Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

I haven't said much about this hack yet but I'm finding it really interesting to watch, I wouldn't have expected this to work nearly as well as it does. (I also hadn't been expecting them to literally redo all the Zelda areas in Banjo textures etc, I was expecting it to be closer to just reusing the Zelda geometry.) They've also definitely got the writing down, which helps; this feels more like a new Banjo game and less like a level pack than I'd been expecting.

It's... interesting. I have absolutely no desire to play this and think I'd almost certainly hate it, but I'm glad you guys are enjoying it, and it's seriously impressing me as what it is. (For some reason I was never able to get into the Banjo games at all, I remember buying B-K as one of my first games when I got an n64 as a kid and it just didn't grab me the way, say, Mario 64 did. Something about collectathons just always rubbed me the wrong way, despite it being tricky to draw a line between them and 3d platformers more broadly, I still haven't figured out quite what the issue is.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Quackles posted:

I though the original note collection rules were because they didn't have SRAM space to store them. So they were papering over that fact.

You'll note that in Tooie, notes are almost always found in nests (groups of 5).

Wow, that makes a surprising amount of sense, but also... seriously? Time for some maths.

Off the top of my head here... how many notes were in the game? 1000ish? If we save the collected status of the notes into 1-bit flags, you'd need something like 16 64-bit words (I don't know for sure if the "64 bit" n64 used a 64-bit word size, I'd have guessed it did but nothing is certain with that thing), or 32 32-bit words if it didn't; more relevantly, this is 125 total bits of storage which you can fully specify with an 8-bit address. So we're looking at 8 bits of storage for what address to write the flag for each of these 1000ish notes, that's just under 8MB, with some additional minor overhead for functions to actually interpret this data... okay, that wouldn't have been trivial with N64 ROM sizes. I think I've convinced myself it's a real problem and you're probably right.

Edit: d'oh, 8 bits x 1000 is just under 1MB, not 8MB. wtf, my brain? It's still not insignificant at the file sizes we're talking about (and still probably does explain why tracking them was impractical) but it's not quite as huge as I thought.

Explopyro fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Dec 4, 2020

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

A lot of these level designs are starting to look really dickish, but then I suspect that's part of the genre (and also typical romhack escalation fare). I'm simultaneously very impressed with the quality and thoroughness of this hack, and very glad I'm not the one playing it. I'm glad at least you guys seem to be enjoying it, because from this end of things it looks miserable.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

The music is Dancing Dragon Dungeon, from Oracle of Seasons. I was not expecting that one.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Jesus christ was that stressful to watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Cythereal posted:

As much as I like Ocarina and Banjo... I did not like this mod. I enjoyed the LP, but not because of the mod. Everything felt far too big, and on the obnoxious end of difficulty with pixel-perfect platforming, resource scarcity, wonderwing bullshit, and how obtuse a lot of this stuff was. I respect the hell out of the effort that went into making this mod, especially the music, but I don't care for the end result.

This is the impression I was left with too (though admittedly I'm not that high on the Banjo games either, I could never really get into them honestly). This looked more tedious than fun and you guys sounded very frustrated a lot of the time.

I'm really impressed with the effort and the aesthetics: Kurko absolutely nailed the writing and dialogue and did a great job reimagining familiar areas in the Banjo textures and so on. It's legitimately a great accomplishment. But it doesn't really feel like they put much thought into what it would be like to experience for the person holding the controller.

I'm glad you guys seem to have enjoyed it and I'm glad to have seen it but that's about the best I can say for it.

Looking forward to the next LP! (if it really is Hollow Knight then hey, I won't be the only one doing a bug game!)