Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
It's weird, I could have sworn I saw a breakable door inside of that cupboard. Also, the mod maker did a great job on this level, it really looks the part for a banjo kazooie level.

Edit: Update on bottom of previous page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Fun fact: Groggy doesn't appear until you've spoken to Brentilda. Until then, the chair'll be empty. I have no idea how Kurko did that.

Bonus fun fact: The other sign on the wall in the Shrine bonus level reads KURKO MODS

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

So is this transformation reusing something like the bomb bag, or is there another transformation I'm forgetting?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

thecluckmeme posted:

So is this transformation reusing something like the bomb bag, or is there another transformation I'm forgetting?

It's the walrus.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Just watched the ep. Nice job!

You did get the notes on the other side of the castle, right?

Also, cool on getting the washing machine twice. I didn't get it at all...

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Jesus christ was that stressful to watch.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Quackles posted:

It's the walrus.

After watching this last video, I know the walrus was left, but I think this is actually the ant, but as a slushie. Unless the Walrus also had an incredibly good wall-climbing ability.

E: Actually, do any of the normal transformations have any kind of noticeable movement speed outside of a single use? The ant has vertical climbing, the walrus can go into chilly water, the gator has a chomp button, the bee can fly like BK, but they all move at a similar pace and size when on ground. Maybe BK transformations have a foundation that can be built off of, and variables can be applied? So "supercold water + talon trot vertical scaling" are just toggles?

bawk fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Feb 13, 2021

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

thecluckmeme posted:

After watching this last video, I know the walrus was left, but I think this is actually the ant, but as a slushie. Unless the Walrus also had an incredibly good wall-climbing ability.

It's definitely the walrus, because it can survive in the freezing cold water. I think I read that all the transformations can handle steep slopes natively.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I didn't know you could attack the Twinkly Munchers normally either, I also always beak busted them. I'm with Nat on this, the fact they come out of the ground does in a sense imply that you're supposed to use that move on them.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

That section underwater with the crabs has to be one of the worst designed parts of the hack.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Twelve by Pies posted:

I didn't know you could attack the Twinkly Munchers normally either, I also always beak busted them. I'm with Nat on this, the fact they come out of the ground does in a sense imply that you're supposed to use that move on them.

I've always thought ground pounding attacks are for enemies with shells or other tough exteriors. If they pop out of the ground then you attack them normally unless they duck back under, then you need ranged attacks, or stealth, or maybe ground pounds.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I gotta be honest, you guys should be a little more liberal with your backtracking cuts. Especially because the maps in this game are so big. But I guess we're done with backtracking now so I don't know why I waited this long to say it!

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

I was physically flinching for each of those slushy jumps.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

C-Euro posted:

I gotta be honest, you guys should be a little more liberal with your backtracking cuts. Especially because the maps in this game are so big. But I guess we're done with backtracking now so I don't know why I waited this long to say it!

It's a hard choice especially with this kind of game. If I'm honest I agree on this episode, but part of the process of a blind collectathon is this backtracking and I want to show at least some of that or we're skipping over part of the process that makes them interesting to begin with.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

So, what's next? Getting all missing notes and the one missing Honeycomb and Secret Jiggy each?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

And that is it for the main game guys!

I've completed the bonus episode where I hoover up the last collectibles and will have that up when I can a) edit it and b) wrangle Tea for half an hour. Work is being quite trying right now.

Give us a yell about what you thought of the game overall whether you just watched what we got up to or played along yourself. There's a good chance if people had a lot of fun that we might get back and do a mini LP of some of the smaller Kurko mods out there.

As always, a huge thank you to Bifauxnen for doing all our wonderful banners and dealing with my weird colour scheme requests as well as a shoutout to Mark Kurko for what was frankly a pretty incredible mod, all things considered.

As for what's next. Given we're still separated Ogre Battle SNES is going to remain on our back burner.

Whilst we have other options, unless there's significant objection, we're going to go ahead with what Tea promises will be a brilliant LP in Hollow Knight Blind.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Nice job!

Fun fact: If you look at the status screen, the Stop 'n' Swop screen was repurposed to display, 'TRIFORCE'.

I think my top three are Death Mountain, with Grunty's Castle in second place and Zora's Domain a close third (Forest Temple 4th). The game is is a bit obnoxious in parts, but I quite liked it. Well done. :golfclap:

Quackles fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Feb 18, 2021

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Gruntilda being this long difficult fight that uses every ability is one of those things that works better in the vanilla game than in a romhack where the arena also has extra lava to make it harder. Also one of the jinjos being slightly too low because of slopes is absolutely hosed up.

Also, notice how normally there's an egg/feather refill before Grunty and here there's an egg/red feather refill and a couple of golds? In the Majora Banjo mod there are no refills and if you don't use savestates you're stuck wandering around manually refilling your stocks one at a time, it's easily the greatest sin that mod commits.

For level rankings, I'd say Forest Temple is definitely at the top for me (but I'm the rear end in a top hat who likes La-Mulana, so). Looking back, every world besides Forest Temple and maybe Kakariko feels like it's too big? I think Death Mountain is good, if once again Too Big. Gerudo has got to be at the bottom for me, it's the epitome of Too Big syndrome (also that one loving note). I feel like Grunty's Castle might be alright if it wasn't for Banjo-Kazooie's note system losing notes on death, but it does so it's bad. Seriously, gently caress those slushy jumps

If you do decide to LP more Banjo mods, try out Worlds Collide, I had fun with it. Its worlds are all small and compact, which is a refreshing change from this mod making everything Too Big.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
As much as I like Ocarina and Banjo... I did not like this mod. I enjoyed the LP, but not because of the mod. Everything felt far too big, and on the obnoxious end of difficulty with pixel-perfect platforming, resource scarcity, wonderwing bullshit, and how obtuse a lot of this stuff was. I respect the hell out of the effort that went into making this mod, especially the music, but I don't care for the end result.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Feb 18, 2021

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Cythereal posted:

As much as I like Ocarina and Banjo... I did not like this mod. I enjoyed the LP, but not because of the mod. Everything felt far too big, and on the obnoxious end of difficulty with pixel-perfect platforming, resource scarcity, wonderwing bullshit, and how obtuse a lot of this stuff was. I respect the hell out of the effort that went into making this mod, especially the music, but I don't care for the end result.

This is the impression I was left with too (though admittedly I'm not that high on the Banjo games either, I could never really get into them honestly). This looked more tedious than fun and you guys sounded very frustrated a lot of the time.

I'm really impressed with the effort and the aesthetics: Kurko absolutely nailed the writing and dialogue and did a great job reimagining familiar areas in the Banjo textures and so on. It's legitimately a great accomplishment. But it doesn't really feel like they put much thought into what it would be like to experience for the person holding the controller.

I'm glad you guys seem to have enjoyed it and I'm glad to have seen it but that's about the best I can say for it.

Looking forward to the next LP! (if it really is Hollow Knight then hey, I won't be the only one doing a bug game!)

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

The levels being somewhat Too Big is something that didn't bother me near as much as the stupid ROMhack jumps that showed up later. Those and the ways the final fight got changed are just garbage, but larger levels are an understandable trade-off to having a way to fit more stuff in them sensibly.

Forest Temple is really good, not sure about my rankings on the others.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
It's definitely a really neat hack and it looks pretty fun as long as you don't try to 100% it, although as you said there's not a lot of wiggle room for what isn't mandatory since you can only skip 3 jiggies and maybe 15 or 20 notes? As down as I was on a couple of things there definitely is far less romhacky bullshit like pixel perfect jumps or needing to know top level speedrun strats/glitches than other games like this, though I still think there's too much of it. Though as you (and a couple of other people) in the thread said, when you've played the original so much that you can basically do it with your eyes closed, and you're playtesting certain sections repeatedly, you can definitely get a skewed perspective of thinking certain things are too easy when they're actually just about right for casual players.

That said, of course as I've said before the writing is spot on, and overall he did a good job of translating most of Ocarina's world into Banjo levels with some fun twists like the Zelda 1 dungeon part in the Forest Temple and the Hyrule Castle stuff in Castle Town. It also just hit me that the final level, Grunty's Castle, is essentially a completely original level since it isn't really based on anything in OoT. I mean, Ganon's Tower aesthetically but the level itself is nothing like how GT is in OoT. The music was great too with some neat choices like the Dancing Dragon tune in Gerudo Valley.

But I do agree that the levels were a bit too big (I said in this thread that part of the reason I prefer BK to Tooie is that Tooie's levels are far too big compared to BK's more compact levels), especially when you have the original's system of "Lose all your notes when you die" which is definitely some bullshit in places like Grunty's Castle with the slushie jumps.

It's a cool mod even if it's rough in places. I think I'm with everyone else in agreeing that the Forest Temple is probably the best level in the game, though Kakariko Village is pretty good too. I don't think that I'd have had too much fun playing it myself but I enjoyed watching you guys play it.

I always had the toughest time with the Jinjonator part of the Grunty fight too, having it in the middle of a lava moat is just mean.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Cool LP! I think my favorite things were the places where this hack made its own new things rather than just remaking Ocarina of Time levels in the BK engine. Also hearing all of the Zelda music in a Grant Kirkhope style was a delight.

E: I also agree that the levels are too drat big, but I also think that was a problem with the original OoT which I thought felt really empty in spots. Also the precision platforming/requiring very exact knowledge of how the game works, but that's just about every romhack.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Feb 18, 2021

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Not much to say that hasn't been said already.

The Forest Temple was cool for doing genuinely new stuff with the game (and I'm just fond of that kind of mystery thing).

I didn't mind the size of the levels, but then I wasn't the one playing. I also haven't played BK since its original release, so I a) wouldn't be looking to efficiently 100% everything, and b) would probably have been even more annoyed with the romhack pixel-perfect bullshit than you were - especially if that guess about the Water Temple slope is right.

Mostly I'm just impressed by how far N64 hacks have come. I'd be interested to know what sort of tools they used to make this.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Cythereal posted:

Couldn't agree more. The mod is cool as hell and the people responsible deserve a ton of credit, but it looks like actually playing it would be kind of miserable.

Thanks for showing it off, Nat & Tea. It was a fun watch :)

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
To me, the strengths of Banjo-Kazooie's gameplay are in its compact and appealing environments and moderate difficulty. If you were curious and persistent you could find and complete everything in the game, with the notes smoothly guiding you towards content. But the only level in this romhack that gave me that same feeling was Kakariko Village. Every other level feels like it had some aggravating snag that disrupted progression. Overall, its levels are much larger and more dangerous, jumping demands much more precision, and there's awful bee swarm and Whipcrack placement everywhere to stress you out. I get that this is a mod for fans who are very familiar with the game, but I think Kurko overdid it.

Banjo-Kazooie's other strengths are its pleasantly chunky world and character design, distinctive soundtrack, and silly writing. This romhack looks very nice for an N64 game and uses its OoT assets and custom assets well. The soundtrack and writing are spot on, too. I think Kurko did a terrific job here.

Overall, this looks like a constant seesaw of delight and frustration. If only the map size and difficulty were reined in...

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Walrus Pete posted:

Couldn't agree more. The mod is cool as hell and the people responsible deserve a ton of credit, but it looks like actually playing it would be kind of miserable.
:agreed:

For what it is, this mod is a goddamned achievement and Kurko and friends should be proud. But it definitely feels like a lot of the enjoyment of the mod comes from all the moments where you get a big :haw: grin on your face when you recognize a location or piece of music. I'm not knocking that aspect of the mod either; it really felt like a good 90% of the references to other games were actually cleverly done and not just the game poking you in the side saying "HEY REMEMBER THIS THING? HUH?" Considering how up their own rear end mod creators often go to prove their nerd cred, Jiggies of Time was a pleasant surprise in that regard.

All that said, it does seem like a bit of a slog to actually play. But I do wonder how much of that is really Kurko's fault, as opposed to an inherent problem of what he had to work with. He couldn't add any new mechanics to the game, and there were a lot of places where it felt like he had to somehow mash the mechanics of a particular jiggy from BK into the mod because he couldn't alter the code for it. I also wonder if part of it is just higher standards for modern games. We all love BK here but it did have a ton of flaws that weren't really considered "flaws" at the time, and people who go back to play it nowadays can look past a lot because of nostalgia.

Either way, I loved the hell out of this LP and will happily watch you two yelling at video games in the future. :)

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I just wish Kurko had kept the quiz. The Gruntilda sections could have been replaced with Zelda trivia.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
YouTube recommended this video of the full JoT soundtrack, if anyone else is interested in browsing it-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_SSVTAj4xQ

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Hey everyone! Sorry for the delay in the final bonus episode but it's here now, including the incredible solution to the Water Temple Jiggy!

Tea and I have started up our new LP so I'd ask you to have a look at that when you get a moment!

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Mar 18, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I'm pretty sure the five notes you missed were on the know-it-all brothers' house, directly to the right of the Kokiri training ground.

You simply didn't look in that direction while close enough for the notes to be within draw distance.

Thanks for showing this off this mod and introducing me to it.