Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

endlessmonotony posted:

Organized religion has this whole problem with being unaccountable.

You might have heard about some of the problems it has led to in... uh, every faith that has ever inherited an organization?

Faith's like wealth, kids shouldn't inherit their parents'.

I'm confused, are you for or against inherited wealth?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

sebzilla posted:

Hot take: earnest wholehearted belief in a supernatural religion in 2020 is p. bonkers and lowers my opinion of the critical thinking abilities of anyone who announces their beliefs to me.

Like if you were brought up in a church and like the community bits then I guess cool, whatever, but actual God stuff? For real? Why?

Counts double for people who come to it later in life and haven't had it forced on them from youth.

Well, a wise man once told me I need to have faith, and I guess I do.

In something supernatural? Eh, you figure it out. I won't bother.

Can't agree with the way organized religion treats people who just want to be honest about themselves though. It's just easier to be who you are and not give half a poo poo if people disagree.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

sebzilla posted:

Hot take: earnest wholehearted belief in a supernatural religion in 2020 is p. bonkers and lowers my opinion of the critical thinking abilities of anyone who announces their beliefs to me.

Like if you were brought up in a church and like the community bits then I guess cool, whatever, but actual God stuff? For real? Why?

Counts double for people who come to it later in life and haven't had it forced on them from youth.
Societies that don't have something bigger than the individual tend to be highly atomized, individualistic, unhappy, addiction-prone, and bad at responding to society-wide events like this pandemic.

Doesn't have to be a creator-god (I assume that's what you mean by actual God stuff, God in the monotheistic Abrahamic sense, that is omniscient yet also cares about the daily thoughts of adherents), it could also be belief in a way of life, like Stoicism or Confucianism, or belief in some unit greater than the self like society or the nation or the emperor. But everyone has to be on the same page about it for it to work, and anything that is bigger than the self starts sounding a bit supernatural, even some of the descriptions of what the worker should strive for as a communist. The polar opposite would be that town run by libertarians bears eventually, who have no need for theology.

It all seems ridiculous to the secular liberal individualistic society, but then again liberalism ish alsho a ridiculous ideology.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Gambrinus posted:

Johnson and Hancock should be afraid to ever set foot in public again. Hope they get their food spat in. Hope someone takes a baseball bat to them. Cunts.
They will both eventually retire from politics with nothing but praise from the media and their peers, they'll get a cushy job in the private sector to supplement the money they make from making speeches, and they'll end up with knighthoods and theres absolutely gently caress all that you, I, or anyone else in this country will do about it.

I kind of get the weird admiration that certain people have for Boris given his image and his stunts, but Matt Hancock? Matt loving Hancock. The man who immediately exudes the most "I am a tedious and incompetent middle manager" energy of anyone on the planet? Any time anyone says anything flattering about him, even going back as far as the last election where it was plainly obvious who he is, deserves to be ridiculed, and more importantly, have their wallet inspected.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Goodbye 2020, a loving terrible year it has been. I moved for a new job right as this all kicked off, so I've spent 9 months alone stuck in an empty flat unable to get to know anyone and only seeimg new colleaguesrarely on video. And becausing of this loving governments incompetence I've got months of this this ahead.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

isabelle oakshot nuking the lib dem’s and then coming out as a right wing nutter is pretty funny

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/PaulBrandITV/status/1344701745130254343

Email has now been published.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Can we assume it is more probable now that if you get infected, at least one or more of the chain of people that infected you just didn't give a gently caress and knew they had it but still went outside?

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

happyhippy posted:

Can we assume it is more probable now that if you get infected, at least one or more of the chain of people that infected you just didn't give a gently caress and knew they had it but still went outside?

No? Remember, a significant proportion of infected are asymptomatic, some are presymtomatic, and others are economically unable to not leave their house due to employment.

You're just channelling your hatred at the public over the government.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
It would just seem sarcastic to wish anyone a happy new year atm imo but um... keep on truckin' everyone :)

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Good luck for 2021 goons. You’re some of the best people out there and this thread has always been a source of information, different perspectives, discussion, education and when it’s needed encouragement. Let’s try to keep hope. Under the prison, the beach!

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
a Happy Neutrally-Reported Brexmas to all

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Oh is this that freedom yanks are always going on about. i don't like it

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
At the start of 2020 I planned to get much more involved in local campaigns, volunteering etc.

Ok, that didn't turn out so hot this year but in 2021...

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Jel Shaker posted:

isabelle oakshot nuking the lib dem’s and then coming out as a right wing nutter is pretty funny

Have you got the right witch? She's always been a right wing nutter.

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/media/imperial-college/medicine/mrc-gida/2020-12-31-COVID19-Report-42-Preprint-VOC.pdf

Interest paper on the new variant: more transmissible and impacting the under 20s much more.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Regarde Aduck posted:

I can't actually listen to these dickheads anymore. I mean the scientists and experts. They are at best weak willed and unable to convince the people that matter and at worse actively stupid. Every crisis point, such as this, has just as many 'experts' argueing the exact opposite. Which means half of them are lying or wrong. There's been no consensus on anything. It's all hosed.

This is not usually due to a lack of scientific consensus so much as most scientists not having a bigger public platform than their Twitter. See a much larger issue than covid - anthropogenic climate change. There has been a scientific consensus on the broad strokes of that for decades. If you read a paper on, for instance, Arctic ecology the opening paragraphs where they describe the context will be full of hair-raising, literal end-of-the-world facts that are completely established and accepted by the relevant scientific community. Yet even now when you get a distinguished professor on TV saying how hosed we are there has to be opposing them some crank paid to claim that Shell is a green company and everything is fine, for balance. No surprise then that people think there is ongoing uncertainty on the issue.

I don't know much about virology or epidemiology, but I imagine that the public discourse is no less enthusiastically muddied there. Plus, unlike climate change, it is actually a pretty new phenomenon so there would inevitably be some disagreement even if everyone were acting in complete good faith.

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Dec 31, 2020

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
97 minutes until there needs to be someone who understands the deal and can implement it competently!

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Also an early happy new year to all you UKMT folk. Haven't been keeping up with the thread so much of late, but I hope you are all having a good one tonight despite the restrictions and wish you the very best in 2021.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
This will likely be the first of many complaints into the ether as the country falls apart but my hoover bag order got cancelled by the seller on eBay because she didn't know what would be happening with NI orders so I had to hoak out all the dust and cat hair from the used one into the bin in the wet and cold this afternoon getting all lungfulls of dust* going "arararagaghahh... uuuuugggghghghhhh" like that, with my eyes as closed as possible :mad:

still i'm sure 2021 is going to be great

*i did put on a dust mask but still

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

Apraxin posted:

a Happy Neutrally-Reported Brexmas to all

hehehehehe it's all just a bit of a laugh really https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-55348994 :sparkles:

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Happy new year to all of you folks, and as vain as it might be, hoping that 2021 turns out better.

In the same spirit as Eel Man from a few pages back, I had a hearty chuckle reading this news article from people in Kent who are utterly shocked that all the things "Project Fear" warned would happen, are in fact happening.

https://www.kentonline.co.uk/dover/news/living-in-the-shadow-of-brexits-customs-clearance-sites-239412/

quote:

Lorries will still be held on the Sevington plot if there is disruption at the ports

But neighbours living nearby who have already faced disruption during the construction programme fear it will only get worse when the site opens.

Rick Martin, chairman of Sevington with Finberry parish council, said earlier this year how people are concerned about what effect the project will have on house prices and quality of life.

He said: "Brexit was the will of local people – 59% in Ashford voted Leave, in line with 59% in Kent overall – and many are now sadly realising the reality of what their vote entailed for their local area.

Kent could get hit by a nuke and people would still be concerned about their house prices.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Kent could get hit by a nuke and people would still be concerned about their house prices.

Yeah if The Way The Wind Blows came out today that couple would spend 95% of their time doomscrolling on Zoopla

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I'm all for Kent in particular getting hosed by brexit after voting for it lol

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Jose posted:

Britain's strategic piss reserve

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
I’m worried the Kermit will spread and you’ll have to get a SUXMIT and a HAMMIT to move between counties.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Brexit!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoKfjtNxjn0
But it's filled with bottles of piss instead.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

sebzilla posted:

Hot take, anything that gives people some loving solace in our cruel late capitalist world is an entirely understandable thing to seek. I put my faith in the global victory of communism of some sort at some indeterminate time in the future because you loving need something more or it just gets too drat bleak

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Jose posted:

only benefit imo

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Feeling a bit more sovereign to be honest.

Edit: Wait, that was gas.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

Hot take, anything that gives people some loving solace in our cruel late capitalist world is an entirely understandable thing to seek. I put my faith in the global victory of communism of some sort at some indeterminate time in the future because you loving need something more or it just gets too drat bleak

I just never understood how it’s any solace at all. “Ooh, I hope there’s a cosmic overlord who randomly kills people on a whim (and in our own mythology once literally murdered every human on Earth bar a single family he liked) and constantly watches and judges us under penalty of infinite torment if we don’t please him enough! It makes me feel so warm to think about it!”

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish
Good luck everyone, I wish you all a lovely new year

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Because it's not about the god, it's about the community. People feel good getting together and doing some ritual or other that makes them feel part of the same group.

The worst people are the ones that take it either way too seriously, like those that demand that the earth must be 6,000 years old and flat, otherwise their god can't be real, but somehow ignore the bits about no public prayer and give all your poo poo to the poor, or the people that take it way too seriously in the other direction and say it's irrational. Oh also the people that use it as an excuse to nonce kids or do sectarian violence, they're terrible but just in general, not specifically because they're using cover of religion.

It's made up, but so are nations and languages (and the people who take those far too seriously are usually bad too).

We as a thing are defined by symbolism and nonsense, like this bunch of symbols that I just hammered out that only makes any loving sense because a bunch of us all agreed on what they mean.

I have a little statue of Hestia on my mantel, any Greek or Roman of a certain era would recognize that instantly as something to protect the home and hearth, do I believe it stops the house from catching fire? No, but I know that's where statues of Hestia go, because people know that, even if it's there for a very different reason, to stop the Pope from entering my house through the chimney. Not happened once since I put it there.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

https://mobile.twitter.com/Breaking911/status/1344781682537361417

are any of you feeling any different in the last 17 minutes? More sovereign perhaps?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

PawParole posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Breaking911/status/1344781682537361417

are any of you feeling any different in the last 17 minutes? More sovereign perhaps?

I feel very tired, whereas normally this time of night I'm wide awake and doing tweaky stuff on websites or spreadsheets.
Still, I've managed to get to credit card debt zero for the start of the new year.

frankenbeans
Feb 16, 2003

Good Times
It's funny to me that we can't even Brexit on UK time. It shows how much we're taking back control.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
My brother managed to get his eldest (adult) son's residency thing for France in with an hour to spare.
(His younger kids have got French passports).

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Happy New Year UK goons. Thanks for being a good bunch and combining political education with crisps and other various chats.

The Dutch ban on fireworks is going very well - the kitten's first experience and she's very confused and running around trying to find the source of the noise (hint - it's everywhere).

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Jose posted:

Kent gets even better https://twitter.com/kent_online/status/1344714952528039936?s=21

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
The 'carry on trucking' movie writes itself at this point and is very on brand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
If it grows exponentially, doubling in area every minute, Brexit could be done in just over half an hour.