Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: bagmonkey)

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

TIP posted:

seriously, chris pratt is not even trying to be garfield-like, garfield is just chris pratt now

Hell yeah! Who needs voice actors when you have celebraties who can barely act?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DorkusMalorkus
Aug 4, 2009

"That's not Latin!"
Holy poo poo why do they love crisp rat so loving much and put him in everything

He's the absolute epitome of mediocrity

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

DorkusMalorkus posted:

Holy poo poo why do they love crisp rat so loving much and put him in everything

He's the absolute epitome of mediocrity

Probably because he's so mediocre. Maximum marketability. Nobody LOVES oatmeal, but most people will eat it.

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

DorkusMalorkus posted:

what the hell did they do to garfield, he looks weird

Clearly it's a knockoff Garf in honor of Bagmo's birthday.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

I think chris pratt can be great when used correctly, but he's not what I'd call versatile and they keep casting him way out of his comfort zone

it seems like in the case of garfield they actually realized grumpy cat was not in his wheelhouse, but instead of using that knowledge to make a sane decision and cast someone else they just changed garfield into chris pratt

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

DorkusMalorkus posted:

I may not know Marketing, but I know Branding, and that's Branding!

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

I don't like Pratt but the whole Garfield thing I think has more to do with animated movies in the US constantly having all star casts of A list actors who just do their normal voice. It started with a cameo or lead role or two, but by now every major part is some major actor and actually good voice actors are relegated to background characters.

I'll have one of those square burgers. No combo plz.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

redshirt posted:

I may not know Marketing, but I know Branding, and that's Branding!

actually that's entergaging

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

DorkusMalorkus posted:

Nathen is gonna be PISSED.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

TIP posted:

actually that's entergaging

Shoot, I don't know Branding either.

The Brand is "Lasagna". Garfield is but the messenger.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

redshirt posted:

Shoot, I don't know Branding either.

The Brand is "Lasagna". Garfield is but the messenger.

Garfield is The Brand, heretic!

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
i dunno why but chris pratt garfield looks genetically related to jon

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Booty Pageant posted:

i dunno why but chris pratt garfield looks genetically related to jon

Maybe it wasn't dog cum after all...

DorkusMalorkus
Aug 4, 2009

"That's not Latin!"

Escape From Noise posted:

I don't like Pratt but the whole Garfield thing I think has more to do with animated movies in the US constantly having all star casts of A list actors who just do their normal voice. It started with a cameo or lead role or two, but by now every major part is some major actor and actually good voice actors are relegated to background characters.

I'll have one of those square burgers. No combo plz.

I feel you man, I can rant for hours minutes about voice actors.

You kinda said how I feel already, I hate that star-name-recognition is now more important than quality voice actors who have versatile talent. Like I didn't hate the first Trolls movie but Justin Timberlake is somehow even more mediocre than Chris Pratt and he really dragged that movie down. But the weirdest "celebrity voice" I can think of is in The Mitchells vs the Machines, which is a very good movie that I like a lot. HOWEVER, the voice of the family dog was actually performed by an Instagram-famous dog. A dog did a voice-over job! Like was Frank Welker not available, or does EVERY VOICE IN A MOVIE INCLUDING THE ANIMALS THAT DON'T SPEAK HUMAN have to now be done by a famous movie star?

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

The real voice of Mario, Chris Martinet, is a fun and interesting guy. Like ten years ago his landlord died and he couldn't find another place in his price range so he spent five years living out of a suitcase and doing events.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

DorkusMalorkus posted:

I feel you man, I can rant for hours minutes about voice actors.

You kinda said how I feel already, I hate that star-name-recognition is now more important than quality voice actors who have versatile talent. Like I didn't hate the first Trolls movie but Justin Timberlake is somehow even more mediocre than Chris Pratt and he really dragged that movie down. But the weirdest "celebrity voice" I can think of is in The Mitchells vs the Machines, which is a very good movie that I like a lot. HOWEVER, the voice of the family dog was actually performed by an Instagram-famous dog. A dog did a voice-over job! Like was Frank Welker not available, or does EVERY VOICE IN A MOVIE INCLUDING THE ANIMALS THAT DON'T SPEAK HUMAN have to now be done by a famous movie star?

I think it was a sign, if not a symptom of the Simpsons going downhill when non voice actor guest stars started being the main focus of the entire episodes. The Michael Jackson one worked because it was a B plot and the gag was he was a different guy with MJ's voice. It was definitely due to several other factors as well but having a member of the Simpson family performatively saying "Look! It's Blink 182!" and have them play one of their lame songs and make some lame throwaway joke didn't help.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

The real voice of Mario, Chris Martinet, is a fun and interesting guy. Like ten years ago his landlord died and he couldn't find another place in his price range so he spent five years living out of a suitcase and doing events.

Good voice actors are really great. Hearing them do their thing is so much fun.

While there's definitely a seedier side to it, voice actors being widely recognized in Japan for their voice acting is pretty cool imo. Using a bunch of different actors for the same characters even became a running gag in Pop Team Epic.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

I think it was a sign, if not a symptom of the Simpsons going downhill when non voice actor guest stars started being the main focus of the entire episodes. The Michael Jackson one worked because it was a B plot and the gag was he was a different guy with MJ's voice. It was definitely due to several other factors as well but having a member of the Simpson family performatively saying "Look! It's Blink 182!" and have them play one of their lame songs and make some lame throwaway joke didn't help.

I think that really started in season 10 or 11.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

haha how fun capitalism was a mistake

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

It's not like he couldn't afford any place, he just opted for a minimalist lifestyle.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

I almost had to hear a RHCP song. Close call!

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

TIP posted:

haha how fun capitalism was a mistake

Is this the "no cap" the kids are saying?

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

I think that really started in season 10 or 11.

More or less. There’s a handful in earlier of celebs voicing themselves, but it’s usually in minor roles (Mark Hamill, Ringo Starr, etc.), but season 10 includes the one where Homer runs into Alec Baldwin, Kim Basinger, and Ron Howard, which is admittedly an episode I find funny, but marks the point where they’re a focus.

The aforementioned episode with Blink 182 is also the episode where Bart got emancipated, which was the episode promoted as their 300th during season 15 (It’s actually like 303, as the episode jokes). The show had already been sliding for a few seasons by that point, and from there on, it starts going really downhill. Season 16 has a few particularly awful episodes.

tractor man
Nov 11, 2021

really hard cock pissing

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

:kiddo: I like RHCP, but will freely admit they’ve got some massively overplayed stuff and if you ain’t in the mood for them, it’s bleh.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

fartknocker posted:

:kiddo: I like RHCP, but will freely admit they’ve got some massively overplayed stuff and if you ain’t in the mood for them, it’s bleh.

I'm never in the mood TBH. I'd rather get something noisy and "take it on the other side" (brewery)

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

the kids just hate hats

DorkusMalorkus
Aug 4, 2009

"That's not Latin!"

DorkusMalorkus
Aug 4, 2009

"That's not Latin!"
Speaking of crapitalism, I have a rough/dark/broken spot on a tooth that just revealed itself tonight. It looks pretty bad, like it will just break more any minute. I'm gonna try to schedule a dentist appointment tomorrow, but who knows how long that will take. And I just recently found out (through a rejected claim) that my company provided "health savings account" can't be used to reimburse me for dental expenses for some loving reason.

Stupid luxury mouth bones

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

As I misguided youth I spent a fair amount of time during my middle school days listening to the laughably bad band KoRn and would it up if one of those songs came on the radio. Sometimes the radio edit of their sort of hit ADIDAS pops into my head. In it, they can't say the f word so either a Jonathan Davis who doesn't give a poo poo, or a not great impersonator of him replaces the word "fffuuuuuuucking!" In the chorus with this weird drawn out "hhhhhhhuuuuuuuumping!". It's really loving humping funny.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Definitely not an issue that I had to wipe mold off of a yeast sachet before pitching it into the tank today.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

I feel sort of weird and off today. I'm tired but things went pretty smoothly, all things considered. I guess it's because last night I had this dream that I'd had this really bad day at work, and I came home really miserable. I don't really remember any specifics, just how it felt. When I woke up and realized that I still had that day ahead of me still it felt like I was repeating the day or something? Not really a bad feeling or anything necessarily just really off.

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
have you pooped today? pooping always makes me feel better

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Booty Pageant posted:

have you pooped today? pooping always makes me feel better

Dropped a big ol' d this morning before I left for work. So good, but not done on company time.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Just impressed the part-timer at work by opening a stubborn jar of olives WITH MY BARE HANDS!

She responded with...I guess the way to translate it would be "of course!" Which cracked me up.

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
now if it were a jar of pickles i bet she'd invite you over to meet her family

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

I'm watching 2010, the sequel to 2001

it came out 16 years after the original, and looks worse in every way, but then again so do most movies

I'm kinda enjoying it as just a spooky space adventure with a bunch of actors I like

roy scheider, john lithgow, bob balaban, helen mirren, and candice bergen as SAL-9000 :lmao:

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
ok so i watched fallout and fallout 76 is having a demo sale thingy, sure i'll bite... oh it's nearly 100 GIGABYTES????? whose friccen mod collection am i downloading just so i can play with strangers

Ruby Gloom
May 8, 2004

i showed u my trash pls respond

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

roy scheider has a pet dolphin in 2010, and a dolphin in his ship on seaquest dsv

there was likely access to dolphins on the set of jaws...

I think roy is a dolphin fucker who has shaped his career around easy access to dolphins