Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

About the Game

Banjo Kazooie is a legendary 3D platformer for the Nintendo 64. It has been LP’d countless times by many amazing players. In particular it holds a special place in my own heart as the game the cemented my own friendship with Yorkshire Tea and it remains one of our favourites to replay to this day.

The Legend of Zelda the Ocarina time is a somehow, even more legendary Action Adventure game also released on the Nintendo 64. It needs no introduction and similarly has been played upside down, inside out and in every which way by people around the world.

What more can be said or done with these games? What new take could possibly exist on them in the year 2020?

Mark Kurko is a 32 year old Spanish game modder who began his modding journey all the way back on 2014. He set about making hacks of Banjo Kazooie, a favourite of his, starting with Bob-omb Newfield, a port of the famous Super Mario 64 level to Banjo Kazooie.

This led to an attempt to create the Kokiri Forest for Banjo and Kazooie to explore and this single level spiralled into a six year modding marathon resulting in the creation of this game: The Legend of Banjo Kazooie: The Jiggies of Time.

I was, simply put, amazed when I saw the demos of this game, a combination of the collectathon goodness of Banjo alongside the excellent world and level design of Ocarina of Time, Jiggies of Time straddles two games and two genres that to put simply, Tea and I adore with all our hearts.

So what better game to play with and enjoy in these difficult times? We hope you enjoy the ride with us.

About the LP

Tea and I have played both Banjo Kazooie and Ocarina of Time extensively. We claim to have the world record for the drunkest 100% clear of Banjo Kazooie ever. But of course, we’ve never played this mod and will be paying special attention to the adaptation of Banjo Kazooie gameplay into the world of Zelda. Expect us to be harsh with our criticism but generous with our praise as well.

For the moment, I’ll be taking the wheel as Tea can ill afford to join me at home to record. But suffice to say that when we are able to see each other in person again, Tea will be chomping at the bit to have a go himself. (At which point we'll, in true co-op platforming form, play level by level and life by life.)

Art and banners, will, as ever, be handled by the amazing Bifauxnen.

Episodes:

Useful Links:

The LP Beach Cross Thread - In case you don't feel comfortable posting on the SA forums or need to view this outside of a paywall.

Our Patreon! - In case you want to support our LPs and see episodes early!

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Jul 8, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

C-Euro posted:

I'm absolutely delighted by the OoT music re-done using the Banjo-Kazooie soundfont or whatever. Definitely going to be watching this one.

Do the different save slots in the start menu have different musical tracks like they do in original BK?

Each of the slots has differing versions of the theme you heard. When we get a moment we'll go through them and show them off!

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
We won't be note hunting on screen if we can avoid it. If I have to go back and update high note scores I'll put up a bonus video showing where the notes are but we're *very* aware that searching for 5 notes or whatever on every level would be super boring.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

whitehelm posted:

That actually doesn't matter too much for DK64 because you use bananas to access the bosses and the boss doors only check how many bananas you got in the current level. There's no reason to return to previous levels for a higher banana count.

There is actually! You need bananas for the banana medals for 100% completion.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

White Coke posted:

They're English, they mispronounce correctly pronounce everything.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Now with super cool new editing.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

C-Euro posted:

Please tell me that you stop jumping into lava pits after this episode. Next time you want to see if something is a bottomless put, maybe try dumping an egg into it?

You know the answer to this question.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

logger posted:

Wow there are a lot of dick moves on part of the designers, the bad camera really hides a lot of stuff.

For what it's worth I think most of what's hidden is actually fine at the moment. The camera's a little difficult to handle sometimes but I'm broadly fine with it and expect that out of a 3D collectathon.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jan 2, 2021

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Quackles posted:

Wow, nice job with the high dive! I admit I just used save states :sweatdrop:

I'm just going to make a note that there's still a Mumbo Token in that pipe in Zora's Domain, just in case you need it later.

And yeah, Lake Hylia and the Water Temple is meant to be the 7th level, not the 6th.

We actually managed to grab that one! It just got cut because it was part of the 5 minutes of excruciating attempts to get into the pipe.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Nidoking posted:

There was also the horizontal door in Gobi's Valley that worked the same way - get the speed boots, hit the switch, waste a few seconds on the cutscene, run up the spiraling pyramid, and then find yourself standing on the closing door with seconds left on the timer.

Yeah this is exactly what the Lon Lon Ranch Jiggy is based on.

I don't mind the speed shoes part too much. It only took a few attempts to get right and just required me to have a little think about how to get more out of the shoes. It's much better than the hell that was Mario Kart or the Ferris wheel for sure.

I can't hate the mod too much for these things really. Reasonably all of them have taken around 5-10 minutes for me to figure out which is fine. I remember, as a kid, spending far longer trying to beat Mr. Vile 3.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Competition!

So we've got a competition for everyone!

Just for fun, if you've not played past this point in the mod, put down the solution you think is correct for the puzzle we couldn't solve.

I'll experiment with all of the suggested ideas and we'll give a shoutout to the first person who solves the puzzle in a future episode.

This is on an honour system so please please don't answer if you already know the solution!

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jan 19, 2021

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Competition 2 - Electric Waterloo

So competition time again! We couldn't find our way to the final jiggy in the water temple.

If you haven't played the game before and think you have a solution then please write it down here and if you guess correctly first you'll get a shoutout when we go back to get the jiggy!

Thanks and good luck!

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Procrastine posted:

So around 4:40, you grab a note behind the statue. Imagine if you missed that note, and at 99 notes had to scour the entire level repeatedly hopelessly searching for the last note before giving up and looking up a guide. Wouldn't that be fun? Purely hypothetical, this definitely didn't happen to me.

The 5 notes in Kokiri forest feel your pain.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.