Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
I looked up the solution for that waterfall surface on another VLP out of curiosity. Don't know if this fits with the solution posted earlier but...

You can apparently gain some small amount of mileage by walking on the waterfall some steps after doing the talon trot jump without immediately falling down like you'd expect on a waterfall, to get higher than you were doing normally by doing the talon trot jump alone, and then again repeating the same trick walking just a bit after doing a second talon trot jump. I know I probably didn't explain that very well, so if anyone is curious, (and if this is upstaging y'all's LP, let me know and I'll remove it), here's the VLP in question, go to 43:34 for a visual demonstration. Needless to say that he proceeds to continue with the rest of the area after getting access to the door, so if you're worried about spoiling the upcoming area and want to go in fresh, close it out as soon as you're done.

Shitenshi fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jan 26, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

I noticed the high score in the arcade DK area is 060588, anyone know if that's a reference to something? I assume it's a date but I'm not sure what of.

For why the modder picked Kazooie over Tooie, I would imagine that there's an existing editor and far more documentation for Kazooie than Tooie.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Glad I was right, but as I was watching I was hoping it wouldn't work

Procrastine posted:

I noticed the high score in the arcade DK area is 060588, anyone know if that's a reference to something? I assume it's a date but I'm not sure what of.

Given it's older than the game, modder's birthday?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Niiice.

One thing I think the game doesn't signpost properly is that on that path of stone columns, the bottom-most stone has a hidden switch on it. There's probably a hint for that, but I never found it.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Quackles posted:

Niiice.

One thing I think the game doesn't signpost properly is that on that path of stone columns, the bottom-most stone has a hidden switch on it. There's probably a hint for that, but I never found it.

There's a forest-temple-esque screenshot hint somewhere, I want to say in the carpenters' tent? iirc it's in a corner where the camera doesn't point unless you go in first-person

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Quackles posted:

Niiice.

Brentilda tells you to check out what Procrastine said.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Geemer posted:

Brentilda tells you to check out what Procrastine said.

Yeah, I looked around in there and still didn't find it '^_^

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Quackles posted:

Yeah, I looked around in there and still didn't find it '^_^

Not gonna lie, it took me forever to find as well.

quiznossubs92
Nov 8, 2010
I remember hating Gerudo for how many gold feathers it forces you to have, over and over again.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

quiznossubs92 posted:

I remember hating Gerudo for how many gold feathers it forces you to have, over and over again.

Yeah, there's a certain bit with some bees we haven't seen yet that I found really really obnoxious and unfortunate. I'll mention it when it shows up in the video.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
As far as I can tell, Banjo-Tooie is harder to mod than Banjo-Kazooie, which is why BK has several mods of note while BT doesn't.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

The music is Dancing Dragon Dungeon, from Oracle of Seasons. I was not expecting that one.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

The only thing that can damage Nintendium is Mario Party.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Wow, nice job on having enough gold feathers when you got to bee-guarded Shock Jump pad! When I played, I had run out of gold feathers and had also used up all the ones in the level.

I refused to exit the level and lose all my notes (you have to get to Mumbo's by riding that carpet, and some notes are only available either while transformed or once you've done stuff while transformed), so I ended up GameSharking in more gold feathers instead.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I wish I was as confident with anything as Nat is with his shot placement. Am I lined up properly? gently caress if I know, but I'm just going to dump three eggs as if I'm right on the money.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Still getting caught up but I just wanted to say I'm enjoying this thoroughly. I only ever play Banjo-kazooie for a few minutes, possibly at a mcdonald's, but I might have to use it as a reason to pick up an N64 flash cart.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Also I just remembered that I have seen the Gulf War Game Boy with my own eyes and it does indeed still work somehow. It's at the Nintendo Store in New York City, I was there a few years ago and I thought I took a picture but it's not on my phone.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

C-Euro posted:

Also I just remembered that I have seen the Gulf War Game Boy with my own eyes and it does indeed still work somehow. It's at the Nintendo Store in New York City, I was there a few years ago and I thought I took a picture but it's not on my phone.
Here's an article about it: https://www.esquire.com/lifestyle/a27183316/nintendo-game-boy-survived-gulf-war

I haven't seen it myself, but as someone who grew up in the 90s with three younger siblings and a house full of Nintendo products, none of which ever broke, I can believe it.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

So around 4:40, you grab a note behind the statue. Imagine if you missed that note, and at 99 notes had to scour the entire level repeatedly hopelessly searching for the last note before giving up and looking up a guide. Wouldn't that be fun? Purely hypothetical, this definitely didn't happen to me.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
I loved the closing words to this one: "Yeah s' s' s'all right".

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

The mysterious text on the wall says, WE WANT BANJO-THREEIE.

The actual hints are on those two snake statues, and at least one regards the spirit temple statue (which you already did), so...

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Maybe the mystery Banjo game case was Banjo-Threeie? It's a Gamecube case and there weren't any Banjo games on that system (not even a spinoff) so it has to be a made up game, and that's the easiest one to assume.

I love the Spirit Temple music so I was looking forward to the Banjo version of it, and it's alright. It doesn't quite hit that one high note, and of course the echo effect isn't there, but I'm sure those are limitations of the Banjo soundfount and it works fine enough.

And while I don't care much for Mark's level design in some places, I still have to say the writing is spot on and sounds like it could have come from an actual Banjo game.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Procrastine posted:

So around 4:40, you grab a note behind the statue. Imagine if you missed that note, and at 99 notes had to scour the entire level repeatedly hopelessly searching for the last note before giving up and looking up a guide. Wouldn't that be fun? Purely hypothetical, this definitely didn't happen to me.

The 5 notes in Kokiri forest feel your pain.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I have a sneaking suspicion that those skills on pikes outside Mumbo's statue at the colossus are beak bomb targets.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I've found that the author usually (not always) tends to group notes in clumps of 5. So, a good rule of thumb is, when you're getting the notes from a location, "Did I just grab 5 notes from right around here?"

Of course, that does require you to be paying attention to distribution each and every time you collect notes, and it occasionally doesn't hold. So it's a bit of an ask.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Natural 20 posted:

The 5 notes in Kokiri forest feel your pain.

If you're still stuck on these they were on top of the house by the Kokiri Sword tunnel. You couldn't see them from the other high points because of draw distance.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Tea what was your Korean takeout order?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

So, remember how Brentilda said there's a hint in the green tent as to the flight pad switch?

It took some doing, but I finally found it.

Here is Banjo in the back of the tent. If we go into first person mode...

...the hint is behind the crate!

I didn't find that even though I combed the game world really carefully. (I also didn't notice there was a boulder enemy at the top of the waterfall even though I was up there as the broom a lot.)

I give this one a verdict of Hey, That's Not Fair.

Also, to get deeper into the Temple of Time, some of the columns can be climbed. There's a hint to this in the dungeon, I think.

Quackles fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Feb 4, 2021

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

hosed up that you edited out the actual hitting of the switch

The hint for the flight switch is in the tent, hidden between one of the crates (the one that doesn't have the 3ds) and the wall. I feel like if you've hidden something so well that even with an explicit "look in this area" hint people still can't find it, you might have hidden it too well! (I also did not find it myself)

For the temple of time here's a slight hint: There's an in-game hint ~somewhere~ in the town world. Bigger hint if you don't want to scour the whole level (and who could blame you really) : In the castle dungeons, I forget where exactly

edit: gently caress, beaten

Melaneus
Aug 24, 2007

Here to make your dreams and nightmares come true.
After 25 minutes even the game wanted to kill itself...

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

This one was the first hidden stage I found and I absolutely love the design. The jiggies are kinda too well hidden in the hidden stages, if you ask me.
I had to resort to the museum's final hints to find any of them. :negative:

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Geemer posted:

This one was the first hidden stage I found and I absolutely love the design. The jiggies are kinda too well hidden in the hidden stages, if you ask me.
I had to resort to the museum's final hints to find any of them. :negative:

Pretty much exactly this. I do love the hidden stages. My first was actually the one they haven't yet showed, and my reaction was, "Who MADE this?!" in the same way that that Don't Eat the Mushroom LPer does.

Jabbering Idiot
Jun 5, 2013
Hello, hello, Nat and Yorkshire Tea!

I am once again lurking in your thread and have been immensely enjoying this comfort-food of a mod. Echoing sentiments that, between the writing, music and secret areas, Mr. Kurko has done a tremendous job in capturing the spirit of a Banjo Kazooie game, even if sometimes the levels are a bit long or spread out, and the occasional too-obscure puzzle.

Speaking of, I'm commenting to suggest something for the Water Temple Jiggy up that ramp.

It's been a while since I've played either Banjo Kazooie and this is a long shot since I think the modder has mostly avoided using little gameplay quirks as his solutions to things, but I don't think you tried flip-flap jumping onto the ramp and then talon-trotting on landing for the 2nd jump, which I THINK is possible to do? It might get you the extra height you need.

'Course, I might be misremembering if that's a thing and I can't be arsed to check because I'm mostly here to say

GOOD JOB, GUYS, KEEP GOING!

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GA3H8Ws8b3Q

The original track if you've not heard it. Loses a bit when not paired with a huge, ruined castle and giant spider robots, but still well worth a listen.