Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: bagmonkey)

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Bangor or Bust

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Prof. Crocodile posted:

what do you think about the lions taking cb's in the first and second rounds?

I’m actually really happy with that because it’s better than gambling on overpromising offensive weapons. Also we got some monster dude in the 7th round or something that sounds dope so

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

ilovebeersooomuch posted:

Hello 5kpt, just wanted to let you know

• pet cat
  • fed cat
  • visit friends
  • ate hot dog
  • ate hamburger
  • drank beer
  • drank mead
  • drank beer
  • ate bismark

Thanks for LISTening

Truly addicted to cat and dog.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I have so many cool Stephen King stories

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

redshirt posted:

I have so many cool Stephen King stories

yeah I've got like a whole shelf

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

TIP posted:

yeah I've got like a whole shelf

That short story of the surgeon who crashes on a desert island and ends up having to cut himself up and eat is awesome.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

its my birthday on monday if everyone sends me ten bucks for my birthday i bet i can raise the remainder for a steamdeck

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

King's realistic fiction is some of his best stuff. And usually makes better movies.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

King's realistic fiction is some of his best stuff. And usually makes better movies.

Like "The Song of Susannah"

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

or Dreamcatcher

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Like, am I character in some King stories? Maybe. It's real weird to consider.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
i've never read anything by stephen king and my friends who have and know what I like to read tell me I probably wouldn't like most of his stuff or his general writing style :shrug:

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

redshirt posted:

Like, am I character in some King stories? Maybe. It's real weird to consider.

:tinfoil:

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

fartknocker posted:

i've never read anything by stephen king and my friends who have and know what I like to read tell me I probably wouldn't like most of his stuff or his general writing style :shrug:

Wow, he's one of the most popular writers of the 20/21st century.

You should read "The Gunslinger" imo. It's nice and short at like under 250 pages. Tight.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

lol I haven't read it but I have no doubt King literally has a tap into my brain so this book is somehow my fault. Or something.

JAnon
Jul 16, 2023

it's the wig snapping sis for me!

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

you should read The Mist and Returnal

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

SIDS Vicious posted:

you should read The Mist and Returnal

Have you read "The Regulators"?

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

I read The Mist not that long before the film came out and holy poo poo did that ending catch me by surprise.

Jimbone Tallshanks fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Apr 28, 2024

ilovebeersooomuch
May 23, 2014

Btw, the pickle brined chicken was delicious

ilovebeersooomuch
May 23, 2014

Stephen King's The Moist I'd read that

ilovebeersooomuch
May 23, 2014

I read The Mist not that long before the film came out and holy poo poo did that ending catch me by surprise.

Movie ending was better imho

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

redshirt posted:

Wow, he's one of the most popular writers of the 20/21st century.

You should read "The Gunslinger" imo. It's nice and short at like under 250 pages. Tight.

hence the :shrug:

I know part of it is I generally don't care for horror (Books or movies), which automatically throws out a sizeable chunk of his stuff. My best friend, who is also an avid reader and very much knows the sort of stuff I like (Both general overall content and King's usual prose) has read a few of his books and pretty much said I'd hate them.

Quick story regarding popular writers/stuff, I may have told this before: I was in elementary school when the Harry Potter books were coming out, just a bit younger than the characters were by the time the 4th book released. They were hugely popular, and apparently sensing that these were books that kids liked and wanted to read, the school pushed them hard, probably under the assumption that getting kids to read those books would get them into reading in general. The thing for me, even before the first book came out, is I was already reading normal books (Not strictly kids stuff) on my own and knew the topics and subjects I was interested in. I was a huge Star Wars fan and had already stumbled on to the old EU (My copy of Shadows of the Empire is old enough to rent a car), which had all sorts of stuff. I was also quickly becoming interested in military history, and our school was fairly new (It had opened in like 1990) so it had a very well stocked library of all sorts of stuff, like slightly-edited-for-children versions of stuff like Guadalcanal Diary or books on British Commandos in WWII. So, when given the choice between X-wings dogfighting TIE Fighters and the St. Nazaire Raid, or kids going to wizard school, them wizard kids could gently caress off. Same poo poo happened a few years later when we had to read the first Narnia books for a class, I had no interest in those dumb kids finding some half goat dude in a closet when I was already reading about the Black Sheep Squadron engaging in dogfights in the Solomon Islands or the history of the Apollo program or whatever I was personally interested in at the time.

Of course, in middle school I went through almost all the Tom Clancy books, so it's not like I completely ignored "popular" authors, but the best of those books involved Soviet tanks get blown up or had cool movies based on them (And then the later books in the 90s got really, really insane, even to teenage me), which were things I was interested in.

JAnon
Jul 16, 2023

it's my birthday today :D

JAnon
Jul 16, 2023

fartknocker posted:

hence the :shrug:

I know part of it is I generally don't care for horror (Books or movies), which automatically throws out a sizeable chunk of his stuff. My best friend, who is also an avid reader and very much knows the sort of stuff I like (Both general overall content and King's usual prose) has read a few of his books and pretty much said I'd hate them.

Quick story regarding popular writers/stuff, I may have told this before: I was in elementary school when the Harry Potter books were coming out, just a bit younger than the characters were by the time the 4th book released. They were hugely popular, and apparently sensing that these were books that kids liked and wanted to read, the school pushed them hard, probably under the assumption that getting kids to read those books would get them into reading in general. The thing for me, even before the first book came out, is I was already reading normal books (Not strictly kids stuff) on my own and knew the topics and subjects I was interested in. I was a huge Star Wars fan and had already stumbled on to the old EU (My copy of Shadows of the Empire is old enough to rent a car), which had all sorts of stuff. I was also quickly becoming interested in military history, and our school was fairly new (It had opened in like 1990) so it had a very well stocked library of all sorts of stuff, like slightly-edited-for-children versions of stuff like Guadalcanal Diary or books on British Commandos in WWII. So, when given the choice between X-wings dogfighting TIE Fighters and the St. Nazaire Raid, or kids going to wizard school, them wizard kids could gently caress off. Same poo poo happened a few years later when we had to read the first Narnia books for a class, I had no interest in those dumb kids finding some half goat dude in a closet when I was already reading about the Black Sheep Squadron engaging in dogfights in the Solomon Islands or the history of the Apollo program or whatever I was personally interested in at the time.

Of course, in middle school I went through almost all the Tom Clancy books, so it's not like I completely ignored "popular" authors, but the best of those books involved Soviet tanks get blown up or had cool movies based on them (And then the later books in the 90s got really, really insane, even to teenage me), which were things I was interested in.

oh drat really? woah

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

ilovebeersooomuch posted:

Movie ending was better imho

King himself said the same, or so I've read.

Which isn't a surprise, his endings are often the weaker parts of his stories.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

The first time I met Stephen King, formally, was right in front of a coffin, it's so perfect. At the time I was like "R U loving kidding me???"

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

redshirt posted:

The first time I met Stephen King, formally, was right in front of a coffin, it's so perfect. At the time I was like "R U loving kidding me???"

Oh poo poo that was the Stephen King cameo

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Oh poo poo that was the Stephen King cameo

Maybe. I don't even know. I might be a recurring King character. There's text evidence....

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

redshirt posted:

Have you read "The Regulators"?

yes and desperation alongside it, fantastic stuff he is so imaginative

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

ive read everything of his up to doctor sleep and the mr mercedes trilogy or whatever and i have copies of sleeping beauties and another one of his more recent books i just had a few bad brain years and couldnt sit and read a book at all so i gotta catch up

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

SIDS Vicious posted:

yes and desperation alongside it, fantastic stuff he is so imaginative

Yes! If you read The Regulators you also have to read Desperation!

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

I read desperation a while back and found it very readable, but also just so generically stephen king, felt like he hit so many familiar notes

I was gonna say that's the newest king I've read but I guess it's older than I thought, came out in 96

but still, the only newer ones I've read are bag of bones, dreamcatcher, and cell

I wasn't really crazy about any of those either, although dreamcatcher is kinda funny for the pure ridiculousness of stuff like mr gay and the shitweasels

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

TIP posted:

mr gay and the shitweasels

band name

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

TIP posted:

I read desperation a while back and found it very readable, but also just so generically stephen king, felt like he hit so many familiar notes

I was gonna say that's the newest king I've read but I guess it's older than I thought, came out in 96

but still, the only newer ones I've read are bag of bones, dreamcatcher, and cell

I wasn't really crazy about any of those either, although dreamcatcher is kinda funny for the pure ridiculousness of stuff like mr gay and the shitweasels

Did you read The Regulators?

Desperation/The Regulators is a cool linked story.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

I am at this place in my life where I'm not 100% sure what I want to do next. If anyone older than me hears this they start telling me what I need to do. Some people have given me advice that has been valuable to me and given me something to think about, but if they're like 5 years older or more it's all I need to do what they're doing in no uncertain terms. A lot of times it's that I should get into tech and how I "don't want to" work for a Japanese company. I get the criticisms of Japanese companies, but I don't know that they're really any worse than most American companies at this point. It's not the 80's or 90's anymore. That said, yeah. There's hosed up stuff. But working with a bunch of expats in the tech industry sounds like a special kind of Hell.

I don't know what I'm doing next, but I have time. I've gotten some advice and insights that I've found helpful, but Jesus Christ. I hate that whole railroading thing.

DorkusMalorkus
Aug 4, 2009

"That's not Latin!"
y'all keep saying "regulators"

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

redshirt posted:

Did you read The Regulators?

Desperation/The Regulators is a cool linked story.

I... think I did? I have no memories of the plot but I remember the covers next to each other and thinking "wow the artist really gave up" lol

yes I know the original releases had more interesting art that combined into one piece

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

DorkusMalorkus posted:

y'all keep saying "regulators"

*M'lady

*tips Fedora

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Having chevre on toast with an egg over easy babyyyy