Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

The "no fall damage" trick is ground pounding then falling off in the post-ground-pound-backflip, not just doing a backflip (these all have official names but I'll be hosed if I can remember them) and it is not patched out in this hack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Imagine putting a bad invisible maze in your romhack, then putting another bad invisible maze in your next romhack and having a character say "wow this is so lazy!" instead of just... not putting bad invisible mazes in your romhacks

The big feather isn't double feathers, it's a refill, you start with a max of 20 in this hack. Also :ssh: there's more to find in the area you got the big feather

The forest temple in this hack is really interesting and unique and I can't wait for you to either have great fun or absolutely hate it :v:

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

I'm not ashamed to say I looked up the intended solution for the slope room when I played this. It involves knowing about a weird quirk of steep surfaces where starting a backflip quickly after landing lets you jump off without sliding, which lets you get a bit more height than Talon Trot jumping and barely reach the ledges. Very well telegraphed, thanks Kurko

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

I noticed the high score in the arcade DK area is 060588, anyone know if that's a reference to something? I assume it's a date but I'm not sure what of.

For why the modder picked Kazooie over Tooie, I would imagine that there's an existing editor and far more documentation for Kazooie than Tooie.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Quackles posted:

Niiice.

One thing I think the game doesn't signpost properly is that on that path of stone columns, the bottom-most stone has a hidden switch on it. There's probably a hint for that, but I never found it.

There's a forest-temple-esque screenshot hint somewhere, I want to say in the carpenters' tent? iirc it's in a corner where the camera doesn't point unless you go in first-person

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

So around 4:40, you grab a note behind the statue. Imagine if you missed that note, and at 99 notes had to scour the entire level repeatedly hopelessly searching for the last note before giving up and looking up a guide. Wouldn't that be fun? Purely hypothetical, this definitely didn't happen to me.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

hosed up that you edited out the actual hitting of the switch

The hint for the flight switch is in the tent, hidden between one of the crates (the one that doesn't have the 3ds) and the wall. I feel like if you've hidden something so well that even with an explicit "look in this area" hint people still can't find it, you might have hidden it too well! (I also did not find it myself)

For the temple of time here's a slight hint: There's an in-game hint ~somewhere~ in the town world. Bigger hint if you don't want to scour the whole level (and who could blame you really) : In the castle dungeons, I forget where exactly

edit: gently caress, beaten

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Gruntilda being this long difficult fight that uses every ability is one of those things that works better in the vanilla game than in a romhack where the arena also has extra lava to make it harder. Also one of the jinjos being slightly too low because of slopes is absolutely hosed up.

Also, notice how normally there's an egg/feather refill before Grunty and here there's an egg/red feather refill and a couple of golds? In the Majora Banjo mod there are no refills and if you don't use savestates you're stuck wandering around manually refilling your stocks one at a time, it's easily the greatest sin that mod commits.

For level rankings, I'd say Forest Temple is definitely at the top for me (but I'm the rear end in a top hat who likes La-Mulana, so). Looking back, every world besides Forest Temple and maybe Kakariko feels like it's too big? I think Death Mountain is good, if once again Too Big. Gerudo has got to be at the bottom for me, it's the epitome of Too Big syndrome (also that one loving note). I feel like Grunty's Castle might be alright if it wasn't for Banjo-Kazooie's note system losing notes on death, but it does so it's bad. Seriously, gently caress those slushy jumps

If you do decide to LP more Banjo mods, try out Worlds Collide, I had fun with it. Its worlds are all small and compact, which is a refreshing change from this mod making everything Too Big.