds (there is enough time to go past them if you wait for them to do the 3-snap and go quickly afterwards, I think).

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
This goddamn romhack.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
That last egg shot was loving incredible.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Leamonde
Aug 2, 2012
How can something be so awesome and so awful at the same time?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Nice job so far!

For the tenth jiggy, check the large pipe just by Jabu-Jabu's tail. If you could somehow destroy the Whipcrack on top...

For the green Jinjo, don't overthink it. Stand to the right of the pipe, then jump as hard as you can. It may take many tries.

I've recorded a video on how to get the Jinjo, though it took me about ten more tries than are shown.

Quackles fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Dec 31, 2020

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jan 2, 2021

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Wow, nice job with the high dive! I admit I just used save states :sweatdrop:

I'm just going to make a note that there's still a Mumbo Token in that pipe in Zora's Domain, just in case you need it later.

And yeah, Lake Hylia and the Water Temple is meant to be the 7th level, not the 6th.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Quackles posted:

Wow, nice job with the high dive! I admit I just used save states :sweatdrop:

I'm just going to make a note that there's still a Mumbo Token in that pipe in Zora's Domain, just in case you need it later.

And yeah, Lake Hylia and the Water Temple is meant to be the 7th level, not the 6th.

We actually managed to grab that one! It just got cut because it was part of the 5 minutes of excruciating attempts to get into the pipe.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Natural 20 posted:

We actually managed to grab that one! It just got cut because it was part of the 5 minutes of excruciating attempts to get into the pipe.

Get Into the Pipe, Banjo: Let's Play Banjo-Kazooie: The Jiggies of Time :v:

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
That timer was bullshit and so is the ferris wheel. This is the point at which the hack goes from "Oh this is neat, it looks like a fun diversion" to "gently caress this garbage poo poo and the guy who made it" if I was the one playing it. Seriously what is the obsession mod creators have with down to the nanosecond timing and unnecessarily precision platforming?

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Twelve by Pies posted:

Seriously what is the obsession mod creators have with down to the nanosecond timing and unnecessarily precision platforming?

They're making their mods for an audience that's been playing the game for decades.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

White Coke posted:

They're making their mods for an audience that's been playing the game for decades.

And that they've tested a lot. (hopefully)

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Nice job with the climbing tower! There's another Mumbo Token hidden in the upper left corner.

Regarding the race, it turns out jumping while using the running shoes (not counting the trick where you can keep them longer) slows you down just a hair. So it's best to run all the way. (I had to figure this out to get the Mario Kart jiggy.)
Seriously, though, Mark should add, like, 3 seconds to his timers.

The ferris wheel jump with the Running Shoes is wack, and it's a pity the wheel is subject to the alpha bug. (The struts of the ferris wheel are being treated as having a transparent window between them - but the layers for alpha are... drawn out of order or something. So Banjo and Kazooie are covered up by the window. I'm not a graphics expert.) So yeah, bleh. I used savestates for that.

Also, don't forget the Mumbo Token on the roof of Brentilda's tent!

...I'm sorry if the Mumbo Token signposting is getting annoying. I'm just trying to save you a certain annoyance where I didn't have enough later on.

Quackles fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jan 7, 2021

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

That ferris wheel seems like it'd be reasonable enough without the graphical glitch (and maybe one more jump pad near the top).

That timer door closing two seconds early is pretty absurd, though. I wonder if the original object in BK did something similar.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Quantum Toast posted:

That ferris wheel seems like it'd be reasonable enough without the graphical glitch (and maybe one more jump pad near the top).

That timer door closing two seconds early is pretty absurd, though. I wonder if the original object in BK did something similar.

I think that door is one of the pyramid doors in Gobi's Valley... and I suspect it's easier to get through when the door is vertical, rather than horizontal.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Quackles posted:

I think that door is one of the pyramid doors in Gobi's Valley... and I suspect it's easier to get through when the door is vertical, rather than horizontal.
Gobi's Valley sounds right, yeah. And I agree it might be an "existing thing used differently doesn't quite work right" issue.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
There was also the horizontal door in Gobi's Valley that worked the same way - get the speed boots, hit the switch, waste a few seconds on the cutscene, run up the spiraling pyramid, and then find yourself standing on the closing door with seconds left on the timer.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Nidoking posted:

There was also the horizontal door in Gobi's Valley that worked the same way - get the speed boots, hit the switch, waste a few seconds on the cutscene, run up the spiraling pyramid, and then find yourself standing on the closing door with seconds left on the timer.

Yeah this is exactly what the Lon Lon Ranch Jiggy is based on.

I don't mind the speed shoes part too much. It only took a few attempts to get right and just required me to have a little think about how to get more out of the shoes. It's much better than the hell that was Mario Kart or the Ferris wheel for sure.

I can't hate the mod too much for these things really. Reasonably all of them have taken around 5-10 minutes for me to figure out which is fine. I remember, as a kid, spending far longer trying to beat Mr. Vile 3.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Twelve by Pies posted:

Seriously what is the obsession mod creators have with down to the nanosecond timing and unnecessarily precision platforming?

I was asking this same question in FPZero's Master of Time (OoT romhack) thread. So many gaps that are exactly as long as your jump/Hookshot range. Maybe it's refreshing if you've spent decades playing the game but to an outside observer it just looks annoying to be forced into such precision all the time.

CandyCrazy
Oct 20, 2012

If I had to guess, I'd say that most modders are probably their own playtesters, so they become far more familiar with and skilled at their mods than most people would be, thereby losing a sense of scale on what the difficulty is actually like. It's easy to forget pixel perfection isn't easy when you can do it every time yourself.

I remember when I made Mario Maker levels, I would feel like they were too easy, but when I had a friend try them out, they'd have more trouble than I expected.

CandyCrazy fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jan 5, 2021

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Imagine putting a bad invisible maze in your romhack, then putting another bad invisible maze in your next romhack and having a character say "wow this is so lazy!" instead of just... not putting bad invisible mazes in your romhacks

The big feather isn't double feathers, it's a refill, you start with a max of 20 in this hack. Also :ssh: there's more to find in the area you got the big feather

The forest temple in this hack is really interesting and unique and I can't wait for you to either have great fun or absolutely hate it :v:

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

And. They'll love it and hate it.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

The forest temple in this hack is so good.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Quackles posted:

And. They'll love it and hate it.

That's my relationship with the OoT Forest Temple anyway

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
Huge :hfive: to Tea for also taking time to draw up Zelda dungeon maps as a child. I'm sure if I looked hard enough I could find the old maps I drew for "Zelda V" back when Link's Awakening was the newest one. :v:

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Echoing the chorus of voices saying that the fanservice is incredible, but the gameplay itself looks like a total pain in the rear end. My favorite section of the game so far is the conversations in Lon Lon Ranch, while my most hated has to be that shooting range in Zora's Domain, which just seems like an unnecessary ammo sink.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Geemer posted:

The forest temple in this hack is so good.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Oh this is going to be a trip isn't it

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Well, this is certainly a change of pace. It's not a Zelda game without puzzle segments, after all.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Anyone else notice that Lost Woods room was the Outset Island forest from Wind Waker? :allears:

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

Quantum Toast posted:

Anyone else notice that Lost Woods room was the Outset Island forest from Wind Waker? :allears:

I definitely noticed a similarity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

This is going to be fun. :allears: