Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
This mod is pretty neat, I'm enjoying watching it.

Since you brought up Tooie's levels in the Hyrule Castle video I was thinking about that a while back, and I think Kazooie aged much better due to the levels being much smaller and thus just feeling like there were secrets everywhere. Most of the levels had a central feature (pirate ship, giant tree, mansion) with stuff surrounding it which also made the levels fairly easy to find your way around in.

Tooie's levels on the other hand are huge and a lot of it is just wasted space, there's a lot of emptiness where you're just walking to get to a thing in the distance, and since there isn't a central focus in most worlds (besides Witchyworld) it's hard to remember where things are. At least for me, I couldn't tell you where the hell anything is in the dinosaur world even after playing it multiple times.

And yeah, Tooie had a lot of bullshit like "open three train stations and then use Mumbo to transport a sick dinosaur two worlds over" which took a ton of time and was just tedious. Not being able to finish worlds in one trip hurt too which you mentioned, since every level except one (well two, but you choose which one of the two) in Kazooie can be fully completed on your first trip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I'm guessing there was nothing off to the left of Hyrule Castle, where in OoT there's a hole with a Sheikah Stone.

Those note counts are kind of rough though, the original Banjo you had a bit of wiggle room for the first couple of doors, it was just the later ones where you needed to get close to all the notes in the levels.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I love that the sneakers theme is the race theme.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

While I know Skulltula is a play on "tarantula" and so the last part is supposed to be pronounced "choola" I will never pronounce Skulltula like that, ever. I also will never pronounce Rayquaza with two long a sounds, which is how you're supposed to pronounce that.

But yeah, congrats on your first world full cleared! I'm still eager to see what's in the chest in Link's house, but that probably won't be for a while. I'm also happy they went with different music on Death Mountain than the Hyrule Field theme that plays in the original game, though they used the regular Dark World theme instead of the Death Mountain/Skull Woods theme. Though that's probably because either he figured the regular DW theme is a big longer and less repetitive to hear for long periods of time, or because the actual theme will get used inside the volcano.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Putting so much stuff behind a transformation is pretty lousy though, the original game it's like one or two jiggies and maybe a Jinjo or honeycomb at best. But two Jinjos and at least four jigges is pretty ridiculous.

I'm still wondering how you're supposed to get the note on that pointy rock in the middle of the lava.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

A bunch of huts with Dark World music playing, with giant gates sealing it off from the rest of the level?

Sounds like the Village of Outcasts to me.

I'm surprised you got everything in one go, there was a lot of stuff hidden in some real rough locations. I'm also disappointed that the inside of the volcano isn't part of the level, but then I guess the level's already big enough as it is.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I love Dragon Roost Island, but I can accept it's overrepresented. Wind Waker only gets three tracks in Smash and Dragon Roost is one of them, and they also used Dragon Roost for Hyrule Warriors. Though to be fair, yeah, Dragon Roost is one of the only songs I can immediately remember from Wind Waker, the others being Outset, Molgera, and the Great Sea.

For some reason Ocarina of Time has the most memorable soundtrack for me. I don't know if it's just that I've played it more than the others or if it really is just stronger tunes. I feel like some of the later Zeldas went for slightly more atmospheric music when the technology to do that kind of music was more advanced, and that might be why it's less memorable.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

That last egg shot was loving incredible.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

That timer was bullshit and so is the ferris wheel. This is the point at which the hack goes from "Oh this is neat, it looks like a fun diversion" to "gently caress this garbage poo poo and the guy who made it" if I was the one playing it. Seriously what is the obsession mod creators have with down to the nanosecond timing and unnecessarily precision platforming?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Hell, most fighting/sports games on the SNES cost 70 bucks in the US, and that was in the early 90s. Most SNES games were around 60 though, I remember saving up 60 bucks of my own money to buy Mega Man X2.

I recognized the Twilight Princess Hyrule Field track in the fishing pond, but I would never have remembered the TP Lake Hylia music. Even after knowing what it is I can't remember it. I also barely remember any enemy names from Banjo Kazooie. I know they're in the credits but I don't think I ever paid any attention to them. The only ones I know of are Snacker, and Grublin Hood because that was a silly name.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Maybe the mystery Banjo game case was Banjo-Threeie? It's a Gamecube case and there weren't any Banjo games on that system (not even a spinoff) so it has to be a made up game, and that's the easiest one to assume.

I love the Spirit Temple music so I was looking forward to the Banjo version of it, and it's alright. It doesn't quite hit that one high note, and of course the echo effect isn't there, but I'm sure those are limitations of the Banjo soundfount and it works fine enough.

And while I don't care much for Mark's level design in some places, I still have to say the writing is spot on and sounds like it could have come from an actual Banjo game.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I didn't know you could attack the Twinkly Munchers normally either, I also always beak busted them. I'm with Nat on this, the fact they come out of the ground does in a sense imply that you're supposed to use that move on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

It's definitely a really neat hack and it looks pretty fun as long as you don't try to 100% it, although as you said there's not a lot of wiggle room for what isn't mandatory since you can only skip 3 jiggies and maybe 15 or 20 notes? As down as I was on a couple of things there definitely is far less romhacky bullshit like pixel perfect jumps or needing to know top level speedrun strats/glitches than other games like this, though I still think there's too much of it. Though as you (and a couple of other people) in the thread said, when you've played the original so much that you can basically do it with your eyes closed, and you're playtesting certain sections repeatedly, you can definitely get a skewed perspective of thinking certain things are too easy when they're actually just about right for casual players.

That said, of course as I've said before the writing is spot on, and overall he did a good job of translating most of Ocarina's world into Banjo levels with some fun twists like the Zelda 1 dungeon part in the Forest Temple and the Hyrule Castle stuff in Castle Town. It also just hit me that the final level, Grunty's Castle, is essentially a completely original level since it isn't really based on anything in OoT. I mean, Ganon's Tower aesthetically but the level itself is nothing like how GT is in OoT. The music was great too with some neat choices like the Dancing Dragon tune in Gerudo Valley.

But I do agree that the levels were a bit too big (I said in this thread that part of the reason I prefer BK to Tooie is that Tooie's levels are far too big compared to BK's more compact levels), especially when you have the original's system of "Lose all your notes when you die" which is definitely some bullshit in places like Grunty's Castle with the slushie jumps.

It's a cool mod even if it's rough in places. I think I'm with everyone else in agreeing that the Forest Temple is probably the best level in the game, though Kakariko Village is pretty good too. I don't think that I'd have had too much fun playing it myself but I enjoyed watching you guys play it.

I always had the toughest time with the Jinjonator part of the Grunty fight too, having it in the middle of a lava moat is just mean.