Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Anyone got an update on Keir's deeply held values?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Guavanaut posted:

They know what they did.

EVERYONE knows what they did.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

multijoe posted:

We have ordered enough doses of a domestically produced vaccine to cover the entire population alone and its being administered primarily by one of the only institutions in this country which still functions, despite the Tories best efforts.

In this particular case I just don't think a reflexive nihilism towards the situation really holds up, I dont doubt there'll be bureaucratic and supply chain gently caress ups along the way but I have no idea where you think this year long delay is coming from when the vaccines are already being mass produced and the first one just got authorised today.

Reflexive nihilism? That assumes the person thinks this had a snowball's chance in hell.

Everything else you said is also ridiculous but if you can't see why, I guess go write for the Guardian or something.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

It's still funny that he thinks just because the UK government ordered something they'll get what they ordered and it works.

Or doesn't think at all about the scale. Eh, that's baseline human.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

multijoe posted:

we're not just going to be sitting around with a thumb up our arses for the next year either.

It would be a lot easier to stop the pandemic if you were.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Vigil for Virgil posted:

Well? Did it work

You know the answer (and so do I).

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

is it a laser? if it is, drum sounds knacked. If it's inkjet, lol that's other people's problems

If it's inkjet, it's powered by self-loathing and the vengeful dreams of children murdered for your technology.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

No, Savage.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

stev posted:

The breast options are small, default and big.

What the gently caress is a default breast.

A brilliant username?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
How's the thread on Canon color laser printers?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

forkboy84 posted:

How long has she been on them? Because it can take up to 2 months before they actually work, and in those 2 months you can deal with side effects which are pretty lovely and can be a blow to self esteem (total lack of sex drive and erectile issues from my own, male, experience).

Really just let her know you're there, and not to get worried if they don't kick in immediately

I had to stop taking a SSRI because it conflicted with more important medication and goddamnit I miss the total lack of sex drive as a "side effect".

Totally being able to zone out other people and not worry what they think about me and I think about them? Giev. I was like an emotionless robot on them. Miss it real bad.

Now, getting used to them (and being without them too) gave me the zaps and just constant zoning out and nausea. That part wasn't fun.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Bobby Deluxe posted:

The problem with middle class libs is that they absolutely do not want to look at anything at more than a surface level, because it undoes the fabric of the rug they've thrown over all the problems in the world in order to convince themselves the system works and they are on the right side of history (now that it's ended of course).

TLDR: They're dickheads, but they want to sound clever. If you point out they're not clever, that's mean and you're mean for making them think about things.

Better tl;dr - they're more concerned with being right than improving anything at all.

You'll see that pattern repeat a lot.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

OwlFancier posted:

The problem with liberalism being the dominant ideology is it attracts the utterly incurious and stupidest people around, because you don't have to think, you just babble things you heard somewhere else and ape the tone of others and everyoe nods along like an idiot.

To be fair that's just what humans do by default.

Because things have been fine for me thus far, they'll continue being fine as long as nothing changes, so anyone who wants to change anything is bad. Thinking only makes you upset.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Yeah, there's a huge difference between not knowing, and actively resisting knowing.

Nobody can know everything in advance, so when something you don't know comes up, research from places you trust, admit you don't know, ask, learn.

Do what seems like a reasonable amount based on how connected you are to the thing- we probably don't need to understand the finer points of infection control, but if if you're PM during a pandemic and it's your loving job, then yeah, not doing the reading is absolutely damning.

E: same applies to graun journalists wanting to be seen as the authority on things they vaguely recall from middle school.

The worst people in the world are those who think they already know it all.

I know multiple philosophers who would disagree.

But then you ask what it's good for and the answer's mostly "knowing useful knowledge is mostly either a posteriori or pulled out of your rear end".

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

OwlFancier posted:

You could also view that as just another part of the evolutionary process though, there is a latent desire for that kind of poo poo, people create algorithms that drive engagement, many forms of engagement are harmful to society and to individuals but when has the drive for profit ever cared about that? So more effective algorithms are created and better ways to bombard people with content and people who believe the poo poo create more content in more ways and refine their methods further and you end up here.

You end up here, says man, halfway down the swirl in the toilet bowl.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It's absolutely this, and it's definitely not a coincidence that conspiracy theories have exploded in the last decade and particularly the last five years. The gap between the image of life sold by the media and politicians is so far removed from the lived reality of so many people that it creates a massive, fertile field for conspiracy theories to take root in.

What we are and what we're told we should be are in incessant conflict and it's destroying all of us.

There's reality as it is, and then there's what we make true by believing in it, and the latter is kudzu growing on our lives.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The subhead does say that it's unlikely. All of the mRNA vaccines are targeted on the "spike" of the virus, the bit that does the actual infecting - if that mutates too much then the virus loses some or all of it's ability to actually infect us. It's not *impossible* that it can mutate enough to both evade all of the current vaccines (which all, AFAIK, target different bits) and stay as virulent, but that's lottery-winning odds.

(Note that my only expertise on this is the standard armchair virology I feel like everyone's picked up over the last 9 months)

The spike being what it is is a major factor in COVID being as dangerous as it is, though.

Also that possibility has been explored and there's more backup plans for that problem than possibly any in the history of science. It'd just take starting testing from scratch.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Failed Imagineer posted:

I get that this is not real advice, but is there any logic to "the taller the building, the safer you are"? For either Brexit or nuclear war I suppose

The taller the building, the more expensive it was, and rich people don't suffer consequences.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Z the IVth posted:

I wonder why the EU doesn't just drag it's feet and let Britain starve because of interminable customs queues. They can send peacekeepers and annex the choiciest parts after we descend into a rerun of 1990s Yugoslavia.

Unironically because the EU knows it couldn't pull off letting children starve without a mass rebellion even in the right-winger ranks. Gotta remember, half of the right-wing wants to call themselves Christian.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
So how did Brexit work out, in the end?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

OwlFancier posted:

Still hasn't happened yet. Or has, depending on how you look at it. Brexit is kind of like hell in that you become dislocated from time and space but it's still pretty unpleasant.

Yeah well I find myself just seeing Dr Manhattan ('s glowing blue dong).

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

peanut- posted:

Now they seem stunned that the rest of the world believed them.

Yeah well have you seen the poo poo they've been spouting?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
So the government panicked about a PR backlash, told a ridiculous lie, everyone else went "better not take chances", and now the UK's cancelled Christmas and ensured there's a run on everything as shipments grind to a halt... before Brexit even happens? Is that really looking like the most likely scenario?

This was never funny because people I care about are stuck in the middle. But even if it had been it would have gone to this being just sad by now. Well, by May. I don't know what this is.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Regarde Aduck posted:

Considering there was always a chance this would end up like the flu where you have to get the vaccine every year I assume the logistical frameworks are going to remain in place so it's not like a complete restart. This depends on how short sighted different governments are being. Biggest danger is the pharma industry getting too greedy and making everything non-viable. Then we get deus ex and the vaccine turns into ambrosia.

Why contain it?

's cool.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Gonzo McFee posted:

So if it does turn out to be a lie, if it does turn out that the PM having insisted on spreading the virus through open schools and absolutely hosed everything decided to lie and say there was a mutant strain that caused the rest of the world to turn us into a leper colony how many points will they drop in the polls? 2-3%?

Keir clears him of all wrongdoing and drops about five percent.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

The Question IRL posted:

And the whole reason why he was immune to Delaney's charm was he could recognise how they were the same.
I've always found that interesting.

One can turn off the other's tricks and that's why they all hate each other like nothing else.

They know exactly what kind of monsters they are.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Brendan Rodgers posted:

You should probe yourself for the drunkposting Jose, you are abusing your Power

I didn't see what you posted though, it's just that the forum should exist in a state of permanent revolution

This forum is, will be and always has been revolting.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

EU saving us from ourselves. Just wondering when the Red Cross air drops will start?

https://twitter.com/jsphctrl/status/1341741283212193795?s=20

It'll be UNICEF, going "listen, we aren't going to ask who we're giving oatmeal and government cheese to, just take it and move along".

They will start in -10 days.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Reuters is reporting that there's a deal that is being distributed among the EU27. Who knows if it's been agreed to yet.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

knox_harrington posted:

The 52% efficacy at the time of the second dose is because not enough time has elapsed since the patients who received the vaccine developed immunity. They don't show any longer term data on patients who got a single dose only. The COVID cases in the control group continue in a straight line, and the active vaccine group plateaus.

What is clear is that there were only a couple of cases between days 14-28 in vaccinated participants. There is no apparent change in incidence after the second dose. I don't think it's unreasonable to suspect a single dose is sufficient, particularly given the limited supply.

I don't think it's unreasonable to call Blair an idiot who should shut up because he doesn't have nearly enough information to make a claim like that.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
So the Brexit deal is Cameron's deal, except Frankfurt and Paris get the financial sector of London, UK no longer gets a seat at the EU table and Britain sacrificed a massive amount of money to the uncertainty?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Gort posted:

I think you'll find our service and financial sectors are small potatoes compared to growing our fishing quota by 25%

More fish, less chips. Everyone wins!

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Cerv posted:

Johnson commanding a majority of +80 unlike May's minority of -20 does make it as good as impossible for parliament to do that.

Also Keir has a lot of rich people behind him who want the deal to go through.

Though Labour voting the deal down would permanently destroy the party, so maybe they'll vote against it anyway.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Fumble posted:

Is it a better or worse than Mays deal?

Eh.

Given the time spent uncertain, it's far far worse, but deal-wise it's a solid "eh".

It IS worse than Cameron's deal.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Kin posted:

Depends on the things i got, but things like the meat i got will last until the end of Feb; pastas porridge and such until summer.

Thing is, it's stuff we're going to eventually eat anyway, we just don't have to go to the shops for it as often.

I'm actually thinking of doing the same thing again to cut down on trips to the supermarket at the weekends over the year.

Not sure on the environmental impact though, like we've got a new freezer running 24/7 in the garage, but does that offset the half hour drive to and from the supermarket?

Chest freezers sip power and are way more efficient than you'd think. Just make sure it has space to dissipate the heat produced by the cooling unit

You can easily improve them with more insulation if you know what you're doing and don't mind them being a little wider.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

stev posted:

It's sort of an open secret when multiple techbro companies have admitted to selling location data.

People think they can prevent that by turning off the GPS.

Meanwhile the data from your modem can also be used to track you. If you can receive a call, the towers know where you are, which means the provider knows where you are, which means the government knows where you are.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

CyberPingu posted:

Macron wakes up from his sleep. Grabs his phone and rings his secretary of state.

"Yes, zis is Emmanuel, I have an idea. Meet me at calais, and bring a rifle"

The rest of the EU would actually stop France if they tried this.

We like some Brits.

... not the rich ones though, which gives the EU an unifying thread for treating Britain.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Niric posted:

2020 so I don't even know what's real any more

Yup that's everyone

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
What does wet egg think he's trying to accomplish?

The humiliation fetish is left as the only explanation isn't it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

forkboy84 posted:

My man reads The National, the paper that launched after the indyref because there was a gaping hole in the market for a paper that didn't hate independence, a view held by a couple million people. Unfortunately it is loving appalling but whatever, so are all the other papers so that's ot unique.

But they often have wee stories on incredibly dumb culture war bullshit. Not the culture war you expect mind, less raving against trans people and more...well, this

Outlander blasted for portrayal of prince

The article itself is basically just churnalism, a press release for some book (the final paragraph is "A talk given by the author earlier this month to introduce the book and answer questions about it from a has been uploaded by Birlinn on its YouTube channel, which can be found at by searching “Birlinn Books” on the site." which is just amazingly low effort) by the chairman of The 1745 Association.

The highlight is he asks why South Africa could have a Truth & Reconciliation Commission but we haven't had one for a conflict older than the USA.

I needed to get that off my chest because my mam reads this drivel.

Sorry about your ex-partner.

:sever: