Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
Echoing Nat's comment that the creator really has the B-K dialogue down pat. The writing is almost always the worst part of any romhack so it's a nice surprise to see Kurko actually putting in the effort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
Huge :hfive: to Tea for also taking time to draw up Zelda dungeon maps as a child. I'm sure if I looked hard enough I could find the old maps I drew for "Zelda V" back when Link's Awakening was the newest one. :v:

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

C-Euro posted:

Also I just remembered that I have seen the Gulf War Game Boy with my own eyes and it does indeed still work somehow. It's at the Nintendo Store in New York City, I was there a few years ago and I thought I took a picture but it's not on my phone.
Here's an article about it: https://www.esquire.com/lifestyle/a27183316/nintendo-game-boy-survived-gulf-war

I haven't seen it myself, but as someone who grew up in the 90s with three younger siblings and a house full of Nintendo products, none of which ever broke, I can believe it.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Walrus Pete posted:

Couldn't agree more. The mod is cool as hell and the people responsible deserve a ton of credit, but it looks like actually playing it would be kind of miserable.
:agreed:

For what it is, this mod is a goddamned achievement and Kurko and friends should be proud. But it definitely feels like a lot of the enjoyment of the mod comes from all the moments where you get a big :haw: grin on your face when you recognize a location or piece of music. I'm not knocking that aspect of the mod either; it really felt like a good 90% of the references to other games were actually cleverly done and not just the game poking you in the side saying "HEY REMEMBER THIS THING? HUH?" Considering how up their own rear end mod creators often go to prove their nerd cred, Jiggies of Time was a pleasant surprise in that regard.

All that said, it does seem like a bit of a slog to actually play. But I do wonder how much of that is really Kurko's fault, as opposed to an inherent problem of what he had to work with. He couldn't add any new mechanics to the game, and there were a lot of places where it felt like he had to somehow mash the mechanics of a particular jiggy from BK into the mod because he couldn't alter the code for it. I also wonder if part of it is just higher standards for modern games. We all love BK here but it did have a ton of flaws that weren't really considered "flaws" at the time, and people who go back to play it nowadays can look past a lot because of nostalgia.

Either way, I loved the hell out of this LP and will happily watch you two yelling at video games in the future. :)